Haunting Past

Behind The Mask

You ran aimlessly with no certain destination in mind, letting your legs carry you off to wherever they wanted to end up at. The wind whipped your hair back as you passed by buildings and crowds of people. Your lungs burned and you were starting to feel breathless. Pushing branches and plants aside, you came upon a huge flower field where your knees finally buckled and you collapsed on the soft ground. Sprawled in the middle, your chest heaved heavily, trying to take in as much air as possible while you stared at the darkening sky. Your vision blurred as seconds ticked by, a familiar salty substance dampening your cheeks. Your heart constricted in pain, remembering the earlier event. You felt like , betrayed by your so called family. Closing your eyes, you let the tears fall freely. Lightning flashed across the sky and thunder could be heard in the distance and you watched as the rain pelted down in a heavy downpour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The downpour was finally reduced to a slight drizzle after what seemed liked eternity. Coldness enveloped you, numbing your whole body. You opened your eyes and sat up slowly, having fallen asleep in such a situation. You were drenched from head to toe and your uniform was torn at certain places. Now, you even looked like and you knew it. Sighing heavily, you stood up and dragged yourself back home, ignoring the blatant stares that you received from passers-by.

Upon reaching your house, you noticed the front door unlocked and slightly ajar. You pushed the door open and frowned at the sight before you. The inside was thrashed with furniture broken and strewn everywhere. Walking pass the huge mess, you trudged up to your room to find that it was also in the same state.

“Well, .” You muttered under your breath.

However, there were writings on your bedroom walls. They were hard to miss since they were written hugely in red. It was an address of some sort and there was a photograph glued next to it. You reached for the photograph. 13 faces were smiling back at you. It was the picture that you took at the beach. You pieced everything together and knew what it meant. The Dragons had Exo. You read the address once again before rushing out of the house.

*Where the is that place?*

It then hit you that you’ve been there before. It was the warehouse that you had to sneak into to retrieve a suitcase that belonged to 2PM. Remembering where it was, you quickened your pace. As you were running, you received a call from Yunho.

“Hyeri-ah, they’ve got Exo.”

“I know. I’m already on my way there.”

“Don’t do anything rash. We’re coming as well.”

“No promises, Yunho samchon.”

“ Hyeri, don’t you dare en-” With that, you ended the call, not wanting to hear the rest of what he had to say.

*They better not have ing touched Exo or I’m going to end them. ing Dragons.*

As you neared the warehouse, your anger boiled. Not thinking rationally and forgetting about Yunho’s warning, you kicked the door of the warehouse open.

You scanned your surroundings and the first sight your eyes landed on was Exo tied up in a corner trying to free themselves. They struggled harder when they saw you enter, eyes wide as they tried to communicate with you. Their words and shouts were muffled by the cloth that covered their mouths.

*There are only 8 of them. What happened to the other 4?* You noticed that not all of them were there.

A loud bang echoed throughout the warehouse. The door that you had come through was shut close. Heavy footsteps ricocheted off the walls and a burly figure emerged from another room across the warehouse. A familiar burly figure.

“Jang Minhyuk.” You hissed.

“Kim Hyeri, welcome. It’s been a long time hasn’t it? You don’t seem to be faring so well.” He greeted you with a big sinister grin. You forgot that you were still dripping wet in your uniform.

“You look as disgusting as always, matches your behaviour.” You retorted. His face darkened immensely at your statement.

With a strained smirk, he snapped his fingers and his men dragged the 8 Exo boys into view. At the sight of their bloodied and bruised figures, your hands clenched into fists instinctively.

“Let them go, bastard. This is between you and I.” You hissed through gritted teeth.

‘Where’s the fun in that?”

“You have a ed up mind.”

“Why thank you. I have your dead father to thank for that.” He faked a lopsided smile.

“I think you would love what I did to the other 4.” He taunted.

Your heart started beating faster, dread rushing through your whole body. Your hands turned clammy as nervousness consumed you. Whatever was going to happen next was not going to be good. He turned to the side where a large curtain was draped from the ceiling all the way to the floor. Giving out a hand signal, one of his men pulled in a lever and one quarter of the curtain fell to the floor revealing Suho. He was undoubtedly in the same condition as s. However, there was an addition of a gun pressed against the back of his head.

“Familiar scene isn’t it?”

#FLASHBACK#

9 years ago…

An 8 year old Hyeri was quietly playing with her toys in her playroom by herself  since her little brother was taking a nap. Her mother was in the kitchen cooking dinner while her father was probably in his office as usual.

CRASH!

The sound of glass breaking startled her. Soon, voices of men yelling loudly were heard. She looked out her windows into the garden and saw her father’s men fighting with another group of unknown men. It was an ambush from another gang. Petrified, she headed straight for the kitchen to find her mother.

Upon reaching the last of the step of the winding staircase, someone pulled her back by her arms harshly. She let out a soft squeak as she was pressed flushed against a familiar figure – her mother. Her mother covered Hyeri’s mouth with her hand and signalled her to be quiet before turning to watch with wide eyes at the scene before them. Looking around, Hyeri noticed that they were hidden in a small room. Her brother was huddled in the corner and stared at her with wide confused eyes. She was feeling confused herself. What was happening?

*Who were these people? Why were they here? Where’s appa?* All kinds of questions ran through her mind. Knowing that she won’t get any answers, she decided that it was best that she comforted her brother. She went over to him and brought him into a hug, whispering words of comfort. In the midst of comforting her brother, her mother had disappeared. Her mother had gone over to her father’s side.

“You and your whole family are going to die for what you did to me. For destroying my company and business after all the hard work I’ve put in.” An unfamiliar man shouted at her father who was busy protecting her mother from getting hurt.

Hyeri placed her hands over her brother’s eyes, not wanting him to see the scene before him. Tears were streaming down her face as she watched her father slowly weakening and finally falling on his knees. He was greatly outnumbered and most of his men were already down. However, he did manage to bring her mother over to a safe corner beforehand. He had no choice but to knock her out so that she won’t do anything rash to endanger her life.

Time seemed to move slowly as her father fought for his life. His eyes searched frantically around until he locked eyes with his daughter. He looked pained and he was bleeding from various injuries. He was fighting a losing battle and he knew it. He was already too weak. His lips moved but no audible sound came out. Hyeri barely managed to make out what he was saying before a huge bang echoed throughout the room. Closing his eyes, her father fell limply to the floor, lifeless. The gun that was pointed at his head earlier by the unfamiliar man was brought down.

Hyeri could only watch on helplessly with her father’s last words ringing in her ears.

‘I’m sorry. Appa loves you.’

The following events after had happened in a blur. The other DBSK samchons finally arrived but they were already too late. Her father is gone.

“Appa…”

#END FLASHBACK#

A second curtain fell, revealing D.O standing on a chair, a noose around his neck. He watched you with terrified eyes. You could only stare back at him, mirroring his look.

#FLASHBACK#

8 years ago…

Hyeri was 9 years old then. A year had passed since her father died. Her mother had remarried and made them move in with her new husband. Her mother wanted to forget all about her past – all about her husband. She refused to be related to DBSK samchons in anyway and had cut off all connections with them.

Her mother indulged herself in the night life. Slowly but surely, she was changing from the once loving and caring woman to a monster, neglecting her children and sometimes even abusing them. Even though there was a new man in her life, he meant nothing to her. She fell into depression and every night, Hyeri and her brother would huddle up in the corner, listening to their mother weep in sorrow.

Hyeri knew that her mother was losing her sanity but she was still praying that she would regain to her senses, that they would lead a better life soon, that there was still a tiny bit of hope. However, it all came crashing down on the day of her father’s death anniversary.

Hyeri and her brother were already dressed in black waiting at the front door for their mother to take them to their father’s grave but she never came out. Hyeri went searching for her in the house. Knocking on her mother’s room, she didn’t get a reply. Deeming that her mother wouldn’t mind, she twisted the doorknob open.

She was expecting her mother to be getting ready to go out, not hanging from the ceiling fan. A thick rope around her neck, her lifeless eyes staring into nothingness. Hyeri ran up to her mother and tugged harshly on her black dress.

“Umma… Umma…” Every time she called her mother, she gave a tug but never did she get a response.

“Umma, don’t go.” By then, tears were already staining her cheeks.

#END FLASHBACK#

The third curtain dropped heavily to the floor. Sehun was battered up and was having difficulty breathing, taking in ragged breaths. His hair was pulled harshly to the back and you locked eyes with him. He forced out a small smile to assure you that he was fine but you knew better. Something glimmered in the dim light and you spotted the swiss knife placed only a few centimetres away from his abdomen.

#FLASHBACK#

7 years ago…

It was one of those nights that felt like everything would go wrong. Hyeri and her brother were preparing to sleep but with the sound of heavy footsteps approaching their room, they stayed wide awake and alert. The incoherent yelling of their drunkard of a stepfather was getting louder. He slammed the door to their room open, holding a half empty bottle of beer. They were prepared for another night of endless beatings and cursing.

They thought that they were going to end up with the usual black and blue bruises, minor cuts and cigarette burns. However, this time around, their stepfather had with him a swiss knife and was swinging it around carelessly. Hyeri whimpered when it almost sliced her skin. She was about to breathe a sigh of relief when her stepfather stopped halfway but she thought to soon as he locked eyes with her. With a malicious grin on his face, he pointed the knife straight at her. She closed her eyes, waiting for the pain but it never came. She slowly opened her eyes and was met with her brother’s warm brown eyes staring back at her. His arms were outstretched in a protective manner.

“J-junsu-ah…”

She caught him in her arms as he went limp. She stared at the knife lodged into his abdomen. He had defended her and taken the hit for himself. Looking at the amount of blood that was pooling around them, she panicked and tried to stop the bleeding, crying as she failed to do so.

“Don’t cry, please noona. I’m going to be fine. Trust your strong namdongsaeng.” He smiled as he weakly brushed away her tears.

“I’m just going to sleep for a while. It’ll get better soon. I love you, noona. Goodnight.” He leaned up and pressed a kiss on her cheek.

“I love you too, Junsu-ah. Goodnight.” This time, it was her turn to kiss her brother on his cheek.

She had believed every word he said but it didn’t get better. He never woke up from his sleep.

Their stepfather by then was long gone.

#END FLASHBACK#

By that time, you were already on your knees. Tears streaming down your cheeks uncontrollably as your body trembled. Your heart was constricted with pain. For the first time in years, you looked so small and vulnerable.

“This is not the end of it yet, Hyeri-ah. We still have one more to go.” Minhyuk chuckled darkly.

As soon as he said that, the last curtain fell revealing the one person who has been there for you for quite a while now, Kai. He was slumped on the floor, breathing heavily. Bruises and cuts covered him.

*This was all my fault.*

“If only you didn’t cause so much trouble then these friends of yours wouldn’t be here. If only you let yourself be killed easily. But where’s the fun in that, huh?” Minhyuk taunted.

“Finish her off like the rest of her family.” He further instructed, laughing boisterously after.

You were too out of it that you barely noticed ZE:A was approaching you. The next thing you knew was that you had been roughly pulled up on your feet before being dragged away to another room. You were tossed unceremoniously to the centre with hands tied behind your back as the door to the room slammed shut.

“Let’s have some fun. Revenge is going to be so sweet, baby.”

The first one to speak was Dongjun. He grabbed a fistful of your hair and tugged it rather harshly to the back.

“Not so tough now, huh.” He whispered against your ear.

You felt his breath against your neck. Before you know it, you were caught in a heated kiss as Dongjun forcefully shoved his tongue into your mouth. You tried squirming away but his hold on you was strong.

From the corners of your eyes, you saw Siwan kneeling in front of you, smirking. He placed his hands on your thighs and softly caressed them before moving them up further, lifting up your skirt in the process. You could feel another pair of hands ing your blouse and you struggled even more.

*, Hyeri. Stop being so ing weak. You’re not going to let them you. Get back to your senses. Exo needs you. Stop being so shaken up by the past. Don’t this up too.*

With a new resolve and determination, you stealthily untied yourself as fast as you can. You weren’t going to let them feel you up any further. As soon as you were free, you shoved Dongjun harshly toward Kevin who was the one who was ing your blouse. You then kicked Siwan straight in his abdomen, making him fly towards Kwanghee. You quickly straightened yourself up, buttoning back your blouse and pulling down your skirt before standing up to face the rest of ZE:A.

was going to go down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! It's an update! Woah~ Sorry for the long wait. Probably not going to update again any time soon. Sorry. >,<

Any Singaporean readers here? Are you guys suffering from the haze too? It's super hot. *fanning myself*

For those of you who subscribed to my other stories, expect updates soon. Probably before this week ends. ^^

Please subscribe, comment, upvote and enjoy~ ^^ Love all you readers. <3 *throws hearts*

Anyone wants to make a guess who the OC will end up with? Keke. Quite easy to guess actually. :P