✎ Issue 5: For You

Scandalicious
✎ Lee Taemin ✎
 
"And the new dance moves are really difficult because it's choreographed by Tony Testa. He worked for Kylie Minogue before!" I explain with excitement. "Jonghyun Hyung also wrote a song for our new mini album and he-"
 
I stop immediately when I notice that Hayeon is not listening to me at all. She is spinning the spaghetti with her fork, propping her chin on palm in silence.
 
We're currently at N Seoul Tower and, thanks to Hayeon's wide network, we can use a VIP room to have a dinner date tonight.
 
It's quite dangerous if someone recognized us together but I'm willing to take the risk. Both of us are. Even though we are on risky positions, I guess we're just too stubborn somehow.
 
No one will enter the room except after we leave the room. Hayeon said that the manager of the restaurant is her cousin and she told him that it's a special dinner with a client for her office.
 
The food is prepared before I came and the waiters will clean them up after I leave; that's the deal Hayeon has with the manager.
 
This is what happens every time we have a date at public place. Lie by lie is told and we live with them.
 
There are times when I felt that I should stop it and tell the world about the truth but she stopped me. She said that it would make me burdened and it's not what she wanted.
 
She said that it's alright to hide behind the shadow as long as both of us lived in peace. No matter how long she must stayed like this, she would go on if both of us believed in each other.
 
However she doesn't look like usual tonight. As if something is bothering her.
 
"Mian," I apologize, putting down my fork. She looks up at me with confused look. "It must be really boring to listen to my story. I'm a pabo..."
 
"Eh?" Hayeon also puts down her fork. "What are you talking about?"
 
I drop my gaze reluctantly, "Because you look so bored... I should be more considerate about you. I'm a failure as boyfriend."
 
She stands up and comes to my side. I look up just to let her pinches my cheeks playfully, "What are you talking about? Who said that I'm bored? Who said that to you?"
 
"Then prove to me that you're alright," I stop her, embracing both of her hands with mine. I pull her right hand closer to my lips so I can kiss it. "I'm worried if you don't smile, Jagiya."
 
Hayeon flinches a little and, even if I don't see her face, I know she is blushing. I smile and finally leave my seat, standing right in front of her.
 
She has a petite figure so her height just reaches my ears. Everyone will not notice that she is actually older than me by two years.
 
"Hayeon...," I whisper as I rest my forehead against hers. I wrap her waist with my arms, "What is bothering you?"
 
"Just work," she answers slowly, clutching my shirt lightly. She leans closer to rest her head on my chest, "Mianhae, for worrying you."
 
"It's my happiness to worry about you," I kiss her forehead. "Tell me anything if you want to. We're going through whatever together."
 
"Ne," Hayeon nods and shows me her sweet smile. "Gomawo, Taemin."
 
Feeling so much better I caress her cheek with my hand and brush my lips against hers, "Only for you."
 
 
✂ ✂ ✂
 
 
Three days after the news about Jonghyun and Shin Sekyung's broke up was aroused, I couldn't hold it anymore. It was sad to see him got scolded by our CEO because of the leaked information.
 
The first one who posted the article was someone who worked under the pen name exLibris. This person was also the one who responsible for the pictures of Jonghyun until our agency had no option but to announce the relationship to public.
 
If only the journalist confirmed it to us first, I would not be this mad. I knew it was a consequence of being an idol that you couldn't run away from the highlight of news and all.
 
It's not me who was in trouble but it still hurt me to see my Sunbae in trouble. I wanted to help him but I felt weak.
 
I was the youngest member in SHINee and I was only nineteen. What could I do for him? What kind of help I could give to my Sunbae?
 
Letting my emotion to get into me, I decided to go to the publisher who started the issue. I went straight to the chief editor in my disguise equipment.
 
"We need to talk," I took my hat off, revealing myself in front of the chief editor after I closed the door. "It's about your mysterious journalist."
 
"Lee Taemin? Taemin from SHINee?" the woman took off her glasses, afraid that her sight just deceived her. "What a surprise to have an idol in my office room."
 
I was going to start ranting but someone entered the room. I turned to see a young woman in black blazer but she didn't say a word. She closed the door and leaned against it.
 
"I don't understand how cruel all of you can be. Is it that great to dance happilly on our lives? Do you feel better if you write whatever you want to?" I blurted out all the words without thinking. "Are our lives the only options you have to live?"
 
They didn't reply me. I clenched my fists tight, "You could ask before published the news. We're idols but we're still ordinary human. I know it's your job but I'm disappointed with exLibris. Whoever he or she is, your journalist is so heartless."
 
Seconds of awkward silence filled the room and I knew I had crossed the line. I slapped myself mentally for speaking the harsh words.
 
"Mianhamnida," I bowed to the chief editor in ninety degrees. "I know I'm not supposed to be angry but I... Jonghyun Hyung is a part of my second family and I want to protect my family."
 
I knew I needed to face the consequence that maybe they would write about another article later, about an idol that didn't behave patiently, blaming the paparazzi for the leaked truth...
 
...but at least I did what I needed to do.
 
"Sillyehamnida," I excused myself and walked to the door. The lady stepped aside and our eyes met for a quick glance.
 
She looked sad but I didn't know if I just assumed things. I didn't even bother to know who she was because I needed to clear my mind first.
 
However the issue never appeared. I was surprised that they didn't bring up the issue of me coming to their office and threw tantrum on them.
 
I got the answer when I received a surprise visit at the night at our apartment. She said that she was a fan and she wondered if I could talk to her in person.
 
The others teased me with the girl who wore all black from head to toe but I couldn't refuse the request. I decided to talk with her for a while in private.
 
After she took off her hat and glasses, I finally realized that she was the girl who heard my conversation with the chief editor.
 
That night she apologized to me.
 
She introduced herself as Seo Hayeon, the one who worked under the pen name exLibris. She said that she didn't have any intention to hurt Jonghyun or anyone else.
 
For a reason, I knew her apology was sincere.
 
That night she also made my heart to flutter because of her smile.
 
 
__________
 
 
Glossary #5
 
  • Gomawo (고​마​워)                      : thank you. The formal one is 'Gamsahamnida' (감​사​합​니​다).
  • Sillyehamnida (실례합니다)  : excuse me. The formal one is 'Sillyehagetssumnida' (실례하겠습니다).