Emptiness

Behind The Mask

 

EXO's POV

 

"What's taking that brat so long?" Kris huffed impatiently. Just as soon as he said that, the sound of whirring engine could be heard and Sehun appeared on his bike, making his way over to his hyungs.

 

"Speak of the devil." Kai commented.

 

Once Sehun's helmet was off, the EXO members got a good look of the huge grin plastered on his face.

 

"Sorry I was late." He apologised sheepishly while still grinning.

 

"Y-yah. Why are you smiling like that? You're creeping me out." Tao backed away from Sehun and hid behind Kris.

 

"Nothing." Sehun sing-songed, obviously proving that something was difinitely up.

 

"Spill it, maknae. You can't be this happy for no reason." Chanyeol nudged him.

 

Sehun patted his chin with his index finger and seemed to be contemplating whether or not to answer. He finally leaned in and whispered into Chanyeol's ear.

 

"Noona. Kissed. Me." Sehun whispered each word clearly. It took a few seconds for Chanyeol to process the words in his mind before he burst out screaming.

 

"Mwoh?!? Riri kissed you?!? Where?!?" Chanyeol screamed as he shook Sehun.

 

"Here." Sehun patted his cheek while giggling.

 

EXO, excluding Sehun, froze at Sehun's confession. All kinds of thoughts whizzed through their minds before all of them burst out into a chorus of "Mwoh?!".

 

"You're lying, right?" Tao pressed on for answers.

 

"Nope. You can ask her to confirm it." Sehun replied. Some of the boys were ready to pounce the maknae but Suho interrupted them at the right moment.

 

"Alright, alright, that's enough. We should head inside." Suho stopped the impending fight and made them turn their attention o the huge mansion in front of them.

 

"Woah~ Yerin sure is rich." Sehun commented as he got a good look of the massive building in front of him.

 

The boys slowly made their way towards the mansion. Halfway through they were greeted by a couple in their late-fourties, the head butler and head maid of the Jang family. EXO were given clear instructions on their jobs.

 

"If the mistress is at home, you may take turns to accompany her. Those not accompanying her will be given tasks that need to be done around the house. At night, you are to take shifts guarding her room. In school, all of you are to follow her everywhere she goes. If the mistress is going out, all of you will have to go along with her. Are you clear on what to do?" The head butler, Mr Lee, explained.

 

"Neh." EXO chorused.

 

"Now follow me. I'll show you boys your rooms." The head maid, Mrs Lee, ushered them. The boys followed her silently to the second floor of the house.

 

"These are your rooms. You boys can decide among yourselves the rooming arrangement. The mistress' room is right down the hallway. Once you've settled in, Mr Jang would like to meet you. His office is on the third floor just right above you. If you get lost, just ask for directions from any of the maids. Please work hard." Mrs Lee smiled warmly before walking away.

 

The boys were given two rooms, which were right across from each other, so they decided to split into EXO-K and EXO-M. The rooms were spacious and each member was given a bed and personal closet. Back when they were staying with Hyeri, they slept in mattresses on the floor so it was a huge change for them. All of them quickly unpacked their belongings before making their way to Mr Jang's office.

 

Kris knocked on the wooden door and after getting permission to enter, EXO filed in one after another. Mr Jang greeted them with a smile as he motioned them to come closer.

 

"I'm so glad you boys took up my offer. Your job officially starts tomorrow so you are free to roam around the house for now. Mr Lee would've told you your jobs already so I hope you know what to do. I believe you would do well to protect my daughter. Please don't fail me." Mr Jang addressed them.

 

"Neh, Mr Jang." EXO bowed before turning to leave.

 

When EXO was walking away from Mr Jang's office, they bumped into Yerin who was walking from the opposite direction.

 

"Annyeonghasaeyo. I was looking for you guys. I thought I'd give you a tour of the house." She greeted them with a smile.

 

"Annyeong Yerin-ssi. That would be nice. Please lead the way." Suho accepted her offer.

 

The boys gaped at all the huge rooms that were used for different purposes. There was a bar, ballroom, music room, library, indoor pool, indoor garden/greenhouse, arcade and many more. After half an hour of touring the house, the boys finally arrived at a lounge which was the last room.

 

"Well, that's the end of the tour. I hope you guys enjoy your stay here. I heard you will only start work tomorrow so I won't bother you. I'll be in my room if you need me." Yerin excused herself and left the boys on their own devices.

 

"This house is super huge!!!" Chanyeol exclaimed once Yerin was out of earshot.

 

"I know right. I don't want to get lost." Lay piped in, referring to his poor memory and sense of direction.

 

"I think the house is too big. I liked Hyeri's house better. I wonder what she's doing right now." Chen muttered under his breath before heaving a sigh.

 

"Probably working and doing her odd jobs again." Kai answered softly.

 

The boys fell into a comfortable silence as they remembered the times they spent with Hyeri. Sighs would constantly be heard. To stop the dampening mood, Kris decided to break the silence.

 

"I think we should rest today. I heard that Yerin always has to attend events and parties and we're to guard her at all times. It's going to be tiring." Kris suggested. The boys nodded and silently departed for their rooms.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Meanwhile...

 

Kim Hyeri's / Your POV

 

"I can finally do everything freely but why do I feel so empty?" You grunted unhappily. Ruffling your hair, you trudged back into your once again empty house. All the liveliness seemed to have disappeared. You sighed as you fell face first into your bed.

 

"If they're going to work hard, I have to as well." You whipped out your phone and texted 2PM, informing them that you were available for work. A reply came straight after with a whole list of new jobs.

 

*Seems like I'm going to be busy at night.* You shut your eyes tight, already feeling the fatigue building up. Sighing, you forced yourself out of bed and got ready for your afternoon job.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The following day...

 

You woke up to your alarm. The whole house was silent and you didn't hear the usual arguing. *They're really gone, aren't they?*

 

You did your usual morning routine and ate breakfast alone. *I should be used to the silence by now.* You thought as you ate. Finishing breakfast, you grabbed your bag and left the house.

 

"Hyeri noona!!! Annyeong!!!" Sehun greeted you while leaning against his bike and waving cutely with a huge smile on his face.

 

"Sehun-ah, what are you doing here?" You asked him with a questioning look on your face.

 

"To give you a ride to school." He chirped as he forcefully placed the helmet on your head and dragged you to sit behind him. Before you could protest, he already revved his engine and sped off. All you could do was clung onto him for dear life and close your eyes shut.

 

*I'm going to die! I'm going to die! He rides even worse than Kris! Please God, I'm still too young to die! When will this end?!* You kept screaming in your head.

 

"Noona, we're here already." Sehun shook you.

 

"Huh?" You finally opened your eyes and blankly stared at Sehun. Getting out of your daze, you slowly got off the bike and threw the helmet at Sehun.

 

"I will never. I repeat. Never. Ride with you again." You glared at him.

 

"Ahhh~ Wae noona?" He whined.

 

"Cause' I almost died!" You screamed and walked off, fuming.

 

"Noona! Wait up! Jjongmal mianhae!" Sehun shouted after you but you were already out of sight as you disappeared within the throng of students.

 

Instead of going straight to class as you always did, you lingered in the school garden. When the students in the hallway had thinned, you finally made your way to class. Walking to your seat, you realised that the seating arrangement had changed. D.O, Chanyeol, Kai, Tao and Sehun were no longer seating around you and were seated around Yerin instead on the other end. They sent you apologetic looks but you simply shrugged it off as you took the seat at the very end of the class. However, you felt slightly hurt and jealous.

 

*It's their job.* You reminded yourself as you stared out the window.

 

In the middle of first period, a letter addressed to you was thrown onto your desk.

 

Is it true that you kissed Sehun on the cheek yesterday? -Chanyeol

 

Yeah. Wae? -Hyeri

 

How could you? I want one too! It's unfair! Unfair! *sobs* -Chanyeol

 

You rolled your eyes at his childishness and didn't bother to reply, choosing to continue staring out the window. From the corners of your eyes, you could see Chanyeol pouting at you with his tearful puppy dog eyes. Soon, lunch time rolled around.

 

Thinking that you were going to eat with the boys as usual under the tree, you were dejected when you found out they were eating at the canteen. According to Suho, Yerin's father told them that it was dangerous for his daughter to be out in the open. Again you shrugged it off before casually walking off. But as soon as you turned away from them, the hurt was visibly seen in your eyes. Settling yourself under the tree, you closed your eyes and let your mind drift off.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

By the end of the school day, EXO and you had very little interactions since you guys were rarely together. As soon as school was over, they had rushed off to accompany Yerin to a party and you had rushed off for your afternoon job.