36

Defence

- - - - -

Taecyeon hung up and glanced down the road. The terminal was about ten blocks away. But he might be able to get their faster since traffic was slow. Running in between cars was no problem.

- - - - -

Donghae sped down the sidewalk as fast as his legs would carry him. The terminal wasn’t too far away. Why hadn’t he thought of it sooner?

- - - - -

Chatter filled the area and Victoria remained still on the bench she was sitting on. With her hair tied up and her ponytail strung through the back of her hat she was sure that even Jung Min and So Young would mistake her for a high school student. Clutching onto the purse with her gun hidden in it she stared at the crowd forming around her.

She’d given her clothes away to some homeless woman on the street while on her way to the terminal. Now with just her purse Victoria didn’t know where she would go next…but whatever happened would happen. She only hoped that the others wouldn’t come searching for her. Victoria knew she needed to move fast. Yoona was a Sherriff and she could look for her fast.

While she stared on into the empty train tracks Victoria felt her mind flow off. To the moment she’d been hit to the moment Donghae had discovered her in the apartment. It was too bad she couldn’t meet up with him and give him her farewell…but she’d make it look too obvious. Victoria felt her heart take a leap painfully.

“Only good things should be remembered.” Donghae had said that.

Victoria smiled silently thanking him for the memory. After she left Seoul, she promised not to go back into her memories. This had all started only because she’d returned to her hometown.

The loud rumbling of a gigantic machine vibrated the ground underneath her feet and Victoria looked up to find the silver train heading their way at such speed that if anyone jumped in they’d die instantly. Victoria stood up ready with the crowd to go in and find the best seat. An announcement sounded overhead and Victoria waited as the doors opened with a loud gasping noise. People inside exited before the crowd began to make their way in. People beside her pushed and pulled that it was hard to make her way in. When she finally took a step forward she felt something pull her back.

So Young?! Jung Min?!
 
Victoria glanced up to find Taecyeon staring down at her angrily, yet a sign of relief overcame his expression.

“Thanks?” he snorted quietly. “You owe me more than that.”

Victoria felt dumbstruck. She had never expected anyone to come after her.

“Stay…” he interrupted her thoughts.

Her eyes burned and her stomach lurched.

“Stay…because I don’t believe that you did it.” he told. “Stay.”

Victoria felt her eyes grow big when he pulled her into a hug. It was then that she began crying all that she’d been keeping in.

“I’m scared…” she sobbed against his shoulder.

- - - - -

Yoona pushed her way against the people and shrugged their curses at her off her shoulders. What mattered more than getting to the terminal on time? As she rounded the corner she came to a tough pause. In front of her Donghae stood with his hand held into a tight grip. Looking pass him she saw why.

The sight of Taecyeon and Victoria hugging created a small throb in her somewhere. But she was more relieved. Victoria hadn’t gone anywhere.

“Thank you. Thank you.” Yoona silently thanked the heavens above.

Swallowing the clog in she took a step forward and put her hand on Donghae’s arm in an effort to comfort him as he’d done for her back in Taecyeon’s gym when Victoria had left her behind. Donghae turned to look at her, the most hurt expression she’d ever seen from him, engraved on his face.

When Victoria and Taecyeon finally made their way toward them they came to a hesitated stop. The four of them stared at each other for the third time.

Victoria turned her face away. She felt ashamed to see all of them standing there staring at her like she’d done nothing wrong. Through her ears she could hear someone walk toward them but she didn’t know who. When he threw his arms around her and pulled her close she didn’t have to look up to see who it was.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

He always asked that same line. Leaning against him Victoria allowed herself to enjoy the short warmth.

“You made it,” Yoona smiled proudly at Taecyeon.

He smiled back in reply.

“Lets talk,” Yoona said as soon as Donghae released Victoria.

Victoria stared back.

“I think you should wait,” Taecyeon cut in.

Yoona glanced at him.

“Lets go back,” Taecyeon turned toward Victoria.

“She doesn’t have to go back with you,” Donghae started.

Taecyeon snorted, “You’re not taking her.”

Yoona watched the two guys, “Calm down, Hae.” Turning toward Taecyeon with a stiff expression she said, “Go ahead, go back. I’ll call you up tomorrow.”

Yoona watched as Victoria brushed pass without a word then Taecyeon followed with a slight nod.

- - - - -

“I’ll get you some new clothes tomorrow, you can borrow some of mine if you want,” Taecyeon suggested when they arrived back at the apartment.

“It’s fine.” Victoria replied before heading in to take a shower.

He watched the door close then went to check on the food in the kitchen. They’d gone cold as expected but if he heated them up they would be just fine. Before he got to doing that his phone rang.

“Are you guys ok over there?” Yoona questioned.

Taecyeon could hear the radio with its volume turned down. He guessed Yoona must be making her way back home.

“We’re good,” Taecyeon replied glancing down the hall. “Sorry for calling you out tonight.”

“No. I’m glad you did,” Yoona told. “I have a favor to ask.”

“Go ahead.”

“Victoria turns 27 today. It’s her birthday,” Yoona sounded sad, “could you celebrate it with her for me?”

Taecyeon grew silent making sure that the water was running.

“I will.” then he hung up.

- - - - -

After getting dressed and feeling her wet hair fall down in clumps over her shoulders she stared at her reflection in the wall.

“Happy birthday…Victoria.” she told herself with a small smile.

Victoria walked out of the bathroom to find the place empty. Walking into the kitchen she found that the table had been cleared and Taecyeon had left a note.

“Come down to the gym.”

Setting the note back down she slipped on her tennis shoes and walked down the stairs wondering why he’d make her go down. The night had grown on steadily dark with the stars high in the sky. It looked happy for some reason.

Opening the door Victoria found the gym drowned in darkness.

“Ok Taecyeon?” she called.

No one answered. Immediately she spun around when she heard footsteps. A shadow appeared at the door and she noticed a few lit candles. She unclenched her fists and set them by her side.

“What are you…” she began.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you…” he cut her off.

The flames melted in her eyes and her heart throbbed. Not once in those 14 years had anyone brought her a cake or wished her happy birthday.

“Happy 27,” he smiled. “Blow out the candles. But first make a wish.”

Victoria blew out the candles after closing her eyes and listened as he gave out a shout of joy. Turning the light back on he set the cake down on top of the mat.

“I didn’t want to bring the knife down so here you go,” he handed her a spoon. “Just dig in.”

Victoria stared down at the cake and laughed for the very first time.

“Sit down,” he said.

Victoria sat down in front of the cake feeling nostalgic. Her parents bought her a cake every year and she’d celebrate it with friends and Yoona. Not once in her entire life had Yoona missed her birthday…how Taecyeon knew of her birthday, Victoria didn’t have to ask.

With the first bite of the cake Victoria felt tears emerge in her eyes.

“It’s so good.” she said before they began to fall more heavily.

As she continued to eat wracking sobs escaped and she covered as her body shook.