42

Defence

“Thank you,” she continued, “and sorry. Not once, have I used those two phrases. Do you want to know why I didn’t go into the fitting room that time?”

For once, Donghae noted, her eyes never left his.

“There was once where I was locked up in a cold dungeon with no clothes. I sat, lied, slept, and ate on cold dry cement. Whenever I find myself in a small area I would recall those days and freak out.” she paused.

Why was she talking about these things? Victoria didn’t know. Maybe she wanted him to know how she’d been treated, how she’d grown up, maybe she just wanted him to know.

“You asked who Jung Mo was. The reason why he’s the most memorable person to me during all this time is because he was always there. During the time I was locked up he gave me his meals just so I wouldn’t starve. Every morning he waited for me just so that I wouldn’t get picked on. This…is not humane, is it?”

Donghae felt his heart sink. It was the first time in his life that he’d heard of someone being treated so cruelly and to actually see that person stand in front of him. His heart ached and he felt angry with those people who’d treated her like that.

“There’s a reason why I let myself forget all these,” Victoria explained. “I can’t go back.”

- - - - -

Yoona glanced back at him. She wanted to say it but it didn’t come. The words so simply aligned within her memory but they were so hard to arrange into the language that he’d understand. It was hard…she didn’t understand why she was hesitating…or why she felt so scared to just say it. She had forgotten the last time she’d had a hard time saying anything. Taecyeon stared back at her waiting for her to answer.

Her phone rang interrupting the moment. Yoona felt her hopes fall down drastically. She felt as if she was losing the only chance she’d ever get.

To answer her phone or to say those three words?

Why was making a decision so difficult? It reminded her of the time when she was at the store with her mother. To get this or that?

“Your phone…” he began.

On impulse Yoona reached for her phone without checking to see who it was first.

“Hello?” she answered.

“Yoona, are you busy at this moment?” it was Donghae’s mother.

“What is it?” she asked feeling an odd vibe from over the phone.

“Would you mind stopping by for a minute? I’d like to speak with you.” her voice was calmly serious.

Yoona felt her become immersed with the conversation, yet she also wanted to decline.

“Yes.” she replied before hanging up, but even so she didn’t budge.

“Who is it?” Taecyeon questioned. “Did something happen?”

Yoona glanced at the floor feeling awfully regretful. “I’m sorry, for intruding like this.”

“What’s going on?” he curiously wondered.

Yoona got up, “Lets talk…for real next time, ok?”

“Will you tell me about what today was about then?”

Yoona pressed her lips together, “Sure.”

After walking out Yoona felt like smacking her head.

“Aish!! Are you crazy?!” she shouted at herself in the car then stared at her phone questioning why Donghae’s mother had to call at that moment.

- - - - -

Donghae wanted to hug her, to give her some comfort that she’d accept from him but he wasn’t sure about what to do. A hug wouldn’t make up for all that she’d gone through. He hated to wonder about what else they’d done to her during all that time. However, before anything else his phone began ringing.

“Hello?” he asked turning away from Victoria so that only his side profile was seen.

“Where are you?” it was his mother.

“Why?”

“If you’re on your date, why don’t you bring your girlfriend over? Lets have a nice meal together.”

Donghae glanced at Victoria, “Are you serious?”

“Of course,” his mother continued, “there’s also some things I’d like to go over with her.”

“Mom,” he started.

“I’ll do it in front of you. If you think I’m being overly excessive you can stop me,” she convinced. “Be here soon.”

She hung up without warning and Donghae found himself feeling confused as he turned to look at Victoria.

“What?” she asked.

“My mom…wants to see you.”

She frowned.

“My home is close by. It’ll take less than ten minutes to make it there,” he explained.

Confused Victoria followed along without saying anything.  

The trip was short as he’d promised. Within ten short minutes they were at the gates to his superior brick home. Once she stepped out of his car she glanced at the short steps leading toward the happy red door. She glanced around during that short second to see a large green empty yard filled with only an empty table. It looked as if it was set to look like it was in the middle of nowhere. In her memory she recalled running around a green yard before Donghae’s voice pulled her back to the present.

“Come in,” he said.

Victoria followed him in and took her shoes off after him. She timidly allowed her eyes to look over every inch of the house. It was a home that had been delicately made.

“The madam is in the room waiting,” one of the maids greeted.

Victoria stared at the old maid with curly red hair. She was immediately reminded her caretaker, Mrs. Kim.

“My mom is waiting for us,” Donghae told turning back.

Victoria looked at him wondering what kind of a situation she’d gotten herself into. The last she remembered of his mother was when she was out rightly insulting her, her parents, and Donghae. Was this going to be another good meeting?

Following Donghae down the short hallway she turned right into a large room with a large portrait hanging over the fireplace overlooking the room lovingly. So Donghae was a single child, just like her.

“Sit down,” Donghae’s mother greeted.

Donghae led her into the room to the large couch adjacent to the recliner his mother was sitting in.

“Would you like anything to drink? We can provide you with anything,” his mother said to Victoria, who stared back cautiously.

“No, I’m fine.” she replied.

Donghae’s mother coldly smiled, “Even if you’re a guest, saying that you’d like a cup of water would be respectful. Have you never visited an elder before?”

“Mom,” Donghae warned.

Donghae’s mother took an easy breath, “Bring it in.”

A woman in a blue uniform walked into the room with a newspaper, which Donghae’s mother took in a swiftly manner.

“Mom, what is it that you wanted to say,” Donghae asked. “Victoria has things to do, too.”

“Why are you in such a rush?” his mother questioned before turning to Victoria. “Who are your parents? You must know their names at least.”

Victoria stared back confused at the moment.

“Mom,” Donghae called.

“Be quiet,” his mother scolded without turning to look at him. “Where are you from? What kind of work do your parents do?”

Victoria gulped. She wasn’t going to allow any of it to happen. She wasn’t going to recall anything she didn’t want to. She wasn’t going to allow this woman, who used her power recklessly, to push her around. Yet, when all these thoughts were flowing into her brain she didn’t do anything.

Donghae’s mother took a loud breath before placing a newspaper in front of her laying it out carefully so that the creases in it wouldn’t cause a distraction to the headline: Chairman Song’s 12 year old daughter still missing.

During that moment Victoria felt her heart fly up to . Her heart ran faster than ever. No, they couldn’t discover who she was. Everything would become messed up.

Donghae felt his eyes become wide with surprise.

“Mom,” he said.

“You’re Chairman Song’s missing daughter, aren’t you?” Donghae’s mother confronted.

“Mom! What do you expect by doing this?!” Donghae exploded.

Yet, Victoria still tried her best to remain composed. If she reacted she’d surely lose control of the situation and allow herself to be found out. And that moment was one of the most critical where she needed control. She took a silent breath. How many times in those 14 years had she come close with death? Many. So, she wasn’t about to lose her grip just yet.  

“It’s not me,” Victoria plainly stated.

“What?!” the woman’s voice outraged asked.

From beside her she could feel Donghae turn to stare at her. She assumed that he was bewildered with her reply.

“It’s not me.” she repeated.

“You…” the woman began.

“Are you insulting me with this girl who could have died?” Victoria questioned. “I thought you were rich. Shouldn’t you have at least found some useful evidence to use against me? Do you really hate me for sticking around with your son?”

“You…” the woman gasped.

“Well then, I’m sorry to disappoint you that I can’t turn away from him either. He is a really good person. How can you say no to a face like his? Is this all?” Victoria smiled before getting up. “Then…I’ll see you again.”

With a bow Victoria turned away and headed for the door calmly. However, as she turned around the corner she found Yoona standing in the hallway staring back at her. After a glance at her, Victoria passed her and exited through the door.

“Where are you going! Where are you going?!” Donghae’s mother shrieked as Donghae followed Victoria down the hallway.

He also came to a pause when he spotted Yoona standing there. Without a word he passed her and followed Victoria out.

- - - - -

“Yah!!” his mother screamed running out of the room but stopped once she sighted Yoona. “Yoona…”

“What…just happened?” Yoona questioned.

“Ah…Yoona..” Donghae’s mother began. “You came on time…”

“What did you show them?” she said each word slowly.

“Just…you should know about it, I’m pretty sure you know about it.” the woman hesitated at Yoona’s stare.

The fact that Yoona was a Deputy Sherriff suddenly became a highlight that choked her from words. Yoona walked pass her and into the gathering room to the table where the newspaper sat.