20

Defence

- - - - -

“Your mother’s upset. She doesn’t want to come out of the room,” his father told walking into the kitchen with a sigh.

Donghae ate away at his food. “Mother’s just throwing another tantrum.”

“It’s a good thing you take after me,” his father nodded.

Donghae smiled and chugged down some water.

“But who was that girl your mother saw today?” he wondered.

“Someone…uniquely special.” Donghae smirked.

“Really?” his father asked. “Is she pretty?”

“Stunning.”

- - - - -

Taecyeon drove back and stopped the car in front of Yoona’s home.

“Go inside.” he said. “Relax some, will you?”

Yoona slightly glanced at him and nodded as he handed her the keys.

“How are you going to get home?” she asked weakly.

“I’ll grab a cab and fetch my car. Good night.” he told with a small wave before making his way toward the road.

After getting into his car he found that it was a little past 11. Driving along the roads he searched for any street that may still be open. Spotting a small store he walked inside and ordered some fried chicken. While glancing around at the pencils the store sold he picked some up and gazed at the funny patterns on them. A small smile escaped his lips as he thought of Victoria. Then moving his eyes over to the small rack hanging onto the edge of the ceiling he glanced at the bags and scarves that hung from it.

“Ahjumma, do you sell these too?” he asked.

“Yes. They’re $7 for the scarves each and $15 for the bags.” the curly haired ahjumma replied. “Do you want to buy one for your girlfriend?”

Taecyeon continued gazing at them, “How about the brown striped one?”

He opened the door expecting Victoria to be sitting on the couch gazing at the TV screen ready to yell at him for making her starve for so long. However, she wasn’t in. Strange. He glanced into the kitchen, empty. He knocked on the door to the bathroom.

“Victoria, are you in there?” he knocked again then opened the door, empty.

He walked into the bedroom, empty.

“Where is she?” he wondered.

He stepped into the kitchen again and found the keys to the gym still hanging on the key holder. Feeling almost worried he ran down the winding stairs and looked around. No one was ever around except for the forest out back and the trash bins.

“Victoria!!” he screamed.

His voice echoed out into the deep night and disappeared without warning. Where was she? Had something happened to her?

“I lost her, I lost her.” Yoona’s voice rang in his ears.

Could he have lost her? Victoria…didn’t know Seoul. She didn’t know anyone except for Donghae but he would have gone home by now. What if…what if something happened while he was away? He ran around and glanced into the trees. Nothing, no one.

“Victoria!!” he screamed running around.

He came to a pause immediately when a shadow slowly appeared from the road.

“Yah!!” he screamed charging at her. “Where’d you go! Where were you?!! I looked all over!!”

Then he became quiet. Something about the way she looked, the way she carried herself was slightly similar to the way Yoona had been earlier when she’d lost it in Gapyeong.

“Yah, are you ok? Did someone do something to you?” he questioned putting both hands on her shoulders. “Yah, Victoria.”

She shrugged him off then looked up at him with killer eyes. “Don’t touch me.”

Walking pass him he watched as she walked into the house. Biting his lower lip wondering what had happened he slowly walked up the steps and when he opened the door at the top he heard something shatter in the bathroom. His mind swirled, his heart raced.

At the bathroom door shards of glass lay on the ground in bits and bits of pieces. Red liquid dripped from above splattering on the ground making the small splashing noises a broken faucet would.

“Are you crazy?” he screamed.

She didn’t turn. When he grabbed her wrist, she grabbed his arm and twisted it forcing him to turn around. She pressed his arm to his back. The same tactic Yoona had used. He’d had enough of it, though. Reaching for her injured hand he twisted her arm and fought to turn himself around but Victoria didn’t even wince at the pain she’d feel from her cuts. Afraid she might have some glass in her skin he let her arm go and pushed her into the wall to the right. Luckily, his strength won over or he wouldn’t have known how long he’d have to stay twisted like that.

After discovering a white gauge bandage he found some antibiotics and cleaned the dozen cuts on her hand. She was silent all the while and didn’t even flinch from the pain. He was utterly surprised.

“Are you ok? Let me know if it hurts,” Taecyeon told. “I’m doing it as gently as I can.”

She on sat on the bed quietly as if she were mute.

“Reminds me of when I got into fights all the time and my mom had to patch me up afterward. She was always upset you know?” he talked on.

He expected to hear her comment but nothing came from her.

“Girls shouldn’t have scars, though.” Taecyeon told after he’d finish wrapping the gauze around her hand. “I bought some chicken if you’re hungry.”

Victoria just lay down on her bed on her side ignoring him.

Taecyeon turned the light off in order to help her sleep and walked into the kitchen. He took one look at the fried chicken and decided that he had lost his appetite. Never, ever, not even once in his life had he seen two girls so moody before. Reaching for the neatly wrapped chicken he found the scarf he’d intended to give her. Sighing he set the scarf down on the kitchen table, placed the chicken in the fridge, and grabbed the broom and the vacuum.

- - - - -

“Yoona,” her mother got off the chair with her father following.

In the dim living room her parents had been wide awake silently waiting for her to return home.

“Where did you go?” her mother asked walking over and putting her hand on Yoona’s face.

“The Chief said you left work 7 hours ago. Where did you go?” her father questioned seriously, almost angry.

Yoona glanced at the ground taking a step back from her mother’s touch, “I’m sorry.”

“I asked where did you go?!” her father’s voice bellowed.

“I’m tired.”

“Yoona!” her father continued.

“Honey…she’s tired. Let her take a shower and get some sleep. We can talk this through tomorrow morning.” Yoona’s mother helped.

Yoona walked away from them and to her bedroom. Immediately she fell down onto her bed with closed eyes.

“Why do you seem so close to my grasp, but also so far?” Yoona wondered.

At early Yoona found herself sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of warm water in front of her.

“I went to Gapyeong.”

“Gapyeong!” her mother screamed it but her father sounded surprised even when they uttered the name of the place in unison.

“A friend went with me, so don’t worry.” Yoona assured.

Her mother took a deep breath and leaned against the counter with eyes closed. Yoona thought she was going to topple over.

“What did you go do there?” her father asked.

“Look around,” Yoona simply replied. “I didn’t do anything.”

Her father stared at her for a long time as if contemplating whether he should believe her story or not.

“Who went with you?” her father asked.

“A friend.” Yoona repeated.

“Who?” he pressed on insistent to know his identity.

“Ok Taecyeon.”

“Eat breakfast and go to work. Come home by 4. Don’t go anywhere.” her father ordered as if he’d already fixed her daily schedule for her.

She watched as he got up and went out the door. Yoona picked up her cup and drank the rest of the water in her cup.

- - - - -

“I preheated the chicken for you,” Taecyeon explained when Victoria got up. “If you don’t finish them then preheat them following the directions I wrote out.”

Victoria didn’t say anything but grabbed herself a cup of water with her injured right hand. He just glanced at her without word. She knew curiosity was biting at him to find out what had happened last night but there was no way she was going to share anything personal. Everything she knew, she’d seen, and everything about her she would bring to her grave silently. Already staying there in the apartment was close enough to bringing danger to the naïve man. To have him killed because of her would kill her as well.

When Taecyeon left Victoria ate.

- - - - -

Taecyeon drove away keeping the apartment in view for as long as he could. When it disappeared out of sight he sort of wished Victoria had a phone on her. Now he was wishing to go back and check up on her. Something about her was beginning to worry him for some reason.

 - - - - -

For the first time that morning Yoona checked her phone. 10 of the 16 calls had been from her parents. 6 of the calls had been from Donghae. However, she didn’t feel like she was in the mood to talk to him. Setting her phone aside she grabbed her cup of coffee and sat down in her office waiting for an hour to pass by before going out on her patrol around the big city. Her hands were itching to catch some jerks red handed.

After two trips around town she returned to the station. After sitting down to take a breath she recalled attacking Taecyeon aggressively last night. Now that she thought about it she owed him for having dealt with her. And a smile crept onto her face. She had been right about him. Under the black attire he always wore neatly he was as strong as he looked.

Parking alongside the street Yoona stepped out and walked into the business. Not once had she invited Donghae out for lunch. Should she feel guilty? Pressing her lips together she decided it wasn’t such a big deal. Donghae should be as busy as she was with his stocks.

Through the doors she found Taecyeon standing by on duty. He didn’t notice her at first. From the way he stood she could tell he was thinking about something and had already zoned out. The receptionist nudged him from behind almost pushing him over. Taecyeon turned around ready to scold her for having done so but stopped when he saw her.

“Ah…Yoona.” he greeted.

“Still on duty?” she asked.

“Yes…why?”

Yoona glanced toward the doors, “Lunch? It’s on me.”