Problems They Face

Love in Disguise

 

            Yoona pouted as she rolled on her belly.  She was in Seohyun’s small apartment while she rested on the bed.  She saw Seohyun applying mascara on her eyelashes while carefully observing her progress through the mirror.  A smile was on Seohyun’s face as Yoona stared at her with amazement.  It was amazing that Seohyun was dating someone.  She was the one that cried in middle school when a classmate called her y.

            “I can’t believe you’re dating Seungri!” Yoona exclaimed.

            Seohyun showed off a shy smile as she put away the mascara.  Yoona observed her and saw how beautiful she looked.  Yoona had fixed Seohyun’s hair in soft curls and applied light makeup on her.  Seohyun chose a flowy dress with beige sandals.  Yoona nodded and gave her a thumb up to display her approval on Seohyun’s appearance. 

            “What’s so surprising about it?” Seohyun questioned.

            Yoona laughed, “It’s just weird how he fell for you.  He was one of the biggest playboys on campus, but ever since he laid eyes on you, he haven’t looked at another.”

            “It’s something that I’ll never be able to explain,” Seohyun confessed, “I’ll see you later, Yoona.  I think Seungri’s going to be here soon!”

            Yoona nodded as Seohyun waved and walked out of the bedroom to meet Seungri at the apartment’s exit.  Yoona looked down on her homework as she put her pencil down.  She lowered her head and pouted out her lips.  She had so much going on in her mind.

            She was the supra valedictorian in high school and she graduated high school at the young age of 16.  She was known by the educated population to be very intelligent and bright, but she was facing the problem of tuition prices.  The school that she was attending was very expensive and most of her scholarship money was wiped out the first few years she attended college.  To add on to that, her biggest scholarship was revoked because the company sponsoring her went bankrupt. 

             Yoona sighed loudly as her troubles began to fill her mind.  She her lips and lifted up her head.

            “I have a big brain,” she whispered to herself, “It shouldn’t be too hard to think of a plan to get tuition money.”

 

___________________________________

 

            Jessica bit her lip as she continued to sketch out the design that was in her mind.  She was designing a wedding dress for a famous singer and she wanted it to be perfect.  Jessica’s eyes darted around the sketchpad numerous times as she began to added details to the dress.

            Her friend then barged into her dorm with a sulky expression.  Jessica knew what that expression meant and immediately put down the sketchpad.  Taeyeon had tears forming on the rims of her eyes as she sat down on a computer chair.  She covered her face as she gently began to sob.

            “I can’t believe it,” Taeyeon murmured.

            Jessica patted her shoulder, “I told you men are evil.  Did that guy cheat on you?”

            Taeyeon nodded, “He told me that he went to go visit his mother, but when I went to the movies with Tiffany, I saw him with another woman.  He sat right in front of me, and I saw him kiss her!”

            Jessica felt pity for her friend as she shook her head in disappointment at Taeyeon’s ex-boyfriend. 

            “Men shouldn’t be trusted,” Jessica uttered.

 

________________________

 

            Silence filled the room as the servants attended the family by serving them their dinner.  The clanking of their utensils was heard as they filled their mouths with New York steak. 

            “Umma, I’m having my piano recital this Saturday!” Janey reminded her mother.

            Eugene smiled gently at her daughter and nodded her head.  Eugene was slowly laying off of work to get more involved with her children’s lives.  Eugene pushed her stray hairs behind her ear and put down her fork.

            “Yes, dear,” Eugene smiled, “I took a day off at work just to go to your recital.”

            Janey grinned, “I’m so excited!  I think there’s going to be someone from oppa’s school that’s going to perform!”

            Seunghyun rolled his eyes as Jiyong chuckled to himself. 

            “Whoever is going to perform is probably a nerd!” Jiyong laughed.

            “I know!” Seunghyun agreed, “Who the heck wants to perform at a little kid’s school?”

            Eugene frowned as Janey stuck her tongue out at her older brothers.  Jiyong and Seunghyun laughed to themselves as Danny shook his head in disapproval.

            “Yah, leave her alone!” Eugene defended Janey, “That person that’s going to perform at Janey’s school must be a music prodigy!”

            Danny added, “Are you boys going to go?”

           “I have a date on Saturday,” Seunghyun said.

            “Yeah,” Jiyong agreed, “I have a date, too.”

            Janey shook her head at her older brothers and continued to push her food around her plate. 

            Janey teased, “I will never understand why women even like dating you two.  You two have a new woman every other week.  It must be tiring.”

            “Leave us alone, you little brat!” Jiyong said in an abrupt tone.

            Janey just flared her nose out and stuck her tongue out mockingly.  Danny and Eugene giggled as they tried to compose themselves.  Janey was always the source to Jiyong and Seunghyun’s annoyance, but they loved her unconditionally.  They were very protective of her and they never wanted to see her hurt.

            “Seunghyun, we really need to talk about your future,” Danny brought up.

            Seunghyun’s eyes were glued to the table as those words rang through his ears.  He knew what his father was going to say.  Seunghyun wasn’t doing well as the future president of the company.  He was smart and knew all of the business tactics, but he wasn’t doing well in having a good image for the public.

            “I know, dad,” Seunghyun told him.

            Danny shook his head, “No, you don’t know.  You’re going to take over the company next year.  You’re graduating college next year!  My colleagues and employees see you as a playboy that lives life carelessly.  Why don’t you stop playing with those sleazy girls and find a good one?  The only thing that’s stopping you from gaining so much respect from the company and other business moguls is that you can’t stick to one girl!”

            “I never two timed a girl!” Seunghyun defended.

            Eugene declared, “Yeah, but you have a new girl every other week.  How will you find a decent wife like that?”

            Jiyong and Janey began to laugh to themselves to see Seunghyun scolded.  Eugene’s eyes darted towards Jiyong while Jiyong’s grin slowly faded into a frown.  Jiyong knew that he was in for it, too. 

            “Same goes for you, Jiyong.  You may not have as many responsibilities as your brother, but you’re just as worse as him!” Eugene fired, “You’re going to be vice-president of the company, but you have bad grades!  You have a D in your business class and you’re barely scraping by your economics class with a C-!  If you’re going to have grades like these, I will drop your other classes!  Why would you even need fashion anyways?”

            Jiyong’s eyes widened, as he grew defensive right away.  He didn’t want to drop his minor classes in fashion and photography.  He stood up right away and was about to walk away until Seunghyun gave him a look.  Seunghyun’s eyes warned him that if he walked away, their parents would punish him.  They would take away everything.

            Jiyong swallowed his pride and sat back down.

            “I’ll try to raise up my grades,” he promised.

 

____________________

 

            Yoona tried to smile as the children began to surround her.  She waved at them with a friendly grin while they showed their excitement with their eyes.  Yoona was dressed in a sophisticated black dress with black pumps.  Her hair was up in a messy bun and she wore light makeup. 

            Seohyun greeted the children and then smiled at Yoona.  Seohyun was a volunteer for an elite children’s school.  She helped them in singing, dancing, and other musical acts.  Seohyun asked Yoona to volunteer and play the piano as part of the intermission.  Seohyun would have done it herself, but she was busy helping the children backstage with their outfits.

            “Thank you for filling in for me with the piano performance,” Seohyun showed her appreciated.

            Yoona replied, “It’s the least I can do.  You let me stay over at your place for the past few weeks because of my money troubles.”

            “Unnie, you can stay as long as you want,” she told Yoona.

            Yoona just smiled at Seohyun.  She knew that Seohyun was having a hard time with Yoona there, but she didn’t want to say anything.  Her apartment wasn’t very spacious; in fact, the space was very limited.  Seohyun loved her privacy and Yoona knew that with her there, her privacy had been limited.  Yoona needed to think of a plan quick so that she could find her own place and pay for her tuition.

            “Unnie, you’re going to be up on stage in about ten minutes,” Seohyun informed her. 

            Yoona nodded and smiled with assurance.  Seohyun then left the room as she tried to get the children in order.  Yoona felt someone tap her shoulder.  She turned around and saw an adorable girl with a smile on her face. 

            “Hi, my name is Janey,” she introduced herself.

            Yoona observed the young girl in front of her while she bowed to Yoona.  Yoona bowed her head and thought that she was the cutest thing ever.  She had chubby cheeks, which complimented her milky skin.  Her eyes were soft and gentle, but there was intensity shown. 

            “It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Yoona shook her hand, “My name is Im Yoona.”

            Janey was just captivated by Yoona.  Just from the first sight, Janey knew that she was going to like her.  Janey began to idolize her right away.  She was intrigued by Yoona’s eloquence, beauty, and presence.

            “I wish I had a sister like you.  I’m stuck with two older brothers,” Janey frowned.

            Yoona patted the top of her head and gave a gentle grin.

            “It would have been fun to have you as a younger sister,” Yoona told her, “I’m the only child and I always wanted a younger sister to take care of.  I always wanted a younger sister so I could dress her up with the cutest clothes.”

            The gears in Janey’s mind began to move quickly as she thought of a plan in her head.  She abruptly grabbed Yoona’s hand and began to jump up and down.  A large grin appeared on her face while Yoona stared at her with curiosity.

            “You can marry one of my brothers!” Janey told her.

            Yoona laughed immediately as she delicately pinched Janey’s chubby cheeks.  Janey’s smile stayed on her face as Yoona tried to explain how complicated it was.

            “Janey, I can’t marry one of your brothers,” Yoona said, “I don’t know them and we’re not in love with each other.”

            Janey smiled, “You’ll love them!  I think you’ll like my oldest brother the best.  My other brother is so absorbed with fashion and photography.  I think you will like my oldest oppa because you’re both smart.  Seohyun unnie told us that you’re exceptionally intelligent, and oppa is, too!  He’s going to be the president in the company soon!”

            Yoona thought that Janey was very outgoing.  When she wanted something, she wasn’t afraid to say it.  Yoona patted her back and gave an inspiring grin.

            “I’m sure that your older brothers will marry wonderful women.  Just be patient and you’ll have great sister-in-laws,” Yoona told her.

            Janey crossed her arms, “My brothers have only dated sleazy women for the past few years!  I want women with class and grace to marry them!”

            Yoona’s eyes grew wide at how persistent Janey was.  Janey kind of reminded her of herself.  When she was that age, she was always talkative and pushy.  Yoona’s heart was filled with happiness that she could reminisce some of her childhood through Janey.

            “I would love to talk to you more, but I really need to get up on stage and perform,” Yoona reminded her, “I would love to become your friend, though.”

            Janey’s eyes were filled with wonder as she stared at Yoona.  Yoona was the nicest adult woman she had ever met.  Even Janey’s older cousins teased and bullied her.  She quickly nodded at Yoona’s request to be friends and hugged her tightly.  Yoona let out a melodic giggle before getting up to go on stage.

            When the whole recital was over, Eugene and Janey headed home.  Eugene was tired, but Janey’s energy was still unmatched.  She was practically bouncing up and down the backseat of her mother’s car even if she had a seat belt on.

            “Umma, did you see Yoona unnie?  She said she wants to be my friend!” Janey grinned.

            Eugene watched Yoona’s performance and saw how eloquent she was.  Her fingers moved gracefully over the piano keys, and it was obvious that she loved playing the piano.  It brought everyone up to their feet as they gave her a standing ovation after her performance was done.

            “She’s going to be big one day,” Eugene nodded as she focused on the road.

            Janey continued to praise Yoona, “Did you know that she graduated high school at the age of 16?  She plays the piano, guitar, and the flute!  I asked teacher Seohyun and she said that Yoona is an exceptional dancer!  She’s flexible enough to do ballet, she can also dance hip-hop, and I heard that she’s been trying to break dance!  One of her friends is a break dancer, and she’s been under his wing for the past few months.  She’s going to conquer everything!”

            Eugene found herself smiling that Janey finally found a good role model. 

            “Dear, how do you know so much information about Ms. Im when you met her just today?” Eugene asked.

            Janey replied, “Teacher Seohyun told me so much about her because I kept asking her many questions.  Did you also know that many politicians and business moguls know her?  She is well known to many senators, the president, and the mayor.  To add on to that, she’s under the radar of the CEO of Ahn Corporations.”

            Eugene suddenly pressed on the brakes causing Janey to lean forward due to the impact.  Luckily, she had her seatbelt on.  Eugene eyes grew large as she abruptly looked behind her to come face to face with her daughter.

            “Umma!  What if we crashed?” Janey complained.

            Eugene tried to regain her control.  She cleared as she managed to pull off a smile at her daughter.

            “Did you say that she’s liked by the CEO of Ahn Corporations?” she clarified.

            Janey nodded, “Yes, umma.  Ahn Kangta revealed in an interview that he has his eye on Im Yoona.  He shares the common love for animals and he was inspired because she had worked all her life to do well in school.  He claimed his respect over her.  I think he discovered her when she presented her own theory about extending the longitude of the lives of dogs.”

            Her mind began to cook up the ultimate plan as a killer smile formed on her beautiful face. 

            “Umma, what’s wrong?” Janey asked, “What happened?”

            “I like Yoona,” Eugene grinned, “I'll keep an eye on her for now.”

            Janey didn’t know what her mother was talking about, but she already loved the plan.  Displaying the same exact smile as Eugene, Janey flashed a charismatic grin. 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

            Jessica gave an annoyed sigh as she continued to sketch a beautiful drawing on her large sketchpad.  Her friend nudged her as she playfully rolled her eyes.  Jessica finally put down her pencil and the sketchpad.

            “I don’t get why the men’s class even has to come here!” Jessica exclaimed.

            Sooyoung gave a mischievous grin, “We’re lucky!  Some of those guys are handsome and manly.”

            “I never heard of a masculine man loving fashion,” Jessica contradicted.

            “You know what I mean!” Sooyoung stuck her tongue out.

            Jessica shook her head and tried to clean up her work area.  The instructor had just informed them that the men’s class from another sibling school was going to come to observe how the women’s class went.

            “The only reason why I chose to attend this school was because the es were separated.  It kind of loses value that men are going to come.  Why do they even need to come here?” Jessica complained.

            “Oh, stop whining, Sica,” Sooyoung hushed her, “It’s only for a few hours.”

            Jessica stretched her arms out as the door opened.  She gave a lazy smile as a group of men began to enter the room.  Jessica observed every single one of them.  She had concluded that half of them were gay, one-fourth of them didn’t even want to be in the class, and the remaining one-fourth were lost.  Sooyoung made herself very hospitable and shook everyone’s hand.

            The group of men stared at the women sitting in their desks.  Jiyong scanned the room and saw two pretty faces.  He saw Sooyoung, who was Daesung’s girlfriend.  He directly approached her and gave her a warm hug.  Sooyoung then grabbed him by the wrist and led him about fifteen feet away from Jessica.

            “Who’s that?” Jiyong grinned.

            Sooyoung scolded him, “No, don’t look at her with that grin.  In fact, don’t look at her at all.  Don’t speak one word to her.  Don’t even think about her.”

            Jiyong stared at her and waited her to say that she was just kidding.  He glanced over at the woman Sooyoung was talking about.  Sooyoung then pulled him by the collar to stop looking at the woman.

            “I told you not to look at her!” Sooyoung whispered in a hoarse tone.

            “What’s wrong with looking at her?” Jiyong asked.

            Jiyong saw that the woman was extremely beautiful.  Her long, brown hair went past her shoulders.  She seemed to be very focused on her drawing. 

            “She’s y towards people like you,” Sooyoung bluntly stated, “She hates men like you.”

            “Men like me?” he asked.

            Sooyoung nodded, “She hates arrogant playboys.  That is what you are!”

            “My charms will work on her,” Jiyong winked.

            Sooyoung tried stopping Jiyong, but Jiyong forcefully walked towards Jessica.  He sat right in front of her desk as he rested his elbows on the wooden table.  Jessica looked up with an annoyed look.  She grabbed her pencil again and continued to sketch out her design.

            “What do you want?” Jessica asked.

            “I just wanted to have a closer look at you.  You’re extremely beautiful.  You’re like a goddess,” he tried to woo her with his smooth voice.

            Jessica rolled her eyes and then gave Sooyoung a death glare for a split second.  Jessica stopped her work and leaned back on her chair.  She crossed her arms across her chest and scowled.

            “Thanks,” she replied in a serious tone, “I haven’t heard that since this morning.”

            Jiyong’s eyes grew wide to face the fact that there was a woman that didn’t squeal over his pick up line.  Jessica got up and tried to walk away only to be interrupted by Jiyong again. 

            “Get out of my way,” she ordered.

            “Just hear me out!  I came here to see your school because I heard that it was up to date and that it’s great.  My school doesn’t have many materials because a lot of men are discriminated in fashion, but—,” Jiyong was cut off.

            “You stay in your school, and I’ll stay in mine.  I know you want to join this class because of how you were looking at the classroom earlier, but I’ll have to burst your bubble.  Only women are allowed in this school.  Unless you are considered to be a woman, you cannot join this school,” Jessica broke it to him.

            Jiyong gave a sly smirk as he put his hand on Jessica’s shoulder.

            “So you were watching me earlier?  That means you were checking me out,” he pointed out.

            Jessica’s jaw dropped as she brushed his hand off of her shoulder.  She couldn’t believe how much ego this man had!  She poked him in his chest as she began her rant.

            “Believe me; you are the last man I will ever check out!” Jessica made it clear.

            Jiyong was persistent, “So how about a date?”

            “You’re unbelievable!” Jessica shouted, "I will never date a guy like you!"



 

Authors' Notes:

Sunshine94:  Wow, we already had 40+ subscribers before we even posted the first chapter.  Thank you guys.  It really means a lot to the both of us.  We'll try posting the next chapter within a few days.  I hope you guys liked it. ^__^

jessicajessica:  Haha, thank you so much for all the comments and subscriptions!  Like Sarah said, we'll try posting another chapter soon.  Thanks for reading.  <3

We thank you, you, for reading this chapter!  We'll see you in the next update! :D