Overcoming Challenges

To Covet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hey guys, sorry this chapter is so short, I promise I will have a longer one up soon. I just need this chapter as a transition. You'll see why :)

 

Mi Kyong’s POV

I look quickly towards the exit. Sure, I could just walk out of here and it would all be over but something about that smirk on Krystal’s face made me do otherwise. I start walking up to the podium and the crowd is so silent you could legitimately hear a pin drop.

“You don’t have to do this.” Amber whispers to me quietly, tugging on my wrist and I shake my head at her and she lets go reluctantly.

“Thank you Krystal.” I say getting up to the podium, and Krystal moves aside.

“Good luck.” Krystal sneers at me and I use all my self-control to stop me from punching her right then and there.

“Welcome honored alumni, staff and current students to the annual alumni breakfast!” I start with a smile and I see a few encouraging smiles but mostly frowns of disapproval. I take a deep breath and begin my very impromptu speech. “As you all know now, my name is Athena, although I guess we haven’t met on the best of circumstances.” I say and I hear a few chuckles.

“Psh, she won’t have anyone hire her for sure.” I hear Krystal whisper to her friend a few meters away from me and I set my jaw in determination.

“Look, I’ll be blunt with you. A few months ago, that was me and I’m not proud of it. It is especially painful for me to have to talk about my personal relationships with a crowd like this but I guess if I can do such a thing as that, I should have to be able to talk about it.” I say and take another breath.

“Before I came to this school, I was totally lost. Sure, I did well in school and sure I had good friends but what I wanted was all the wrong things. To covet, to desire what belongs to another. Let’s be honest here, haven’t we all wanted something that belongs to someone else? Whether it is power, a possession, a person or a relationship, we’ve all done it. We have all coveted something that belongs to someone else.” I say, garnering more attention and a few more nods. I relax a little bit seeing that I was getting more support.

“So there I was, losing direction completely and coveting things I shouldn’t have, this led to the inexcusable actions you have seen above and like I said, I’m not proud of it. I was buried deep in shame when I got to this school. I was ready for a fresh start and thanks to BoA sunbaenim, I was able to receive this fresh start.” I say acknowledging her and BoA nods to me in support.

“When I got to this school though, I was a changed person. I reminded myself that it was okay not to be perfect. In that time, I really wanted to disappear but in reality, what I wanted more than anything else was to be found.” I say and I s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter