Their Shared Heartbeat

Remember Me

 

[June 2010; The Evening]

[Author POV]

“Unnie, you look beautiful.” Jiyoung says in awe, feeling satisfied with her choice of style. Mi Sun smiles at Jiyoung, feeling shy. Mi Sun did feel beautiful, but she couldn’t help but to compare with Jiyoung.

Jiyoung was wearing a short formal dress. The bottom part was black while the top was white with a big ribbon in front of it. She was wearing black peep-toes heels with a matching handbag to compliment it. Her hair was flowing down her back, straight.

She couldn’t help, but to envy her. She looks beautiful in anything. Mi Sun looks at herself in Jiyoung’s full body mirror. Jiyoung picked this dress out for her as well. It was basically all ruffles. It looked so plain, yet so elegant. Mi Sun adores the color as well, a light purple. Her long hair was curled and swept to the side.

Jiyoung extended her arm; her round, big eyes sparkling. “Come on, unnie. I bet we’ll stun everyone tonight.” She giggles as Mi Sun links her arm with hers.

They’re meeting Daesung at the party. Apparently, Jiyoung wants to “wow” Daesung, her words exactly. She said she wanted to look really great tonight. Mi Sun didn’t ask her why since she assumed that because she wants to represent being her father’s daughter well.

Jiyoung and Mi Sun talked in the car until we arrived at the building. Yes, she finds it weird to be celebrating a high-class party at their own company building. But she went with the flow anyway.

Jiyoung unconsciously grips Mi Sun’s arm tightly. “What’s the matter?” Mi Sun asks. “Are you nervous?” Jiyoung nods. Mi Sun flashes her an assuring smile. “Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“You don’t know the real thing yet.” Jiyoung mumbles.

“What was that?” Mi Sun asks.

“Oh, nothing.” Jiyoung smiles. “Look! I see Daesung oppa already! Let’s go!”

Mi Sun hesitates as first, taking in Daesung’s look. She’s already seen him in a suit before, but he just seems to glow tonight. Mi Sun sees him smile, making her knees go weak. With the support of Jiyoung, they walk straight towards Daesung, who was talking to Mr. Kang.

“Appa! Oppa!” Jiyoung exclaims, smiling.

Daesung turns his head, only expecting Jiyoung to be there. But his eyes widened at the sight of an angel. He gapes at her up and down, from her flawless legs to her shy brown eyes. He looks at her face whole. A light blush remains on her cheeks while a sweet smile grazes her lips, making her eyes smile on its own.

Jiyoung suddenly hugs Daesung, making him snap back to earth. “Are you ready, oppa?” Jiyoung whispers in Daesung’s ear. He mentally shudders as her breath hitting his ear. He nods slightly, nervously.

Jiyoung pulls away from him. “Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll do great!”

On the other hand, Mi Sun stands awkwardly to the side. She catches Mr. Kang’s eyes and she quickly bows. He smiles a little in return then he turns his attention to another man.

Then Mi Sun was back to being alone. Jiyoung and Daesung are already out of sight, so all she could do now was stand by in the corner. Someone clears his throat next to her. She jumps and rests her hand on her chest.

“You scared me, Daesung.” She breathes out. He hands her a glass of champagne, taking a sip out of his own.

He chuckles, finding her really cute right now. “Why are you here? Why aren’t you mingling?”

She rubs her neck. “I’m not the type to mingle, especially with the suits.”

“The suits?” Daesung raises an eyebrow.

“That’s what I call businessmen.” Mi Sun chuckles lightly. After a moment of awkward silence, Mi Sun clears . “Why are you still here? Shouldn’t you be mingling with other people?”

Daesung laughs. “I think I’d rather spend my night with you.”

Mi Sun looks away from his gaze, sighing. He’s doing it again. He’s always making her want to give in, to give in to her feelings for him. Daesung, on the other hand, sighs as well. She seems stiff tonight, He thought. I’ll do my best to make her relax tonight before I have to face the most nervous moment of my life.

~O~O~

“Daesung oppa!” Jiyoung shouts, skipping towards Daesung and Mi Sun on the sidelines. She grabs his arm. “It’s time.” She whispers.

A pang of fear went through him in that instant. Yes, he was nervous as hell. But he didn’t have a choice but to do it. He wasn’t sure what he wanted right now, and he still doesn’t know. He’s been debating over himself the whole night. Now that the final event is coming, he’s coming up blank.

Jiyoung leads him the way to the stage. Jiyoung’s parents and his parents already up on it. Jiyoung links her arm with his as they walk up the stage in a calmly manner. He gulps as all the lights were directed on him.

“Everyone,” Mr. Kang begins. “As you all know, tonight is a big night. Tonight, this is where a new beginning happens. I’d like to announce that this man right here, Kang Daesung, is now the heir to this company. He has been working hard and he’s met the standards of becoming owner. In fact, he’s surpassed the standards! Please welcome your new CEO, Kang Daesung-shi.”

A series of clapping was echoing throughout the whole building. Daesung shakes hands with Mr. Kang and bows. He stands front and center and smiles at all the cameras. To an outsider, they would think Daesung was completely confident. Nervous wouldn’t even be thought. And that’s exactly what Mi Sun was thinking.

She watches him in awe, admiring the aura flowing out of him. She’s proud. Even if she hasn’t seen Daesung work for so long, she still feels proud. She knows he’s been working so hard for this moment. She watches him take the microphone. He clears his throat, feeling his heart pound wildly against his chest.

“I have one more announcement to make.” Daesung says, his voice husky. He pulls Jiyoung out and places her right in the center of the stage. Mi Sun watches the two curiously, silently. Her eyes widen as she sees him get down on one knee, pulling something out of his pocket. Her heart seems to slow down.

She watches them with now pained eyes. Please, She pleads silently. Please, don’t do what I think you’re going to do…

“Kang Jiyoung,” Daesung starts. “We’ve been together for two years now and they were nothing, but happiness. Just like you said last time, it is two years and counting.” Daesung says, weakly smiling at a beaming Jiyoung. “Will you marry me?”

“Yes! Of course!” Jiyoung exclaims, taking the ring and kissing Daesung full on the lips, earning applause from the crowds. But there was one person… one person who just couldn’t move at all. She stares blankly at the kissing couple up on stage as her heartbeat hammers against her chest, making her whole body shake insanely.

With numb fingers, she drops the glass of champagne. She flinches as the sound of glass shattering echoes in her ear, believing that it what the sound of her heart shattering instead.

-----------------------------------------------

A/N: Gah, so angsty, don't you think? I'd like to know what you are thinking, so care to comment? Anyway, it's Sunday night. I have to survive another week of school >.< I promise, I will be back on Friday once again! 

Oh, and if you're wondering what Jiyoung and Mi Sun's dresses look like, here's the link:

Jiyoung: http://i47.tinypic.com/259adrd.jpg

Mi Sun: http://www.cutiecode.com/images/clothing/tokyo/dresses/tokyo10069/1.jpg