✎ Issue 25: Scandal

Scandalicious
✎ Seo Hayeon ✎
 
I opened my eyes slowly since it felt so difficult to do it. It's like I didn't have any strength to do anything at the moment.
 
"Hayeon?" a familiar voice called my name and I could sense anxiety in his tone. "Gwaenchana, Hayeon? Ah, I'll get a glass of water for you. Jamkkamanyo."
 
My fingers felt the cozy bed. I was in someone else's room because I knew it's not my bed. How did I get here?
 
The last thing I remembered was Taemin's dissapointed eyes, when he saw Onew helped wiping my tears away. Minho chased after him and everything was dark after that.
 
Right. I fainted. I felt not good already since the morning due to lack of sleeping. I barely slept because I couldn't even close my eyes without having a single negative thought.
 
When Taemin said he was tired last night, I was scared. I was really afraid that he would give up on our relationship. I didn't want to hear the word from him.
 
There were only three things I fear the most in life. The first was if my family left me forever since I knew how it felt. Second was if I lost my career, the one I had been working for so long.
 
The last one... It's actually frogs. Yes, I hated frogs. The green, scary thing. I hated it so much that I couldn't stand even just to look at it.
 
Though it changed after I met Taemin. I was afraid to lose Taemin. When he asked me to be his girlfriend, I never thought of a break up. All I had in mind was being together.
 
We rarely spent time together. We didn't really see each other like other couples but I was happy to be a part of his life and I didn't want it to change.
 
That's why when he left my apartment, when he didn't answer my call, when he didn't respond to my text messages, when he didn't talk to me, I was so afraid.
 
Was it an end for our relationship?
 
I forced myself to leave the apartment and met SHINee so we could finish the only part that I must submitted to Cho Sunbae later. I had finished everything except the introduction chapters due to my hesitation about Onew's chapter.
 
I thought everything would be better after I finished the draft. I wanted to talk with Onew so I could clear the misunderstanding.
 
My tears just rolled down unexpectedly when Onew told me that he didn't do anything. Taemin should know it, I said to myself. He misunderstood everything and he needed to know...
 
...but why did Taemin need to appear at the wrong time? Onew was trying to console me despite the fact that he had no idea why I cried
 
I never thought things would turn out to be like this.
 
"Hayeon," Onew stepped in the room with a glass of water. He handed it to me with a gentle smile, "It's my room. I didn't know what to do so... Are you feeling better now?"
 
I nodded as I put my lips at the edge of the glass. I took a sip before I started to cry again. For a moment I really hoped that it was Taemin who would be here for me.
 
"H-Hayeon?" Onew stood up and looked around. "Aigoo. Eotteoke? Eotteoke?"
 
He didn't ask me anything. He just let me cried till I stopped, patting my head like what an older brother would do.
 
"Mianhaeyo," he stated sincerely. "Did Taemin say anything? Did he... Does he happen to know your boyfriend?"
 
Yes. He was my boyfriend. How I really wanted to tell him but no word left my mouth.
 
 
✂ ✂ ✂
 
 
"Sillyehamnida," I push open the door slowly, making sure that I don't interrupt anything important. "Cho Sunbaenim..."
 
Cho Sunbae is currently on the phone. She quickly ends the conversation and gives me a sign to take a seat in front of her, "I've received your draft. I've checked it already."
 
I bite my bottom lip nervously, recognizing the serious tone in her words. I've sent the draft to her last night once I returned to my apartment.
 
Onew insisted to walk me back while his groupmates were out. He promised that he won't say a thing to them. Not even Taemin.
 
Even though I was in a mess, I still worked as a professional. I finished all the draft and sent it to Cho Sunbae before I finally slept to regain my strength.
 
Like what I did two nights ago, I tried to call Taemin but he didn't answer. I sent him a text message, asking him not to misunderstand what he saw, but there was no reply.
 
At least I need to take care of my task and settle my problem with Taemin later with a clear, cooler head.
 
"You know you're missing something, don't you?" Cho Sunbae heaves a sigh. "The biography is well written. Really good, if I must say, but that's that. Where is the scandalous part?"
 
I clench my fists and gather my courage to answer her honestly, "Mianhamnida, Cho Sunbaenim. Nan... Nan geugeoseul halssu eoptta."
 
"Mwo?" she frowns in disbelief. She leans forward and taps her fingers on the table, "And the reason is...?"
 
"I'll write another article as an exchange. I promise so...," I stop when I see her expression changes. "Cho Sunbaenim..."
 
"You terminated the contract, Hayeon," she shakes her head, "but I don't want you to leave either. Like I said, you're our best journalist."
 
I feel relieved when I hear her words. Does it mean that I will not lose my job even though I don't fulfill the contract?
 
"You know that I'll do everything I can to keep you here, right?" she stands up and gives her back to me, looking through the window. "Do you?"
 
I nod and retort though I feel confused, "Ne... Arayo, Sunbaenim."
 
She smiles and faces me, "Geureoke saenggak hamnida."
 
"The President of SM Entertainment has agreed to hold a press conference next week. It's a little bit too fast but we need to adjust it with SHINee's schedule so... Do you mind, Hayeon?"
 
I quickly shake my head and grin, "I just need to attend as the representative of Masquerade, right? I'll get ready for the preparation."
 
I excuse myself so I can return to my work. Finally I finish one thing and it ends well...
 
...or at least that's what I think.
 
"Hayeon-ssi! Hayeon-ssi!" Miyu, a co-worker who works for advertising segment at Masquerade, rushes to my room along with some others. "Is it true? Is it true?"
 
"What is true?" I look at them one by one. "I just arrived. What are you talking about?"
 
Miyu pushes me away slightly so she can use my laptop to open the internet browser. She quickly clicks on a new article on our website even before I can read the title.
 
"This one!" Miyu straightens her body. "Is it really you and Onew from SHINee?"
 
My eyes widen in shock when I read the title of the top article. There are thousands of comments and it has been shared at everywhere.
 
A picture of Onew carrying me in his arms. I guess it's taken when I was unconscious, the moment he brought me to his apartment. Unfortunately the angle of the camera made my face clear enough to be seen.
 
My eyes try to find the author name and another imaginary lightning strikes me immediately.
 
"ExLibris is really mysterious!" Miyu blurts out with excitement. "How could she take this picture? Ah, just right when SHINee will have their comeback..."
 
The only one who could do this...

The only one who could use my username to write an online article like this...
 
"Cho Sunbaenim...," I grit my teeth to surpress my anger. "Ige mwoya?!"
 
"Scandal! Is SHINee's Onew dating someone secretly?
 
One week before SHINee has their comeback, Onew was seen carrying a girl. Onew, who has never been in scandal before, is currently attracting netizens with various questions.
 
"IS it his girlfriend?", "Where were they going?", "Is it a photoshop creation?", and more questions keep appearing on net, demanding a clear explanation from the idol himself.
 
Tell us what do you think about this scandalous news. Stay tune for the next update."
 
 
__________
 
 
Glossary #25
 
  • Eotteoke (어떡해)                                                                        : similar to 'what should I do'.
  • Nan geugeoseul hal ssu eoptta (난 그것을 할 수 없다) : I can not do it.
  • Geureoke saenggak hamnida (그렇게 생각 합니다)     : I think so. The formal form for 그런 것 같아요 (refer to Issue 15)
  • Ige mwoya (이게 뭐야)                                                              : what is this?