Their Minds At Work

Remember Me

 

[June 2010]

[Author POV]

After testing their hearts from kissing, they finally break away, gasping for air now. Even if there is happiness in his heart, Daesung still can’t seem to smile for he still finds emptiness. He looks into her eyes, searching for any remembrance.

There was nothing except mixed emotions.

Mi Sun couldn’t believe what she just did, couldn’t believe all the images invading her mind. Those images couldn’t be her and Daesung together. Even if she can’t remember her teenage years, she knows that she’s never met Daesung back then. But is she really sure? Her heart and body is telling her otherwise.

She closes her eyes as he pulls her head to his chest and hugs her. He closes his eyes as well and rests his head on top of hers. He gulps; he doesn’t want to ruin this moment with her, but he has to speak.

“Mi Sun-ah.” He croaks out. She flinches at his voice, hearing the pain etched into it. “Tell me.”

“What?” She squeaks out, feeling déjà vu.

“Tell me you remember me.” He whispers into her hair.

She pulls her head away from his chest and looks at his face. They wince at the same time as they see tears remaining on their faces. “What are you talking about?” She asks.

His heat skips a beat at her tone. “Do you still not remember me?” He asks.

“You’re Kang Daesung.” She says, confused with his question. “Should I remember something?”

His chest ties in knots. This wasn’t the response he wants. Sadness hits him hard in the heart. He shakes his head and reaches up to grab both of her shoulders. “Mi Sun, look at me. Just look at me. Can you not remember me?”

Mi Sun looks at him, blankly. What is he saying? She thought.

Anger and frustration rises in Daesung. Unconsciously, he grips her shoulders tighter, making her flinch. He shakes her. “Why can’t you remember me?” He bursts out. Mi Sun cowers, scared at the sudden change. She doesn’t like this; she doesn’t like this side of him. “Was I that little in your life that you can’t remember me now?” He asks, his voicing cracking at the end.

He stares at her, sobbing endlessly. Her chest tightens, his words cutting her deep. She wants to make him better, but how can she? How can she comfort him when she doesn’t have a clue? She feels useless, worthless all over again.

She reaches her hand up to cup his face. “Daesung…” She whispers.

“Don’t you remember anything?” He sobs just after she says his name. “Don’t you remember all the things that we did here? The laughs, the smiles, the jokes, the hugs, the kisses… Can’t you remember them?”

Mi Sun was left in shock, images of her and Daesung in this place flashing in her mind again. It can’t be… She thought. The memories taking over her mind, her hand drops from Daesung’s face carelessly. Daesung looks at her, only to see her staring at their surroundings with a blank face.

She unconsciously walks out of Daesung’s firm hold and slowly twirls, looking at every single detail of the place. Familiarity fills her up.

“Where did you find this place?” Mi sun’s voice echoes in her mind, like a ghost whispering to her.

“I happened to come across it one day…” Daesung’s voice also bounces in her mind. Then in a whisper, he says, “I found it after I fell in love with you.”

Reality comes back and runs into her mind. She suddenly wanted to faint.

~O~O~

[Mi Sun POV]

What does all this mean?

What really are these things buzzing around my head? Why do they keep bothering me now? Why now of all days? My head starts to pound violently like my heart. I roughly grip my hair, pulling it.

“Mi Sun-ah…” I hear his voice enter my ears.

Is that one real? Is that really Daesung who’s talking right now? I feel someone hold me. “Mi Sun-ah, what’s wrong?”

That broke me.

I shake away his arms, avoiding his pain filled eyes. “What’s wrong?” I screech, making him flinch. “You’re asking me what’s wrong? How should I know? I keep seeing things! I keep seeing you and me together, living happily! But how is that possible, huh?”

I turn my back, looking deep into the woods. I tone down my voice. “Tell me, am I going crazy? Or is this just you trying to play jokes on me?” I wince, feeling sensitive when he touches my shoulder.

“W-what—Mi Sun-ah, look at me.” He murmurs, trying to turn me around to face him. I shake him off, scared to see his eyes, scared to see the eyes that made me feel every single emotion possible. “Mi Sun, I need you to look at me.”

“Why?” I speak. He stops pulling me.

“W-what do you mean why?” He asks.

“Give me a reason why I should look at you. Give me an explanation as to why my mind constantly keep bothering me with images of you and I.”

“Mi Sun…”

I whirl around and finally look at him, fresh tears back in my eyes. “Is that all you can say?” I yell, losing it once again. A sob escapes my throat and I finally speak calmly. “Does that mean you don’t have the answers? I need answers, Daesung. I need to know what’s happening to me. I-I just… I have to leave.” I say with a saddened sigh.

I turn my back on him once again and start walking. But I feel him grip my wrist tightly. “You can’t leave me.” He croaks out.

I shake my head, not looking back at him. “Go back to your fiancé, Daesung. I bet she’s looking for you.”

I feel his hand stiffen as I say the word “fiancé”.  I use the opportunity to pull my hand away and this time, I start running. Running away from what this place has made me feel.

But then my mind asks me, “Running away again? Do you not realize what happened last time?”