Unraveled

To Covet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mi Kyong’s POV

I get there about 30 minutes early. I sit at a table near a window and drink my coffee, wondering what I would say to him when he arrived. High on caffeine and anxiety, my hands were a trembling mess. Look at you Athena, reduced to the weak pathetic girl from just a boy. I think to myself and wipe my hands on my skirt for the umpteenth time.

Will he come? Will he come? Will he come? The doubt whispers to me again and again. I take a deep breath and close my eyes, soaking the rays of sunshine. Does my hair look okay? Oh God, where is he? I ask myself, looking down at my watch again. Only five minutes had passed, he wasn’t due for another 25 minutes.

I’m drowned in a sea of insecurities and doubts as I tap my fingers on the table. 10 minutes passed and I’d finished my coffee. I wave the waiter over and ask for a refill. Another 5 minutes, my mug is dry again. Waiter, I need a refill. 5 minutes later and I need another refill. The waiter asks me if I’m okay and advises me to slow down on the coffee. I switch to tea instead.

Now I have too much caffeine in my system. I feel the overwhelming urge to pee but I’m sure that’s just the anxiety and adrenaline kicking in. Having three cups of coffee in my system wasn’t going to help either. I look at my watch and see that there are three minutes before Jonghyun is due to arrive. I could make it to the bathroom and back in time right?

Jonghyun’s POV

I stand outside the café door for 10 minutes. Is she here already? Did she come? I wonder if she hurts like me. I ask myself these questions, debating with myself on whether to enter the door or not. I will my feet to move forwards but another part of my mind keeps me frozen there in place. I stare at my watch. Waiting. Wondering. Hurting.

The time comes and I take a deep breath. I couldn’t put this off any longer. I walk slowly into the café hearing the bells chiming after me. I see a group of girls chatting away sipping their mocha lattes or Frappuccinos or whatever the “hip” drink is these days. A young couple cuddles in the corner and I’m reminded of some of my better days in a youthful love that I’ve failed to rekindle.

I scan the coffee shop for Mi Kyong to no avail. I see an empty table with a half-finished cup of tea but I see no signs of Mi Kyong. My chest deflates in dejection as I face the harsh reality that she didn’t want to see me today. Stupid stupid stupid. I curse myself, why would she want to see you when she’s already getting married to another man?

I turn around to head out the door but just as I push the door open, I hear a high voice call my name. I turn around to see Mi Kyong standing there, slightly frazzled and I raise an eyebrow. She gestures over to the table with the half-finished tea and I realize that she most likely stepped out for a moment to go to the bathroom or something. I berate myself mentally for being so overdramatic. Just relax, its two adults meeting to have a coffee. I think to myself, given, two adults that were once very passionately in love, but two adults nonetheless.

“I’m going to get some coffee.” I say, walking towards the large overhead me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter