✎ Issue 1: Challenge

Scandalicious
✎ Seo Hayeon ✎
 
"And... done!" I hit the send button on the screen and then clasp my hands together. I look at the watch and realize that I finished it just on time. "I'm a genius!"
 
I quickly shut down my laptop and grab my bag, slinging it on my shoulder. Without wasting another second, I leave my office room and lock it before heading to the elevator.
 
"Hayeon! Seo Hayeon!" a voice calls me right when I am going to enter the elevator. The person grabs my arm to stop me, "Yah! What's your rush?!"
 
I click my tongue but then I put a smile before I turn to face my supervisor with a smile, "Can I help you, Cho Sunbaenim?"
 
"Yes," she replies me, still trying to catch her breath. "Once I saw your e-mail to me about your latest post, I knew you're going to go home so I needed to stop you for the new task."
 
Another new task?
 
"My office. Now," she gives me a sign to follow her without any complaint. "This has something to do with your promotion."
 
The 'promotion' word actually sounds good to me. I follow her to her office room, taking a seat across from her.
 
Cho Sunbae studies my face carefully as if she is trying to figure out what I'm thinking right now. She props her chin on her palm and asks, "What do you think about me promoting you, Hayeon?"
 
"Definitely a good idea," I raise my eyebrow in excitement. Who won't be happy to be promoted after months of hard work?
 
It's been two years since I started working as a journalist for this famous magazine. I had been through up and down as a journalist and I finally found my best place in the office.
 
"No one knows the real identity of exLibris," Cho Sunbae starts to talk. "No one excepts me and our CEO of course. You have worked really hard to hide your identity, Hayeon."
 
I nod randomly, knowing that this is only an intermezzo, to explain about what I have done for the company. I actually enjoy my life with two names anyway.
 
One as Seo Hayeon, an ordinary editor for one of the most popular entertainment magazines in South Korea and one as exLibris, a journalist who is well known for writing articles about idols.
 
I started to live with two identities ever since one year ago after I managed to find out about SHINee's Jonghyun was dating Shin Sekyung. Cho Sunbae recognized my ability and published the article under my chosen pen name.
 
People started to question my real identity and the sales for our magazine increased unexpectedly. That's how everything started. That's how things changed in my life.
 
Including the fact that I hide behind secrets and scandal everyday.
 
"After having some discussion with the CEO, we agree to promote you. No, you're still working under the pen name but we will double your salary," Cho Sunbae finally gets to the main topic.
 
My jaw drops at her offer but I quickly purse my lips when she continues again, "But! If only you can write about something people never wrote before, Hayeon."
 
"As long as it is about idol, I don't think I can't do that," I retort calmly, resting my back against the chair. "Is the offer for real, Sunbaenim?"
 
"I assume that you agree with the offer then," she shifts a document for me to sign. It's a contract and I find my name on the last page. "Sign on the dot line and you know how it works."
 
It is the same when I agreed to work with the pen name. If I can show a great achievement, I will have a faster promotion or salary increment faster than the others. On the contrary, the company can fire me if I don't do my work well.
 
"Deal," I take the pen and sign on the dot line before I stare back at her. "Any article will be easy as long as I know who the target is."
 
Cho Sunbae shows a satisfied smile and she gives me the copy of the contract, "You can read the details there. I'll keep this contract, okay?"
 
I read the contract in a glance and I stop when I see a statement. I even think that my eyes just deceived me.
 
"Seo Hayeon will publish an article about SHINee's Onew."
 
Did I just read SHINee?
 
"You know SHINee's Onew, right? The leader of the most famous idol group out there," Cho Sunbae speaks, intertwining her fingers together. "He is the innocent guy who never has a scandal in his life."
 
I look at her with horror and I have the fear to listen to her continuation.
 
"Can you be the first to reveal his true color?" she finishes her question.
 
My mind goes blank immediately.
 
 
✂ ✂ ✂
 
 
"What is wrong with me?!" I throw my bag on bed and mess my hair with frustration. I blow my bangs, "How could I be so stupid to sign that contract before I read it properly?!"
 
Why SHINee?
 
That's the only question I have in my mind right now. Why isn't it BEAST? Why isn't it Super Junior? Why SHINee?!
 
My concentration goes to my phone when I hear the ringtone. It's the ringtone I set for only one person so it must be him.
 
This time I can't smile when I see "Pabo Dongsaeng" on the screen. I press the accept button and speak with monotone, "You're not supposed to call me at this time, are you?"
 
"I know but I'm on my way there now," he answers with his usual cheerful tone. "What's wrong? You don't sound really good, Noona."
 
It sounds both annoying and cute when he calls me 'Noona' but I can't complain either so I just heave a sigh and sit on my bed as I answer him, "Just thinking about work."
 
"Talk to me later?" he gives me an idea and I finally smile. It's impossible for me to keep straight face when I imagine his innocent smile. "I'm a good listener."
 
"Later. Maybe," I lay down and look at the ceiling. "If only I can write about what I'm thinking right now somewhere..."
 
"Why don't you try writing diary online?" he suggests happily. "A friend told me about a website. Writing down your feeling will make you feel better!"
 
I chuckle and answer him, "I don't think I'm a type of girl who loves to write diary, in case you don't know about it."
 
"I know I love you," he answers simply but I can feel that heat creeps to my face, "and I guess that's enough for me to know."
 
"Yah," I clear my throat nervously and sit up again. How can he be so cheesy all the time? "Well, I guess I'll try later then..."
 
He tells me once again that he is on his way to my apartment and it will take him a while. He wants to have dinner with me tonight but looks like his schedule doesn't allow him to.
 
"But at least I can see you," he mumbles with happiness. "I'll see you soon then, Jagiya."
 
"Ne," I smile and bid him goodbye, telling him to take care.
 
I put my phone on the table and stare at it for seconds, thinking about his suggestion for a moment, "Diary..."
 
Maybe I should give it a try.


__________


Glossary #1

 
  • Sunbae (선배)           : senior. Used to address senior colleagues or mentor figures.
  • -nim (님)                     : a honorific suffix. Used to show respect.
  • Noona (누나)            : a male's older sister. Only used by male to call an older female.
  • Pabo (바보)               : fool. Sometimes used as an affectionate nickname for lovers.
  • Dongsaeng (동생)  : younger sibling. Used for younger acquaintances.
  • Jagiya (자기야)       : darling. Can also mean sweetie or honey.
  • Ne (네)                        : yes.