Meet Halmoni

Behind The Mask

 

EXO's POV

 

They were peacefully having lunch with Hyeri when she pulled out her phone and answered an incoming call. A few seconds later, she was up on her feet and went running out of school in frenzy. They've never seen her so panicky and frantic before. They soon followed her but they were smart enough to get on their bikes. Luhan sped off first to catch up with Hyeri.

 

"Hop on." Luhan ordered when he caught up to Hyeri, who reluctantly complied.

 

"Where we heading?" Luhan asked as he sped off again with EXO following close behind.

 

"The hospital." She answered, voice wavering towards the end.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

 

Your grip on Luhan tightened as your mind kept on replaying the news you received from a hospital staff.

 

"Kim Hyeri-shi, this is the hospital. Patient Choi Hae Jung is in an unstable condition right now and we request your presence immediately."

 

When you reached the hospital, you instantly hopped off Luhan's bike and ran to Room 131, skillfully avoiding everyone in your way. The boys manage to catch up with you after parking their bikes soon after. When you reached the room, you slammed the door open.

 

"Halmoni!!!" You rushed to the bed to find her completely fine.

 

"Ah, Hyeri-ah, you're finally here. Haven't seen you for a long time." Halmoni smiled at you.

 

"Halmoni! You're ok? You're not hurt? But they told me you were in an unstable condition." You worriedly checked her.

 

"Ah that. I told them to lie to you. Mianhae. I really wanted to see you but you're always so busy so I thought a little lie wouldn't hurt." She held your hand as you sat down. You heaved a sigh of relief.

 

"Mianhae, halmoni. I'll try to visit more often." You promised.

 

"And who are those guys with you?" She asked.

 

"Huh? What guys?" You asked back as you looked around the room before realising that EXO was there. "Ah, they're my housemates? Um... Halmoni meet EXO. EXO meet my Halmoni." You continued. EXO then introduced themselves one by one to Halmoni.

 

"Nice to meet such good-looking boys. So which one of you is Hyeri's boyfriend?" Halmoni playfully asked after they finished introducing themselves.

 

"Halmoni~ None of them is my boyfriend." You whined.

 

"Aigoo. Why aren't you dating any of them? All of them make perfect boyfriends." Halmoni analysed the boys closely.

 

The doors of the room opened and a nurse entered, asking for you. You followed her out. She led you to the office of the doctor who was taking care of your Halmoni. The both of you discussed about Halmoni's condition as well as her hospital fees.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

EXO's POV

 

Meanwhile...

 

EXO was still in Halmoni's room. They realised she was Choi Hae Jung when they saw the name outside her door. The boys talked comfortably with Halmoni when Hyeri was gone, keeping the older company.

 

"Please take good care of my Hyeri. She's like a granddaughter to me even though we're not blood related. She's working so hard to pay my hospital fees while still schooling. She really should just concentrate on her studies. But she looks healthier now. Must be because of you boys. Thank you." Halmoni gratefully thanked the boys.

 

"Neh halmoni. We'll watch over Hyeri for you." Suho promised. Halmoni smiled.

 

"I have a question Halmoni. How does she know you and why is she paying your hospital fees? Oh wait. That's two questions." Sehun smiled sheepishly.

 

"Ah, that. I've known Hyeri ever since she came into the orphanage. She was such a sweet girl back then. She would always help me with the chores. But when she grew older, she went through some hardships and from then on she became a bit distant so she needs time to trust someone. I hope you can understand her for her cold front. Just give her time to warm up to you. When she found out I had cancer, she promised to take care of me since I had no family left. All of them died in a car crash. But I'm happy as long as Hyeri is here with me." Halmoni explained with sad eyes. The boys fell silent after her story, all of them seeing Hyeri in a new light.

 

Suddenly, the door to the room opened and Hyeri entered, smiling as she took a seat beside Halmoni. "Halmoni, have you been eating all your meals and medication? You have to get well soon." She asked.

 

"Aigoo. Stop worrying about me. You should worry about yourself for once. Why are you so thin? Have you not been eating? Are you working too hard? And what's with those eyebags? No boy will like you if you don't take care of yourself." Halmoni nagged at Hyeri.

 

"Halmoni~ I'm doing completely fine. You're just seeing things." The younger whined and pouted, which caught EXO by surprise.

 

*Did the fiesty and cold Kim Hyeri just pouted and whined?* EXO thought in unison.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

 

EXO and I were talking to Halmoni about random things and were catching up with each other when a certain topic popped up.

 

"Hyeri-ah, how are you going to pay for my increasing hospital bills?" Halmoni asked you.

 

"A-ah that. Don't worry about it. I'll work something out." You grinned at her while rubbing the back of your neck. *I can't tell her I'm having some financial problems. She'll probably tell me that she doesn't need the treatment.* You thought.

 

"Don't worry, Halmoni. We're also helping to pay." Baekhyun chimed in. Without thinking, you nodded and agreed with him.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

An hour later, the boys left, saying they had things to do. You remained at the hospital with Halmoni until visiting time was over, spending as much time as possible to make up for not visiting for a long time.

 

"Halmoni, I'm going to be really busy again and won't have time to visit you for a while. Please take care of yourself and listen to the nurse and doctor. I'll call you once in a while, neh? Saranghae. I'll miss you." You hugged her and kissed her cheek.

 

"You take care of yourself too. Be good and don't get into trouble. Don't work yourself too hard. Nado saranghae. I'll miss you too." Halmoni hugged you back.

 

You left her room with a heavy heart.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

EXO's POV

 

On the other hand, EXO was busy looking for jobs the whole day. It wasn't difficult since nobody could resist not hiring handsome boys to work for them. Sehun and Luhan ended up working at Star Coffee. Kris and Tao got a job at the restaurant you were working at. Suho, Lay, Kai and D.O secured jobs at a music school, teaching kids how to sing and dance. Chanyeol and baekhyun ended up working at a grocery store and Xiumin and Chen got jobs at a Chinese restaurant. They began their first day of work that same day.

 

After they finished working for the day, they found themselves to be really exhausted. Arriving home, most of them took a rushed shower before falling into a deep slumber.

 

"Why do you guys look so tired?" Hyeri asked Chen, who was still awake.

 

"We found jobs and started working today. Thought it would be a good idea to start pitching in money to lessen your burden." Chen replied straightforwardly. Hyeri hummed in response before heading to her room.