Ominous Feeling

Behind The Mask

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

A peaceful week passed by without any major incidents and you were hoping that the following week would be the same as well. However, not all wishes can be fulfilled.

As you ate your lunch alone under the tree in the school garden. Three familiar figures emerged from the distance and made their way over to you. You recognised them by just a mere glance. Their faces caked with make-up and their tight-fitting uniforms made them stand out from the other students.

*Oh great. What do they want after so long?* You inwardly groaned.

"Heh. So EXO oppas finally left you, huh? Did they get bored of playing with you? Who in the right mind would actually want to hang out with an ugly loser?" Hyuna insulted you with a smug look on her face.

"You're just a piece of trash. No wonder they left. Who's gonna protect you now? Poor Hyeri is left all alone again." Yoona added in, in a mocking tone.

"You think you're better than us, huh? Well, think again." Yuri sneered.

Hyuna stepped forward and raised her left hand. You knew what was coming and this time, you didn't hesitate to block her weak and pathetic attack. Catching her wrist, you gripped onto it tightly which made Hyuna wince. Letting her wrist go, you roughly shoved her back. She fell straight on her . She shrieked as she tried to get up with the help of her two minions.

"!" Hyuna hissed as she and her minions lunged for you at the same time.

Not showing any mercy, you twisted Hyuna's arm behind her back and pushed her forward. She ended up grazing her knees as she fell on all fours. You then threw a punch straight at Yoona's gut before roughly shoving her into Yuri. As they stumbled onto the grass, Yoona accidentally elbowed Yuri across the face. The three of them remained motionless in their fallen position. You could see the fear that was consuming them and you smirked slightly.

*Well that didn't take much effort. Am I too strong or are they just weak?* You thought.

"Listen here, brats. I will no longer tolerate any of you and your pathetic schemes. You're just a bunch of s that I don't want to waste my precious time on. If you ever bother me again, I will not hesitate to break your limbs. Understand?" You threatened them with a murderous glint in your eyes. They feebly nodded.

"Now, scram." You commanded. They scrambled onto their feet and scurried off into the school. You smiled in satisfaction as you sat back down and leaned your back against the tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After lunch, you had a very ominous feeling as your stomach churned with anxiety. Fidgeting in your seat, you couldn't help but to occassionally check your phone under your table. The teacher's voice faded out as you thought of all the possible situations that might have occurred.

*Something bad is gonna happen. I just know it.* You thought.

A sudden vibration caused you to jolt in your seat, bringing you back to reality. You stared at the caller ID and fear consumed your whole being.

'Hospital'

You abruptly stood up from your seat and ran out of the school with the teacher screaming after you. Not giving a damn, you continued running while answering the phone.

"Yobeosaeyo. This is the hospital. We're calling to inform you that Choi Hae Jung will be undergoing emergency surgery for her worsening heart condition in a few minutes time." The words that were spoken made your heart drop.

*Aniya. This isn't happening.* Tears streamed down your face as you continued running towards the hospital twice as fast.

Upon reaching the building, you hurriedly asked the receptionist for the surgery room that Halmoni was in before sprinting off to find it. The sign above the surgery shone bright red, showing that the surgery was still ongoing. A nurse came up to you and explained the situation.

"Choi Hae Jung was suffering from major chest pain earlier and it kept getting worse so we had to resort to surgery. She only has a 50-50 percent chance of surviving. Even if she does, there's a possibility of her not waking up from a coma. Please be prepared for the outcome." She gently broke the news to you before leaving you alone to digest her words.

You slumped into the chair and curled into a ball. Tear continued to stream down your cheeks as you covered your face with your hands.

*Please, god. I beg you. Don't take Halmoni away from me, please. She's the only one I have left.* You prayed with your eyes tightly shut.

As the minutes ticked by, you didn't feel any better as you waited anxiously outside the surgery room with your head still covered with your hands. You felt a sudden presence looming over you. Looking up, your eyes widened at the sight of Kai standing before you. He was panting heavily and looked out of breath. Before you could open your mouth, he engulfed you in a comforting hug that made you burst into tears again. Not uttering a single word, he gently caressed your head, letting you cry your heart out into his shoulder.

"Sshhh... It's gonna be all right." He reassured you after a moment of silence once you had stopped crying.

Once he said that, the shining red sign above the surgery room switched off and the surgeon exited the room. You jumped on your feet and looked at him expectantly.

"The surgery was a success." He told you the good news. You sighed in relief but it was cut short.

"However, I don't know if she's going to wake up any time soon. I'm sorry. It's the best I could do." He apologised before walking away.

Kai came up to you and reassuringly squeezed your shoulders before guiding you to Halmoni's room. Your heart broke at the sight in front of you once you entered Halmoni's room. She was attached to all sorts of machine and it pained you to see all the needles inserted in her. You slowly walked towards her and took a seat next to her bed before holding her hand in yours.

"I'll be waiting outside." Kai informed you before leaving the room to give you some privacy.

Silent tears rolled down your cheeks and your voice quivered as you spoke. "H-halmoni, please get up. I still need you. I promise to listen to you. Really I will. So please, don't leave me. Everyone is slowly disappearing from my life. I don't want you to disappear too. You mean so much to me. Please, please, please, wake up." You begged, lowering your head as you let your tears flow freely when you didn't get a respond.

"Please Halmoni, don't leave me alone." You whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours passed by and Halmoni was still in deep slumber. You sat beside her dejectedly, praying for her to wake up. It was almost the end of visiting time and you were reluctant to part with her even though the doctor told you that you would be called up if anything were to happen to Halmoni.

"You're tired, Hyeri. And you haven't eaten anything since the morning. I think you should go home and get some rest." He gently squeezed your shoulders.

"I'm not going home." You determinedly replied. 

"You can always come back tomorrow after school." He tried persuading you.

"I'm not going to school." You objected.

"You have to. Halmoni wouldn't want to see you like this." Kai pointed out. His last sentence managed to convince you and you glanced one last time at Halmoni before getting up and slowly leaving her room.

You silently walked home with Kai beside you.

You could feel him looking at you. You turned to look at him and he gently smiled at you. It was a genuine and comforting smile unlike all his smirks and mischievous grins.

"Don't worry about it. I'm always here for you." He gently patted your head. Somehow his words and actions managed to make you feel better as a small smile crept onto your face.

"By the way, aren't you supposed to be with the others? And how did you know where I was?" You softly blurted out the questions that were lingering in your mind ever since he first arrived.

"Well..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai's POV

#FLASHBACK#

He was zoning out as usual during lessons when he heard a loud thud. Turning his head, he saw Hyeri rushing out of the school compound with the teacher calling after her.

*What the hell was that all about? Where is she going?* He thought. Worry was evident in his eyes.

He looked over at Sehun and saw him with the same worried expression. Their eyes met and they seemed to know what the other was thinking. Tearing off a piece of scrap paper, Kai wrote a message and passed it to Sehun.

'I'll take care of it. Don't worry. -Kai'

He heard an almost inaudible sigh of relief and knew that Sehun had gotten his message. He then impatiently waited for school to end.

Once EXO and the Jang siblings had arrived home, they were informed of a party they had to attend that evening. Taking this as an opportunity, Kai started coughing. Sehun seemed to know what he wa planning to do and helped him out.

"Are you ok, hyung?" Sehun asked him while patting his back.

"I think *cough* I have a slight *cough* fever." Kai replied.

"Eh. I think you shouldn't come with us and just rest at home. I'm pretty sure Yerin and I will be fine. We still have the other members." Yenny advised, looking at Kai worriedly. She then placed her hand on his forehead to check on his temperature.

"You're starting to burn up. You should go get some rest now." She pushed him off to his room. The other EXO members stared worriedly after him.

After they left the house, Kai stealthily sneaked out. He opened the GPS app he had on his phone and went off to the direction of where Hyeri's phone was.

*I knew it was a good idea to have installed this in her phone.* Kai thought as he took off running.

Upon realising where he was headed for, he picked up speed knowing that only bad news awaited him. And his guess was dead-on right.

"Excuse me. Have you seen a girl shorter than me with black shoulder length hair wearing the same school uniform?" He asked the receptionist who willingly gave him the directions. He ran off as soon as the receptionist had finished.

Even from the other end of the corridor he could make out a lone figure curled up in a ball, whom he presumed to be Hyeri and he turned out to be right. He stopped right in front of her and clearly saw the messed up state she was in when she looked up to meet his gaze. Her cheeks were stained with tears and she was slightly trembling. Without thinking, he pulled her in for a hug.

#END FLASHBACK#

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

"So you stalked me?" You questioned with a hard expression.

“Ummm… Kindda?” He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck as he avoided eye contact with you.

After a few seconds, your frown turned into a small smile as you whispered, “I’m glad you did.”

Once you reached your house, you turned to look at Kai straight in the eyes. He looked startled at the intense look you had in your eyes. With a thankful smile, you hugged him tightly around his waist.

“Thank you.” You whispered before letting him go and heading inside your house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EXO’s POV

Meanwhile…

EXO and the Jang sisters were seated at a round table near a large window at the party. It was held to commemorate the anniversary of one of the most successful companies in South Korea and all the important people were invited. The Jang sisters were talking with each other while the boys were fidgeting in their seats, feeling uncomfortable being at formal parties. Most of the invited guests were enjoying themselves with either talking amongst themselves or dancing in the clear space in the centre of the room.

“Hey, any of you guys wanna dance with me?” Yenny asked after some time had passed. Being the gentleman of the group, Baekhyun volunteered and brought her to the dance floor.

Yerin, on the other hand, was left at the table with the rest of the boys. There was an awkward silence that hung in the air. Just as Suho was about to start a conversation, the sound of glass breaking was heard. Chen, having the fastest reflex, pushed Yerin to the ground as a bullet whizzed past them.

Meanwhile, on the dance floor, Baekhyun also pushed Yenny to the floor and covered her when he heard the sound of breaking glass. He looked up only to find the large window near their table broken into tiny pieces. He moved his body away from Yenny so that she was able to get up, only to wince in pain.

“Omo! Your arm’s bleeding!” Yenny exclaimed, her voice laced with worry.

“Don’t worry about it.” Baekhyun flashed her  a reassuring smile.

Within seconds, Baekhyun found Lay beside him. Lay checked Yenny for injuries before moving on to treat Baekhyun’s wound. After his injury was treated, Kris and Suho thought that it was best for them to leave the party since everyone else seemed to be doing so after that frightening event. On the car ride home, none of them spoke as each of them was occupied by their own thoughts. Upon reaching the Jang residence, EXO was called to meet Mr Jang and they hurriedly made their way to his office.

“I heard there was a shooting that happened at the party. Are my daughters safe?” Mr Jang cut straight to the point once EXO entered his office.

“Yes, they are.” Suho replied politely. Mr Jang nodded his head in contentment.

“However, the bullets seemed to have been directed at both your daughters. There’s a possibility that there’s an enemy out there that is endangering your family, Mr Jang.” Kris informed. At this piece of news, Mr Jang sighed.

“It happens a lot in this household. I’ll try my best to find out who they are before it’s too late. This is where you boys come in. I expect you boys to take good care of my daughters and make sure that they’re safe. Keep your guard up 24/7. I trust you in keeping them away from danger of any sort.” Mr Jang sat down as he gave them instructions.

“Neh.” EXO chorused.

“Well then, you’re dismissed. I’ll call you boys again if I need you.”

With that, the boys left his office and headed straight for their room where they found Kai on his bed staring up at the ceiling.

“Do you still have a fever?” Suho worriedly asked.

“I’m fine, hyung. I took some medicine so I’m good.” Kai replied, sitting up. He then noticed the tense atmosphere in the room and started questioning them. The eleven boys started telling him about the shooting that occurred at the party. Kai silently listened and nodded his head once in a while.

*I think it’s best if I don’t tell them about Halmoni yet. They have enough to worry about for now.* Kai thought to himself.

Just as he was about to lie back down again on his bed, he met eyes with Sehun. He understood what the latter was trying to get across and slightly nodded his head, assuring him that everything was fine. The frown that was etched on Sehun’s forehead slowly disappeared as he began to relax at the piece of good news.

*That’s one problem taken care of.* Sehun thought, feeling slightly relieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unknown Person’s POV

“It has begun. This is gonna be so much fun. Don’t you think so?” The mysterious person asked his right hand man with a devious smirk.

“Neh, boss. Do you want me to proceed?” The right hand man waited for his boss’ order.

“Mmmm… Go ahead.” 

_________________________________________________

 

Ayo guys! I finally got around to updating after so long. I'm desperately trying to find time to write but my school work just keeps on piling and I'm already lacking sleep as it is. I've been only getting around 3-4 hours of sleep each day so I hope you understand. I'm having 3 days holiday next week so I'm planning to write as much as I can then. No promises though. Sorry.

Anyway, hope you like this chapter. I made it longer than usual. And a little something between Kai and Hyeri. You like? Hehehe! :3 

Please subscribe, comment and upvote~ (I'll try my best to reply. If I don't, please don't hate me.)

Oh and I'm really looking forward to B.A.P's new song. (Might make a fic about them once I finish this one.) :D