16

Defence

“Thanks,” Yoona thanked extending a hand out.

He stared at her hand for a long time as if he’d forgotten about the coffee until she gestured her hand toward the drink.

“Oh,” he said with a silly smile and finally handed her the warm can. “I kinda warmed it up at the store if you don’t mind.”

Yoona took the can and held it in her palm enjoying the warmth as she stepped out of the elevator into the hall. “You’re working kind of late.”

“Uh…well…my shift ended half an hour ago but I didn’t know if you were still up there,” he told. “Oh yes, by the way my name’s Ok Taecyeon.”

“Im Yoona.” she introduced herself with a soft smile.

He smiled back and walked alongside her. Yoona walked toward the wooden benches built around some tall plants inside the building by the windows and sat down.

“I thought you were leaving,” he told still standing.

Yoona smiled a small one and opened the coffee. “I don’t really feel like leaving either.”

They were silent.

He observed her quietly and noted that she seemed kind of down. He wasn’t sure how to describe her sadness. It seemed like she had multiple things going on that disappointed her and hurt her.

“You seem like a nice person.” she began. “I think it kind of feels better talking to a stranger who knows nothing about me.”

He wasn’t sure if she were talking to him or to herself but he stood by attentively. From outside the moon had already switched roles with the sun. Its white beams illuminating the sky with its pure whiteness. However still it seemed Seoul still looked like it did during the daytime. The streets were overrun with cars and people, who roamed the street like there were no difference between light or dark.

“If you don’t mind, would you listen to me for a while?” she asked looking up at him.

Taecyeon looked down, “Oh…no. It’s ok.” He sat down far enough from her to make sure that he didn’t make her feel uneasy. “All ears are on you.” he smiled foolishly.

“My wedding is supposed to be next week,” Yoona started cupping the can of coffee with her hands, “but I cancelled it when I got assigned to a job in Kwangju. It was supposed to last a few weeks as we were supposed to move from city to city so I didn’t know when I’d make it back. My fiancé got upset with the news and he was right. The job down in Kwangju was useless. I ruined it and came back early. So now I’m waiting to talk to him but I don’t even think he wants to see me.”

“Sorry,” was all Taecyeon could think of to say. Badmouthing Donghae in front of her looked bad so he couldn’t say anything other than “sorry”.

“But I understand it’s not his fault for being so upset with me. I’ve stood him up plenty of times.” Yoona told and paused for a long time.

Taecyeon had learned throughout his life that listening without interrupting was a more effective way of understanding someone than stopping that person and asking questions or giving comments. He didn’t know if Yoona was finished so he remained silent. For that long minute he watched her sip the coffee more than once and then he thought maybe he should have just bought a warm bottle of water for her.

“This is something that very few people know about. Besides my family, her family, and my Chief. You’re the only other person who would know about it.” Yoona told.

Even Donghae doesn’t know? Taecyeon felt surprised but contained his excitement.

“And…you’re going to tell me this?” Taecyeon asked slowly.

“I don’t feel like I mind - it’s something I want to get out of my system but then you don’t seem like the person to be spreading secrets.” he didn’t know if she was indirectly warning him or if she meant what she said.

“I won’t say a word.” he promised.

“I had this friend - my best friend, we grew up together. Our class went on a trip one weekend and one night we snuck off from the campground. I didn’t know that that was one of the worst decisions I’ve made in my life.”

Taecyeon swore he saw her hands shake as she gripped onto the can on her lap more tightly. What kind of story was she telling him this time?

“She was taken…kidnapped before my eyes…and they disappeared that night.” Yoona gritted her teeth. “I returned alone, but her parents’ hearts were broken.” a long pause. “I feel terrible every time I see them. They’ve aged so fast and it’s all my fault. My friend’s been gone 14 years and we still haven’t found her. Do you know how awful it is…when you know you’ve done something wrong and no one’s blamed you for it? I grew up guilty, every moment of my life I felt guilty for having something she’s been deprived of. Till a few days ago, I was living my life wishing and hoping that she hadn’t died somewhere. If she had died I don’t know what I would do.”

She seemed to let out a small gasp.

“Down in Masan, I met the man who was there that night. He told me she is alive.” Yoona bit onto her bottom lip. “I want to open up the case and start another investigation, another search for her.”

For some reason Taecyeon could only smile when she turned to look at him. Their eyes met for an instant and she replied back with a smile.

“I believe you can do it.” he said.

- - - - -

After snacking on fish cakes at the roadside stall Victoria and Donghae walked all the way back to his car. Night had fallen and a silver crest of stars had been drawn over the high sky.

The drive back to Taecyeon’s apartment was a rather long and relaxing one as they listened to the radio. Parking beside the apartment Donghae stepped out and met with Victoria by the door.

“Did you have fun?”

“The date was fun.”

“You’re a really, really, really, really, really unique person, you know that?” he asked.

“What does that mean?” she questioned confused.

“You’re special.”

Victoria looked even more confused. Donghae laughed and smiled all at once.

“Would you get it if I say you’re cute?”

“Cute?” she repeated with both eyebrows raised. “What are you saying? I can’t understand.”

“I’m just teasing.”

“Teasing?”

Donghae pressed his lips together and smiled.

“Is the date over?” Victoria went on.

“Yes, so next time prepare yourself for even more fun.”

“There’s going to be a next time?” she sounded like a kid.

“Good night,” he said and turned around then turned back. “A date ends when the man brings his date back to her home. And there’s one more important thing.”

Victoria felt taken aback by shock when he suddenly leaned forward without warning and gave her a light peck on the lips.

His face seemed to glow when he glanced at her, “Go on in. Sleep well, alright?”

Victoria looked at him a bit then opened the door and headed in. Donghae watched the door close and got back into his car with his heart racing wildly. It wasn’t plain interest, he was attracted to her.

- - - - -

After he watched Yoona drive away in her car waving at him he also got into his car. Along the way back a food shop caught his eye and recalling that the Director had been found and he’d been swiped clean he decided to reward himself with some fried chicken. And maybe he would bring something back for the starving Victoria.

Opening the door he found Victoria stuffing a DVD back into place in the TV cabinet.

“What are you doing?” he asked taking his shoes off.

Without glancing at him she got up and grabbed the bag of chicken from him. “Wah!! You brought back food?! For once you brought back food!”

“It’s not for you,” he told snatching it back. “My name’s been cleared.”

He walked into the kitchen with her following.

“What does that mean?” she asked sitting down ready to be served.

“Yah, have you washed your hands?” he asked pointing at her hands.

“Well, I haven’t touched anything disgusting,” she replied reaching for the chicken.

“Yah! Wash your hands first and let me see you wash them!” he scolded.

Victoria made a face and got up making her way to the sink. After drying her hands she sat back down and began eating the chicken.

“No rice?” he asked.

“I’m not that starved,” she replied then changed the subject, “what do you mean by your name’s been cleared?”

“Oh yes! Turns out the Director who framed me was caught in Busan,” Taecyeon explained. “Isn’t that good news?”

Victoria frowned, “I guess.”

“You guess?!!” he heaved a sigh, an annoyed one. “You don’t understand that’s why you’re too simple minded.”

Victoria shrugged deciding to allow him to think whatever he wanted. After one more piece of chicken she pressed her lips together and ran a finger over them recalling the peck from earlier.

“If someone does ‘this’ to you what does that mean?” asked Victoria throwing her bunched up fingers against her lips.

“What?” he asked with an unbelievable laughter at what she just did. “Do it again.”

Victoria frowned at him then put her hands down, “You’re making fun of me.”

“No, really I’m not.”

Victoria turned away blinking her eyes as if she couldn’t believe his attitude with her then said, “If your lips touch what does that mean?”

“What?”

“You know…when someone puts their lips together with yours…”

“Have you never been educated?”

“I am!” she spat.

He chuckled, “Don’t get angry. I’m just joking. A kiss. Why? Did you see it in a movie?”

“Movie?” she repeated then nodded. “Uh…yes. What does it mean?”

“People mostly do it to the ones they love. Simple as that. Though there are different types of kisses. Like greetings and all.”

“Like what?” Victoria asked lost.

“Aish! Forget you.” he told. “Go watch TV or something.”

Victoria shot him a small glare before heading out of the kitchen.

“Love?” she frowned.

- - - - -

“Where have you been all night?” his mother asked at the door.

“Wow, have you come into a habit of greeting me here every night?” he asked walking into the house.

“I asked a question!” she stated.

“Me too,” he agreed with a sarcastic shake of his head.

“Yah!!! Can you just answer me! I swear you’re going to blow up my head someday.”

“Like you’re going to rip my throat up?”

He received a slap on the back in return.

“Ow! Mom!” he screamed stepping away from her as they headed into the gathering room.

“What are you…” she started.

“You mean to ask where I’ve been?” he asked.

She glared at him.

“Ok, ok,” he said with his arm at his stinging back. “I was just…dealing with some business…”

“Yoona’s back from Kwangju. Go see her and talk about your wedding next week,” his mother ordered.

“What?” Donghae asked with a stunned silence following. “Yoona’s…back?”

“She returned yesterday. Make time for lunch with her tomorrow and bring her over for dinner. Make sure you talk to her about the wedding. There’s still time to prepare again for the wedding. As for the wedding planners I’ll call…”

“I’m not seeing her,” Donghae cut his mother off. “And the wedding’s still off. There won’t be one. Period.”

He turned around and walked pass his mother, who had wide open in surprise.

Sitting on the chair in front of his small desk upstairs he stared hard at the ground. Yoona was back? Already? So soon? He felt surprised at the mention of it but part of him was still upset with her.

The wedding…he had looked forward to it but he wasn’t sure about her. During the times when the wedding was brought up Yoona became immediately busy and barely had time to come out to talk about decorations and where it would be held. And Donghae ended up making all the decisions with his mother and in the end it was cancelled. There wasn’t one time during that month or the months before that he’d seen Yoona come out.

Yes, he was deeply upset but he’d called off the relationship too hadn’t he? Yes, they had nothing to do with each other, nothing to ask from each other anymore. He pressed his lips together and hung his head back into the empty air.