✎ Issue 26: Please, Listen to Me

Scandalicious
✎ Lee Taemin ✎
 
I fix my fringe carefully, staring back at my reflection on the mirror. Actually there is nothing I really want to do but to sleep and regain my strength.
 
"Taemin ah," Key taps my shoulder and points his thumb to the door direction. "Are you ready? We need to leave now. Media is waiting for us."
 
"Ne," I nod simply and stand up, following his steps. Minho and Jonghyun also leave the waiting room after Onew gestured them to go out so we can start the press conference.
 
Despite the fact that I am really, really, really tired due to the dance practice, rehearsal, and everything, SHINee needs to attend the press conference for our first biography book, the one where SM Entertainment collaborated with Masquerade.
 
Masquerade worked really fast in one week. The books will be ready to distributed in another week so we must do our best to promote it today.
 
The staffs bow to us politely. Some girls from Masquerade squeal secretly when we give them smile.
 
We head to the five seats which have been prepared for us. Someone has taken her seat already. Her right hand holds a pen while her eyes are fixed on the notebook to write down something.
 
"Annyeong," Minho greets her cheerfully. He turns to the media reporters and bows in ninety degrees, giving them his best attitude. "Annyeonghaseyo."
 
Hayeon quickly stands up and bows to us. Our eyes meet for a second but none of us exchanges smile. She returns to her seat and I take the farthest seat from her.
 
It's awkward. No. It's painful. I never felt this way before when I was with Hayeon. It's sad, to have her right in front of me but I couldn't express my love, but it feels worse to act like this.
 
Both of us are like strangers now and I am the one to be blamed for that. I drew the distance, not her. I made us to stay this way, not her. I avoided her in every single way I could...
 
...but how does it feel to see your girlfriend looked so close with your own Sunbae? To see Onew wiped her tears so casually, something that I thought only I could do. It's irritating.
 
Before Onew could even explain anything, a picture of him carrying Hayeon had spread all around the internet, causing chaos between netizen and our agency just right before our comeback.
 
Our leader stated calmly that there was nothing between them. Hayeon fainted due to lack of sleep and he carried her to our apartment.
 
No one doubted him. As always.
 
That night I was hesitated to call Hayeon since I couldn't come to her place because of the sudden mess. There were two reasons why I wanted to call her. Even until now I till want to ask her in person.
 
First of all, I am really worried. How could she lack of sleep? Is it because of me? Is it because our argument?
 
The second is I have a feeling that something is missing. The one who published the article is exLibris. How come Hayeon is the one who wrote the article when she is the object of the scandalous news?
 
It just doesn't make sense.
 
However I never called her. A part of me keep saying that maybe we need time to be alone right now. We need to clear our head before we talk or we may end up arguing again.
 
"Can I ask a question?" a man raises his hand high. "Seo Hayeon-ssi. You are the one who is responsible for this project, right?"
 
It's currently the question-and-ask session where the reporters may ask questions to us regarding about the biography. I frown and pay attention to the reporter.
 
"Is there a possibility you and Onew met before this project?" the reporter frowns with curiosity. "Is there any chance you two develop more than a professional relationship during the project development?"
 
I clench my fists in anger. This question is out of the topic. He shouldn't ask thing like that.
 
The other reporters start to talk to each other, whispering and assuming what kind of answer Hayeon will give but the girl just keeps silence.
 
Before I can think of anything, Onew has raised his microphone and stares at the reporter with sharp gaze, "We're just good friends. Please do ask questions only about the project. Kamsahamnida."
 
The reporter looks unsatisfied but there is nothing he can do about it. I glance secretly at Hayeon who sits next to Onew.
 
Onew flashes him a smile and she returns it with a weak smile, as if she wants to say thanks without words.
 
My heart clenches in pain as I look at them. Is it because Onew can protect her better than me? Is it because I am really just a kid who can cherish Hayeon like what I always thought I could?
 
What should I do?
 
 
✂ ✂ ✂
 
 
I push open the door but I see no one inside the waiting room. I wonder where they are.
 
The press conference has ended and all of us should return to the waiting room before we continue with our next schedule for the performance rehearsal.
 
Pushing aside the scandal about Onew and Hayeon, thankfully, the fans welcome us warmly. Our anticipated comeback doesn't disappoint them and I'm really glad.
 
Five of us need to adjust ourselves to the busy schedule once again. There is almost no time to think about anything else but practice, practice, and practice to become perfect.
 
Besides it's the only thing that can distract me from Hayeon right now.
 
"Hyung?" I close the door and step inside, looking around. "Ah, where did they go?"
 
"They're in another room," a familiar voice answers all of a sudden. "I asked Onew-ssi to help me so I can use this room for a moment."
 
I turn to the left side and face Hayeon. She is leaning to the wall, giving me a sad but serious look, "Taemin..."
 
"W-What are you doing, Hayeon Noona?" I take a step backward, worried if someone sees us. "We can talk outside if you want t-"
 
I immediately stop when I see her teary eyes. Hayeon bites her bottom lip and takes a deep breath before she mutters, "It's alright if you don't want to look at me... But at least let me talk..."
 
"Jebal."
 
Hayeon never begged me. Not even for once.
 
I just stand there in silence, looking at her. She is shaking as she holds the urge to shed her tears in front of me. It hurts to see her like this.
 
"Noona...," I finally step forward, taking a step closer to her. "Let's talk outside. People will thi-"
 
"Nae mareul jjal deureobwa," she cuts my words impatiently. "There is nothing happened between me and Onew-ssi. Nothing. It's all just misunderstanding, Taemin."
 
"I don't know what's in your mind right now. Maybe you don't want to tell me either but I...," Hayeon stops and stares at the ground. "I will resign from Masquerade."
 
"Eh?!" my eyes widen in shock when I hear her statement. It's impossible. She is really proud with her career so why does she... "W-Waeyo?"
 
Hayeon shakes her head and sighs, "We can't talk here too long. Onew-ssi can't keep the others forever out there. Can we... Can we talk after the party?"
 
The party. She must be talking about the dinner party which will be held tonight to celebrate the successful press conference.
 
Hayeon walks pass me and she is going to open the door when she murmurs vividly, "Nan... ajikneol saranghae."
 
My heart skips a beat upon her honest confession. I don't manage to say anything since she steps out of the room, leaving me with so many thoughts in mind.
 
"Why did you talk as if we're not together anymore, Hayeon?" I grab my hair in frustration. "Lee Taemin... Pabo ya... What kind of man you are to make the woman you love to talk first?!"
 
Hayeon, I never stop loving you either.

How I really want to tell her those words.
 
 
__________
 
 
Glossary #26
 
  • Jebal (제발)                                                                        : please.
  • Nae mareul jjal deureobwa (내 말을 잘 들어봐) : listen to me carefully.
  • Nan ajikneol saranghae (난 아직 널 사랑해)       : I still love you.