✎ Issue 27: One

Scandalicious
✎ Lee Jinki ✎
 
"Party time!" I raise my glass and toss it with the others'. "Cheers!"
 
The night has came and the party for our successful press conference has started. Everyone is enjoying the food and drink, chatting with each other, and doing whatever they like during the party.
 
Meanwhile I, and the other members of SHINee, walk around to greet the staff from SM Entertainment, Masquerade, and the other guests who are invited for the private, luxurious party.
 
The President has stated that we should enjoy the party since we have shown a big effort for our comeback. He said that he actually hoped that this party would give us spirit to do even better.
 
"Onew Oppa!" a girl with long brown hair calls me. She bows to me with blushed cheeks, "Huah! I can't believe I'm really talking to you!"
 
I smile politely to her as I try to remember her name. She is one of the staffs from Masquerade. Her name is... "Waeyo, Miyu-ssi?"
 
She gasps in disbelief, obviously excited because I remember her name. She giggles happily, "Aigoo... Oppa ya~ Hayeon-ssi is really lucky that you carried her!"
 
Hayeon.

Right. Where is she? I think I saw her when the President gave the opening speech but she is nowhere to be seen now.
 
I excuse myself from Miyu and make my way to find Hayeon. I haven't talked to her properly since the scandalous news published by exLibris caused the chaos in our lives.
 
We did talk through phone but I think it's a good chance to talk with her in person. Besides I want to know if she knows who this exLibris is. She has been the source of our problem for the second time with this.
 
The first is Jonghyun's break up and now me. I don't really mind it because both my agency and fans shrug the scandal off and give more concern to our comeback.
 
I gave the honest explanation about who Hayeon is for SHINee and the reason why I brought her because she was unconscious. Thankfully people who believe me are the majority compared to those who don't believe in my honest explanation.
 
I am more worried about Hayeon. Is she alright with the scandal? Idols must be prepared with this kind of issue but what about a journalist?
 
More over I don't know if she has managed to settle everything with her boyfriend. SHINee is too busy lately that I can't even call her without disturbing her sleep time, the only time I have free hours.
 
"There is nothing we need to talk about, Cho Sunbaenim," I hear Hayeon's voice coming from the corridor which leads to the restroom. "My decision is final."
 
I carefully sneak closer to the source of the voice, trying to find out what is happening. Hayeon doesn't sound really happy with her tone, "I will resign from Masquerade."
 
"Hayeon, it's just a small, simple scandal!" a woman replies impatiently. "One scandal will not harm your life!"
 
Are they talking about the picture of me and Hayeon?
 
"It's not about that anymore, Sunbaenim. I did terminate the contract because I didn't write about Onew's scandalous issue in the book but that doesn't mean you have the right to use my pen name," Hayeon retorts. "I have enough."
 
What? Scandalous issue? Her pen name? What is she...
 
I return to my senses when I hear footsteps coming closer but Hayeon suddenly stops because of a question.
 
"Are you protecting Onew, Hayeon?" the woman, who I assume is Hayeon's supervisor, asks her. "Could it be... You two are not just friends?"
 
Hayeon scoffs and replies, "Does using exLibris name once make you think you can assume everything, Sunbaenim? You can use that name freely now. Nan sanggwan eobseo."
 
I quickly hide myself so none of them will realize that I've been listening to their conversation. Hayeon walks pass me and so does her supervisor after one or two minutes.
 
"Mwoya? Geureo riga eopsseo...," I cover my mouth, still don't believe what I just heard. "Hayeon is exLibris?"
 
 
✂ ✂ ✂
 
 
Jonghyun is singing side by side with Minho on the stage, dancing to Love Like Oxygen and some of the guests follow the movement, excited with the moves.
 
Unlike the other young girls, Hayeon just stands at her spot, leaning her back against the wall. She holds a glass of wine in her right hand but she doesn't drink it at all.
 
"Onew's scandalous issue...," I murmur to myself. Is that why she kept asking me about something I never told to the others? Is it because she has some kind of deal with her supervisor?
 
On top of all I don't think I misheard about her mentioning exLibris as her pen name. Hayeon is actually the one who worked behind all articles about idols and everything under the mysterious pen name...?
 
I can't believe it but she said it herself. Does it mean she agreed to work with us for her own good?
 
"Kamsahamnida!" Jonghyun bows in ninety degrees to the audience just like what he always does during our live stage. "Let's give the stage to our leader, Onew!"
 
"And our maknae!" Minho calls Taemin to the stage. "Key will join them. Who wants to hear three of them sing altogether?!"
 
The audience clap their hands, chanting about how much they want three of us to collaborate on stage, to perform something for all of us.
 
"Aigoo...," I laugh nervously, speaking to the microphone. "Eotteoke? I'm so nervous that I don't know what song to sing."
 
"How about a slow, sweet song?" Key suggests with excitement. "Find your couple, everyone! Let's enjoy the sweetness tonight with us! Dance with your couple!"
 
Key is full of energy even though five of us are actually really tired. It's always good to have him around because he reminds us to keep cheerful no matter what happen.
 
"Taemin, any idea?" I tap Taemin's shoulder lightly. He doesn't look good since the morning and I know one of the reasons is because he actually needs more rest. As for another reason...
 
I wonder if it's because of Hayeon.
 
Taemin frowns and then gives me a small smile, "Hana will be good."
 
"Then Hana it is," Key grins and walks to the live band which is prepared for tonight's party, asking them to play the instruments for Hana, one of the songs we included in Hello Repackage album.
 
"Achim haessali geudaewa gatayo
Jogeum yuchihagaetjyo Geuraedo nan eerungae joeun geol"
 
The morning sunlight is like you
It might be a little childish, but I like it
 
Everyone is busy looking for their partners while I start the song, smiling at the cute sight. Even our manager joins the dance floor with a staff from Masquerade.
 
"Nareul kkaeweojun geudae yeopae ramyeon
Deo baralgae eopgaetjyo
Eereokhae geudael bogo shipeun geol"
 
If I’m by your side when you wake me up
I have nothing more to wish for
I want to see you
 
Taemin continues the song. My gaze looks for Hayeon who still stands at the exactly same place. She doesn't even move even just for an inch but her eyes are fixed on someone right now.
 
Taemin.
 
"Sarangi eodirago mothal geora saenggakhaji malayo
Nareul deo neutgi jeonae
Na deo keugi jeonae japajul su itjyo?"
 
Don’t think that we can’t love because we’re young
Before it’s too late
Before I grow older, can you hold onto me?
 
Key sings beautifully and the couples are dancing in small steps, following the rhythm of the song. Looks like everyone is so into the song... except Hayeon.
 
"Saranghaeyo geudaemaneul jeo haneulmankeum
Jungmal geudaeneun naega saneun eeyuin geolyo
Geudaereul aju mani geudael michidorok anajugo shipeo
Ajik mani ppareungeojyo geureongeojyo"
 
I love you only, as much as the sky
You truly are the reason I live
I really, really, I want to hug you like crazy
We’re still going too fast, right?
 
After the refrain, Key covers for Minho's rap part. Now I notice that Taemin is also looking at the girl who has an expression as if she wants to say something.
 
"Geunyeoae nooni majuchil ddaemada
Nae eolgoolae bunjineun misoga
Hokshina geudae maeumae hankyeonae daeulkka
Aseurahan neoae maeum geu sokae areumdaoon
Gwitgaye soksakyeo neol saranghaneun naye maeum"
 
Whenever I meet eyes with her
I wonder if the smile that grows on my face might reach a corner of your heart
I whisper into the beautiful ear
Inside of your uncertain heart
My feelings of love for you
 
My heart clenches, noticing how both of them are exchanging words without even saying a word. I tighten my grip of the microphone and sing Jonghyun's part.
 
"I’ll be taking you
Girl, I know without you"
 
Key steps down from the stage and sings his part while asking a girl for a dance. He smiles charmingly, causing the girl to blush like crazy, especially because he is singing for her.
 
"Without you, I miss you
Eonjekkajina geudaereul wonhajyo
Wonhago baraneun mam
Ddo gipeojineun sarang
Deo eesang soomgil su eopseo
Geudaeneun nain girl"
 
Without you, I miss you
I’ll long for you forever
My feelings of desire and hope
My love that grows deep again
I can no longer hide them
You are me, girl
 
I follow Key, stepping down from the stage but I don't have the urge to ask someone for dance. My mind is currently in a mess, wondering for an explanation.
 
"Nae maeumi geudael japgo nochil anjyo
Geudaedo neukkyeojinayo"
 
My heart will catch you and not let you go
Can you feel it as well?
 
Taemin leaves the stage right after me and he walks to Hayeon's place, continuing to cover Key's part since he sings so many lines already.
 
"Nareul, oh, deo neutgi jeonae
Na deo keugi jeonae japajul su itjyo"
 
Before, oh, it’s too late
Before I grow older, can you hold onto me?
 
He reaches out his hand so Hayeon can take it. I can see he flashes her a smile that he never gave to anyone before, not even to our fans.
 
"Ajik geudae maeumi nae gyeotae
Ol su eopneun geol arayo geunde
Geudae hanaman naye hanarago boolleodo dwaenayo"
 
I know that your heart
Cannot come by my side yet
Can I just call you my one?
 
Hayeon puts the glass aside and takes his hand. Her lips turn into a curve as she steps closer to him. I don't know if my sight is deceiving me or not but I think Taemin just kisses her forehead before he rests his chin on her head gently.
 
"Oori gatchi one, two, three, oh ja shijakhaeyo
Geudae naye hanajyo naye jeonbuingeolyo
Geudaereul aju mani geudael michidorok saranghago shipeo
Eejeneun geuraedo dwaejyo geurungeojyo
Geudaereul aju mani geudael michidorok saranghago shipeo
Eejeneun geuraedo dwaejyo geurungeojyo"
 
Let’s all together one, two, three, let’s begin
You are my one, my everything
I really, really, I want to love you like crazy
I can do that now, right?
I really, really, I want to love you like crazy
I can do that now, right?
 
The song has came to an end but I almost crack my voice just now. What is this feeling? It feels even worse than when Hayeon rejected the fact that she is my first love.
 
It's strange. I mean shouldn't I hate Hayeon for tricking me, for trying to mess up my life with scandalous news, for fooling us?
 
Saranghago shipeo.
 
Those words are what I really want to say to Hayeon. The one thing I can't do even though I have almost everything in life.
 
Key lets go of his dance partner and stands at my left. At the same time Taemin also walks away from Hayeon, taking a stand at my right side.
 
Just right after I sing the very last line of the song, I quickly bow to hide my face, afraid that someone will realize my teary eyes.
 
"Eejeneun geuraedo dwaejyo geurungeojyo"
 
I can do that now, right?
 
 
__________
 
 
Glossary #27
 
  • Nan sanggwan eobseo (난 상관 없어)   : I don't care.
  • Geuro riga eopsseo (그러 리가 없어요) : It can't be/it's impossible.
  • Hana (하나)                                                     : One
  • Saranghago sipeo (사랑하고 싶어)        : I want to love (you).
 
 
__________
 
 
Author's Note:
 
I'm so sorry that I keep inserting songs in my stories but, really, this song is really good that I can't help but to imagine Taemin and Onew together in this song.
 
I hope you enjoy the song as much as I do. :)

 

 

 

 

This performance of them is so touching. When Onew wiped his tears and then turned to give a smile (around 2:58 - 3:01), it's the expression I imagine he will put in the end of this chapter.