13 August

Behind The Mask

 

Kim Hyeri’s / Your POV

 

A month had passed since EXO started living with you. Ever since EXO started working, they would pay you rent and even pitch in money when paying for groceries and daily necessities. This lessened the burden on you. At first, you were annoyed by the fact that Sehun, Luhan, Kris and Tao were working at the same places as you but you got over it and enjoyed their company. Sehun was like a younger brother to you while the other boys were like the older brothers you never had. You had slightly opened up to them and would occasionally crack a smile.

 

However, that day, the 13 of August, Your face was shrouded with sadness. Every year that day only reminded you of painful memories that would never be forgotten. The greyish sky and soft drizzle reflected your mood. You slowly and lazily got out of bed, pushing the comforter aside and not bothering to make up your bed. You didn't bother to neaten yourself up and just went downstairs with messy hair and disheveled clothes. You sat down at the dining table and waited for breakfast to be ready.

 

"Someone looks awful today." Kris commented when he saw your appearance. You ignored his snide remark and started zoning out. The boys stared at you worriedly when you didn't snap back at Kris like usual but let it slide, thinking that it was due to you just waking up.

 

When breakfast, comprising of pancakes, bacon, eggs and toasts, was served, you only took a slice of toast and nibbled at the side while still staring blankly into space. You didn't snap at the boys like usual for gobbling all the food down or complain about how they were bottomless pits and instead remained quiet. Without finishing even half of your toast, you excused yourself from the table.

 

"But you didn't even... finish... your... toast..." Chanyeol trailed off as you continued walking away with a preoccupied mind.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

EXO's POV

 

The boys abruptly stopped eating when Hyeri excused herself from breakfast. Never have they seen her skip a meal ever since they lived with her. It was something new and they knew something was off.

 

"Riri looks... Sad? Do you think something happened to her?" Chanyeol asked worriedly.

 

"I think so but I don't know why. She's been zoning out from just now. She didn't even reply to Kris' teasing and now she even skipped a meal." Luhan sighed heavily.

 

"I wish we knew what's wrong with noona and try to cheer her up." Sehun pouted.

 

"All of us would like to do that but we have something important to attend to today, remember?" Suho reminded s. They remained silent when they remembered what they had to do.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

30 minutes later...

 

EXO was all decked in black from head to toe. They had to leave very soon to meet Yunho at Exotics but most of them were reluctant to leave Hyeri in her current state. But having no choice, they left the house feeling guilty. Especially D.O since he had went up to inform Hyeri that they were going out and saw her blankly staring out the window with a pained expression on her face. Pushing the memory aside, D.O tried to concentrate on riding his bike safely.

 

When they arrived at the said club, Yunho and a few of his men were already waiting, also decked out in all black outfits. Yunho greeted them with a small sad smile.

 

"Let's go." Yunho led the way out and took his car while his men took a van and EXO took their bikes.

 

They soon arrived at their destination - a cemetery. They walked through the familiar path towards a family's grave, a father, mother and son. This would be the third year that EXO has followed to visit their graves on their death anniversary. Yunho told them that the father was a close friend of his and also the original owner of Exotics as well as the leader of TVXQ so they should pay him respect. However, there was another reason behind visiting the graves and it was to find a missing person. For the past few years, Yunho had always visited on the same day without fail, hoping that the person he was looking for would show up but to no avail.

 

Yunho, his men and EXO bowed in front of the graves before praying for them. They also placed a bunch of poppies on each grave. Yunho hung his head in sadness.

 

"Hyung, do you think the person you're looking for will show up today?" Suho asked Yunho.

 

"I hope so." The older replied, not having his hopes up too high so that he won't be disappointed like all the other times.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

 

You heaved a long sigh as you leaned against the window and stared at the raindrops on it. You thought back about past memories and shivered at the gruesome images as a tear slid down your cheek. Taking a deep breath, you pushed yourself of the window and calmed yourself down.

 

*I've gotta face reality sooner or later even though it hurts. Let's just get over it.* You thought as you rummaged inside your closet, pulling out a simple long-sleeved black dress that falls right above your knees and a pair of black leggings. You tied your hair in a neat ponytail before leaving the house.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

EXO's POV

 

As the time passes by, there was no sign of anyone being in the cemetery except for the group of them. However, after being there for at least an hour, a lone figure could be seen walking towards them through the mist. Yunho's eyes were filled with anticipation.

 

"Hyung, is that the person?" Sehun asked.

 

"I don't know yet. I can't see the face." Yunho shook his head and continued to watch the person's movement closely.

 

As the person got closer, they could tell that it was a girl clad in black. Soon after, the face of the girl could be seen. Yunho's eyes lit up in recognition. The person he was looking for has finally appeared after 8 long years of going missing.

 

"H-Hyeri n-noona?" Sehun stammered when he got a good look of the girl's face.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

 

Walking through the worn out path, you neared your destination. You stared straight ahead as you walked through the forming mist.

 

"H-Hyeri n-noona?" A familiar voice called out. You made out many figures standing in the distance.

 

*EXO?*

 

You confirmed your suspicion when you arrived at your family's grave and saw the boys standing near it. You scanned them one by one until your eyes landed on a figure standing at the far end. Your eyes widened slightly when you caught sight of the person's face. He warmly smiled at you before placing a hand on your back and guiding you towards the 3 graves.

 

"Y-Yunho s-samchon?"

 

"Who else? We can talk later. Pay your respect first." He gently chided.

 

You slightly bowed to him before kneeling in front of the graves. You placed 9 red carnations on Kim Jaejoong's or your father's grave, symbolising pride, love and admiration, 8 pink carnations on Kim Jaehwa's or your mother's grave, symbolising the love of a mother and finally 8 white carnations on Kim Junsu's or your younger brother's grave, symbolising innocence. The number of flowers you placed also symbolises the number of years they had been gone. You then clasped your hands together and prayed. What started out as silent tears turned into uncontrollable sobbing. You felt a pair of comforting arms wrap around you and you knew it was Yunho. You cried into his chest as you clung onto his shirt.

 

"I-it's a-a-all my f-fault." You stuttered out between sobs.

 

"Sshhh... It's not your fault. It never was. Stop blaming yourself for their deaths." Yunho comforted you with his kind words and held you even closer, your hair all the while. You wanted to believe his words but you still felt the immense guilt inside your heart.