48

Defence

Thank you Avihux for the poster! I'll specially feature it for this chapter =D


When they pulled away from each other Taecyeon was sure that Victoria would return him some kind of comment. Afraid to hear what she would say he quickly pulled her forward wrapping his arms around her. He could feel his heart thumping wildly as her chin landed on his shoulder. They were silent for a long minute. 
 
“When you suddenly out back there, for the first time in my life I was afraid of losing someone.” 
 
Victoria slightly turned her head as if she could see him. 
 
“I always wondered why I had to run into you that night, but now I’m glad I did. Honestly, I’m really glad. Before everything happened I wanted to apologize for saying anything impulsive.”
 
Victoria slightly clenched onto his shirt and listened to him go on. 
 
“Maybe you’ve done a lot of wrong, but I believe you never wanted to do any of it. Even if it’s only been three weeks, I feel as if I know you enough to understand that you’re only lonely. Until now, I realized that you were trying to keep me out of your personal life because you’re fearful. From observing you, you’re the type to hold everything within you without expressing it, right?” 
 
Her heart ached, it really did. 
 
“I’m sorry that you had to be taken away at such a young age. You’ve certainly missed a lot while you were gone. During the time that you’re here, should I fill in that gap for you?” he went on. “And instead of being protected, let me protect you.” 
 
- - - - -
 
When the sun had rose into the sky Yoona awoke early. In the kitchen she found herself cooking, frying, and brewing soup. After she’d set everything into containers she held her hands together and smiled satisfied with the results. 
 
“What are you doing so early in the morning?” her mother asked from the doorway. 
 
Yoona turned away to glance at her bed headed mother with a smile, “Breakfast. I cooked for you and dad too.” 
 
“What’s this special occasion that’s got you so happy?” she wondered walking in and putting a hand on her daughter’s shoulder. 
 
“It’s for my friend, mom,” Yoona replied then put the containers together. “I’ll be heading off now.” 
 
“You’re not going to work today, are you?” 
 
“Don’t worry. I think I’ve got myself occupied at the moment already,” Yoona answered then walked pass her mom. “I’ll see you later.” 
 
Getting into her car she drove toward the hospital. Upon arriving in the room Victoria had been placed in she found Taecyeon flipping the pages of a magazine at the back while Victoria slept. 
 
“You came?” Taecyeon greeted looking up. Seeing her with the containers he set down the magazine and stood up, “Let me help you.” 
 
“It’s alright, don’t worry.” she said setting down the containers on the table. “Has Victoria been asleep all night long?” 
 
“She woke up after you called and went to sleep just a few hours ago.” he replied. 
 
“Did you two talk all night?” Yoona asked setting the containers apart and half glanced up to see a smile on his face. 
 
“Yes.” he answered then switched the subject. “You shouldn’t have brought so much food.” 
 
“Why? I thought you’d be hungry.” she said pulling the chair over and sat across from him. 
 
“I am,” he replied. 
 
“I brought a share for Victoria as well.” 
 
“Thanks. I’ll let her know when she wakes up.” he assured. 
 
“She can eat, right?” Yoona wondered looking on as Taecyeon began eating. 
 
“She can, but it’s difficult for her to sit up.” he explained. “It’s painful just watching her try.” 
 
Yoona looked on as the worry carried on in his voice. And again she wondered, just how close were they? 
 
“Why don’t you eat?” Taecyeon wondered pointing to the other container. 
 
“Oh…” Yoona sounded then reached for her chopsticks. 
 
From across the room she hadn’t realized that Victoria, who had awoken, was listening to the disappointment in her voice. 
 
Taecyeon left the room a while later to call himself in sick. While he was gone Yoona got up from her seat and walked toward the window to get a glance of the view outside. The burdensome towers reaching high into the sky was all she saw. When she turned back she saw Victoria staring at her. 
 
“You’re awake?” Yoona greeted. “Are you feeling better? Taecyeon said you were feeling a lot of pain when you woke up.” 
 
Victoria smiled. “I’m fine.” 
 
“You don’t have to be so awkward with me.” Yoona said. 
 
Victoria seemed to ponder over that line for a moment, “It has been 14 years. We’ve both changed.” 
 
“I know.” Yoona stood where she was. 
 
“When I get discharged, why don’t you pick me up?” Victoria suggested. 
 
“Me?” 
 
“I’ve been thinking about some things. If you take me there, I’ll try to give you the information you want.” 
 
Yoona stepped out of the room and slid the door closed behind her just as Taecyeon was finishing his call. Hanging up he turned to her. 
 
“You’re leaving?” 
 
She nodded. 
 
“I thought maybe you’d want to talk with her.” he said. 
 
“I’m good. I might come back later.” she told. 
 
“Where are you going?” 
 
“To sort some things out.” she explained. “Don’t skip your meals, ok?” 
 
“Don’t worry about it,” he assured. “I’ll see you later if you drop by then.” 
 
Yoona nodded with a smile and walked down the hallway. 
 
- - - - -
 
Taecyeon slid the door open and closed t behind him as he walked back into the room. Victoria was awake. Her head was turned away as she made effort to stare out the window. 
 
“You’re awake?” Taecyeon asked. 
 
Victoria turned around. 
 
“Did you and Yoona talk?” he took a seat beside the bed. 
 
“Thursday, when I get discharged, let Yoona pick me up instead.” Victoria suggested. 
 
“Why?” 
 
“Don’t head back to the apartment to wait for me. Go to the park, the mart, or somewhere public.” Victoria ordered. 
 
“Is something wrong?” he asked worried. 
 
“Just to take precaution,” Victoria responded. “Ok?” 
 
“Yah…” he began. 
 
“Just do it.” 
 
“You’re not well enough to be out and about.” he retorted. 
 
“Do I look that weak to you?” she tried. 
 
He stared at her for a few silent seconds then said, “Yes.” 
 
“I’m not going to run in this condition,” she assured, “so listen to me.” 
 
He smiled and nodded glad of the fact that she was worried about him. 
 
- - - - -
 
Donghae rang the doorbell again and again and again and again. No one came to the door, however. Why was it that no one was home? 
 
Heading back down the stairs he got into his car and made his way to work. At work he was greeted by Secretary Jung upstairs. 
 
“They’ve been waiting for you. I’ve tried delaying the meeting…” Secretary Jung explained along the way down the hall. 
 
Donghae cut him off, “Has Ok Taecyeon come in for work?” 
 
“Ok Taecyeon?” he repeated. “I’m not sure.” 
 
“Check it out for me.” Donghae replied before pushing open two golden doors and disappeared inside. 
 
An hour later he was seated back in his office in the comfortable grand chair he favored. Anyone who saw him would think he was obviously reading the papers before him with much concentration, however, he was just staring loosely at the characters on the sheet of papers. His mind was elsewhere. 
 
Marriage or never see her again. His mother’s words from just two days ago were still getting at him. It was hard to turn away the greed he felt so strongly. If she were to confirm that she was the missing daughter of Chairman Song, getting married would be no problem. Living together, having children, and living the ideal life of a married couple was enough for him. 
 
But…Victoria had denied being the daughter. Even though she’d denied it in front of his mother, he still felt that his mother was right. The picture on the front headline news looked identical to Victoria. Was it because of how she’d lived these past 14 years that caused her to deny the truth? Or was she hiding something? 
 
“Sir,” the door opened and Secretary Jung poked his head in. 
 
“Yes?” he asked straightening himself in his chair. 
 
“Ok Taecyeon called in with the flu today,” Secretary Jung explained. 
 
“Flu?” Donghae repeated. 
 
On lunch break Donghae stood by the large window with a glamorous view of the landscape outside. The butterfly expressway was clearly visible from where he stood drinking his warm cup of coffee, his other hand occupying the phone held up to his ear. As cars came and went one after another the ringing of the phone didn’t stop. Growing impatient and ready to hang up Yoona finally picked up. 
 
“Ah…Donghae,” she greeted. 
 
“I have a few things to ask,” Donghae got straight to the point, “is Ok Taecyeon down with the flu?” 
 
Yoona was silent. 
 
“Is he sick?” Donghae tried again. 
 
“Yea…” Yoona replied. “Why?” 
 
“Then where’s Victoria? If he’s down with the flu, shouldn’t he be at the apartment in bed?” Donghae interrogated. 
 
“You went to the apartment?” asked Yoona. 
 
“No one’s home. Where are they?” Donghae wondered. 
 
“I don’t know,” Yoona lied. “Why would you ask me?” 
 
“I’ve tried calling Victoria but she isn’t answering.”
 
“They’re just probably out,” Yoona lied again. “Why are you so worked up?” 
 
Donghae silenced his thoughts. 
 
“Donghae.” Yoona called. “Is something bothering you?” 
 
“No,” he denied, “if you see them, tell her to call me back, ok?” 
 
“Sure.” Yoona assured then hung up. 
 
For some reason, the fact that Victoria had denied her identity, was beginning to bother him a lot more than it should have. 
 
- - - - -
 
In the library of her home Yoona got down onto her knees to look through the many photo albums stacked next to each other tightly. Their covers were all various colors with many different patterns. It was at the far end where she discovered the white photo album with a smiling stick girl on the front. Her album of memories. After struggling to get it out Yoona found herself sitting cross legged on the floor flipping through the pictures. 
 
From the first page it started with baby pictures to family pictures then to school pictures. Two smiling girls holding hands were staring up at the camera held above their heads forcing them to arch their necks in order to look up. Turning the page she saw the same two girls playing in the water by the beach on a warm sunny day. The childhood memories disappeared when her middle school picture popped up. 
 
Flipping the pages she discovered pictures of her and Donghae. Youthful expressions still existed then. And the word naïve would have been a suitable word for the couple that didn’t last long. Graduation ceremonies, party photos, trips they’d taken together, and family pictures of his family and hers. How long had it been? Just a year ago before they started drifting apart. 
 
How regretful it had been. And in the end the two of them were seeking out their own happiness that maybe they would never be guaranteed. Yoona was already hopelessly lost with the thought that she’d gone too late for Taecyeon. And Donghae…no matter how hard he tried, Victoria couldn’t show the same affection he offered her. Maybe it had been meant to be. 
 
Obviously, in her eyes, Yoona saw that Taecyeon and Victoria shared more than they did with her or Donghae. Why must she lose both men to Victoria? Yoona hated that thought…though she knew it wasn’t completely like that. Taecyeon had met Victoria first, Donghae just came second. And she…had never realized Taecyeon’s presence until that night when she’d spent the whole day waiting for Donghae.   
 
How weird everything had turned out. And right now even though those thoughts lurked in her mind, she still had hope that maybe Taecyeon would feel something for her too.