Vengeance

Behind The Mask

EXO’s POV

Kai struggled against his restraints as he watched helplessly at Hyeri being dragged away into a separate room. He wanted to scream but his voice was muffled by the cloth around his mouth. Panic and worry arose in him when Hyeri didn’t fight back.

“Finally, it’s over and done with. That little was around for too long when she should’ve died along with her father.” Minhyuk spat before a smug grin spread across his face, obviously very proud of his achievement. Without another word, he exited the room with all his lackeys following after him like the obedient dogs they were.

On the other hand, Kai searched frantically for a mean of escape. s around him were doing the same. He knew he had to save Hyeri but his priority was to set himself and s free first. They were useless in this state. They struggled against their restraints, pulling at their tied hands. They failed to get free at every attempt. Trying again for the umpteenth time, they received a surprise when the door of the warehouse opened with a loud creak and faint footsteps could be heard approaching them.

As the figure stood under the light, her identity was exposed, causing Exo to throw menacing glares towards her direction. Yerin flinched at the intensity of their glares and shifted her weight from one foot to the other before nervously fishing out a pocket knife. She slowly approached Kai with hesitant steps feeling the eyes of all the Exo boys on her – wary of her actions. When she was a few steps away from Kai, she kneeled down and looked at him straight in the eyes. Kai could see a hint of guilt, anxiousness and even sadness in her eyes. She inhaled a shaky breath before opening to speak.

“I-I’m sorry. I-I know what I did was wrong b-but I had no choice in the matter. Someone… Someone that I really cared about is being held against me and the only way for me to keep him safe is to follow my father’s instructions. But I realised that I’ve gotten more people’s lives into danger. So now I’m going to help you free.” With that said, Yerin went to work and cut the ropes off Kai.

“Hyeri should be in the first room after the door at the other end of the warehouse. You need to go to her now before it’s too late.” Yerin urged Kai as she started working on cutting off the ropes binding Xiumin. Kai didn’t need another push and he was off even before she could finish her sentence.

It didn’t take long before the rest of the members were freed and they quickly followed after Kai. However, Sehun, the last one to be freed stopped momentarily to turn and face Yerin. A small grateful smile graced his lips as he thanked her before running after his hyungs.

As he reached the room that his noona was supposedly said to be in, he only saw his hyungs staring wide-eyed at the thrashed room and most of ZE:A sprawled out on the floor, completely knocked out cold with major injuries. There were no traces of Hyeri anywhere.

“Search the whole place. We need to find Hyeri asap.” Kris ordered and the boys immediately split up into groups of threes before going off into different directions so as to cover more area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kim Hyeri’s / Your POV

was going to go down.

As Dongjun lunged towards you, you skilfully dodged away and aimed a roundhouse kick right across his face, successfully hitting him. He stumbled backwards but managed to steady himself. His hands immediately went up to touch his jaw to inspect the damage done. Kevin took it as a sign for him to make his move, sneaking up behind you only to get kicked right where it hurts. He fell to the floor clutching onto his crotch as he curled up into a foetus position.

By that time, Dongjun and Taeheon teamed up and ran towards you and successfully managed to grab both your arms each, keeping you in place. Kwanghee stepped forward and aimed a punch in your gut. Swiftly, you kicked Dongjun’s shin which caused him to loosen his grip on your arm and you forcefully yanked it from his hold. You then threw yourself sideways into Taeheon just as Kwanghee approached, dragging the former down with you. He released your arm in the process, allowing you to swipe Kwanghee’s feet and making him fall on top of Taeheon, both groaning at the impact. As you stood back up, the rest of ZE:A were circling you, ready to attack.

Too occupied with the other ZE:A members, you momentarily forgot about the two that had just been knocked down. Thus, resulting in you getting thrown against the wall by Kwanghee who had sneaked up from behind, hitting your head quite hard. You whimpered at the throbbing pain. You reached out your hand to the injured area and when you brought it back in front of you, you saw the familiar bright red liquid staining your fingers.

You looked ahead of you and knew you were at a disadvantage since you were greatly outnumbered and the chances of you winning this fight were slim but you were willing to take it. After all, you weren’t going down without a fight. Your resolve making you more determined than ever.

You forced yourself to sit up and slowly stood up by using the wall behind you as support. You wavered a few times but managed to hold yourself up with one hand still against the wall while the other clutched onto your head that was still in pain.

Four of them, Siwan, Hyungsik, Heechul and Minwoo, took calculated steps towards you. You carefully observed them, hoping to predict their next move when you spotted Hyungsik making eye contact with Heechul. You gulped. Unconsciously, your hands clenched into fists.

Minwoo made a sudden dash towards you and aimed a punch straight at your face. He was too fast. On reflex, you brought your arms out in front of you in an ‘X’ formation and waited for the impact. However, you didn’t feel anything. 

“The ?! What the hell are you doing?!” You heard the distinct voice belonging to Junyoung shouting in bewilderment.

You lowered your arms to find yourself looking at the back profile of two ZE:A members. Lying on the floor in front of them were Siwan and Minwoo who seemed to be in a daze as they held onto their face and abdomen respectively.

“Sorry but we can’t let you hurt Hyeri.” Hyungsik announced as he got into a fighting stance.

“What?! Have you gone insane?! Unbelievable!” Junyoung shouted for the second time, disbelief written across his face. The same look that the other 6 betrayed members had.

“Oh, believe it, hyung.” Heechul retorted as he too, got into a fighting position.

“W-what?” You managed to croak out.

“We’ll explain to you later. We’re your allies now.” Hyungsik turned to face you and tried his best to give you a reassuring smile.

*I guess I’ll just take my chances.*

With newfound strength, you stood upright with a fiery gaze. “Let’s do this.”

You charged forward, your pain forgotten, and started to beat the crap out of the ZE:A members. You took on Junyoung, Taeheon and Kwanghee while Hyungsik went up against Siwan and Minwoo, and Heechul went up against Dongjun and Kevin. All of you not backing down and giving it your all.

Fists were landing straight punches everywhere and kicks were thrown mercilessly. You grabbed onto Junyoung and kicked him in the gut so forcefully that he flew back into Taeheon. Junyoung’s fist that was clenched and directed at you flew back as well and hit Taeheon in the face. Just as you were regaining composure, Kwanghee charged at you. His foot missed your head by inches as you rolled over on the floor. You caught sight of dagger and without second thoughts, grabbed for it and threw it directly at Kwanghee. The dagger pierced into his abdomen and Kwanghee let out a strangled cry before falling to his knees. His hands clutched onto the dagger.

Junyoung and Taeheon doubled their efforts at the sight of their injured member. You reached for the nearest object and flung it towards Junyoung. The empty glass bottle hit him at the side of his head. The strong impact to his head sent him crashing to the floor, unconscious. By this time, Taeheon was already holding on to a metal pipe and charging for you. You deftly escaped the swing of the pipe and knocked him out by pressing the correct pressure point with the appropriate amount of strength that is enough to make him unconscious but not hard enough for him to die.

Once all three of your attackers were down, you searched for Hyungsik and Heechul who were also already done with taking down their members. The three of you stared at each other until Hyungsik decided to break the silence.

“I’ll keep it short. I’ve finally had enough with the boss treating me like trash especially ever since he found out I was dating his daughter, Yerin. He’s been using me to get to Yerin but we thought it was high time that we stopped being afraid of him and took actions. Yerin must have freed Exo by now.”

“I’m just here for support. We’re childhood friends so I can’t just abandon him. We’ll help you out if you want to get your revenge on the boss.” Heechul continued and offered a tiny smile.

“Heh. Can’t believe I’m actually getting help from you guys.” You let out a chuckle but accepted their help nonetheless.

“I’m gonna end this once and for all.” You declared. The fiery look in your eyes scared the two ZE:A members. You had a score to settle and you weren’t going to hold back any longer.

“We’ll lead you to where he is. Come on. We don’t have much time before somebody finds out about this.” Heechul urged before heading for the door.

You decided to pick up a dagger that was lying around on the floor before following them as they ran along the hallway. Heechul led the three of you, always making sure that it was safe to pass by the many rooms.

“The boss is usually in one of the rooms underground but the lift needs a key to go to the basement. We have to get that first. Give us a minute.” Hyungsik explained and instructed you to hide while they retrieved the key.

You watched as Heechul and Hyungsik knocked on one of the doors. A burly man with bulging muscles opened the door. His arms were lined with tattoos and he was obviously displeased with the appearance of the two boys in front of him. This was further proven when he addressed them.

“What the hell do you brats want?”

“We need the key to the basement. The boss gave orders to deliver to him some important materials.” Heechul swiftly lied without batting an eye.

The man clicked his tongue in annoyance but went ahead to give them the mentioned key but not without a slight warning. “I better get it back, punks.”

The door was harshly slammed in their faces before any of them could retort to his threat. They merely shrugged it off and motioned for you to come out of your hiding place. You walked closely behind them. Luck seemed to be on your side as you made it to the elevator without any problems.

Just as the elevator door closed, a loud explosion shook the entire place and threw you off balance with your back hitting against the elevator wall.

“What the was that?” Hyungsik exclaimed as he got up from the floor.

Your brows furrowed in thought. You had a hunch on the person behind the explosion but kept silent. “Let’s just go.”

Due to the explosion, the whole warehouse was going to be in havoc. You knew the security would be tighter and the risk of getting caught was inevitable. The three of you were going to have to fight your way through. That thought should’ve scared you but it only made you excited. A sinister smirk graced your lips. The two boys with you seemed to have read your mind.

“I hope we make it out alive.” Hyungsik prayed.

At the ding of the elevator, announcing your arrival, the three of you were already in fighting stances. You stood in the middle while Hyungsik and Heechul were on both your sides respectively. Guards were already present when the elevator door slid open, just as you expected. You ran head on and tackled your first victim to the ground.

“Hyeri! We’ll take care of these guys! You go on ahead! His room is the one with the double doors!” Heechul shouted as he tried to take down as many men as possible so that there was enough room for you to escape.

You shouted thanks before running away from the brawl but not before picking up something that you thought would be useful when you will be facing Minhyuk. Not wanting to waste any time, you ran around searching for his room. There were guards everywhere but you took them down without showing any mercy. However, fighting alone against so many enemies did take a toll on you. Your body sustained knife injuries and bruises from combat fighting. You didn’t let the pain hold you back and kept on going.

You were already out of breath by the time you found the room you were looking for. You barged in only to find it empty.

“. . .”

In frenzy, you backtracked and tried to find the exit. You were pissed. Minhyuk was getting away again and you don’t want that to happen. One second he was in the palm of your hand and the next, he was slipping away.

You passed by a guard who was slipping in and out of consciousness and grabbed him by the collar to demand for the way to the exit. With a trembling finger, he pointed towards a narrow corridor. The guard fell to floor with a loud thud as you released your hold on him to sprint towards the exit.

You took out the something that you had picked up earlier - a gun. With the gun loaded, you burst out of the exit door to find Minhyuk getting into a van. His figure vulnerable to attacks and you took this opportunity to aim your gun before firing. A bullet went flying and lodged itself in his chest.

At the sound of the gun, his men that were with him tried to aid him but you shot them one by one with amazing precision before they could do anything. Too preoccupied with your actions, you didn’t notice as a figure snuck up from behind. That was, until a knife pierced you in the abdomen.

Turning around to look at the attacker, you found him to be the same person that stabbed you the other night. *So he wasn’t dead even after samchons took care of him. Pity.*

Acting without thinking, you pulled out your dagger and lodged it straight into his chest, piercing his heart. He let out a scream as he fell to the floor, lifeless.

That was when it hit you. Minhyuk was dead. You’ve killed him. The score was settled.

“I-it’s over. He’s dead.” You whispered, voice hoarse as you fell to your knees.

You’ve finally taken revenge on behalf of your family but you felt tainted all over. It was the same feeling you got every time you took on missions when you were K. But this time, it was a thousand times worse.

You were dirty. You were a murderer. You were a sinner.

Staring at you bloody arms, your vision started to blur. Tears ran down your scarred cheeks and dripped onto your palms.

You should’ve been accustomed to killing people but you weren’t. The shooting lessons that you’ve taken up had been put to good use but somehow you had wished you never did took them up.

Your body felt numb and all you wanted was to get away from all of this and so you did. You struggled to get up. On wobbly legs, you dragged yourself to the van that was prepared for Minhyuk. As you passed by the dead body of the said man, you didn’t even spare a glance. You hopped into the vehicle and sped away. You only had one clear destination in mind – your family’s grave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heyo~ I've updated! This will be like your Christmas present from me. Hohoho~ ^^

Merry Christmas/ Happy Hannukah/ Normal Wednesday! ^^

I would also like to add that I LOVE YOU GUYS! Thank you for subscribing, upvoting, commenting, loving and reading my story. Even though I don't reply to the comments, I do read them and I'm really greatful for having such supportive readers. Really, thank you so much. I would've never thought that my story would get so much love. I'll continue to repay you guys by bringing much better writing and being a better author. ^^

On a side note, you can ask me questions or bug me for updates or if you're bored and just want to talk or you want a spazz buddy about any kpop group, you can search me up on Line or Kakaotalk. My id is diniepyeong. I won't bite. I'd love to know more about my readers. ^^

Till the next time. Byeyeom~ ^^