13

Defence

- - - - -

Drifting through the sky the plane finally landed back in Seoul in the late evening. Yoona got off in an upset manner and she wasn’t afraid to show it. After grabbing her bag she walked out of the airport, hailed a cab, and instead of going home at once she headed to the station. If she didn’t sit down at once and concentrate on something she was afraid she’d let her hands fly at someone like crazy. The anxiety was gathering up in her and she knew she’d blow anytime soon.

The station was a tough building built out of tough gray cement. Walls were evened smoothly during construction, the windows lined the walls every few feet. A large oak tree stood by the side of the stairs outside. It was a plain place. Well, in that case the place hadn’t been made for sight seeing. Because it was big people usually assumed that they kept prisoners in the basement and in that case the answer was a plain: no. The station wasn’t a prison, it was more like an office area where the police actually worked and got things done. The west wing was the smaller area where small time police workers usually interrogated the usual criminals and drunkards of everyday life. The east wing, where Yoona was positioned, did the bigger jobs dealing with the actual state and managed the city of Seoul. And that was exactly where Yoona was headed.

Wheeling her suitcase behind her she ignored all comments and greetings thrown at her.

“What you doing back Sheriff?”

“How did the mission go?’

“That’s some style you have there, bringing your suitcase.” a particular joke, which Yoona did not find funny. It, however, irked her and she increased her pace to avoid grabbing someone like a punching bag.

Turning down the bright corridor she saw the Chief rounding the hallway and they stopped once they saw each other.

The Chief closed the shutters inside his office as Yoona sat on the chair in front of his desk. Placing a cup of warm tea in front of her he moved around his desk inching through the small space he had and finally sat down on his chair.

“Lee Jung Hwa called as soon as the plane landed. He’s got a lot of complaints toward you, do you understand?” the Chief started.

Yoona kept her gaze elsewhere like a little girl throwing a tantrum.

“I thought the mission would have gone better if you were out there with them, but the case doesn’t seem so.” the Chief began. “What happened?”

“Well, they aren’t suited to be FBI agents either,” Yoona spat. “Lee Jung Hwa and Lee Hyemi or whatever aren’t suited to be FBI agents. They at it.”

“Deputy!” the Chief scolded leaning forward in his seat.

Yoona bit her tongue from actually shouting.

“What-happened-out-there?” the Chief asked again emphasizing each word loud and clearly.

He was serious and he wasn’t about to take any jokes from Yoona, she knew that. The Chief was a scary person when he was angry. The papers could come flying off his desk in seconds and pencils could come flying anytime. However scary as that sounded, it didn’t matter to Yoona. Flying pencils? Sure, Yoona could take that on. Paper cuts? Well, Yoona wasn’t so whiny when it came to getting hurt.

“Deputy, answer me. What happened out there?” the Chief questioned. “Why were there reports about you misbehaving during the infiltration?”

Yoona gritted her teeth. “It wasn’t my fault!!! It wasn’t my fault!!!” She screamed. “I don’t know what happened!!!!!!!”

She slammed the desk in frustration with all her might that her hand stung immediately almost numbing her whole arm. In surprise she found that her lips were shaking from fierce anger and her eyes quivered as she stared at her Chief whose eyes grew wide during that moment.

“What happened out there?” he reemphasized each word slowly remaining calm behind the desk.

Yoona finally found it within her somewhere to remain calm. Tears of frustration welled up in her eyes uncontrollably. To her as a Sheriff Deputy, to be crying in front of another person at work meant she’d lost. And it was a big shame to her at this moment.

The Chief kept his eyes on her waiting.

“They spoke about her,” Yoona started, her voice in a low whisper. “That man….” Yoona gulped, “was there that night 14 years back.” Yoona gripped her hand into a fist. “He said…Victoria’s still alive.”

- - - - -

Victoria sneezed so hard that her nose burned.

“Aish!!” she moaned grabbing a towel to wipe the snot that almost came flying.

After throwing the towel away she moved toward the TV and opened the cabinet underneath. She discovered DVDs all lined up next to each other neatly.

“Hmm? What are these?” she asked grabbing out some Disney movies then some other ones. “Wow…” she commented running her hand over the silver, shiny part of the DVD. “I saw these but have never touched these directly. How weird.”

She glanced at the DVD before her then wondered how to play it.

- - - - -

The Chief had excused Yoona and had directed her to remain in her office during the meanwhile. Seeing how unstable she was made him fear that she might do something reckless. In his still office with the faint stench of smoke from his cigarette earlier he looked up when the door opened and a tall well built man of graying hair walked in. He looked stunningly charming in his blue suit that his wife had ironed for him that morning.

“Sit down,” the Chief greeted. “How’s it been going?”

“Just perfect. I was surprised when you called. Did you want to meet up for a smoke?” asked Chief Im patting his pocket where his cigarette box was.

The Chief smiled, “How about later? I need to talk to you about something regarding your daughter.”

“My daughter?” Chief Im questioned.

The Chief nodded. “The mission was a fail and the blame is on her.”

“What? Why?” Chief Im did not sound pleased as he leaned forward concerned.

“Remember the friend who disappeared during camp when they both went off at night?” the Chief asked. “It seems the man who died during the infiltration told her something about Victoria. Yoona’s not well right now and I also fear that she may want to open the case on her own which I can’t allow. But you know, she takes after you. She’s prideful and rash.”

“That young girl, Victoria Song?” Chief Im asked. “She’s still alive?”

The Chief nodded, “I don’t know if he meant it, but Yoona believes it. I don’t trust her making it back home alone so I wanted to notify you ahead of time. She’s in her office.”

- - - - -

Yoona looked up when her door opened and her father walked in.

“Evening,” her dad greeted. “I heard you came back safe.”

“More like beat up,” Yoona replied organizing the papers she’d left in a mess on her desk. “What are you doing here? I take it as the Chief called you in?”

“No. I just wanted to see you.”

“I’m not stupid,” Yoona said without looking up at him anymore. “Go home. I want to head to the gym before.”

“The gym should be closed.”

“Not the gym in the station.”

“Go home. I’m already off duty.”

“Why?” Yoona questioned looking up. “You think I might head back to Kwangju on my own?”

“Mom’s waiting with a cold dinner. Come on.”

On the drive home Yoona scrolled down the window. It helped to have the cold air numb her face. She found it relaxing and she also recalled that Victoria liked having her face freeze from the cold too. When the wind blew sometimes, she’d also feel as if Victoria were standing against the wind allowing her face to go numb as well. Blowing cold and cool, the wind felt like a connection between the two of them and Yoona wanted to defend that wind. Whether it be warm or cold she wanted to defend the only connection they had left. Probably because of that wind-that invisible defense she held, Yoona had never lost the faith that her friend was still alive.

- - - - -

“Where were you?” his mother’s voice greeted him from the doorway.

“Don’t you miss me? How come I get such a greeting when I just got in?” Donghae asked slipping his shoes off.

“Yoona’s back.”

“Oh.” Donghae moved his eyes off his mother’s face.

“Don’t ‘Oh’. Why don’t you go see her?”

“This time of night?” Donghae questioned. “I just got back, I’m tired, I’m hungry. Is there food in the kitchen? Did you cook tonight? You didn’t, did you?”

“Of course, there’s chicken soup waiting for you in the kitchen. Aish,” his mother shook her head, “don’t change the subject on me.”

“You switched the subject on me, too. I’m going to take a shower. I feel so dirty from the plane ride.” Donghae told. “Can you warm up the chicken soup for me? Thanks! Love you mom!”

He jumped up the staircase before he could hear his mother’s voice rapping at him from behind.

In his room he just stared at his bare desk. Donghae had made no move to get changed or take a shower, he just stood there. He had no desire to see Yoona, yet. It didn’t feel like the time to talk to her. Amidst his busy life he wasn’t sure when he’d find time to see her and he also knew that Yoona was busy herself. He’d make a move when he felt he was ready.

- - - - -

Yoona entered her room with her suitcase after claiming that she wasn’t hungry and well…that was the truth. She wasn’t hungry and she didn’t have the energy to just stick food down and chew. There was no appetite in her.

After unpacking she found the picture of her and Donghae that she’d flipped over just nights ago standing back up. Eyes staring at her along with those smiles. She assumed her mother had walked into her room while she’d been out.

“I’m through with this. I’m tired. Just go. I’m not going to wait.”

Yoona laughed and felt angry tears arise in her eyes. She didn’t want to go running to him either. If she went to him for some comfort in the end it’d mean she’d lost.

“Well…I don’t care either.” Yoona muttered.

She stared at the picture, however. They still needed to talk about the wedding, which was next week. Could it still go on? For once she began wondering about her wedding again.

- - - - -

“How does this work?” asked Victoria pointing to the DVD player. “I don’t understand.”

“What?” Taecyeon asked. “Are you serious? Did you float in from Mars or what?”

Victoria just stared at him.

“This button here.” Taecyeon told pressing it and just like magic a disc injector slid out. “Then put the DVD in here then just play it. Is it really that hard? Or have you been pampered all your life?”

“I wouldn’t say pamper,” Victoria told.

Taecyeon glanced at his watch then groaned, “See, now because of you I’m going to be late for work.”

“Why would it matter? You hate that place, don’t you?” she asked.

He hesitated then shook his head then scolded before walking out, “Clean up around the place for once!!”  

“What a whiner,” Victoria commented as the door closed shut.

Turning back to the DVDs she wondered about which one to watch first. After deciding on Windstruck she inserted the DVD in and sat on the couch becoming absorbed in the movie as soon as it started. It had been ages since she’d just sat down and seen something like it. And even as she watched she didn’t quite understand what was going on.

The ringing of the doorbell caught her attention and she got up to open the door. A smiling Donghae greeted her.


***In case if you have never seen it "Windstruck" is the popular movie that premiered in 2004 in Korea with Jang Hyuk and Jun Ji Hyun. The movie acts as a foreshadow in this story, if you get what I mean. If you've seen the movie before then you can understand what is yet to come in this story.