Confrontation

Behind The Mask

 

You were discharged from the hospital on Saturday and opted to rest at home during the weekend. You were peacefully watching tv on the Sunday afternoon when your phone beeped, signalling a new text message. You reached for your phone and unlocked it.

From: Kai

To: Hyeri

Open the door. I’m right outside.

Your eyes widened after reading the message. You scrambled to your feet and winced at the sharp pain in your abdomen from your abrupt movements. You waited a few seconds for the pain to subside before going over to open the door. True enough, Kai was standing at your doorstep, his face etched with worry. Relief seemed to wash over him when he saw you opening the door. What occurred next happened too fast for you to comprehend. All you knew was that you were in Kai’s arms.

“K-Kai…” You stammered, confused by his action.

“I’m so glad you’re safe.” He breathed out, hugging you even tighter and closer to him. He unknowingly put too much pressure on your wound, making you whimper in pain He immediately pulled away from you.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, his face looking completely serious.

“Nothing.” You plastered a smile.

“You’re lying.” He deadpanned.

“What brought you here?” You changed the topic, hoping to distract him as you walked into the living room. Kai closed the front door before following you.

“I wanted to check up on you and make sure you were doing fine. You’ve been missing from school for the whole week and didn’t reply to any of our messages or calls. We were worried, especially Suho and Sehun.” He truthfully replied as he plopped himself beside you on the couch.

“Sorry.” You apologised, guilt starting to creep in.

“It doesn’t matter now since you’re safe and doing well.” He ruffled your hair. It seemed as if he had more to say but he held back.

There was a comfortable silence between the two of you. The only sound was coming from the drama that was showing on tv. The two of you silently watched the tv, no words needing to be exchanged as both of you just enjoyed the comfort of being in the presence of the other.

“Do you want a drink?” You asked after a while, breaking the silence.

“Nah, I’m good.” He replied, stretching at the same time. You hummed in response before getting up to get yourself a drink. Facing away from Kai, your face contorted in pain. The painkillers were wearing off and you were starting to feel the pain again.

“.” You muttered as you held onto your abdomen.

*This hurts. A lot. The painkillers are in my room but I can’t take them with Kai around.* You thought as you started walking to the kitchen.

Kai’s head snapped towards you. He stood up abruptly and turned you around. His eyes moved towards your hand that was still clutching onto your wound and he silently removed it before lifting up your shirt.

“Y-yah! W-what are you doing?” You stared at him, baffled. You tried shoving him away but he stood frozen in place. His eyes landed on your exposed waist that was wrapped around with bandage. You roughly tugged on your shirt to pull it back down.

“What was that?” Kai demanded, his voice sending chills down your spine.

“N-nothing.” You stuttered, not able to form a coherent sentence after meeting his gaze.

“Stop lying.” He growled, stepping closer to you.

“I’m not. Why do you even care?” You retorted.

“Why do I even care? Are you seriously asking me why I even care? You ing went missing for a whole week without any notice and I come to visit you only to find you injured and you’re ing lying to me about it. You don’t even trust me enough to tell me the truth. We’ve known each other for months and even lived under the same roof but you’re being so ing distant right now not answering our calls and texts. Do you even have the slightest idea of how ing worried we were? Stop being ing selfish for once and think of others, will you?” Kai exploded.

You flinched visibly at his tone. His words had really stung you. Never have you seen Kai raise his voice or curse no matter how grave the situation was. This was the first time that you’ve seen this side of Kai unlike his mischievous and playful side. You were terrified.

There was a moment of tense silence as Kai tried to calm himself down while you stared blankly at the floor, eyes glistening with tears that were threatening to fall.

“Just what are you hiding, Kim Hyeri?” Kai questioned, his voice softer and there was a hint of sadness.

A sudden knock on your front door made your head snap up. You turned away from Kai and went to answer the door to find Changmin and Yoochun standing at your front door holding a bouquet of flowers and a basket of snacks. At the sight of you, their faces lit up and they tackled you for a hug.

“We miss our princess!” They chorused together while hugging you. You whimpered softly which made them let go of you abruptly after realising that you were still injured.

“We’re so sorry. We forgot.” Yoochun apologised.

“I swear I’ll ing kill those Dragons and anyone related to them for hurting you, including that Yerin and Yenny.” Changmin swore.

“What?” Kai cried in bafflement. Only then did Changmin and Yoochun notice that there was someone else with you. Your eyes widened when you realised that Kai was still there.

“Oh, aren’t you Kai from EXO?” Changmin pointed out.

“Neh, hyungnim. What do you mean by what you just said?” Kai bowed slightly at the both of them before inquiring about what he just heard.

Both Yoochun and Changmin looked at you expectantly. You remained silent before nodding at them, signalling to them that it was safe to tell Kai about the situation. They nodded back at you and motioned Kai to take a seat. You switched of the tv and excused yourself for a bit. You left it up to your two samchons to explain everything to Kai.

You walked up to your room and rummaged through your drawer to find the painkillers. Grabbing the water bottle on your bedside table, you gulped a few mouthfuls of water and swallowed the prescribed amount of pills. After placing them back in their respective places, you plopped down on your bed and lifted up your shirt. Deciding that it was time to change your wound dressing, you got up again and grabbed the necessary things before busying yourself with applying medication and wrapping the new gauze and bandages around your wound.

You were tucking in the end of the bandage so that it wouldn’t open when the door to your bedroom opened and Kai emerged, taking slow steps towards you. His face portrayed remorse and disappointment. You stood up when he was a few feet away and was engulfed into a hug. Your eyes widened at the contact.

“I’m so sorry for screaming at you. I didn’t realise what you were going through. I’m so stupid. I should’ve realised it sooner. You should’ve told me. Please don’t keep something like this from me. I’ll always be by your side no matter what.” He softly whispered as he gently held you close. Closing your eyes, you basked in the warmth of being in his arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following Monday morning, you woke up to your alarm clock. Rising out of bed, you began to prepare for school. You stared into the mirror at your dishevelled appearance. Sighing, you took a shower before tying up your hair in a neat ponytail and covering your eye bags and pale face with a thin layer of make-up.

You drank a glass of coffee and took your painkillers. You placed some in your school bag before heading off to school. Since it was quite early, you decided to walk to school instead of taking the bus, enjoying the morning breeze as well as the scenery. You managed to reach school 5 minutes before the first bell rang.

When you opened the classroom door and stepped in, everyone turned to stare at you. Ignoring them, you took your seat and plugged in your earpiece before zoning out while listening to your ipod. You disregarded the worried glances thrown your way by the EXO boys.

As lunch approached, you kept your earpiece and ipod away and slid your painkillers into your blazer pocket. When the bell finally rang, you made a beeline for the door and headed for the rooftop. It was like your safe haven in the school where there was peace for you to sort out your thoughts. Leaning forward against the railing, you closed your eyes and let your mind wander.

#FLASHBACK#

“What’s going on?” You asked, already bracing yourself for what was to come.

“We’re just going to tell it to you straight. There’s no use in beating around the bush.” Yunho started off, earning an approving nod from you.

“The thing is, we did a little research on the people that EXO is currently working with and we found out a few stuff.” Yoochun continued. When you didn’t respond, they took it as a sign to continue.

“The truth is, Jang Yerin and Jang Yenny are the daughters of Jang Minhyuk.” Changmin broke the news to you.

“You mean the Dragons’ boss?” You questioned, eyebrows furrowing.

“Yeah, him. Remember how you told us that Yerin’s father came to your house? That wasn’t her real father. He’s just one of the Minhyuk’s lackeys.” Junsu answered.

You stared at them with widened eyes, shocked by the new information. *What have I gotten EXO into? No wonder they looked so familiar.*

#END FLASHBACK#

Unknowingly, your hands were gripping tightly around the railing. Feeling weak all of the sudden, you slumped down to the ground and brought your legs to your chest with your back against the railing. Staring up at the sky, you took a few deep breaths to calm yourself down.

*I don’t know what they’re up to but I have to stop it somehow. Even if it kills me.* With that resolve, you closed your eyes for the second time and drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

School ended half an hour ago but you were still on the rooftop looking down at the mass of students filing out of school. Looking at your watch, you realised that you should get going if you wanted to visit Halmoni before the day got too late. You sauntered back to class and quickly packed your things before heading out of school.

As you were walking along the hallway, another figure was heading your way from the other end. You recognised her immediately and you were hoping you wouldn’t have to bump into her or her sister. Avoiding eye contact, you wanted to just pass by her quickly.

“I thought you’d died after getting stabbed.” She commented, smirking at you as she turned around to face you. You stopped in your tracks.

“Getting rid of me won’t be that easy. I’m sure your father would know that by now too. And I’m pretty sure he still has some business to settle with me so he won’t kill me off that fast.” You turned to look at her.

“I’m very well aware of that. He has something in store for you, Kim Jaejoong’s daughter. Please look forward to it. You’re going to have a hell of a time. And don’t worry, I’ll take care of EXO, I promise. I bet they like me better than you anyway.” She smiled wryly.

“You’re a wretched .” You spat at her. It took all of your self-control to not slap her across the face, opting to clench your fists instead.

And with impeccable timing, EXO and Yerin appeared from around the corner. Taking this chance, Yenny began crying and ran up to them, leaving you baffled by her antics but you recovered almost immediately.

*What did I expect? She is the daughter of Minhyuk after all. I wonder what she came up with?* You thought with a huff.

You watched as EXO and the two Jang sisters approached you. With a tilt of your head and a small smirk playing on your lips, you patiently waited for what they had to say.

“Is it true that you slapped Yenny and called her a for no apparent reason?” Suho questioned with his eyebrows furrowed.

“I did call her a but I have my reasons. The rest of the story that she told you, I leave it up to you if you want to believe it or not.” You calmly responded.

“I expected better of you, Kim Hyeri.” Suho voiced out, his tone laced with disappointment. Looking at the other boys’ expressions, you knew they were supporting Yenny too.

“I expected better of you too, Suho-ssi.” You replied before turning to walk away. However, once you were out of the school compounds, you ran all the way home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EXO’s POV

All of them stood there in thought as tension filled the air, staring at Hyeri’s retreating figure.

“I believe in Hyeri noona.” Sehun spoke up after a while before sprinting off to find her, not even bothering to look back.

The rest of the boys stared after him with widened eyes. Kai stepped forward and turned to look at his hyungs. His expression was a mixture of anger, sadness and most of all disappointment.

“I thought you knew Hyeri better than that. I’m disappointed in you hyungs. I thought you said we were a family. I guess that was a lie, huh? So Yenny is more important than Hyeri. I get it now. If you only knew the truth.” Kai sadly gazed at them before sprinting away to find Hyeri too.

“Hyung, I think Kai’s right. We should know Hyeri better than that.” Chen stated while looking at his leader.

“We should go find her.” He continued. The boys were about to comply when Yenny stopped them.

“Sorry but we can’t let you do that.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai’s POV

Kai managed to catch up with Sehun and they were almost out of the school when a horde of men clad in black surrounded the both of them.

“What the hell? Move. We have something important to do.” Kai barked at them.

“Sorry but we can’t let you pass.” One of them stated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Hope you enjoy this update! Please look forward to future updates. Secrets and past events will all be revealed soon. Oh, and if you haven't noticed, I added a title for each chapter. ^^

I wrote a new story and it's different from the usual genre that I write. If you're free do, take a look. It features EXO. Just Me, Myself and I

Subscribe, comment, upvote and love~ ^^