Letter From the Hospital

Behind The Mask

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

 

The next morning...

 

D.O as usual prepared breakfast for everyone, being the umma of the group. The atmosphere during breakfast was filled with tension. You were still pretty mad at them for making you lose your job. Silence consumed the room and nobody tried to break it. Even the always talking Chanyeol and hyper Sehun kept quiet, probably due to the pissed off look you had on your face. Wanting to avoid them, you ate your food quickly with your now semi-healed hand. Done with your breakfast, you went to check your mails and found a letter from the hospital.

 

To the guardian of Choi Hae Jung,

 

We would like to inform you that patient Choi Hae Jung of Room 131 is scheduled for advanced cancer treatment every month starting from this month due to the worsening of her condition. The total cost of her stay, monthly treatment, medication and daily check-up from now on will add up to 850 000 won.

 

You stopped reading the letter after your eyes landed on the amount of money you had to pay. *How am I going to pay it off? I just lost the highest paying stable job I had and I'm supporting 12 guys that don't have money themselves. And that stupid social worker keeps taking my money from my account. The last time I didn't deposit money into my account, she personally called me up to demand for money saying that she needed it for the orphanage. Such a liar. And i can't even go against her cause she's my freaking guardian. Aish. My side job with 2PM is also damn irregular. Ottokhae?* You were getting stressed out by all your thinking. You decided it was best for you to just think about it later so you left the letter on your study table before leaving for school.

 

Even with the tension between you and EXO, they still insisted that you go to school with them. So you rode with the quietest of the group, Baekhyun. Upon reaching school, you quickly left the boys to go to class. As you were rounding a corner, the school's queenkas came from the other end. *Oh great. This day is just getting better and better.*

 

"Yah! Kim Hyeri, you ! How dare you seduce our EXO oppas? Just Sehun oppa wasn't enough so you had to have all of them?" Hyuna angrily screeched at you as she cornered you. You rolled your eyes at her, feeling disgusted by how she called Sehun oppa even though he was clearly younger than her.

 

"Don't you dare roll your eyes at us." Yuri warned. By this time, a group of students had already gathered around the commotion.

 

"Did you pay them or something to make them hang out with an outcast like you?" Yoona added.

 

"No, she didn't. We chose to hang out with her. So leave her alone and never appear in front of her or us ever again." A voice spoke. Everyone turned to the owner of the voice and found Tao standing a couple feet away with the whole of EXO.

 

Hyuna and her gang changed their attitude from es to innocent girls and went over to EXO. Batting their eyelashes, they clung to the arms of the members. "Oppas, you're kidding right? Why would you want to hang out with her when you can hang out with us, the queenkas of this school? We're much more fun than that loser over there." Hyuna said in a sickly sweet voice, making you want to gag.

 

Being the blunt person that he is, Tao straightforwardly rejected them. "Because you guys reek of fakeness and the way you carry yourselves sicken me to the point where I don't even want to be seen with you. If you're going to behave like es, do it somewhere else." The words that came out of Tao's mouth must have stung Hyuna and her gang by their change of expressions.

 

"O-oppa, you don't mean that right?" Hyuna stuttered as she asked for confirmation.

 

"I do." Tao confirmed.

 

"A-and even if Tao oppa thinks that way, the other oppas don't right?" Yuri tugged on Kai's sleeve. The latter just shrugged her hands of him.

 

"As a matter of fact, we've always thought you guys were annoying and not worth spending time with." Chen, the direct one added in. This sentence really did it. Hyuna and her gang ran off with tears streaming down their faces, hurt by the rejection of all 12 kingkas in front of many students.

 

"Ouch. That must've hurt." You whispered to yourself.

 

The murmuring and chattering of the students about the recent dramatic event soon filled the hallway. Taking this as a chance to slip away without getting noticed, you made your way to class. As you settled down in your seat, you began to think of your financial difficulties.

 

Kai, Sehun, D.O, Chanyeol and Tao soon entered the class and took their seats. Silence ensued among the 6 of you. Though they saved you from the queenkas, the tension still hasn't dissipate completely, which continued to be that way for the whole day.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

EXO's POV

 

The following day...

 

School ended hours ago and EXO had already finished their shift at the restaurant for Hyeri and everyone was lounging around the house doing their own business. Chanyeol finally couldn't take the tension filled atmosphere any more and decided to clear it up. So he went up to Hyeri's room and knocked on her door before entering but Hyeri was nowhere to be seen. He heard the water running and figured that she was in the shower so he decided to come back later when a certain letter on the floor caught his attention.

 

He picked the letter up and began reading the contents. His eyes widened as he finally pieced everything together, from your many jobs to your anger from getting fired a few days ago. He scrambled out of your room with the letter still in his hands and went to inform the others.

 

"Yah! What's up with you?" Xiumin asked, slightly agitated by Chanyeol who bumped into him on the way down and looked panicky for some weird reason.

 

"Hyung! Gather everyone in the living room now!" Chanyeol exclaimed. Xiumin not knowing what was happening, just followed the younger's order and soon all 12 of them were gathered together in the cramped living room.

 

"What is so important that you can't wait to tell us?" Kris asked impatiently. He was about to go to sleep when Tao dragged him downstairs for the meeting.

 

"This." Chanyeol said after making sure that Hyeri was already asleep and handed the letter over to Kris, who read it aloud for the whole group.

 

"To the guardian of Choi Hae Jung, We would like to inform you that patient Choi Hae Jung of Room 131 is scheduled for advanced cancer treatment every month starting from this month due to the worsening of her condition. The total cost of her stay, monthly treatment, medication and daily check-up from now on will add up to 850 000 won..." Kris trailed off as realisation finally struck him. He looked up and found his other members sporting the same look as him.

 

"No wonder she needed that job badly. And with the addition of the 12 of us, it makes it harder for her to pay the hospital bill since she has to buy more food for us and pay the increasing amount of house bills. And she didn't even say anything to us about it." Suho, always the mature and caring person, was disappointed at himself for burdening Hyeri.

 

"Maybe we can find stable jobs to support ourselves too and this time, not get fired on the first day." Baekhyun suggested as he stared straight at Kris, Kai, Xiumin, Chanyeol and Tao.

 

"It's time we start being independent since Yunho hyung gives us jobs irregularly." Chen added. The boys agreed reluctantly, knowing that it was true and they couldn't put more weight on Hyeri's shoulders. They decided to start looking for jobs from the next day onwards.

 

"But who's Choi Hae Jung?" Lay asked out of curiosity. Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders in response.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

 

You were greeted by a bunch of random apologies by the boys when you entered the kitchen the next morning. "Why are you guys being so apologetic all of a sudden?" You asked, eyeing them suspiciously.

 

"Oh you know... For a few days ago and for troubling you and stuff..." Chanyeol trailed off. You doubted his words and thought that something fishy was going on but decided to let it go.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Lunch...

 

You were having lunch with the boys as usual and Chanyeol was telling lame jokes again. As you were munching on an apple, you felt the vibrations of your phone going off in the pocket of your blazer.

 

"Yeobosaeyo?" You answered without looking at the caller ID first, only to be shocked by the news you received. Dropping your apple, you scrambled to your feet and made a rush to the hospital.