Afraid and Confused

Love in Disguise

 

            Yoona woke up and rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand.  She felt a heavy weight on her body, and she quickly look to her side.  She saw Seunghyun sleeping soundly.  She was finally able to have a clear view of Seunghyun’s lashes.  She took her free hand and gently traced the features to his face.  He was so perfect.  His skin was flawless, his lips were perfectly plump, and his nose was impeccably sculpted. 

            Yoona heard a knock on the door, and as a response, she used all of her strength to push Seunghyun away.  Of course, she didn’t have enough strength to push him completely away, but she managed to wake him up from his slumber.  He groggily opened his eyes to see Yoona alert and awake.

            “What’s wrong?” Seunghyun asked.

            Yoona bit her lip, “Someone’s at the door.  Answer it!”

            Seunghyun leaned in for a good morning kiss and then stood up from the bed.  He unlocked the door to see a maid standing there with a cordless phone in her hand.

            “Good morning, sir,” the maid bowed, “There is a call for you and Miss Yoona.  The caller is Mr. Kang.”

            Daesung never called the house phone; he usually called Seunghyun’s cellphone if he needed something.  He took the phone from the maid and then she walked away after bowing to him.  Seunghyun pressed the phone against his ear.

            “Daesung ah,” he greeted.

            “Hyung, please put me on speaker.  Yoona is with you, right?” Daesung questioned.

            Seunghyun pressed the speakerphone button so that Yoona could listen to what Daesung was going to say.  Yoona noticed that Daesung sounded very panicky and distressed.  She cocked her head to the side and patiently waited for Daesung to talk.

            “Yoona…Seunghyun, you two need to go to the hospital right away,” Daesung choked, “I’ve been here since six in the morning because the hospital called me because of Jiyong’s behavior.”

            “Jiyong?” Seunghyun grew puzzled.

            The last thing he remembered, Jiyong was in his room!  Why was he in the hospital?

            “Why are you guys in the hospital?” Yoona quickly interrogated, “Is someone hurt?”

            Daesung replied, “Yes.  An unknown woman shot Jessica last night.  Her friend, Changmin sshi, saw her laying on the floor and called an ambulance immediately.”

            “We’ll be there in fifteen minutes!” Yoona exclaimed.

___________________

            Jiyong hated seeing her in a hospital bed.  He was sitting by her side as he held her hand.  He kissed her hand again and again.  He must have kissed it over a hundred times. 

            Luckily, there wasn’t any real damage done.  The criminal obviously had bad aim because even though she had tried to shoot Jessica in a vulnerable spot, like her heart, she missed and it hit Jessica’s shoulder instead.  The only reason why Jessica was still sleeping was because she was given painkillers to ease a lot of the pain that she was feeling.

            Nonetheless, Jiyong felt very protective of her.  Someone had tried to take his girlfriend’s life, and he had a right to be concerned.  His tired eyes blinked as he saw the door open.  Many people had visited them.  So far, Daesung, Sooyoung, Seungri, Seohyun, and Young Bae had checked up on them.

            He saw Seunghyun and Yoona holding hands as they stood by the doorway.  It looked as if they had been running because their chests were heaving up and down.  Yoona’s hair was quickly put up in a messy bun, and she had quickly dressed in a pair of leggings and a sweater.  Seunghyun didn’t even comb his hair; he just brushed through his hair with his fingers.  He was wearing his old hoodie and a pair of denim jeans.

            “What happened to her?” Yoona quickly asked.

            She frantically walked up to the hospital bed and let go of Seunghyun’s hand.  She studied Jessica.  Even when she slept, she looked like a princess.  Her fingers were intertwined with Jiyong’s fingers as he held it securely.

            “She got shot by someone,” Jiyong informed her, “We don’t know who it is.  It’s just unbelievable that someone wanted to hurt her.  The bullet hit her shoulder and missed any vital organs.  The doctors removed the bullet last night.”

            Someone knocked on the door and then entered the room.  Yoona and Seunghyun looked at the two doctors that had walked in.  Both doctors were handsome.  Yoona was actually in awe, but hid it or else Seunghyun would be jealous.  The taller doctor had Jessica’s charts and files.  The shorter one entered the room more timidly.

            “Hello, it’s a pleasure to meet you two,” the taller one said, “My name is Dr. Shim Changmin.  I actually called the ambulance for Jessica.”

            “And my name is Dr. Park Jaebeom,” the other one claimed.

            Yoona’s eyes widened, but she hid her reaction successfully.  She bowed to the two doctors and then nudged Seunghyun to bow back to them.  After Jaebeom took Jessica’s vitals, he charted it on Jessica’s folder.  Jiyong remained completely solemn as he carefully watched Jaebeom take her vitals.  Changmin began to discuss what had happened to Jessica for Yoona and Seunghyun.

            When the two doctors left, Jiyong let out a sigh.

            “I can’t stand that guy,” Jiyong cursed.

            Yoona added, “Isn’t he Jessica’s ex-boyfriend?”

            “Yeah!” Jiyong exclaimed, “I thought I got rid of that bastard.”

            “You got rid of him?  What did you do, Jiyong?” Seunghyun asked.

            Jiyong confessed, “I made him lose his job, okay?  I found out he visited Jessica, and I got so angry.  Jessica found out what I did, and when she was in the emergency room, she told me to find a way for Jaebeom to return so that he could be one of her doctors or she would refuse any treatment.  She’s so stubborn.”

            Jessica began to stir in her sleep as the painkillers began to wear out.  Her eyes slowly fluttered open.  Her vision was blurred at first, but as she began to blink, it grew clearer.  She saw Jiyong’s face in front of her.  His frown had turned into a smile.  She looked to her side and saw Yoona and Seunghyun looking back at her.

            “You’re finally awake!” Yoona cheered.

            Jessica tried sitting up, but ended up wincing at the pain.  Her shoulder was aching.  She looked at her shoulder and remembered that she had been shot.  She sighed and pouted out her lips.

            “My shoulder is killing me,” she grumbled.

            “Do you want me to ask the doctor to give you more painkillers?” Jiyong offered.

            Jessica shook her head, “No, I don’t want to be drugged up and drowsy again.  I love sleeping, but I don’t want to sleep that much.”

            “Jessica, I’m just glad that you’re okay,” Jiyong whispered, “You need to tell me what happened.  Do you know why that woman tried to kill you?”

            Jessica’s eyes darted away from his.  If she told him, she would regret it.  What if he did something that he would regret?  She knew that he would be willing to kill anyone that tried to kill her.  It was her battle to fight, and she needed to do this on her own.  To add on to that, she didn’t want to trouble him with anything.  He already looked tired enough.

            “I don’t know why that woman tried to kill me,” Jessica lied, “I think it’s because she was a pickpocket and she wanted my money.”

__________________________

            Seunghyun and Yoona had to leave after speaking to Jessica for about twenty minutes.  They had to go home and get ready for their last day of school.  Yoona dressed in a skirt and blouse with a pair of strapped sandals.  Seunghyun wore a pair of gray pants and a white button up shirt. 

            As they walked onto the campus, Seunghyun took her hand into his and kissed her knuckles.  Yoona gave a sweet smile as they continued to walk together.  Of course, there were a lot of people staring at them.  Some were jealous of Seunghyun, and some were jealous of Yoona.

            “Tabi,” Yoona whispered, “People are staring at us.”

            “Well, of course,” Seunghyun scoffed, “People will always be jealous of us.”

            Yoona rolled her eyes and then let go of his hand as she saw her friends.  She was planning on walking to class with them.  Seunghyun seemed to grow a bit irritated that she had let go of his hand.  He saw her waving at Seohyun and Yuri with a big grin on her face.

            “Yoona ah!” he called out.

            Yoona turned around, “What?  I need to get to class.  We’re having a potluck in class for our last day for this school year!”

            He puckered up his lips, which caught Seohyun and Yuri off guard.  Seunghyun didn’t see Young Bae, Seungri, Daesung, and Geun Suk watching from the side.  Seungri stifled in his laughter to see Seunghyun acting so loving towards Yoona.  They had never seen him act like that especially in public.

            “I need a goodbye kiss,” Seunghyun claimed.

            Yoona crossed her arms, “We’re only going to be apart for a few hours.”

            “Those hours will feel like an eternity for me,” Seunghyun explained.

            Yoona couldn’t help but giggle.  She gave in as she walked back to her boyfriend.  She tiptoed and gently kissed him on his lips.  When she pulled away, she saw a big grin on Seunghyun’s face.

            “By the way, don’t wait for me after class,” Yoona informed him, “I’ll meet you at home.  I’m going to visit Jessica again.  I want to talk to her privately.”

            Seunghyun was going to object, but he remembered that the more he tried to have a grasp on her, the more she disobeyed him.  He reluctantly nodded.  He trusted her that she wouldn’t do anything out of her boundaries.

_____________________

            Jessica was bored out of her mind.  She had forced Jiyong to go to school because it was his last day of class.  He was persistent in staying with her, but she threatened to ignore him if he didn’t go to class.  He was resistant, but he left to go to class.  She promised to text him if there were any changes.

            The door opened and Yoona entered the room.  She had two lunch boxes in her hands.  She had bought lunch for the both of them.  Jessica squealed in excitement as Yoona scurried near the bed.

            “I asked Dr. Changmin, and he said it was fine if you ate something that wasn’t as bland as the food that you’ve been eating the whole day,” Yoona joked.

            Jessica agreed, “The food in the hospital !  There is no flavor whatsoever.”

            Yoona set up the food to show that she had bought two bowls of rice, three servings of kimchi, two servings of bulgogi, and a plate of galbi.  Jessica her lips as she rubbed her hands together.

            “You’re a lifesaver,” Jessica praised her.

            The two began to eat as they enjoyed the scrumptious food.  Yoona stuffed with the savory meat as Jessica used her chopsticks to pick up some rice.

            “How are you and Jiyong?” Yoona asked.

            Jessica answered, “We’re doing fine, but we’re both overly jealous.  He’s super jealous that I forgave Jaebeom and that I said we could be friends again.  The fact that he was Dara still irks me.  The way Dara looked at him made me envious.  It looked as if she still loved him.”

            “You should speak with Dara,” Yoona suggested.

            Jessica scoffed, “You think Jiyong would allow it?”

            “Do you want to talk to Dara?” Yoona questioned.

            “I don’t know,” Jessica confessed, “I don’t know if I’m ready.  I think I may try to get some information on her first.  I was kind of hoping that Jiyong would tell me about her, but he always changes the subject when I bring her up.  It’s confusing.”

            There was a knock on the door.  Yoona opened the door to see that it was one of Jessica’s doctors.  Jaebeom stepped into the room with a vase full of flowers.  He gave a warm smile and then bowed to the two women.  Jessica gave a weak smile and Yoona bowed back.

            “My mother heard of what happened,” Jaebeom claimed, “My mother wanted to give you a bouquet of flowers in hopes that you would get better.”

            Jessica looked at the bouquet and smiled.  She remembered that his mother was the sweetest woman ever.  She loved planting and taking care of flowers.  Yoona looked at Jaebeom and could immediately tell that he was still in love with Jessica.  Yoona knew what he did to Jessica, but Yoona could guess that he was regretting it.

            As soon as Jaebeom left, Yoona closed the door and began to squeal like a little girl. 

            “He’s a hot doctor!” Yoona swooned, “Dr. Shim is hot, too!  If I’m ever going to get hospitalized, remember to bring me here, okay?”

            “Seunghyun would never let you out of his sight if he heard what you just said,” Jessica shook her head.

            “That’s true,” Yoona pouted, “Good thing he’s not here.”

            Yoona’s phone began to ring.  She took out her phone and answered it.  She expected it to be Seunghyun, but she was surprised to see that it was Luna. 

            “Hello?” Yoona answered.

            “Yoona ah!” Luna exclaimed, “I’m sorry to bug you, but I would like to ask you to come here to the school right now.  Hyeri refuses to talk to anyone because a group of kids were bullying her.  I know that she has a connection with you.  I just want you to talk to her.  She refuses to eat, and I’m worried.”

            “I’ll be there,” Yoona assured her.

            Yoona excused herself and hurried out of the hospital so that she could get to Hyeri’s school faster. 

____________________

            Yoona stepped out of her car and entered the small school that Hyeri attended.  As soon as she entered the school, Luna ran up to her and hugged her.  Yoona hugged Luna back and gave a smile.  Her eyes searched for Hyeri, but she couldn’t find her.

            “Luna, where’s Hyeri?” Yoona asked.

            Luna answered, “She’s in the backroom.  She won’t leave that room.  She refused to eat during lunch.  I’m worried.”

            “I’ll speak with her,” Yoona assured Luna.

            Yoona walked over to the backroom after she said hello to the rest of the children.  The children waved at Yoona and then got back to coloring on their coloring books.  She stepped into the room and saw Hyeri crying in the corner while sitting on a chair.  Her hands were covering her face as she let out soft sobs.  Yoona walked over to her and wrapped her arms around the little girl.  Hyeri’s tears began to stain Yoona’s shirt, but she didn’t mind.

            “Hyeri, don’t cry.  Everything will be fine,” Yoona murmured.

            “My classmates bullied me,” Hyeri cried, “They told me that I’m a bastard child.  My mother died because she gave birth to a sin, and my father didn’t want me.”

            Yoona felt immediate pity for her.  It was true that she was a child to an unmarried couple, but she was sure that her father did want her.  Her mother didn’t die because she gave birth to a sin; she died in childbirth.  Yoona began to wipe Hyeri’s tears away.

            “Hyeri ah, you and your classmates are still children.  I’m sure that they don’t mean it.  I just want you to forget what they said.  I’m sure that they’ll forget what they said tomorrow,” Yoona reasoned.

            Hyeri sobbed, “I want to know who my umma is.  I want to meet my appa.”

            Yoona hugged her again.  She needed to find a way to help her.  She needed to find a way so that Hyeri would know how her mother looked like and who her father was.

            “I’ll do my best to help,” Yoona muttered.

____________________

Jessica stretched out her arms and then she continued to eat the leftovers that Yoona had left.  Yoona would usually finish her plate, so it amazed Jessica that there were even leftovers.  A nurse then entered the room with a friendly smile on her face.  She bowed to Jessica, and Jessica bowed her head back.  She was careful not to strain her shoulder.

            The nurse had a bouquet of small flowers and a little note.  She handed Jessica the flowers and the little note. 

            “There was a woman that wanted to give these to you, but she said she was in a hurry, so she couldn’t deliver it herself,” the nurse informed her.

            Jessica nodded as the nurse walked away and closed the door behind her.  Jessica looked at the flowers.  They weren’t the usual roses or daisies that she had received.  She took the note and unfolded it.  She began to read it, as her eyes grew narrow. She recognized that handwriting.

 

I am your nightmare

You cannot hide behind him

You better be scared

 

            Jessica’s breathing grew heavy and her pulse increased.  Goose bumps emerged on her skin as she read that little, but threatening note.  Jessica reread it again and realized that it was a haiku.  She had studied that type of poem when she was in high school.  She gulped as the door flung open again.  She saw Jaebeom in a lab coat.  He was probably going to check her vitals again.  Jessica carefully hid the note under her leg so that he wouldn’t see it.

            Jaebeom walked up to the flowers that were set on her side.  He touched the soft petals and then looked at Jessica.  Jessica seemed nervous and afraid. 

            “Who gave you these?” Jaebeom asked.

            “I don’t know,” Jessica admitted, “A nurse delivered it to me.  She said that it was from a woman.”

            Jaebeom grew extremely concerned as he began to look around the hospital room.  He then looked out the windows and he saw a woman in a coat staring at them from outside.  Jaebeom quickly covered the windows with curtains.

“We need to get you out of here.  I think you should get home.  Do you live alone?” he asked.

            “Yeah, I do now,” Jessica confirmed, “Jaebeom, why are you acting like this?  What’s wrong?”

            “You’ll need to stay with Jiyong then.  He’ll protect you,” Jaebeom muttered.

            “What’s wrong?” Jessica grew frightened.

            Jaebeom whispered, “Dr. Changmin told me he saw a woman in a coat run away with a gun after he discovered you on the floor.  I looked out the window, and I saw her.  It has to be the same woman.  Throw those flowers away.”

            “What’s wrong with the flowers?” Jessica questioned.

            “I helped my mom garden flowers as a kid,” Jaebeom recalled, “She told me that different species of flowers represent something. Flowers can represent innocence, happiness, and even love.  Those flowers are from a Cypress vine.  It represents mourning for a death or a funeral!  That woman wants you dead!  It’s like she’s warning you or something.”



 

Author's Note: Here's a quick update! We hope you like it! ^__^