22

Defence

- - - - -

When Taecyeon walked through the doors he was greeted with the receptionist’s smirk.

“I bet you enjoyed it,” she remarked. “That grin on your face.”

Taecyeon just smiled and turned around. Back to his job. Back to watching people. The phone rang behind him and he heard the receptionist answer the phone. She seemed joyful at first but her tone became awkward with the person she was speaking to before hanging up.

“Taec, what did you do?” she asked.

He spun around. “I didn’t do anything.”

“You might have been caught red handed with the CEO’s gal. He wants you upstairs.”

“The CEO?” Taecyeon repeated.

Had he really been caught? Or did Donghae want to see him for some other matter? He found his answer when he entered Donghae’s sophisticated office. Sitting up in his mighty chair behind his large desk Taecyeon let their eyes meet. For some reason every time the two met it didn’t seem to be on good terms. Taecyeon braced himself and stood with hands in front of him. He had to remind himself a few times that he was still at work and their meeting only concerned business within the business.

“You wanted to see me, sir?” asked Taecyeon.

“Skip formalities.” Donghae waved his hand at Taecyeon. “Besides, it’s not like we don’t know each other.”

Taecyeon felt his eyebrows come together.

“Who’s Victoria to you?” he asked.

“What?” Taecyeon was confused.

Where did Victoria come up?

“I’m asking what’s her relation to you.”

Taecyeon let his eyes linger over the man for a few seconds, “My cousin.”

“Oh?” Donghae ushered the noise, which meant that he didn’t believe him.

Well…the man had the right to suspect. Which cousin would ever let his female cousin wear his own clothes in his home? Suspicious, not? Taecyeon decided not to comment.

“Why is she staying with you?” Donghae questioned.

“Why do you need to know?”

“Then how long is she staying with you?”

“Why does that matter?”

“I’m asking you questions here, Ok Taecyeon.” Donghae’s voice went solid.

“I’m not sure.” Taecyeon forced the answer out of his throat.

“Can’t you find another place for her to stay? Honestly, I don’t like her there at your apartment,” Donghae explained bitterly.

“Do you think I have that money?”

“Why not?” Donghae shrugged. “However, if you don’t want to waste your money I can help look for a place for her and pay the bills for her. If that works, lets do that instead.”

“Who do you think you are?” Taecyeon spat. “Don’t you think you’ve gone over the line?”

Donghae stared at him silently.

“You’re really arrogant,” Taecyeon commented, “if you have all the time to be worrying about someone else why don’t you go worry about your fiancée instead?”

Taecyeon expected another bitter remark from Donghae but instead he just smiled with a smirk on the edge of his lips.

“She’s not my fiancée.” Donghae stated. “There’s only one event I’m aware of going on next week and that is the Board’s banquet.”

Taecyeon held himself back from rolling his eyes.

“Then suit yourself, and leave Victoria alone.” Taecyeon ordered.

He opened the door and walked out letting the heavy door close loudly behind him. God, if the door broke Taecyeon wouldn’t care either. When the elevator brought him to ground floor he made his way over to the reception desk. After the receptionist got off her long phone call she turned toward him.

“So what was it about? Did you get scratched?” she questioned.

“What scratch?” he asked angrily then heaved a sigh. “It’s nothing.”

“Did you get yelled at for doing something again?”

“No.” Taecyeon replied then turned around. “You know what I really dislike? When people nose into things they have no association with.”

“Oh…sorry.”

“I’m not talking about you.” he clarified and turned around feeling another sigh escape him.

- - - - - -

Yoona sat in her office slowly losing concentration on her work. Linking her fingers together she rested her chin on top of it.

“Another woman?” she asked recalling his mother’s words.

“I know you like my son. I care for his future and I think you’re a good match for him.” the woman explained. “When you were gone my son picked up some woman from the road. I don’t like her. Don’t let him two-time you.”

What his mother said didn’t really mean anything. It just meant Yoona was a good decision for him during the moment. There nothing about she was the best for him and his mother would always prefer her. His mother ‘only’ didn’t want her son to be dating someone with no real background. Yoona knew how these things worked in high class societies. She’d seen it before. Been called once out to an argument and was told to arrest the young girl with no fame who was dating this rich woman’s son. She could almost laugh right then but she couldn’t. She didn’t have the mood to laugh.

Donghae wasn’t a simple person as he seemed to be. As nice and handsome as his exterior seemed he was a really rough person on the inside. One with a lot of regrets. Yoona knew that story. He didn’t just choose to date any girl, he was always seeking for a kind of understanding from the other party. Then he would wait and see if both their feelings were on the same wavelength. Yoona knew him that way.

Maybe…it was time to call him back.

Yoona reached for her phone and dialed his number. The phone rang a few times before she heard his voice. When he answered she realized immediately how she’d been silently yearning to hear him talk.

“It’s me.” Yoona began.

Silence.

“I know.” he replied. “Do you have time?”

“I was about to ask.” Yoona told. “How about tonight?”

“I’ll see you around 7.” he suggested then hung up.

The shortest conversation they’d ever had. But yet, Donghae wasn’t the type to talk on the phone all night long.

- - - - -

Taecyeon got off work early and decided to stop by a phone store before heading back. He looked around the store for probably 30 minutes before finally purchasing a phone. Carrying the bag in hand he walked up the stairs and found the house empty, unoccupied. The TV wasn’t warm meaning Victoria hadn’t been watching any shows. Did she run off somewhere again? Oh, how Taecyeon hated the feeling of being worried.

He checked all the rooms in the apartment then hurried outside stopping halfway through the apartment. Glancing into the kitchen he found that the keys to the gym were gone.

After heading downstairs he walked toward the gym doors to find Victoria running around inside.

“What is she doing?” he asked watching her from the window then finally reached for the doorknob and opened the door after Victoria had dropped down onto the mat trying to catch her breath.

He saw her eyes move toward him but she made no move to get up.

“What are you doing?” he asked walking over and stopping by the end of the mat staring down at her.

“Taking a break. Can’t you see?” she asked through small gasps for air.

Her hair had been neatly tied back and sweat lingered over her face making the dew drops glow under the lights. He wondered how long she’d been running for. Taecyeon held his hand out to her. She stared then reached her hand up. It didn’t take him long to realize that she’d gotten a new bandage.

“Other hand,” he told.

Victoria threw her other hand to him, he grabbed it, and pulled her up.

“Aren’t you back a little early?” she questioned wiping her sweat with her sleeve then headed for the door.

“You got a new bandage?” he asked following her up the stairs to the apartment.

“Yea.” was her simple reply.

“Where’d you get it? The one from yesterday was the last.” he wondered.

Victoria grabbed a cup of water and sat down at the kitchen table. “It’s a secret.”

Taecyeon snorted with a laugh. “Sure. Wait for me here. I’ll be back.”

She watched as he walked away then came back still holding the bag he’d had ever since he’d returned.

“What’d you get? Food?” she questioned staring at the bag.

“It’s not food. You can check it out yourself.” he told handing her the bag.

Victoria glanced at him then took the bag and took out the box along with the scarf.

“What’s this?” Victoria asked staring at the picture of a phone on the box.

“Are you kidding me?” he said taking the box and opening it. “This here is a phone. These things are expensive.”

“Oh?” she muttered. “Then why’d you get it?”

Taecyeon heaved a sigh and grabbed the chair next to her sitting down.

“You want to know why? So that I can keep track of you wherever you go.”

Victoria raised an eyebrow.

Taecyeon caught himself and clarified, “I mean I hate it when you run off and I return with food, you know? The food then becomes a waste.”

“Sure…” Victoria uttered then grabbed the phone from him. “This is quite a device.”

“Device?” he repeated. “No, it’s a phone. Hand phone. Turn it on like this. I’ll show you how to add numbers and this here…”

Victoria watched him teach her how to use the basics of the phone.

“And you can also text.” he explained showing her how.

“That’s too much.” she told shaking her head. “Who in the world remembers that?”

“Everybody.” he answered. “If you go out somewhere and I’m not home, call me or text. Ok? So I’ll know where you are.”

“But what’s the use?” Victoria asked leaning her elbow against the table. “I can go anywhere and come back anyway. I’m not as defenseless as you may think.”

Taecyeon sighed again exasperated, “If there’s ever an emergency, call. End of story, you don’t need to wonder about those things. Where have you been all this time?”

Victoria glanced at the phone.

“It’s a burden. I don’t like carrying things,” Victoria told. “Just return it.”

“Aish! When I already bought it don’t throw it back to me! Just take it! Here!” he shoved the phone into her hand.

“Then what’s this?” she asked pointing to the scarf.

“It’s a scarf. Keeps your neck warm. Wear it with the jacket that jerk got you.” Taecyeon explained getting up.

“What?” Victoria asked after him.

“Ahh!!” Taecyeon rubbed his head frustrated.

- - - - -

Yoona and Donghae met at their usual place, the classy restaurant in the heart of Seoul. A two storied building with the smell of oriental Korean foods spiced the air. Made from ornate golden bricks the windows had been polished till they looked glossy. The first floor was a place where customers sat relaxed under the bright lights at their white tables enjoying luxurious wine along with their freshly cooked meals. The second floor was a little different. Manipulated as the set of a balcony, free air flew in from the four open sides along with a great view of the stars outside. And that was where Yoona and Donghae sat that night under the dim lights that evening.

“I heard you went to Busan,” Yoona started after the food they ordered had been made and placed in front of them.

The steam from the white rice on Donghae’s plate flowed up into the air creating a hazy maze in the air. Something close to what he was feeling that evening after getting off work.

“Business matters,” Donghae replied. “How was Kwangju?”

“I’m not afraid to admit it. It was a waste of time.” Yoona explained. “Are you glad you were right?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Donghae poked at his foot without an appetite.

“Why are we talking like this?” Yoona asked. “It feels like we’re strangers.”

“We’re not if that’s what you’re worried about,” Donghae assured.

Yoona took a bite out of her food, “I met with your mother today.”

Donghae looked up from his food and finally their eyes met.

“You’re still feeling rigid, aren’t you?” she questioned.

“What does ‘rigid’ mean?”

Yoona gave a small smile, “That you’re still quite upset.”

“I’ll admit to that but I’ve said before, we’re already through.” Donghae told. “Sound rough? But that’s me. I don’t want to beat around the bush, Yoona.”

“I get you,” she sympathized. “But the wedding…”

“There won’t be a wedding unless you want to be walking down the aisle alone.” Donghae explained. “You may hate me for how I am and you may still be hoping for another chance, but I already made it clear the last time we ate together. I don’t want to sugar coat my words. It’ll all be meaningless lies.”

“I guess this has all become insignificant.” Yoona replied. “Ok, that’s fine. I’m cool with however things turn out, but can I ask you something?”

Donghae nodded.

“Are you really seeing someone else?”

Donghae stared at her, “I’m not seeing her that way, if that’s what my mom told you. I’m interested in her, that’s different. It feels different, uniquely different this time around. I don’t feel like I need to wait for her to understand me nor for us to be thinking the same things. Instead it feels like she needs someone to understand her and I feel like going all out for her.”

Yoona turned away from his eyes. The way he said it, he was serious about it.

“They say that when you think you know someone, that’s when you don’t know them.” Yoona said. “I’m beginning to agree with that.” She inhaled and nodded to hide the disappointment she felt. “Ok, I won’t stop you. Good luck, Hae.”


***This shall be my last update. Spring semester starts on Monday for me, so if I get extremely busy I probably won't update daily anymore. :(