Alternative Ending Part I

Defence

 

Starting from Chapter 68:
 
“I thought I told you to die!” he shouted. 
 
“Not before you do!” Victoria bellowed reaching for the gun in his grasp. 
 
He grabbed a hold of her left hand and squeezed it. Victoria let out a solidifying scream that deafened his ears. She felt the gun hit her across the head before she landed against the ground. 
 
She’d been beaten like this before at the base. Not by Jung Min but by her seniors, men beyond her age. This time she wasn’t about to let Jung Min treat her the same. He wasn’t her senior and she didn’t fear him. Creating her right hand into a fist she struggled to get up. 
 
Her body was shutting down on her slowly. 
 
In front of her Yoona’s figure had suddenly become hazy. It was hard to depict her strained face. Was she trying not to show how scared she was? Or was she trying not to bawl? 
 
Victoria bit her lip finally getting back onto her unsteady feet. 
 
“Only good things should be remembered.” Donghae’s signature line appeared in her head. 
 
She glanced around for Jung Min and found him standing no where farther than a few feet ahead. 
 
“Stop holding yourself back, it gets harder to look at you when you try to hide. Don’t run either. You keep thinking that you can’t return to normal so you think you don’t belong here, but I can tell you that you most certainly belong here. Sometimes, I wonder why I had to run into you that night, but now I know that if I hadn’t run you over I would probably still be lonely right now. In a way you really did help fill that gap I’d been feeling. It’s the truth, about why I let you stay. So don’t think of going anywhere else.” Taecyeon had honestly told her once. 
 
Victoria swallowed her saliva. 
 
“I’m sorry, Taecyeon,” Victoria silently apologized. 
 
The gun…the gun in Jung Min’s hand was slowly tilting up. Victoria felt herself bowl over helplessly. Clutching her stomach she stood up again to see Yoona carefully reach for her hidden gun. 
 
No, it wasn’t good. 
 
Jung Min was a beast. He was the best at aiming and shooting. No matter how talented Yoona was with the gun, she wouldn’t be able to outwit that guy. 
 
Victoria inched her foot forward starting slowly then pulled all the energy she had left and accelerated into a short run before locking her arm around Jung Min’s neck. 
 
“You…you…!” he screamed trying to fight her. 
 
“Run!” Victoria screamed, her hair now in a mess. 
 
Glands of sweat suddenly ran down her cheeks matting her bangs her hair to her face. 
 
Jung Min elbowed her a few times and her lock around him broke free. Quickly stepping forward she pulled him back and head locked him again.
 
“Im Yoona!” Victoria was now shrieking. “Run! Get out of here!” 
 
When she opened her eyes Yoona was still glued in her spot with arms outstretched, gun in hand. 
 
What was she doing? Was she insane?!
 
Jung Min was using all his strength to fight against her. She could feel her feet move back before she could get a steady hold on him again. 
 
“Let go! Let go!” he bellowed. 
 
Victoria bit her lips together to expel the pain coming from her torn hand. She couldn’t hold him. Her strength was losing out. Jung Min broke free from her after another second of struggling and she watched him take a few steps forward getting into position to shoot. 
 
Her mind screamed a scream she had never screamed before. Victoria dashed forward feeling her legs slowly collapse underneath her. 
 
Yoona wasn’t shooting. Yoona wasn’t shooting. Her mind repeated to herself again and again. 
 
An exploding sound pierced the air. Jung Min’s gun had gone off. 
 
And just in time Victoria had thrown herself into Yoona pushing her to the ground. The bullet had missed them by a millisecond. Scrambling off her friend Victoria searched around for the gun that had seemingly flown out of Yoona’s hand. Harsh gasps for air aroused from Yoona causing Victoria to turn back to her in alarm. 
 
“Yoona! Im Yoona!” Victoria shouted pulling her up so that she could sit. “Get a hold of yourself!” 
 
Another click vibrated in Victoria’s ears before she turned to see Jung Min standing directly in front of them, the gun pointing at them both. 
 
“You, Victoria, my sweet, should get a hold of yourself first.” he smiled the most creepy one she’d ever seen. 
 
She stared at him and without a warning grabbed the gun trying to wrestle it out of his hand. Jung Min’s grasp on it was exceedingly strong that Victoria had no choice but to bring her torn hand into the struggle. Victoria let out a shout midway and finally grasped it out of his hand. Finally pulling herself up to her feet Victoria kicked him back watching him fall with his back onto the ground. Walking toward him Victoria pulled him up and punched him across the face. Feeling a sense of success overwhelm her she sent another blow across his face and another and another without mercy. She wished he’d just die on the spot. 
 
“Do you think this’ll kill me?” he asked looking up with his almost distorted face. 
 
“Die?” she asked now pulling him to his feet. “Lets die together right now!” 
 
“Victoria! Victoria!” Yoona shouted her name.
 
Victoria glued her eyes on Jung Min refusing to turn around to her friend’s voice. Clutching onto his shirt with her left hand she turned Jung Min around so that his back was facing Yoona. 
 
“Shoot!” Victoria demanded. 
 
“Psh! You think this’ll do it?” Jung Min whispered. 
 
“Yoona! Shoot!” Victoria screamed once more. 
 
Yoona stared at her with her black gun hesitating. 
 
“What are you doing?!” Victoria shouted. 
 
Jung Min chuckled. “Little girl’s lost her mind.”
 
“Shut it!” Victoria warned. 
 
“This is what I tell you about traveling back to the world,” Jung Min went on. “You should have stayed back at camp where you wouldn’t have to worry about hurting anyone you know. You wouldn’t be hurt or near death. Look at what reality’s brought you to, my sweet Vic. Now, hand me my gun. You’re pass your limit.” 
 
Victoria stared at him feeling her eyes shake. Indeed she was losing it. It had already become a fight with herself just to keep her grip on him. Victoria gulped. 
 
“No.” she refused still gripping onto the electric gun. “Just kill me.” 
 
Jung Min stared at her with a smirk and reached his hand up placing it atop of hers. Slowly he turned the gun around so that the head faced her. 
 
“You die first, I’ll come right after so you won’t be alone.” he smiled. 
 
Victoria stared at him. In that moment a loud shot, louder than a gun shot should have been, rang in the air vibrating twice as hard. Something quickly climbed up Victoria’s throat as Jung Min fell against her. A thick, smooth liquid reached . It tasted sweet and sick at the same time before she literally choked on it. In no time Victoria had fell back on the ground and the blood in was seeping down her neck and cheek flowing into her hair. 
 
- - - - -
 
Taecyeon’s hand twitched once then twice before his eyes finally opened. He sat up feeling his stiff back become sore at once. 
 
“Ah…” he moaned looking around the dark room wondering what had just happened. 
 
It was only a second later when he realized that his phone was ringing non-stop. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out his phone. Yoona’s slurred voice caught his attention at first before he recognized two words: hospital and Victoria. 
 
His mind raced, his heart thumped the loudest its ever thumped. Silently he prayed to the Lord above that he would do anything to have Victoria safe. He sped into the parking lot and parked clumsily getting out with keys still in the engine. 
 
The hospital doors opened automatically for him and he dashed down the hall toward the ER. In front of the ER doors stood a bloody Yoona. His heart immediately dropped and he froze in spot. It couldn’t be anything bad. No. Nothing had happened…
 
He gulped trying to maintain composure and took a few steps forward until he eventually reached her. 
 
“What…happened?” he asked putting his hand on her arm. 
 
Yoona only replied with helpless sobs.  
 
“I don’t know…” 
 
“What do you mean you don’t know?!!” he scolded loudly. 
 
Yoona pulled up her hands to and continued crying. Taecyeon stared at her angrily and sorrowfully. He couldn’t do anything! He couldn’t do anything!! 
 
“Aish!” he screamed kicking the ground. 
 
- - - - -
 
A knock on the door woke Donghae up at once. He turned at the sound of his mother’s voice. Quickly getting out of bed he unlocked the door and found a strange worried expression on the woman’s face. 
 
“What is it?” he asked. 
 
“The cops are here. They want to talk to you.” she said nervously. 
 
Donghae was struck by the word: cops. Had he done something wrong? He was positive that he hadn’t breached the law. 
 
“You haven’t done anything wrong, have you?” she asked grabbing onto his arm. 
 
“I’ll be right down. Let me change first.” Donghae said then closed the door again. 
 
Curiosity perked his mind. Why had they come for him? 
 
Moments later down the stairs Donghae paused a bit so that he could have a glance into the sitting room where the cops were sitting. There were two of them. An old, round man and a younger one. 
 
They immediately arose to their feet when they spotted him. 
 
“Ah…sorry for the intrusion Mr. Lee.” the round man apologized. 
 
“It’s ok,” Donghae said. “Please sit.” 
 
As they sat down Donghae wondered where to start first. 
 
“What brings you here in the middle of the night?” asked Donghae. 
 
The man round man cleared his throat a bit. “We’re not here to alarm you. We just want to ask a few questions.”
 
“Questions?” Donghae asked getting confused. 
 
The round man nodded. “Regarding Miss Victoria Song.” 
 
- - - - -
 
Victoria’s eyes fluttered awake a day after the incident. The bright room seemed immensely dim when she first glanced around. She didn’t quite have the energy to lift up her arms and something around her nose and mouth felt a bit strange. That was before she realized a breathing mask had been attached to her. 
 
Somebody quickly leaned over her and a smile lit her face. 
 
“She’s awake! She’s awake! Go get the doctor! Get the doctor!” she yelped. 
 
Time quickly became a fight against drowsiness before the door opened again and a man in a long robe of white walked in. He threw a flashlight into her eyes and asked her questions in which she could only nod to. 
 
A day later it had only come to her understanding that at the same moment as Yoona’s gun had gone off Jung Min had also shot her. The bullet had pierced her lung at the same time Jung Min lost his life.