11

Defence

The cars were hidden from sight about 200 yards from what looked like a large storage shed with dozens of garage doors. Where they were going to enter was kind of obvious and Yoona felt against the idea. But because she was just a follower, her opinion did not matter. How she hated not being in charge.

Hyemi’s group had stayed behind. Her group’s role was to hand out orders through the bugs Jung Hwa’s group had on them. A listening device had been plugged into each of their ears and they were to pay attention every second, every minute.

Yoona crouched against the wall with the others feeling her bulletproof jacket which added a lot to her weight. They were all silent, no one breathed even one ounce of air. Jung Hwa, in his blue collared shirt, got up and kicked the white door open and held his gun in front of him glancing into the darkness.

Yoona glanced around her taking in her surroundings as she’d been taught by her father. To remember and write every single detail into memory. 3 large sheds stood in front of them and there were more down her right. A fence closed them in marking the private property. As her eyes gazed over the fence she saw a tiny black dot on the white roof of the shed to her immediate right.

“Move!” Yoona shouted.

“What the…” Jung Hwa started as three shots fired at them.

The 10 of them moved to the back of the shed where they would remain hidden from sight.

“What was that?! You could have gotten us all killed!” one of the woman screamed at her.

“No, I saw him too,” one of them defended. “Thanks for telling us. One of us could have gotten injured if Deputy Im didn’t say anything.”

Jung Hwa gave Yoona slight glare.

“Move back,” he insisted and moved toward the corner of the shed.

He glanced out to see the roof empty.

“No one.” he replied.

“What happened?” Hyemi’s voice appeared in their ears.

“Someone’s been watching us,” Jung Hwa told. “Can you find out who it is?”

“Give me a minute.” was her reply. “To your left.”

“Dodge!” Jung Hwa shouted.

Yoona got down along with the others listening to the bullet shells bounce off the sheds for minutes on end.

“Lets split up.” Jung Hwa ushered. “We can’t all stay in one area.” he glanced around. “Deputy Im, you four follow Deputy Im. Your assignment is to look around for any suspicious activity. Shoot if you need to defend yourself. I’m going to head inside the shed. Hyemi will be on air listening if you need directions. Got it?”

Yoona nodded.

“Move!” Jung Hwa urged.

Yoona crept out from behind the shed and ran behind another shed as the bullet shells rained on them.

“Do you know what you’re doing?!” one of them questioned.

“I’m in charge,” Yoona stated, “follow me or go back and join that group.”

Yoona stared at the man and clutched onto her gun. Well, if she were to look around she might as well run around as much as she would that night. And she wasn’t letting the chance go to waste.

“On the count to three, once we run out shoot,” Yoona whispered.

“Why? It’s a waste of bullets! We don’t even know if anyone’s there!”

“Look,” Yoona nodded her head toward the fence where the moonlight shone exactly. “Can you not see shadows? They’re giving themselves away. There’s four of them.” Yoona paused. “Go!”

Her legs moved under her and the light breeze brushed her face as she held her arm out pulling the trigger multiple times. The bodies from above toppled down as the others quickly followed her to another shed.

“Wow! You’ve actually got it in you!” one of them patted her back.

“Not the time. I’m going to head around that way. Watch my back.” Yoona ordered.

The four of them nodded and glanced around carefully being sure to hide themselves in the dark. Yoona gulped as she crept out from the shadows, crouching. She looked around and moved around the corner stopping where the door stood. Pushing the door open Yoona hid herself from sight waiting for someone to shoot out from inside but there was nothing. Slowly getting up she pointed her gun inside. No one. The lights were on, but no one was there. However, someone swung down from above and kicked Yoona inside.

Yoona fell forward onto the hard ground and her gun flew from her hand sliding across the floor as she heard the door close from behind. She turned around to find a man of 30 years staring at her.

“Evening, Sheriff Deputy Im.” he smiled, his graying hair scattered in a mess speckled with his black hair.

“Who are you?” she couldn’t recognize him.

“Aren’t you the girl from 14 years ago who lost her friend in the woods?”

Yoona felt her heart race, close, and her hands shake from the anger that was suddenly flashing in her.

“You are, aren’t you?” he teased.

“Where is she?!!!” Yoona screamed still unable to get up, her gun lost from her mind.

The man smiled down at her, “Do you want to know what she’s doing right now? Or if she’s dead or alive?”

Yoona’s eyes grew wide with fury, “Where is she!!”

He laughed enjoying every moment.

“Is she dead or alive, I asked.”

“Don’t tease me.” Yoona warned.

The man smiled, “Why? Are you still searching for her?”

Yoona could only stare at him. Her hand formed into a fist that instant.

“She’s alive…and well.”

Yoona felt slightly open before three loud shots echoed in the air.

“Deputy!!” the voice shouted from behind the fallen man.

Yoona stared as his bloody body dropped to the ground before her. A flux of emotions flew through her body and she crawled forward on all four until she reached him. Grabbing him by his collar she screamed down at him.

“Yah!!! Where is she?!! Where is she!!! What’ve you done to her!!! Get up and tell me!! Tell me before you die!!!!” Yoona screamed as tears erupted in her eyes, but only the whites of his eyes stared back at her.

- - - - -

Donghae walked into his house to be greeted by his mother at the doorway. He gave a shout of surprise and in return received a slap on the arm.

“Don’t act all surprised with me.” she scolded. “I have to talk to you, right now.”

“I’m hungry. Let me eat first,” he whined taking his shoes off.

“You follow me right now,” she grabbed his arm and led him into the gathering room forcing him to sit down.

Donghae reluctantly relaxed in his chair and glanced back at his mother.

“Have I ever told you that you look like the fairy godmother…” he started but stopped when his mother tossed a pillow at him.

Donghae caught it, “I’ve got good reflexes, you know?”

“Don’t even joke with me,” she slapped his leg.

“Ow!” he cowered behind the pillow.

“I’m serious,” she started, “are you seeing someone else? Or do you have someone else in mind?”

“What?”

“Don’t act like you have hard hearing.”

“Don’t you have hard hearing? Then I got it from you.” Donghae smiled.

“Shut up,” she snapped, “answer me. Do you have another woman you’re seeing?”

“Why?”

“I said answer me!”

Donghae paused as if to think about it, “Do you think I do? You better blame father for the good genes.”

“Yah!!” his mother screamed.

Donghae laughed, “Why? Are you concerned?”

“Of course, I am!”

“I don’t know, so don’t worry about it,” Donghae told getting up.

“Yah!!! If you do, I won’t tolerate it!” she shouted as he climbed up the stairs.

Donghae just waved to her from behind. He wasn’t interested in anyone else was he? Closing the door to his bedroom he finally recalled he was hungry.

- - - - -

“What did you just do?!” Lee Jung Hwa shouted smacking the table for the umpteenth time.

Yoona remained frozen in her seat. Her emotions flying up in swirls.

“You were not to act alone nor be alone with them!” Lee Jung Hwa screamed. “Our plan failed! We ended up with nothing but a dead body!”

Yoona didn’t say anything. She had nothing to say about what she’d just learned and she wasn’t about to share anything personal.

“Sir, I killed him,” one of the deputies started.

“You, shut up!” Lee Jung Hwa scolded with his voice booming off the walls. “You call yourselves deputies?! What a shame! No wonder there are so many gangsters roaming the streets! Our crime level in Korea is rising by the second! And what are our deputies doing?! Hanging out with the idiots!”

Yoona gritted her teeth.

“You’re all excused. This mission ends here.” Lee Jung Hwa grinded his teeth. “Hyemi, get tickets ready. We’re heading back to headquarters.”

With a thick glare everybody left the room silently. Yoona, however, remained glued in her seat feeling deep anguish. If that deputy hadn’t been so quick to kill, Yoona would have been able to hear more about Victoria. Nothing else entered her mind.

- - - - -

“The Director? Really?!” Secetary Jung asked with both eyebrows above his forehead.

“Yes,” the man on the other end of the phone nodded, “he’s at a villa in Busan right now.”

“I understand. Thanks so much officer,” Secretary Jung thanked then hung up the phone. “Well, I guess I have no choice but to call the boss in right now.”