15

Defence

The voices from the screen reentered her ears. What had just happened in the movie, she didn’t know. She glanced all around her to see that everyone else seemed absorbed in the movie. Why was it like that when her mind was shut elsewhere? She glanced at the popcorn on her lap then realized that she’d never touched it even once. That was it. She’d lost her appetite, she couldn’t take it anymore.

Getting up from her seat she exited out of the theater and dumped her popcorn into the trash on the way out. It was easier to breathe now that she was standing under the lit hallway. Her mind finally relaxed before she heard footsteps behind her.

“Victoria!” he called.

Shoot! She’d forgotten about him. Victoria waited for him to catch up. She wasn’t bound to apologize for walking out. Stopping in her steps she waited for him.

“The movie was about to finish,” he told. “Why’d you walk out?”

Quickly searching for an excuse she said, “I don’t feel comfortable in there.”

“Ah…really?” he sympathized. “Sorry, I didn’t know.”

“What’s there to apologize for?” she didn’t quite understand his sympathy.

“Because I didn’t know you didn’t like it,” he explained, “it didn’t look like you wanted to watch that movie either. Maybe we should have gone for The Last Exorcism.”

Victoria felt her eyebrow go up.

“What happens next?” Victoria asked looking around.

Not once, Donghae noted mentally, had she turned to look at him.

“What do you want to do?” he asked.

“I don’t know.”

He felt himself become confused with her and he viewed that confusion positively.

“You don’t seem to like doing things other people do normally.” he commented.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re peculiar.”

“What does that mean?”

Donghae smiled, “You’re distinct from others. You’re interesting. I feel like a moth flying toward a light.”

“What?”

“Never mind.” he headed for the doors and she followed. “Then should we do something out of the ordinary?”

“Out of the ordinary?” she slowly emphasized each word.

“Honestly, it’s something I would never do on a date but it’d seem fun with you.” he told turning to look at her.

Victoria found herself entering a small looking building but its interior was larger than the view from outside had offered. Weird noises beeped from all around her and she glanced at all the games around her. Basketball hoops, some lighting stuff on the ground in squares that went on and off with the music in the background, and machines with wheels embedded on them. She took in it all with wide eyes.

“Do you want to try something?” asked Donghae with both hands in his pockets.

Victoria continued to glance around then noticed two black shotguns sitting atop a small counter. Of course she knew they were fake but the guns were what drew her attention.

“What about that?” she questioned pointing to it.

Donghae glanced at her surprised.

“You don’t look like the violent type,” he said walking toward it. “Are you a terrorist underneath?”

Victoria had already tuned him out of her world when she picked up the light gun. Just by glancing at it she could picture herself holding a real heavy one and the thought made her gasp for a moment.

“Ready?” Donghae asked.

Victoria nodded from where she stood and was surprised to hear shooting noises actually come out from the speakers. In 3 minutes the game ended and a green sign popped up flashing: WINNER.

“What’s this?” Donghae asked. “You’re quite good.”

“Jung Mo…” the words slipped from when she turned to look at him.

Donghae’s eager smile faded slowly as he asked, “Who?”

“Ah…” Victoria bit her tongue and glanced around. “Should we go play that over there?”

She randomly walked off toward the hoops. Donghae’s eyes trailed off after her.

“Jung Mo. Jung Mo.” he repeated the name with a frown as he followed her.

- - - - -

Taecyeon felt someone poke him from behind as his attention veered off into space. Turning around annoyed he saw the receptionist point to the doors. He didn’t see at first but when the door opened again he saw Yoona walk in through the doors in a simple outfit with a heavy looking bag slung around her shoulder. Without glancing around she headed toward the elevator.

“I wonder what business she has here today,” the receptionist wondered.

“To see her fiancé,” Taecyeon explained leaning his arm against the high desk.

“No. That can’t be.”

“Why not?” Taecyeon glanced at the black haired receptionist.

“Because he isn’t in today.”

“Really?” Taecyeon glanced at his watch. “He usually doesn’t get off until late. It’s only 3 in the afternoon right now.”

“He never came in this morning.”

“How would you know?”

“I usually arrive here before he does so I always see him walk in through the doors. And trust me, he didn’t come in today.” the receptionist added.

“Then where would he go?” Taecyeon wondered. “Is he still in Busan?”

- - - - -

“Really?” Yoona asked at the desk upstairs.

“Yes, I don’t know when he’ll be back,” replied the woman.

“Then I’ll sit and wait for him to come in.” Yoona replied walking over to the corner and made herself comfortable.

Half an hour passed by after she went through the articles once more. Another half hour went by when one of the secretaries came to ask her if she wanted coffee which she declined. She looked up and down the hallway to where Donghae’s office was. He was always in and he always came no matter how late in the day it was. Where was he that day?

- - - - -

It had certainly got a little chillier when they stepped out of the restaurant. As they walked toward the car Donghae glanced at the lengthy smile on Victoria’s face.

“Wait,” he told stopping her.

When she stopped he turned in front of her and zipped up the jacket he’d bought her the other day.

“It’s cold out, you should stay warm.” he said. “We’re vulnerable to viruses during the cold season.”

“Oh…” Victoria uttered grabbing her zipper and playing with it. “What are we doing next?”

“Want to go for a walk?” he asked.

The cold breeze hit her face without warning and Victoria felt glad to hear the cold whisper in her ears. They walked on through the long path winding alongside the river with trees standing on the opposite side, bare and now that it’s leaves had fallen off. The sun was busy lowering itself in the pink glowing sky while they treaded along quietly.

“So,” Donghae started off, “who’s Jung Mo?”

Victoria turned to look at him in alarm then quickly glanced around.

“Forget that name.” she told.

“Why?” Donghae glanced around. “Is he around here, too?”

“He’s a ghost, if you say his name you might be calling him out.”

Donghae got the chills and gazed around once more.

“Just kidding!” she shouted and started down the paved road.

Donghae stared at her back then started after her and just a second later they were running down the pavement together.

- - - - -

Donghae still hadn’t shown up. The woman at the desk earlier had already left when Yoona looked down the hall again. She was a little surprised that she’d waited well over two hours. Probably the reason why she felt surprised was because it was her first time waiting for him. Donghae complained about it too. He always waited well over an hour. Yoona guessed she was just getting a taste of her own medicine.

Grabbing her bag she headed to the elevator to find the hallways scarily empty. One of the dead lights flashed on and off continuously and she could imagine herself in a horror movie.

“Yea, right, Yoona.” she told herself at the back of her head. “Guns should be scarier than ghosts right now.”

She got into the elevator and pressed the ground floor button. Leaning back into the gold wall she sighed. If she couldn’t find him today she’d find him tomorrow. When the door opened she looked up to find a tall thin man with spiky-ish hair standing in front of the elevator doors. He gave her a funny smile showing his rabbit-ish teeth.

“Ahh…” he said and Yoona noticed the two cans of iced coffee in his hands. “You’re leaving? I didn’t see you come down so I was coming to offer you one.”

The gesture seemed warm and the man seemed warm himself. She assumed he worked in the office somewhere because he was dressed neatly in a thin black suit. Oh, well there was nothing to lose if she were to hang around a bit more.