51

Defence

 

- - - - -
 
Yoona slept peacefully with a clear mind for the first time in 14 years that night and awoke early. Full of energy she decided to make breakfast. After her parents awoke they ate a blissful meal together and when her father left for work, Yoona found herself sitting in front of the television set enjoying some cartoon shows she’d never seen before. 
 
Rarely in her life since she’d started walking the path of a Sherriff Deputy had she woken up feeling so carefree. There was nothing to worry about, nothing to research about, no note in her mind to seek evidence for a case, no unanswered questions pondered in her mind. With Victoria by her side again, Yoona just wanted to bathe in the overwhelming happiness she was feeling.  
 
- - - - -
 
Taecyeon helped the struggling Victoria up from the bed and helped her walk toward the kitchen even though she had tried to reject his help. 
 
“I’ll be returning to work today so I prepared some food beforehand. You just have to preheat it and it’ll be ok to eat. Don’t eat any cold food, ok?” he reminded before walking out. 
 
“Yea, yea. Listening to you is already painful enough,” Victoria waved him off from the couch. 
 
“If you need anything just call,” he told. “I’ll be stopping by on my break to make sure you’re eating.” 
 
“You don’t need to come back. I’ll be perfectly fine,” she assured. 
 
“Says you,” he stated. “I’m off.” 
 
On the drive to work he stood around restlessly wondering and worrying if she’d really be ok by herself. He still didn’t like the idea of leaving her by herself in the apartment. Of course, she’d worry about that man barging into the apartment…but it’d be more worrisome of if it happened to her alone. For all she knew, he didn’t want her to be fighting someone by herself. 
 
“Taec,” the receptionist loudly called from behind. 
 
He whipped around to look at her. 
 
“Aish…what are you so engrossed into thinking about? The CEO’s gal?” the receptionist asked. 
 
“Says who?” 
 
The receptionist shook her head, “Didn’t you say to tell you when it’s 12? Get going on your break already. Be back on time so I can get going on my break as well.” 
 
“Ah…yes. Thanks for the reminder.” he told quickly taking off his walkie-talkie.
 
“You’re the one who said to remind you of the time,” she said under breath while watching him walk out. 
 
- - - - -
 
It was when Victoria found her cell phone in the room that she finally discovered there were 72 missed calls, 70 voice mails, and 60 text messages from Donghae. Why had he so desperately tried to get in contact with her? It had only been three days without seeing him. Suddenly she felt overwhelmed after listening to his frantic voice in the voicemail. 
 
Pulling the phone away from her ear she deleted his messages and just stared at the screen. Why was she feeling so complexed? Had she foolishly triggered some difficulties for herself without being aware? It was stupid to only realize it now. 
 
Donghae, who had been almost married to Yoona, had turned down the wedding because of her. And now when Yoona, who had almost moved on, was beginning to build some feelings for Taecyeon…
 
The kiss in the hospital flew to her mind. 
 
What was all that? What had she done? What had she done to herself? What had she done to him? 
 
Why had it taken so long just to transmit everything into her mind? What was she thinking exactly? Victoria couldn’t sort out her tangled thoughts. Did it really have to be that way? 
 
The doorbell rang causing her to turn her head. She stared at the door for a long moment as if the door would open itself. Who was it? Who had come? 
 
“Victoria?” that voice, the voice she found herself liking after a while. 
 
Why had he come? She stared at the door a while more. 
 
“Victoria!” 
 
To answer the door or not? 
 
When the he began knocking on the door, Victoria felt her thoughts rush. What to do? And then without an answer she got up and unlocked the door. Donghae stared back at her expressionless then smiled. 
 
“Where’ve you been? I’ve been trying to see you…but I couldn’t find you.” he explained. 
 
“Why?” she asked. 
 
“Just to see you, I just wanted to see you,” he told then gave her a tight hug. 
 
As he pressed her against him she could feel the cold air on his jacket. Unsure if she should hug him back she just stood there limp in his arms. When he let go of her he glanced at her and pushed her hair behind her ears. 
 
“Are you sick?” he asked. “You look pale.” 
 
“No,” she lied. 
 
He smiled and brushed a hand through her hair holding the side of her head observing her for a long time. 
 
“Is something wrong?” she wondered. 
 
He shook his head, “No, I just wanted to look at you a while more. Where’s your jacket? I bet you’re hungry.” 
 
Victoria glanced back down the hall toward the bedroom door then recalled Taecyeon’s reminder of preheating the food he’d prepared for her that morning. What was it? Tacyeon’s food or Donghae’s treat for lunch? How could she reject him without feeling awful? How could she leave Taecyeon’s food without feeling guilty? 
 
What to do? 
 
“Victoria?” he called her name again. 
 
“Oh…” Victoria turned back to him. “It’s…in the room…” 
 
After having said that she had no choice but to retrieve her jacket and head out with him. While walking out the door she couldn’t help but look back toward the kitchen to where Taecyeon’s meal for her sat coldly. 
 
Donghae opened the door for her at the bottom stairs and as she walked out she came to a slight pause when meeting face to face with Taecyeon. Victoria slightly turned her head back to glance at Donghae, who was somewhat behind her. Under the afternoon sun the tree branches whished and whooshed by the road as the wind crawled by. 
 
“Where are you going?” Taecyeon was first to speak. 
 
“Heading out for lunch,” Donghae spoke before Victoria could coming up to her side. 
 
Victoria didn’t like the feel she was getting from both men. At first she would have gone back inside to let them fight it out themselves outside…but the situation wasn’t the same anymore. 
 
“Yah,” Taecyeon started, “you shouldn’t be going anywhere right now.” 
 
Victoria was ready to talk but Donghae interrupted her once more, “You can’t tell her that. She already consented to go out with me.” 
 
“You don’t even know anything,” Taecyeon’s voice suddenly grew a tone more serious. 
 
“Why’d you come back?” Victoria asked. 
 
He turned to look at her, “To check up on you.” 
 
Donghae stared at them, “What’s going on?” 
 
“It’s not something for you to worry about, go back,” Taecyeon insisted. 
 
“Who do you think you’re talking to?” Donghae spouted back. 
 
“To you,” Taecyeon answered. “Who do you think I’m talking to?” 
 
“It’s ok,” Victoria cut in, almost reaching a hand out to Taecyeon. 
 
He stared at her gesture expecting her to say she wouldn’t go with Donghae, but instead she withdrew her hand from him and stuck it into the pocket of her jacket. 
 
“I’ll be ok.” was all she said. “I’ll come straight back, anyhow.” 
 
Taecyeon frowned at her watching as she turned toward Donghae. Donghae shot one last glance at him before walking toward his car. 
 
Victoria felt a flush of guilt as she got into the car. She could just as easily said no to Donghae as she’d said to Taecyeon…but it’d better this way. Taecyeon was always watching out for her one way or another. This time she just wanted him to turn around and look out for himself. Maybe then, he’d realize that Yoona wanted his attention. 
 
- - - - -
 
Taecyeon watched as Donghae’s car sped off toward the traffic light and turned away snorting angrily. 
 
“Psh! You think that you’re so great, that you’re invincible?” he muttered. “Fine, we’ll see if you can handle everything yourself.” 
 
- - - - -
 
“Are you ok?” Donghae asked glancing at Victoria in the passenger’s seat. “Did something happen that I don’t know?” 
 
“Nothing happened,” Victoria lied staring out of the window. 
 
In her mind she could still see Taecyeon’s stiff expression as he became smaller and smaller in the side mirror. It was already predicted that he’d blow up at her when he returned to the apartment that evening. 
 
After taking out the keys from the ignition Donghae walked into the restaurant. When their food arrived at the rounded table draped in a nice purple cloth Victoria couldn’t enjoy her meal comfortably. 
 
“Is it ok if we go visit my mother after lunch?” Donghae questioned. 
 
“Your mother?” Victoria repeated looking up at Donghae, who sat across from her. 
 
He nodded enthusiastically, “She’d like to apologize for that incident on Sunday. And besides we could get some things cleared up.”
 
“What things?” Victoria felt confused. 
 
“Your background and if we could get in touch with your parents,” he began. 
 
Victoria felt her heart thud loudly. Her parents? Her background? 
 
“My mom would like it if we could get married.” he smiled happily. 
 
Victoria felt none other than a voice of panic grow inside her. It was all impossible. She didn’t want the position that Yoona almost got. 
 
“I don’t know,” Victoria was quick to divert her gaze elsewhere. 
 
“Why not?” he asked. “I don’t feel as if it’s a bad decision.” 
 
“Why?” she questioned. “It’s a rash decision, don’t you think?” 
 
“I don’t feel the same way. I’m positive about this,” he tried. 
 
Victoria didn’t feel the same way…but how could she say it? Why did she have to take such a blow? Why did he have to feel that way? 
 
“I can let you think about it then we can officially start working things out once you give me your answer. How about that?” he offered. “I know you might be confused and feeling as if I’m rushing, but I’m sure about this. I can give you time, I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable.” 
 
Victoria couldn’t reply. 
 
“I won’t bother you about it until you decide on it,” he promised. “Lets finish our meal.” 

***YES!!! Spring break! That calls for more updates!! =D 

***Oh yes, and I'm almost near the ending of the story on word processor!! Hoohoo!