✎ Issue 18: Crepes

Scandalicious
✎ Lee Jinki ✎
 
The sun is hiding behind the cloud even though it's still ten in the morning. People are busy with their own activities on Wednesday morning therefore they don't notice an idol is actually wandering around a public park.
 
The park is not too crowded. Probably because students are still at school and adults are in the middle of working hours. I hope I pick the right timing since Hayeon has picked a good place.
 
Based on our deal, I was the one who decided the time while Hayeon picked the place. Since I still have schedule at night for dance practice, she doesn't have a choice but to agree with the morning time.
 
For an unknown reason, I actually picked my best shirt along with my favorite jacket. Using a pair of glasses to disguise myself, I assured myself to be perfect before leaving the apartment.
 
I know exactly that I look like I'm going out for a date with someone special and this surely invited questions from the others but I shrugged their questions just by a simple and playful answer. I told them that I was always great in fashion everyday even if it's just to meet a friend.
 
Yes. I didn't tell them that I'm going to meet Hayeon. I don't think they will let it slide away without any teasing attempt and, yes, I don't need them to tease me.
 
Besides there is something that bothers me about Taemin and Hayeon.
 
"Onew-ssi?"
 
My heart skips a beat upon hearing my stage name. I turn slowly and heave a sigh the moment I realize it's the girl I've been waiting for.
 
"Mianhae," she bows politely, apologizing for coming late because she had something to finish.
 
I don't really listen to her apology. I am amazed by her appearance somehow. She used to wear formal shirts whenever she met us for work. Even when I accidentally met her with her cousin and when I gave her a surprise visit to her apartment, she was wearing a shirt and jeans.
 
Today she looks different. A good different though.
 
Instead of a shirt, she wears a dress and gray cardigan. Her feminine side is completed with a pair of white high heels.
 
I will be lying if I say she is more beautiful than other female idols. There are girls who are more beautiful but I guess the right word to describe Hayeon is cute.
 
Instead of pretty or y, she actually looks cute. I swear her boyfriend is a very lucky guy.
 
"Onew-ssi? Onew-ssi?" she waves her hand in front of my face. "Gwaenchana?"
 
"A-Ah, gwaenchana. Hayeon-ssi, do you mind not calling me by my stage name?" I grin bashfully. "It can attract attention, you know."
 
She gasps slightly and nods, "Right. Stage name. It's your stage name. Jinki. Jinki-ssi."
 
There it goes, my heart beating faster again by the way she mentions my name. It's just so not good.
 
What is wrong with me? I can't fall in love with a girl who is in a relationhip!
 
"You look troubled," she tilts her head and studies my face. "Are you sure that you want to spend your precious free time with a journalist rather than your bed?"
 
"I guess spending time like normal people will be the best," I answer honestly. "It's been a while since the last time I came to a public park like this."
 
Despite the fact that we didn't have a new album for the past year, it didn't change the fact that we're still a really busy idol group.
 
Concert rehearsal, world tour, dance practice, Japanase album promotion, preparation for new album, and individual schedules filled our days and nights.
 
Perhaps  meeting her today is just an excuse for me to go outside... or not. I really don't regret it anyway since I can see the different side from Hayeon.
 
"So...," she looks around before stopping her gaze on me. "Anything you want to share with me for the sake of SHINee's first officialy biography book?"
 
I raise my eyebrow and decide to , "Is the first thing you have in mind always work, Hayeon-ssi?"
 
"Mwoya? Aren't we here for that?" she looks at me with confusion and that's when I realize that something else is different from her today. I'm sure she tries her best to hide it with make up but it's still visible.
 
"Did you cry last night?" I unconsciously reach out my hand to touch her cheek. I just want to take a good look of her swollen eyes. "Waeyo, Hayeon-ssi?"
 
She tosses my hand away with surprised expression. She even takes a step backward as if I just hurt her, "A-Aniyo..."
 
I finally realize that I acted too bold, "M-Mian! I didn't mean to- Aigoo, mianhae, I just..."
 
"Just... Just get to business, will us?" she clears awkwardly, trying to change the topic. "I only have two months until my deadline."
 
Great. I just made everything became awkward.
 
My eyes wander and I grin when I see a creperie, a stall that sells crepes. Maybe I can treat her a crepe as my apology.
 
"What is your favorite flavor?" I turn to her, smiling to lighten up the atmosphere. "Do you prefer chocolate or strawberry?"
 
"Chocolate, I think... Wae?" she asks me back but I just tell her to wait for me while I head to the creperie and order two ice cream crepes for us.
 
However Hayeon doesn't stand still. She walks to me and asks, "Crepe?"
 
"My treat," I make a peace sign with my fingers. "Mianhae, Hayeon-ssi. I didn't mean to surprise you or else. I just..."
 
I'm just worried. I want to tell her that but I think it's not a good idea.
 
"A chocolate banana split ice cream and a vanilla blueberry ice cream!" the waiter announces my order. He tells me the price when I hand the chocolate banana split to Hayeon.
 
"Jamkkammanyo," I murmur as I take out my wallet. "H-Hayeon-ssi! It's my treat!"
 
Hayeon just paid the crepes with her own money. She turns to me and steps away calmly, "Kamsahamnida, Jinki."
 
"Mwo?" I become really confused. Not to mention she just mentioned my name without any formality. I bow to the waiter before rushing to her side, wondering why she thanked me when she is the one who paid for the crepes. "I should be the one who paid."
 
She stops and looks at me, "You really don't need to act like a gentleman in front of me. I don't mind it. Besides I have one person who will act like one all the time already."
 
I don't need to ask who she is talking about. I know perfectly that she is referring to her lucky boyfriend... which strangely makes me feel uneasy.
 
"And...," she starts to eat the ice cream, smiling happily, "...it's been a while since the last time I ate crepes. Therefore I must say 'thanks' to you."
 
Something is really wrong. I can feel my face burns just because of her sincere words. Hayeon, who has no idea at all why my face turns red, just giggles and continues with her ice cream crepe.
 
Don't tell me I actually fall in love with her.
 
I shake my head quickly, snapping myself back to my senses before I ask her as calm as possible, "Since you have treat me for a crepe, I guess I owe you something."
 
"Like I said, you don't need to," Hayeon replies. "Except if you give me some surprising facts about yourself."
 
Right. That's why we meet today. I almost forgot about it.
 
"I insist to," I grin and give her a sign to follow me. "Follow me and I'll tell you one of my secrets."
 
Hayeon stands still, thinking about my offer before finally agrees and starts to walk side by side with me, "Gaja."
 
I can't help but to smile and think whether she will like the place I will show her.
 
 
__________
 
 
Glossary #18
 
  • Gaja (가자) : let's go. The formal one is 'Gapssida' (갑시다).