Dangerous Encounter

Love in Disguise

 

            Yoochun yawned as his driver made a right turn.  Work was very tiring for him.  He had to choose a new head chef for one of his restaurants because the former chef had made a mistake and had set the kitchen on fire.  He stared out the window and saw that the streets were empty—just like him.  He had no family in Seoul.  He only had fake friends that he couldn’t trust, and he didn’t have a girlfriend or wife.  He had all the money in the world, but he couldn’t find true happiness.  It was so ironic.

            He quickly sat up as he saw a familiar face walking on the sidewalk.  The woman was walking with a friend by her side.  He tilted his head as he signaled for his driver to drive a bit slower.  He got a glimpse of Yoona walking on the sidewalk with a female friend.  He was guessing that they were about to enter the extravagant house in front of them.

            If she was alone, he would have stopped the car and picked her up.  She looked as if she needed someone to talk to.  Her eyes were puffy because of excessive crying, and her artificial smile made it clear that she was trying to cover it up.

            She was an intriguing person to him.  At first, he thought that she was just another young genius. He had met a few in his life, but when he met Yoona, she fascinated him.  Just by having one 30-minute dinner together, he had formed an attraction for her.  The way she laughed made him want to smile.  The way she smiled made his heart flutter.  Whenever he was around people, they would always try to kiss up to him, but when he was with her, he felt normal.  Buying a date with her may have been expensive and a way to irritate Seunghyun, but in the end, he knew that it was worth every single penny.

__________________

            Jessica sighed as she put down her pen.  She had been writing a graduation speech for her graduation ceremony in a few days.  The dean had selected her as the speaker for her class because she had the most success, ideas, and creativity when it came to fashion.

            She adjusted the beanie on her head and then straightened out her glasses.  She couldn’t think of what to put as a conclusion to her speech.  Jiyong had been in her mind the whole time.  She still couldn’t believe that she had an argument with him.

            “Jessica Jung?” someone called out.

            Jessica turned around and her eyes widened.  The man that had called her name was someone that she had not seen in over five years.  Jessica finally smiled and then ran up to him and hugged him tightly.  He twirled her as he began to laugh to himself.

            “You look great!” he complimented as he set her down.

            Jessica blushed, “Changmin oppa, you don’t look bad yourself!”

            She had not seen Changmin since they were in high school.  She only crossed paths with him once when Jessica’s high school’s soccer team had a match against Changmin’s high school’s soccer team.  Changmin and Jessica came from the same orphanage.  They would write letters to each other after they were both adopted, but as they grew older, they wrote less until there were none written. 

            “What are you doing here?” Changmin asked, “What have you been up to?”

            Jessica replied, “Well, I’m writing a graduation speech.  I’m graduating in fashion soon, and they chose me to make a speech.”

            “Really?  That’s an honor to have you as the speaker,” Changmin added, “Have you decided which company you would like to work with?”

            Jessica had thought about which company she had wanted to work for.  Because she was associated with Jiyong and the Choi family, many designers were dying to have her in their company, but she wanted to be known for her own skills.  She wanted to join a company that would let her shine naturally.

            “Well, I would like to work for Ahn Kahi’s fashion company,” Jessica revealed, “I’ve been wanting for work for her since I was fifteen.  I know that I’ll grow as a designer there.  Kahi sshi has so much experience, and I want her to take me under her wing.”

            “I met her once,” Changmin confessed, “She really rules with an iron fist.  She’s looks so scary, but she’s actually kind-hearted.”

            Jessica changed the subject, “By the way, what have you been up to, oppa?”

            “I finished medical school,” Changmin informed her, “I’ve passed my exams to become a doctor, and I started working at a local hospital about three weeks ago.”

            Jessica then realized that it was a bit awkward that the both of them were standing and talking when they could have been sitting down on the chairs and talking more comfortably.  Jessica signaled for him to sit down as she took her seat.  Changmin immediately followed her order and took a seat across from her.

            “It’s been good seeing you,” Changmin smiled.

            “Yeah, the last time I saw you, you were a geeky nerd.  You wore a Star Wars t-shirt and you had braces,” Jessica teased.

            Changmin remarked, “And you were the popular girl that everyone envied.”

            Jessica laughed at the memories.  She still could remember the times she had with Changmin in the orphanage.  He was probably the first guy she could trust.  All those promises and secrets that they shared could never be forgotten.

            “Do you remember the last promise we made to each other before we were separated?” Changmin finally asked.

            Jessica smiled, “Yes, I remember.”

            “We promised each other that when we were adults, we would marry each other if we didn’t find love with anyone else yet,” Changmin chuckled.

            “Oppa…I’m sorry I can’t fulfill that promise,” Jessica uttered, “I’m already with Ji—.”

            “Jiyong,” Changmin finished for her, “Choi Jiyong, right?  I already know, Sica.  It doesn’t help that your face is plastered all over the magazines.  I wish you happiness with him.  I know that you’ll make him happy; I hope he can do the same for you.”

            Jessica gave a simple nod and then took a sip of her coffee.  As she took a sip of her coffee, Changmin couldn’t help but watch her.  She was so graceful even if she wasn’t trying.  He couldn’t believe that he was still in love with her after all these years.  He took a deep breath; he wasn’t going to interfere with her love life.  He knew that she was happy with Jiyong, and he wouldn’t dare stripping her away from her happiness. 

______________________

            Yoona stared at the ceiling as Fei, Yuri, and Nichkhun tried to comfort her.  She was at Nichkhun’s house with some of her best friends.  She was sitting on a comfortable sofa with her head back.  No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t take Seunghyun off her mind. 

            “Yoona, look what he did to you!” Nichkhun was furious, “He hurt you physically!”

            Fei shyly interfered, “I don’t think he meant it.  People do things without even knowing it.  I don’t think Seunghyun oppa would try to hurt her on purpose.”

            “Yeah,” Yuri nodded, “It was an accident.”

            “That’s complete nonsense!” Nichkhun roared, “He hurt her!  Look at her wrist.  His monstrous hands had squeezed her wrist too hard.  How dare he accuse Yoona of cheating?  He’s such a dumb !”

            “Let’s have a sleepover,” Yuri changed the subject, “It can be like old times.”

            Fei giggled, “It’s just like high school!  We would have sleepovers with the four of us since Seohyun’s parents hardly let her out and Sunny’s father wouldn’t let her go because Nichkhun was there.”

            “My parents only let me go because they thought our Khunnie was gay,” Yuri disclosed, “I mean—who wouldn’t think he was gay?  He hung out with a bunch of girls!”

            “Stop it!” Nichkhun frowned.

            After everything was settled down, they began to watch a few movies.  They chose to watch a few animated movies such as Spirited Away and Tangled.  During the time they were watching the films, Yoona’s phone would vibrate because of the texts and calls from Seunghyun.  Yoona chose to ignore them.  She needed space away from him, and he wasn’t helping much.

            She then received a call from someone that she would never expect to call her.  It was from Eugene.  Yoona excused herself from the living room and entered an empty bedroom.  She answered the phone and pressed it against her ear.

            “Hello?” Yoona answered.

            Eugene sounded desperate, “Yoona, where are you?  Dear, I think you should come home already.  The maids told me that they overhead you and Seunghyun arguing.  He had ruined his whole office.  He wouldn’t even come down for dinner.  Please come home.”

            Yoona sighed, “I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

____________________

            Jessica felt completely furious.  During her conversation with Changmin, she had discovered something.  Changmin worked in the same hospital Jaebeom did.  Jaebeom had quit traveling the world and had settled down in Seoul.  Changmin revealed that one of the doctors had been fired due to the orders of the chairman.  There were rumors that the chairman had been persuaded to fire Jaebeom as one of their doctors for unknown reasons.

            She knew that Jiyong did it.  He was the only one that didn’t like Jaebeom.  She walked out of the coffee shop and started to walk home.  He had the power to do whatever he wanted, but it didn’t give him the right to strip Jaebeom’s job away from him.  He had been working on that medical degree for years, and Jessica found in unfair that Jiyong could sabotage him for a stupid reason.

            Jessica felt completely alone as she continued to walk through the narrow street.  She took a deep breath.  She should have bought her car.  She figured that because the coffee shop was only four blocks away, she might have as well walked, but she was regretting it now.

            She felt someone grab her shoulder and twist her around.  Jessica gasped and saw that it was the same woman from the last time she was warned.  She was wearing the same exact thing.  Her eyes were covered because of the fedora hat.  Only her lips could be seen.  Her trench coat covered her whole body.  She had dug her hands into the pockets of the coat.

            “Who are you?  What do you want?” Jessica asked.

            “You know what I want,” the woman replied, “I have warned you many times, Jung Jessica.  Stay away from Choi Jiyong.  Stay away and you’ll be fine.  If you don’t, I’ll make your life a living hell.  You’ll be paranoid for the rest of your life.  Stay away or you’ll regret it.”

            Jessica stuttered, “N-No!  I’m not going to stay away.  I love him!”

            “But you argued with him,” the woman gave a grim smile, “and you two had a big fight earlier.”

            Jessica’s eyes widened.  How did this woman know that she had argued with Jiyong?  She didn’t even tell her own friends yet.  Jessica took a step back as the woman took a daring step forward.

            “I know things about you that you don’t even know about,” the woman hissed, “I know everything that goes on with Jiyong’s life, and as long as you’re there, I’m not going to stop—I’ll even go to the depths of eliminating you.”

            “Jiyeon?  Jia?” Jessica shook with fear, “Who are you?”

            “That’s not important,” the woman replied, “Just stay away, okay?”

            Jessica shook her head again, “I can’t stay away from him.  I love him!”

            “You made a bad decision,” the woman said.

            Without another word, she began to walk away.  Jessica tried to follow her, but stopped in her tracks.  The woman had pulled out a gun from her coat and pointed it at Jessica.  Jessica raised her hands up as her eyes widened.  She was never held at gunpoint.

            “When someone makes a bad decision, there must be consequences,” the woman sneered.

________________________

            Yoona entered the mansion to see Danny and Eugene waiting for her in the foyer.  Yoona bowed her head, but Eugene quickly hugged her.  Danny gave a grateful smile as Eugene let go of Yoona.

            “We’ve been waiting for you,” Eugene admitted, “We tried to talk to him, but he won’t speak.”

            “You two are his parents,” Yoona muttered, “Shouldn’t he obey you two?”

            Danny answered, “We know what he’s been through in the past.  There are things that we could control, but the way he’s acting right now isn’t one of them.  We think that you’re the only one that can assure him that everything is okay.”

            Yoona nodded and then made her way up the stairs.  When she entered the premises, the maids had informed her that Seunghyun had even threatened to fire some of the maids and butlers if they tried to enter his room.

            She knocked on his door, but he didn’t reply.  She took a deep breath and tried to twist the doorknob, but it was locked.  A maid handed her the key to his room.  Yoona thanked her silently and then unlocked the door to his room. 

            She slowly opened the door to see that his room was dimly lit.  She signaled for the maids to disperse in case Seunghyun stormed out of the bedroom.  They quickly obliged and went downstairs.  Yoona shut the door behind her and locked it.  She needed time alone with Seunghyun without any interference.

            He sensed that someone was behind him.  He was sitting on a wooden chair that had a leather cushion.  He had only drunk two shots of whiskey.  He immediately predicted that it was a maid or butler that was behind him.  Without even thinking, he took an empty glass and threw it at the unknown person’s direction.

            Yoona froze as he threw an empty glass in her direction.  It had missed her by a few inches.  The glass shattered against the wall.  Seunghyun’s eyes softened to see Yoona, and then he felt shameful.  He had almost hurt her again.  If the glass had hit her, he would never forgive himself.  He turned around and had his back towards his girlfriend.  Yoona cautiously approached him and then gave him a loving back hug.  She wrapped her arms around him and rested her chin on his shoulder.

            “How’s my handsome boyfriend?” she tried to brighten up the mood.

            He replied, “Now is not the time to mess around.  I almost hurt you again.”

            “But you didn’t,” Yoona reminded him.

            Yoona finally pulled away from the embrace and faced him in the front.  He buried his face in his hands as if he was ashamed to be in her presence.  Yoona tore his hands away from his face and lifted up his chin so that he could look at her in the eyes.  She gave him a gentle kiss on the lips and then sat on his lap.  He took a deep breath as he inhaled her scent.  She rested her arm over his shoulder as his arms encircled around her slim waist.

            “I didn’t cheat on you,” Yoona finally told him, “I would never do that to you.”

            He finally talked, “Then why did you come to see Yoochun?”

            “He told me about your past.  He didn’t know much, but he told me everything he knew.  I know that there was another woman that you loved before me.  Why couldn’t you tell me about her?  You wouldn’t tell me, so I got desperate and asked Yoochun,” Yoona confessed.

            He sighed in relief, “So you two don’t have a thing for each other?  I know he likes you.  I would be worried if you liked him back.”

            “Of course I don’t like him—well not in that way!” Yoona exclaimed, “I already have you.  He’s just a friend.”

            Yoona looked at him and realized that he looked extremely fatigued.  He must have been worrying over her too much.  His eye bags were noticeable, and he didn’t even have enough energy to smile.  Yoona climbed off his lap and tugged at his hand.

            “Come on, Tabi,” Yoona pulled his hand.

            “Tabi?” he questioned.

            “Chaerin told me your nickname was Tubby as a child, and I find it kind of cute.  I think Tabi is cuter, though,” Yoona explained.

            Seunghyun finally laughed, “Is that my pet name now?”

            “Yeah, it matches your adorable personality,” Yoona laughed, “You need to get to bed now.  Our last day of school is tomorrow.”

            He frowned as she continued to pull him.  She wanted to call it a night already.  He finally stood up, but he wrapped his arms around her waist securely. 

            “Sleep with me,” he requested.

            Yoona’s eyes grew wide as she gently slapped his chest.

            “You ert!” she told him.

            He explained, “Just sleep with me.  There won’t be any funny business—I promise!”

            Yoona looked into his eyes; she trusted him that there won’t be any funny business if he said so. 

            “What will the staff think?  Your parents will be concerned,” she reasoned.

            He shook his head, “I don’t care about what the staff think.  My parents probably think that I already got into your pants, so it doesn’t really matter.”

            “You didn’t get into my pants!” Yoona gasped.

            “Yeah,” he agreed, “but my parents think that I did.  They know my old ways.”

            Yoona scowled as Seunghyun led her to his bed.  She almost forgot his womanizing ways.  It was just amazing how he transformed.  The first time she met him, he was so arrogant and cruel, but when she got to know him better, he was so caring, sensitive, and loving.  It was as if he changed to a completely different person.

            Yoona rested on her back while Seunghyun laid his head on her shoulder.  She could feel his breathing against her neck as he hugged her.  The room was lightly dimmed, but Yoona continued to stare at the high ceilings.

            “Would you like to know about my past?” he suddenly asked.

            This caught Yoona off guard.  Of course she wanted to know about his past!  She looked at him and saw the serious look on his face.  He wasn’t joking around.

            “Of course I would!” Yoona expressed.

            Seunghyun began, “My first love was a complex person.  She was kind of ditzy when I first met her, and I had a bad first impression of her.  I thought she was just a stupid woman, but as I got to know her better, I learned that she wasn’t stupid.  She was just naïve and too kind.  I fell in love with her, but someone important to me fell in love with her, too.”

            “It was Jiyong, huh?  Is her name Dara?” Yoona asked.

            Jessica had told Yoona about Jiyong’s ex.  Jessica and Yoona had come to a conclusion that they had been in love with the same woman because their stories seemed to fit together.  Dara wasn’t with Jiyong for an unknown reason.  They guessed it was because Seunghyun had also fallen for Dara.  Yoochun mentioned that someone from Seunghyun’s clique also fell for the woman that he was in love with.  Jessica and Yoona had to guess that it was Dara that they were both in love with.

___________________________

            Jiyong woke up in the middle of the night because of a nightmare.  His dream was that Jessica was calling his name, but he couldn’t find her.  He sat up from his bed and noticed that he was drenched in sweat.  He quickly removed his t-shirt and threw it to the side.  He ran his fingers through his damp hair and then took a deep breath.  He looked at the clock and saw that it was 12:02 pm.

            Gaho, who was sleeping on the foot of the bed, woke up and comforted his master.  Jiyong petted the top of his head as Gaho rubbed his face on the side of Jiyong’s thigh.

            “It was just a stupid dream,” Jiyong chanted, “There’s nothing bad that’s going to happen to Jessica.”

            Gaho resumed his position on the bed and went back to sleep.  Jiyong stood up and stretched his arms out.  He was about to walk to his balcony to get some fresh air until he heard his cellphone ringing.  He briskly made his way back into his bedroom and picked up his phone.  He raised an eyebrow to see that Jessica was calling him late at night.

            “Hello?” he answered, “Jessica, it’s late.  Is there something wrong?”

            “This isn’t Jessica.  This is Changmin—I’m her friend!” Changmin informed him.

            “Where’s Jessica?” Jiyong panicked, “What happened to her?”

            “She’s in the hospital!” Changmin yelled, “I was getting out of a coffee shop and I saw her lying on the floor!  I saw a woman in a trench coat running away, but it was hard to see her face!  Jessica has been shot!  Please come here to see her now!”


Authors' Notes:  We got really lucky!  Sunshine's calculus class was cancelled for the day and she had no work.  Jessica's English and Public Speaking classes were also cancelled.  We got together to work on an update, and we really hope you liked it.  Please comment and subscribe if you like. :)

(btw, Jessica did the same thing Taeyeon did in the GIF when she found out her classes were cancelled.  Sunshine looked did the same expression as Hyoyeon when she was e-mailed that her calculus class was cancelled lol)