✎ Issue 6: Masquerade

Scandalicious
✎ Lee Jinki ✎
 
"Onew," my manager calls me. He gives me a sign to approach him so we can have private talk. "There is something I want to talk with you."
 
I glance at the others who are busy discussing about our dance moves. Taemin, the main dancer, is giving the example for Jonghyun. Looks like it's alright for me to leave them for a while.
 
"What is it, Hyung?" I close the door to our dance practice room. "Is it something that you can't talk with the others altogether?"
 
"It's kind of a sudden decision so I think it's better to tell you first," he begins the conversation. "Do you know Masquerade magazine, Onew?"
 
There is no way I don't know about Masquerade. It's one of the biggest magazine publishers in South Korea. They publish articles about politics, lifestyle, hobbies, and more.
 
Masquerade is also well known for having a mysterious journalist under the pen name exLibris. I know all of these not because I have interest with the company but because of what happened in the past.
 
Many artists of SM Entertainment have became the targets of the articles. Even though some are unclarifired rumors, exLibris also wrote about our great achievements, making them one of the most favorite magazines among our fans.
 
I don't hate them. I know it's their job and it's our duty to hold on with our images.
 
"Of course I do. Why?" I tilt my head, wondering why my manager suddenly brings up a topic about it. "Did they publish about something bad again?"
 
"Oh, no. Actually it's the opposite," he takes out an envelope and hands it to me. "Their CEO sent this to us and the board of directors have agreed to give them permission."
 
While I read the request letter, my manager tells me the summary of what Masquerade wants from us. They will send a staff to write about our biography, starting from our debut until this very day. We're allowed to help the writing progress.
 
They said it's a good chance to boost our career since the fans will love to read about our life journey for sure. There is no point of the deal that disadvantages us.
 
"We need to make a quick decision," my manager mutters once I finished with the letter. "If you agree, the journalist will come tonight to discuss about the further points of the deal."
 
I read the paragraph where a name is stated once again.
 
"Our best journalist, Seo Hayeon, will be responsible for this project. We can assure you that she is going to work her best for our collaboration, if we're allowed to."
 
Seo Hayeon.
 
I actually think that exLibris will be the one who asked for this deal but I guess it's impossible.
 
"I think it's good," I put back the letter in the envelope. "Where will we meet her?"
 
 
✂ ✂ ✂
 
 
I arrange my hair fringe with my fingers, trying to make sure that my hair is all good. Meanwhile Minho is busy with his ramen, Jonghyun and Key are watching television, and...
 
...Taemin is spacing out.
 
After we finished our dance practice, I told them that we would have a visit tonight at our apartment. Our manager would pick her from her office.
 
I didn't say much except that we're going to have our own biography book. They looked happy until Key asked who would write it for us. After I mentioned about Masquerade magazine, two persons changed their expressions.
 
The first one is Jonghyun and I can understand it. exLibris is the journalist who spread his pictures with Sekyung. exLibris is also the person who is responsible of posting up their broken relationship issue without any confirmation.
 
Let's just say that he doesn't really prefer Masquerade over other publishers. He doesn't express his denial at all though.
 
The second person is Taemin. His smile vanished when I told them that a girl would come to our place. The others were excited but he just gave us a small smile.
 
I asked him if something was wrong but he said that he's just tired. Does he also dislike Masquerade that much?
 
"It's her!" Key exclaimes when someone knocks our door. He rushes to the door but stops to fix his hair first. "Here we go!"
 
He opens the door, revealing a girl in her black blazer. Our manager stands behind her. Key opens the door wider, welcoming her inside.
 
The girl looks really familiar. Where did I see her before?
 
"Annyeonghaseyo," she bows to us politely. I notice that she has a box of cake with her. "Je iremeun Seo Hayeon imnida. I'm working as a journalist for Masquerade magazine. Mannaseo bangapsseumnida."
 
Key and Minho quickly introduce themselves politely, showing their excitement of meeting a new person. Jonghyun introduces himself and then it comes to Taemin's turn.
 
"You must be Taemin," Hayeon smiles to him. "I hope we can understand each other for our project."
 
Taemin looks awkward for an unknown reason. Is it just me or he looks really weird?
 
She turns to me and bows in ninety degrees, "Let's do our best together for our project."
 
"Hayeon even bought a cake for all of you," my manager laughs. "Isn't it nice?"
 
Hayeon lifts up the box and chuckles, "It's a black forest cake. I don't think it's good for me to come with empty hands so... I hope you like the cake."
 
Black forest.
 
Now I remember where I saw her before.
 
She is the girl I saw with the young boy around a week ago, the one who didn't show any special reaction even though she was facing an idol directly.
 
So she is a journalist at Masquerade.
 
"Hayeon-ssi," Key calls her name when she is busy slicing the cakes for us. "Do you mind if I ask your age? Just in case, you know, we need to..."
 
"I was born on 1991," she answers with a bright smile. "I think I'm just older than..."
 
She stops as her gaze lands on Taemin. He looks back at her without any special expression. It's like they're talking without parting their lips.
 
"Taemin," I break the silence, thinking that maybe she just forgot his name. "Taemin is our maknae. He's born on 1993."
 
Taemin forms a small smile which looks quite suspicious for me, "Ah, yes. She is my Noona then. I should call you Hayeon Noona, right?"
 
She replies calmly, resuming to divide the cake for us, "Geurosseyo."
 
What is this feeling? Do they dislike each other already even before we start to work?

Ah, I hope there will be nothing bad happen.
 
 
__________
 
 
Glossary #6
 
  • Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요)                                        : hello. 'Annyeong' (안녕) comes handy as an expression for 'hi' or 'bye' as well.
  • Je iremeun ... imnida (제 이름은 ... 입니다)                  : my name is ... . A way to introduce yourself.
  • Mannaseo bangapsseumnida (만나서 반갑습니다) : I'm glad (or pleased) to meet you.
  • -Ssi (씨)                                                                                      : the most commonly used honorific used amongst people of approximately
                                                                                                             equal speech level.
  • Maknae (막내)                                                                        : the youngest or baby in the family or group.
  • Geureosseyo (그렇세요)                                                     : yes, please (do so).