So Goodbye

To Covet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is new for me (sort of) there will be an author's note/commentary at the end of this chapter to let you know what may be coming up in the next chapter! I'll also start adding previously because it may be bothersome to have to skim through the last chapter if I don't update often enough! So enjoy the chapter!

Previously...

 

“Yeah, sure, whatever. Where is Taemin?” I ask.

“He’s waiting for us by the car, let’s go then I guess.” Mi Cha says.

"Let's go see him, I miss my BOYFRIEND." I say, emphasizing the word boyfriend and Jonghyun flinches.

"Yeah let's go." Jonghyun says, hooking arms with his GIRLFRIEND and scowling.

"Mi Kyong!" Taemin cries when he sees me and envelopes me in a hug. Taemin to me feels like home, seeing him really makes me feel like I've come home from my trip. We get into the car and it ends up with Jonghyun and I sitting in the back two seats.

"What happens in Toronto, stays in Toronto." I whisper to him.

"Okay, whatever." Jonghyun says tiredly, not looking at me. I refuse to look at him either and just stare out the window at the foggy highway road that seemed to reflect my mood. Did I do the right thing in pushing Jonghyun away? I know that he'll be happier with Mi Cha anyways. I shook that out of my head, I'll have to learn to deal with it since I won't be going to New York next year. I haven't told anyone yet, but I'm not going. Daddy will be so disappointed in me. I made the correct choice, right?

Mi Kyong's POV

 

“So Mi Kyong, did you make your decision at all?” Taeyeon asks me the day I get back and they’re catching me up on missed homework.

“On what?” I ask her, putting a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth.

“You know, the scholarship? I mean, the confirmation is supposed to be due soon right?” Victoria asks me with her eyebrows raised.

“Oh that. Yeah it’s not due until next week. Besides, doesn’t matter, I’m not going.” I say.

“What!?!?!” Taeyeon and Victoria blurt out at the same time and they explode into a giant rage of arguments.

“What do you mean you’re not going? This is a great opportunity! Why wouldn’t you go? I’m sure you haven’t made up your mind yet! I mean you must be crazy! Don’t worry about us, go achieve your dreams!” Both attack me at the same time.

“Is this about Jonghyun?” Taeyeon asks me. Ouch. Right in the friendship.

“No.” I say unconvincingly.

“Come on! Don’t lie.” Victoria says.

“No, it’s about Taemin.” I say, sounding sure of myself.

“I’m sure Taemin won’t mind.” Taeyeon says.

“Heck, knowing Taemin, he’d probably go with you!” Victoria adds.

“Whatever, I don’t want to talk about it, can we just drop it okay?” I say and they both nod silently before shooting each other a knowing look. After the study date, I go home and lie in my bed. Was I making the right decision? I mean, wouldn’t it make more sense to get away from Jonghyun? I ask myself that. You’re still hoping that he loves you. A small part of me says. SHUT UP! I yell at myself in my head. Great, you can add that to my list of admirable qualities. I argue with myself now too! Just wonderful.

“Mi Kyong! Wake up!” Mi Cha shakes me, waking me up.

“Whaa?” I ask, rubbing my eyes sleepily.

“You’re going to be late!” Mi Cha yells at me and I see she’s already dressed. I look down and see I’m still fully clothed. I must have just fallen asleep on my bed yesterday, oh that’s awkward. “Come on hurry up!” Mi Cha says. I jump out of bed and strip as fast as I can, putting on fresh clothes. I quickly brush my teeth and was my face at the same time. I comb through my hair once and put it up into a messy bun. I grab an apple and hear Mi Cha honking the horn of our car.

“I’m coming!” I grumble loudly to her.

“Bye Mi Kyong!” My dad calls to me before I leave. “Remember, you have to let BoA-sshi know by next week!”

“Ne, kamsahamnida! Annyong!” I call to my dad before getting into Mi Cha’s car. I haven’t even gotten my seatbelt on yet and she floors it.

“Mi Cha! Relax! Don’t we always get to school early anyways?” I say to her.

“Check the time babo.” She says through clenched teeth, her fingers clenching the steering wheel tightly as she weaves in and out of cars. I look at the time and see that it’s 8 minutes before class starts. Crap, it’s normally a 15 minute drive.

“Damn it. Does the car go any faster?” I ask Mi Cha.

“I’m giving it all I got.” She says. She zooms through another red light, well, we normally try to follow the traffic rules, but come on, this is Korea! Seriously, here, red lights aren’t really a rule, more like just a suggestion. You literally have to look both ways before crossing, on a one way street. No kidding.

“Go go go!” I yell when the car in front of us turns and we see a clearing for us to squeeze through. Mi Cha’s foot never leaves the gas and we pull into the first spot we find (which, since we’re late, is really far away). We grab out bags and run like the wind into the school as fast as we can and we make it just as the bell rings. My teacher tsks as we sit down.

“You sure got lucky girls.” She says. Mi Cha and I exchange a glance and start giggling.I was impressed, Mi Cha has some seriously amazing driving skills. I get out my chemistry book and start taking notes.

“Hey Mi Kyong! Onew was wondering if you wanted to go to a club with us for our birthday to celebrate?” Mi Cha asks me after class as I’m packing up my books.

“Since when were you and Onew so close?” I mumble and Mi Cha blushes.

“Well, while you and Jonghyun were gone, I really got to know him, that chicken-loving cutie.” Mi Cha says and I raise an eyebrow as she facepalms realizing what she said.

“Alright, I’m going to leave before you start fangirling over his Onew condition.” I say.

“Hey! I have a boyfriend you know.” Mi Cha says, but she doesn’t look very sure.

“Uh huh, and you better remember that. Speaking of which, here he comes now.” I say, walking away as Jonghyun approaches us. Mi Cha hugs him and I see Jonghyun looking at me with an expression on his face I couldn’t decipher. I look away.

“Mi Kyong!” Taeyeon calls me and drags me over.

“Oh hey there. Excuse me for a second.” I say to her and see Taemin at the end of the hallway, I run up to him and wrap my arms around his waist.

“Whaa-?” Taemin says, trying to see who hugged him. He turns around and sees me and plants a kiss on my cheek. “Mi Kyong!” He cries happily and he holds out his hand for me to take, I grab it we swing our arms as we walk down the hall.

“Are you two lovebirds coming to lunch? Because the cafeteria is this way.” Taeyeon calls in our direction. Derp. Taemin and I facepalm and start walking in the opposite direction.

“So. What’s this I hear about you not going to pursue your dreams?” Taemin asks causally.

“I don’t want to leave Korea, it’s where you, Taeyeon, Vicky and my family are.” I say, pouting and Taemin stops walking and turns to look at me.

“Mi Kyong! A few months ago, you would’ve been jumping at this opportunity! Why aren’t you taking this chance?” Taemin asks me seriously.

“I don’t know. I just, I don’t think I can go. It’s such a huge risk too you know?” I say.

“Alright, I’ll support you in whatever you do, I just think you might be wasting your talent not going.” Taemin says, giving up for now but I knew he was definitely going to bring it up again later. “By the way, nice necklace, who gave it to you?” Taemin asks sounding slightly jealous and I blush.

“Oh this? I bought it for myself at the airport.” I lie, referring to the necklace Jonghyun gave me.

“It’s pretty.” Taemin says and then frowns. “I was going to buy you a necklace that you could wear and always remember me by.”

“It’s okay Taemin, I’ll remember you always, no matter what.” I say kissing his cheek, feeling guilty for lying to him. What I felt for Taemin was different than what I felt for Jonghyun. Taemin, he was the perfect guy, he was sweet and funny, he could always make my day. He was an amazing dancer and he was super good looking as well. Like I said, he was my perfect other half, our love is stable, pure and sweet but with Jonghyun, I feel this intesne connection. Whenever we touch, a million sparks fly and the world spins whenever we kiss.  

A choice I have to make. One choice, that's it. But it's not. You can't choose who you love. He is taken, by my twin sister but he says he loves me. He is perfect to me, sweet, caring and is selfless enough to help me mend my broken heart. One is my soul mate and the other is my perfect other half. Once upon a time, I loved him and he made me happy beyond imagination. Once upon a time. But now, it seems the roles have reversed.

He left me, all alone, by myself. He stayed and healed my broken heart. He was my first love. While he is my ideal man. Now he just makes everything more complicated and I can’t be sure of what he feels, does he feel the spark? He has passion, a passion we share and nothing in the world could replace that. While he has perfection, when we are together it feels so right, so meant to be. I chose him and he loved me back. Whereas he chose me, but I love him back. This battle between passion and perfection is tearing me from inside out. But I know whom I'll choose. I love them both. But I love him more. I love him in a way I'll never love anyone else. But they aren’t the only two in the picture. The one I love is...

“So Mi Kyong, what do you think?” Taeyeon asks, shaking me from my thoughts.

“Sure?” I say, hoping that was the right answer, Taemin looks at me in shock.

“It’s set. We’re going clubbing!” Victoria says and I gape.

“Wait, is that what I agreed to?” I ask.

“Weren’t you paying attention? Earth to space cadet?” Taeyeon asks waving a hand infront of my face and Taemin chuckles.

“Right. You planned this with Mi Cha, didn’t you?” I ask, shaking my head and pushing her hand away.

“Yup.” Taeyeon says grinning.

“Yeah, she wants to go because Key is going.” Vicky says and Taeyeon turns beet red.

“Shut up Vic!” Taeyeon says, elbowing her but we all grin at her. “And you mister.” Taeyeon says narrowing her eyes at Taemin, raising her chopsticks as a weapon.

“Don’t worry, I won’t say a word.” Taemin says, holding his hands up in surrender while winking at me. Taeyeon satisfied with his answer, lowers the chopsticks from attack position and continues eating her stir fried noodles.

“So it’s set then? This weekend, be there or be square.” Vic says and we all stare at her.

“What?” I ask.

“No idea. Roll like a buffalo I guess.” Vic says shrugging, going back to eating her food.

“Oh okay. Cool.” I say confused but eat my food too.

“Hey Mi Kyong, can I ask for a favor?” I hear a deep male voice ask behind me.

“If you’re here for my sister’s phone number, the answer is she doesn’t have a cellphone.” I say, without turning around.

“It’s Minho.” He says laughing and I turn bright red.

“Omo. Oh hi there.” I say, covering my face from embarassment while my friends all laugh at me.

“I hear that uh you guys are going to a club this weekend.” Minho starts awkwardly.

“Yes, of couse you can come.” Taeyeon says, waving his sentence away as if she were a spoiled rich heiress. Minho scowls at her.

“Not that, I helped Key plan it.” Minho says, “I was wondering Nickhun could come, he said he really wants to go. He has something ahem special planned.”

“Oh.” Victoria says and one look and we can all see that they haven’t made up. “Well, go ask Key then because Nickhun and I aren’t dating anymore.” Everyone gasps. No one expected it to go this far.

“What! How come no one told me about this!!!” I ask.

“It’s a long story.” Victoria says and then mouths to me that she’ll tell me later. I mouth okay back to her.

“Well then.” Minho says and sits down.

“Aren’t you going to tell Key?” Taeyeon asks, slightly annoyed, she still didn’t likt Minho too much.

“Nah, I’d rather eat lunch with my friends.” Minho says, winking at me as if we had some kind of inside joke.

“Hey! No making moves on my girlfriend.” Taemin protests.

“Well better keep a close eye on her or I’ll snatch her away.” Minho jokes.

“Sorry Froggy, I’m totally taken, Taeyeon and I are together.” I joke and Taeyeon slips her arm around me for effect. Minho and Taemin’s mouths drop open.

“No! Mi Kyong! Come back to me!” Taemin whines playfully.

“No. I wub my Yeonnie more than mushrooms and froggies.” I say and everyone laughs. The warning bell rings and we clear off our table and go to our classes. Before I get to class, Mi Cha stops me in the hallway.

“I heard they convinced you?” Mi Cha asks.

“Wait, how did you know?” I ask.

“I have my ways.” She says and winks as we walk towards our respective classes.

“Like what?” I ask suspciously.

“Like Taeyeon texting Key when they convinced you.” Mi Cha calls to me and runs away.

“I’m going to get you!” I call after her, but chuckle as I enter my classroom.

Jonghyun’s POV

The guys and I decide to hang out after school, we go to a local coffee shop and catch up with each other. It seems like forever since I last talked to them, they’ve changed. Or maybe I have. I admit to myself reluctantly and wince.

“So Taemin, what did you get Mi Kyong for her birthday?” Key asks.

“I was going to get her a necklace but she’s already got one.” Taemin says, looking at me. I look away from him.

“How bout you Jonghyun? What are you getting Mi Cha?” Minho asks me.

“I haven’t thought about it yet.” I reply honestly, looking away out of guilt.

“What?!?” Key explodes, “What do you mean you haven’t thought about it? She’s your girlfriend! Unacceptable.” He says, dragging me up by the arm and pulling me out the door. “Froggy, we need your car. Unlock it.” Key says and Minho growls.

“That car is my baby. Seriously. I’m coming with you. I don’t trust you with it.” Minho says darkly and Key just pouts at him like a diva.

“Taemin, Onew, you might as well come. We can all shop for gifts together. It’s been so long since we’ve gone shopping anyways!” Key calls happily and we all groan. More like a few days. Key dragged us to the mall right before Mi Kyong and I left for the competition, that was less than two weeks ago. We all get into the car, I sit in the passenger seat, Key sits in the middle like a loner and Onew and Taemin sit in the back.

“Key I swear, you shop more than a woman. You’re paying for gas.” Minho grumbles and Key rolls his eyes. I chuckle from the passenger seat.

“Jonghyun! Play some music.” Key says and I glare at him for not using honorifics. Key sees my glare and corrects himself quickly. “Jonghyun-hyung, PLEASE, play some music.” Key says and I sigh, pressing the play button with my iPhone plugged in. The latest playlist of what I had started playing. Tik Tok started playing and Key started singing and I joined in. The car just turned into a mess of all four of us singing, while Minho brooded while driving silently, plotting world domination. After about 10 songs, Minho finally got fed up.

“Will you guys shut up! Seriously!” Minho yells at us and we go silent, before being just as rowdy as before, 5 minutes later. “Aish, jinja, my bad luck to be stuck with these annoying guys.” Minho grumbles to himself, but smiles. I chuckle at his remark and go back to singing along with Magic Girl in my falsetto. We arrive at the mall and Onew goes striaght to the food court.

“I’m in charge of the cake anyways.” He says, waving us away as he heads his way over to buy chicken. “I’ll be here if you need me.” He says, and he eyes Key warily, trying to escape being dragged on one of Key’s shopping sprees.

“Ne Onew-hyung.” Minho says, rolling his eyes at Onew’s chicken addiction. “I swear, Onew will get married to chicken someday.” Minho says, as soon as Onew is out of earshot and Taemin chuckles.

“Nahh, Onew-hyung has some pretty nice qualities, Mi Cha-sshi was telling me about them the other day.” Taemin says and I clench my fists. So Mi Cha has been talking about Onew huh?

“Jonghyun-hyung, are you alright? You look like you could punch a puppy right now.” Minho asks me with a smirk on his face. I punch his arm and he yelps, rubbing his arm in protest.

“Boys, boys, settle down. We have business to take care of.” Key says.

“What business?” Taemin mutters under his breath. Wow, maknae is learning all our bad habits.

“Okay, how about we split up into two groups. I’ll go with Jonghyun-hyung and Key, you can go with maknae.” Minho says authoratatively.

“Sure, sounds good to me.” Key says, “Come on Taemin! Stores are calling us!” Key says, dragging Taemin behind him, Taemin glares at us and mouths I hate you to us.

“Ne umma.” He says, sarcastically, trying to regain his balance after being dragged. Minho and I laugh really hard and we head over to one of the shops. Key may be my best friend and he’s definitely fun to shop with but once in a while, you kind of just want to give your feet and your poor credit card a break. I swear, Key almost melted one of his credit cards once from swiping it so much!

“So tell me all the details of your trip with Mi Kyong, I heard you had to share one bed.” Minho says, raising his eyebrows ertedly.

“Yah! Choi Minho!” I warn him and Minho laughs.

“Just kidding, but I’m being serious, what happened between you two? How come she won’t even make eye contact with you anymore?” Minho asks and I fall silent, while walking forwards.

I sigh, “Well, you see...” I say and explain to him all the details of our trip and what happened. Minho listens quietly.

“You’re an idiot you know that right?” Minho says.

“Err, thanks? Could you specify why though?” I say, taken aback at his sudden statement.

“She’s obviously pushing you away because you’ve made advances on her while you’re still dating her sister! Not to mention, her freaking twin!” Minho says to me and I facepalm.

“That doesn’t explain why she’s pushing me away though.” I say.

“Yes it does!” Minho says and then makes like a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter