32

Defence

He spun and looked at her shocked.

“There are some things I want to know.” Yoona stated. “Shall we go outside?”

On the green yard by the swing sets they stood. The air brushed against their skin, the sun hidden behind the grey Columbus clouds. He hated the weather that day.

“We used to play here,” Yoona explained. “Victoria and I.”

Taecyeon stared at her feeling lost.

“Tell me what you know about her. You’ll be honest with me, won’t you?” she asked as if challenging him.

“I don’t know. She changed yesterday,” Taecyeon started, “I really don’t know what kind of a person she is. I thought she was clumsy. When I first ran into her she seemed clueless about the world modernizing. She called the hand phone a device and couldn’t text. Victoria seemed amazed by everything. It was like she’d been locked up…sort of like a wild child.”

Yoona stared at him feeling her heart fall down the drain, “Like a wild child?”

“Everything was new to her one way or another. DVDs, the sink, cookbooks, the grocery store, clothes. Everything.”

Yoona blinked and turned away feeling tears on their way. “What day was it that you ran into her?”

Taecyeon thought, “October 18. Sometime at night I accidentally crashed into her. She ran out of the trees and also told me she was running away from some bad guys.”

“What?”

“I tried to take her to the hospital for a checkup but she refused so I brought her to my apartment,” Taecyeon explained. “That’s how I know her.”

“Octoboer 18? And some people were chasing her?” Yoona repeated as if those were the only factors that mattered.

“Yes.” he nodded.

Did Victoria really have some connection to the assassination?

“You said you met some guy in Masan who spoke about Victoria. Were those the same guys who’d been chasing her?” Taecyeon asked out of curiosity.

Yoona turned to look at him, “I was thinking about that last night. I don’t know what they’ve done to her those 14 years. But 14 years is a long time. If those men are dangerous…I don’t know what that makes Victoria.”

“You’re not thinking she’s a criminal…are you?” Taecyeon sounded worried.

“Do you think I want to assume that?” Yoona sounded upset this time.

“Of course not.” Taecyeon said then looked down at the grass underneath his feet. “I asked her about you yesterday.”

Yoona’s ears perked up.

“She claims not to know you.” Taecyeon told. “Her attitude took a 180 degree turn yesterday. If you talk to her, she might not answer your questions. I think she’s planning to go on the run.”

“Lunch is ready,” Mrs. Kim appeared through the door.

- - - - -

Lunch came and went by. They walked around outside for half an hour hand in hand and for the first time Victoria treasured the moment. When they headed back to the apartment they found a car parked by the building. A car Victoria didn’t recognize but Donghae did.

“Looks like you have a visitor,” Donghae told.

Victoria stared at the door for a long moment wondering who her visitor was. She thought of turning around and walking away but it was cowardly to run. The door above the three steps opened and Ok Tacyeon and Yoona walked out. When the two noticed Victoria and Donghae they froze in spot.

“Why’d you leave it behind? I thought I told you to bring it wherever you go,” Taecyeon said grabbing her hand and made her hold onto the phone.

Donghae glanced at the motion and glanced at Taecyeon then to Yoona. “What are you two doing here? Shouldn’t you be at work and you at the office?”

“I pulled him out,” Yoona said.

Silence.

“You don’t want to know why?” Yoona asked half glancing at Victoria, who successfully avoided her eyes.

“What are you talking about?” Donghae wondered. “Is something going on that I don’t know about?”

“Should we go up?” Taecyeon asked.

“Why?” Donghae tossed back a question.

“I want to talk to you,” Yoona changed her gaze so she could fully view Victoria.

Victoria stared back with a heavy set of eyes that said nothing and showed nothing.

“Did I do something wrong, Deputy?” Victoria asked kindly with a smile.

Yoona didn’t like the look on her face. Victoria wasn’t about to take her seriously.

“Yoona, look,” Donghae began.

“For right now, this moment doesn’t concern you,” Yoona spat without turning to look at him. “I’ll worry about you later.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Donghae said standing in front of Victoria. “Victoria hasn’t done anything wrong. So, don’t talk to her like that.”

Yoona took a breath and glanced at Donghae, running low on patience.

Victoria glanced at Donghae unsure of what to feel. But one thing she understood for sure, her heart went out to him. This innocent man, who didn’t know anything, was trying to protect her. During that moment she realized that she was making things worse by just standing there. Donghae and Yoona would get into an argument and Taecyeon wasn’t one to stand there and watch.

“Ok,” Victoria told causing Donghae to turn back and look at her. “You and Taecyeon go up first.”

“Victoria…” he began.

“Shall we?” Taecyeon interrupted.

Donghae spun back to look at his employee.

“It’s fine. Go on.” Victoria urged.

Donghae glanced at her and reluctantly followed Taecyeon through the door and up the stairs leaving Victoria, who slowly moved her eyes over to Yoona. Her gaze was strong and full of solitude. A mischievous smirk grew on Victoria’s lips.

“I wonder what there is to talk about, Deputy,” Victoria said. “Why do you want to talk to me?”

“Don’t do this, Victoria.” Yoona pleaded.

“I’m confused about what you’re talking about,” Victoria said innocently. “You haven’t explained to me about why you want to talk to me. What’s the urgent matter, Sherriff Deputy?”  

Yoona stared at her long and hard. “Victoria Song. You should be 26 this year. Your birthday’s coming up.”

“I never said I was Victoria Song.”

Yoona almost snorted. Then she glanced at Victoria again. She slowly walked toward her friend, who didn’t flinch or step back. She didn’t know whether it was unusual or not. Yoona walked pass her feeling their shoulders brush before she opened the gym door.

“Come in.” Yoona said.

Victoria glanced at the cars and turned around following Yoona into the gym. Closing the door behind her she stood under the basketball hoop staring at the thin tall woman in front of her. Was this going to be hard or not?

“I have a feeling you know combat,” Yoona started. “If I toss you over you tell me everything. Is that clear?”

“What happens if I toss you over?” asked Victoria.

Yoona only stared. “Then it ends there.”

Victoria stared back then smiled. “What if I don’t know combat?”

Without warning Yoona lowered herself to the ground with one leg swinging forward intentionally to sweep Victoria off her feet. Instead of jumping over her leg which was quickly flying at her, Victoria easily kicked her leg back. Yoona rolled once then got up.

“It’s no use playing blonde with me,” Yoona stated. “It’s just beginning.”

- - - - -

“Sit down,” Taecyeon told setting a cup of water on the kitchen table.

Donghae sat down with his back to the TV and Taecyeon sat opposite of him.

“I don’t think we’ve ever talked before,” Taecyeon said, “without getting angry at each other.”

“What do you want?” Donghae asked without even glancing at the cup of water.

“You know about Yoona, don’t you?” Taecyeon asked.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I thought you were her ex-fiancé?” Taecyeon went on.

“I don’t like beating around the bush,” Donghae stated, “if you’re going to say something, go ahead and say it.”

“Back off from Victoria,” Taecyeon ordered, “nothing’s going to end well if you keep it up like this.”

“Why?” Donghae wondered running his hand in a circle on the table top. “Who are you to be ordering me?”

“Do you want to break another heart?” Taecyeon pressed on.

- - - - -

Victoria felt no need to fight. She didn’t have the energy for that kind of stuff against Yoona. But if Yoona wanted to try so bad Victoria wouldn’t hold herself back. She couldn’t lose and tell Yoona everything.

“Die or live Victoria.” the voice battered the back of her head.

Yoona dodged Victoria’s high kick and threw another punch, which Victoria evaded successfully. Strutting her leg out for a kick in Victoria’s stomach, Yoona watched as Victoria lowered herself and grabbed her leg tossing her over to the other side. Yoona flipped in the air and landed on the hard floor with a loud thud. Before getting up Victoria quickly turned back with her feet flying intending to step on her neck and choke the air out of her, but Victoria’s feet didn’t touch her. It stopped inches above her neck. Yoona stared up at Victoria, who had her hands held into fists.

“You lost.” Victoria stated and withdrew her feet before heading toward the door.

Yoona got up to make a run after her but Victoria quickly spun around and kicked her to the ground. Yoona slid a quarter of the way into the gym. When Yoona looked up Victoria’s face expression never changed from that of a still killer’s.

“Is that what you learned?” Yoona questioned holding onto her stomach gasping for air. “To make that face, to stare at others that way?”

Victoria didn’t reply.

“Is it?!” Yoona shouted, her voice echoing off the walls. “I know it’s you Victoria, you know it’s me. Can’t you admit it?! I worked so hard to get here! Breaking my hands and legs, giving up everything I had in order to find you! Can’t you think of how hard I worked?!”

Victoria stared at her expressionlessly then cocked her head. “Who are you talking about?”

Yoona felt drop open.

“This isn’t about you,” Victoria said. “Don’t you think your friend could have died already? Why are you pushing your hopes upon some stranger? It’s burdening.”

Yoona slowly got up feeling the pain in her stomach spread to her legs, but nonetheless she got up. “Lies. You just want to run away.”

“Me?” Victoria asked.

“My friend never died,” Yoona declared, “I know you pushed yourself to stay alive. Don’t be like this, please!”

Yoona took a few steps forward before falling onto the ground again. With her knees on the ground she made an effort to move forward but fell again. Her hands were held in tight fists against the ground as her head dropped forward, her long hair drooping over her shoulders. In the lone gym full of cold air Yoona’s cries bounced off the walls.

Victoria imagined herself running over and crying along with Yoona, but her consciousness stood there and stared. There was no turning back. She’d decided it all already.

“Sorry.” a voice within apologized as Victoria walked out of the gym.


***Wow, this must be the first time I missed an update ^^ but I bet everyone else was also busy huh?