✎ Issue 12: Curiosity

Scandalicious
✎ Lee Jinki ✎
 
After minutes of waiting, Hayeon finally opens the door and greets me, "Mianhaeyo. I was working on something so... You know, confidential file for Masquerade."
 
"Gwaenchanayo, Hayeon-ssi," I calm her down, telling her that it's completely alright for me to wait since it's late already. "Mianhae for interrupting you this late."
 
"Is there anything I can do to help you?" she asks politely, standing still at the door. "You can call me first before you come next time, you know."
 
It's just a sudden decision. We have no schedule tonight and I feel like going somewhere because I rarely have free time lately.
 
I came across the area and bought a black forest cake at the cafe where I met Hayeon for the first time when she was with her cousin. That's when I realized that her apartment is nearby.
 
We came to pick her once at her apartment two days ago because she needed to go with us for our schedule and I happened to remember the location easily.
 
Giving a wild guess that she was still awake, I went up to her apartment and asked the receptionist for her apartment number. She recognized me as an idol right away so I gave her my signature and I received what I needed right away.
 
She promised that she won't tell anybody why I looked for Hayeon. I clarified it immediately that it's purely professional relationship. I just hope she would take the alibi.
 
"Just a surprise visit?" I laugh awkwardly and show her the cake box. "Care to have a black forest cake at night?"
 
Her face beams and I have a feeling that black forest is indeed her favorite cake. She opens the door wider and lets me to step in, "It will be rude if I ask you to stay outside when you have brought a present."
 
I bow slightly to her and walk pass her. I take off my shoes and follow her to the main room. The apartment is neat and simple. There is a laptop on the table and a glass of drink.
 
"You're working really hard even at night, arent you?" I mutter as I put the cake box on the table. "I thought girls always sleep earlier than boys."
 
"I thought idols don't visit common people at night," she raises her eyebrow, "except if it's for a variety show. You're not recording this by any chance, right?"
 
I can't help myself but to laugh when she looks to her left and right as if she wants to make sure that there is no camera. She is so cute.
 
Wait. What did I just think?
 
"So...," she sits across from me and props her chin on palm, "...you still haven't told me why you gave me the sudden visit, Onew-ssi."
 
I blink upon her way of addressing me. We're two years apart and sometimes I really think that she never sees me as an idol.
 
"Aren't you supposed to call me 'Oppa', Hayeon-ssi?" I choose to say, wondering what her reaction will be. "You're born on 1991, right?"
 
Hayeon straightens her body and looks at me with amusement. She crosses her hands and states, "Onew Oppa?"
 
My heart actually skips a beat when she calls me 'Oppa'. Of course she is not the first girl who called me that but I actually feel happy to hear her calling me as 'Oppa'.
 
"Ani, I don't think 'Oppa' will do," she suddenly laughs. "So it is really a surprise visit. Your fans will be jealous if they know."
 
"More likely your boyfriend will do," I grin sheepishly with guilt feeling. "Will he be mad at me if he knows?"
 
"Maybe," she replies honestly, tilting her head with a smile. "If you're scared that he will be jealous, why did you come then, Onew-ssi?"
 
That's actually a really good question. I didn't really remember about her boyfriend until she called me 'Oppa'.
 
"Curiosity," I answer shortly as I lock my gaze with hers. "Maybe I just want to know you better. I don't break the rules, do I?"
 
Hayeon chuckles and she looks really pretty when she does it.

Hold on. What am I thinking? She is someone's girlfriend, Lee Jinki!
 
"To be honest, Onew-ssi, you are really interesting," she stands up and opens the cake box. "Can I ask why you chose black forest cake?"
 
"Wae?" my eyes widen in surprise. "Juhahamnikka? Do you prefer another cake? Mian, I thought yo-"
 
"Juhayo," she answers right away as she reveals the cake. "Jinjja juhayo, Onew-ssi."
 
There my heart skips another beat because of her.
 
This is wrong. This is so not good. This is bad. Really bad.
 
"About your first love," she suddenly speaks when she slices the cake carefully. "I'll put it in the book. Who knows if we can find the girl. What do you think?"
 
"Eh?" I snap back to my senses and try to resume with the topic. "Oh. First love. Sure. Of course. I'll leave it to you."
 
Hayeon hands the plate of cake to me, "Glad to hear that. Can I keep the rest of the cake in my refrigerator? I think it will be a good companion when I work tomorrow."
 
I smile from ear to ear when I know that she actually likes my present. A part of me keeps telling me that she does it because she is being polite...
 
...but another part of me just reminds myself that my feeling towards her has grown to be more than just common curiosity.
 
And it's not good.
 
 
__________
 
 
Glossary #12
 
  • Juhahamnikka (좋아합니까)  : do you like it?
  • Juhayo (좋아요)                           : I like it. Can simply mean 'alright', 'okay', 'fine', or 'very well'.