Heartbeat

Happily Never After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Previously…

The spiritual you fell on the ground as hyungseok suddenly appeared out of nowhere and the machine showing your heartbeat started beeping out of pattern and the heartbeat got faster.

===================================================

Chanyeol’s eyes widened from shock and he just stood there, stunned, not being able to do anything; in fact, he couldn’t even move.

Nurses rushed inside the room and pushed him out of the way. Then another nurse came and took Chanyeol out of the room immediately.

Chanyeol couldn’t talk from all the shock. He just stood there looking at you through the window as the doctor tried to adjust some of the machines.

Suddenly the machine showing the heartbeat started giving a long beep instead of the ones with pauses in between and the screen started showing a straight line instead of the wavy ones indicating that your heart had stopped.

“Quickly, get ready for defibrillation! Set it on 160.” The doctor said, ready to give you a shock.

One of the nurses came and covered the window with the curtain, preventing anyone from seeing what’s going on inside.

Chanyeol fell to his knees as soon as he saw the straight line on the machine.

“N-no…” he said as his heart started racing and he started feeling weird in the pit of his stomach.

“…” he couldn’t talk or cry or scream. He was so shocked that he just sat on the floor in the middle of the hospital corridor.

The nurses quickly removed the upper part of your hospital attire, preparing you for defibrillation.

The doctor gave you shocks about 5 times but still, no response from your heart.

“One last time… on 230” the doctor said and the nurse prepared the defibrillator.

The doctor placed the defibrillator against your chest for one last time and gave you a shock, causing your body to jump again. Almost immediately, the machine started beeping again, indicating that your heart was back at work.

The doctor then put you under strict supervision. After checking your conditions for a dozen times, he finally exited the room.

As soon as Chanyeol saw the doctor, he stood up and ran toward him.

“D-doctor, please tell me she’s alright…” Chanyeol gulped.

“She was really lucky... We were about to lose her; but now, she’s fine… don’t worry,” the doctor gave Chanyeol a pat on the shoulder and left.

Chanyeol just stood there, stuffing the information into his brain.

Mi Young’s ok… she’s ok… calm down. he thought and took deep breaths.

That same second, Luhan came out of your room.

“Hi Chanyeol… can you please inform Mi Young’s brother about what happened?” Luhan asked, holding a metal booklet in his hand.

“Um… can you ask someone else? They don’t know I’m here...” Chanyeol bit his lips.

“Sure thing,” Luhan gave him a smile and left with a bow.

---Meanwhile

“Am I dead?” you asked as soon as you opened your eyes.

“I’m sorry but… yeah…” Hyunseok sighed and put a hand on your shoulder.

“W-what?!” you asked, not being able to breathe.

“April fools doesn’t it?” he asked with a sweet smile.

After staring at him for a while, you gave him a tight hug, causing him to hug you back.

“By the way, Chanyeol was practically having a heart attack when he saw your heart stop,” he said after pulling away.

“I hate myself for making him feel like this…” you said.

Hyungseok then took your hand and the next thing you knew, you were in the corridor where Chanyeol was leaning against the wall.

“Look at him… he loves you so much…” Hyungseok said with a smile.

“How do you know?” you asked.

“It’s so obvious! Look at him! He’s been in the hospital for almost 4 hours now just to see you…” Hyungseok said.

“It’s just… him,” you said, and hung your head low.

“How about you, do you love him?” he asked with a cheeky smile.

“M-me? I… I don’t know…” you avoided eye contact.

“From the way you’re talking, it seems like you do,” Hyunseok chuckled.

“The heck is wrong with you? I have a boyfriend! That’s not the kind of question to ask your bigger sister,” you smacked his head.

“Ouch,” he said, massaging the area you smacked.

-------------------------------

­2 months have already passed and summer has started; yet, you’re still in coma with no positive sign from your body; in fact, by every passing day, your physical conditions become worse.

Jinyoung would visit you once every 3 days, but the only person who would visit you every single day was Chanyeol. He would often come by, tell you about his day, sing you a lullaby and leave.

Jinyoung on the other hand seemed to be giving up on you. Your friends would often find him drunk at a bar, or sitting by the bridge, staring at the Han River.

Today, he went to the Han River again and sat on a bench, a sigh escaping his lips.

“Life is ty…” he whispered and dug his hands in his hoodie pockets. He then felt something in his pocket and pulled it out.

It was the pictures you took at the photo booth in Lotte World.

He looked at each of the pictures carefully. In 2 of them you were both smiling while in the 3rd and 4th one, you were both making silly, derpy faces.

Instead of laughing at the faces, he just sat there staring at your picture, brushing his finger against it.

That was when his little heart shattered into pieces. He had been through enough. That was when the tears started their path down his cheeks silently. It was the first time he had started crying.

“Damn you Mi Young… damn you…” he said and covered his face with his hands.

Then suddenly all your memories started flashing in his brain like a black and white film.

All from your first kiss till the last time he saw you conscious and your last hug.

“This was why she didn’t want me to go to the photo booth with her… THIS IS WHY SHE NEVER TOLD ME THAT SHE LOVED ME,” Jinyoung shouted the last part and stood up, brushing his fingers through his hair.

“She may have not said it, but she obviously proved it to you…” Jinyoung turned his head to see Chanyeol leaning on the handle of the bride, staring down at the river.

“W-what are you doing here?” asked Jinyoung.

“Well that’s what I'm supposed to be asking you… I always come here,” replied Chanyeol.

Jinyoung just sighed and leaned against the handle next to Chanyeol.

“So… I see you were crying,” said Chanyeol.

Jinyoung didn’t say anything.

“Mi Young?” Chanyeol asked, facing Jinyoung.

Jinyoung just nodded his head.

“And you don’t even feel ashamed?” Chanyeol asked.

“What are you talking about?” Jinyoung asked, looking at Chanyeol in the eyes.

“So now you don’t know what I'm talking about? One night you go clubbing, making out with a random girl and then you come here, crying for your girlfriend!?” Chanyeol shouted, his veins popping out.

“I was drunk for God’s sake. And don’t just judge me! You were at the club as well,” Jinyoung said.

“Come on Jinyoung, I’m different… I don’t have girlfriend to look after; but if I had one, I would surely never do such a horrible thing to her,” Chanyeol stated.

“I do love her-” “Oh shut up!” Chanyeol almost shouted, cutting Jinyoung off.

“If you wanna go to a bar every night, get dunk and god knows what after that, please don’t come here and shed those fake tears for Mi Young!” Chanyeol started yelling.

Jinyoung just stayed quiet. What could he say after all?

“SAY SOMETHING!” Chanyeol shouted and grabbed Jinyoung by the collar of his shirt.

“I’m s-sorry…” Jinyoung avoided eye contact as a tear slid down his cheek.

“You being sorry doesn’t change anything Jinyoung,” Chanyeol shook his head, still holding onto Jinyoung’s collar.

“At least do this without shedding those ing fake tears for Mi Young! STOP BEING SUCH AN !” Chanyeol said and gave Jinyoung a punch in the face, causing him to fall back. Almost immediately, his nose started bleeding.

“This was for the time I didn’t punch you cuz I thought you were human,” Chanyeol said while Jinyoung stood back up.

That’s when Jinyoung’s face met with Chanyeol’s curled fist another time.

“And this one was for those fake tears… I seriously can’t believe that you gave up on Mi Young already…” Chanyeol said and walked away.

-----

THE NEXT MORNING

Luhan came into your room and checked your conditions for the day.

“Why do I feel so tired?” you asked Hyungseok.

“It’s because of your conditions; your soul is preparing to go back.” Hyungseok explained.

“What is that suppose to mean?” you asked as your attention was fixated on Luhan which was changing the bandage on your head.

“You’re gonna wake up soon,” Hyungseok said with a smile.

He then pulled you into a tight hug.

“I’ll miss you,” he whispered.

“Me too, Seokkie…” you said and pulled away.

“But I’ll see you soon,” he said with a smile and disappeared.

That’s when your eyes suddenly closed and you fell onto the ground.

----

“Today was weird… I got into a fight with Jinyoung,” Chanyeol said.

“I punched him…” he added, holding your hand in his.

“I’m sorry… I just had to do it, he’ll be fine in a week.” Chanyeol said.

You could hear him talk, but you couldn’t see him.

All your body was hurting and you couldn’t even move.

All you knew was that you were lying down and listening to Chanyeol, which was te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter