2

Defence

- - - - -

The woman with long hair tied up into a ponytail felt her blood rush through her veins as she stood in the terminal. Crowds of people bustled by not taking sight of them. Men in suits, woman in dresses, teenagers smoking, and babies cried. Had none of them heard about the assassination? Didn’t they fear the fugitive on the run at all?! Why weren’t any of them on the lookout!! She took a step forward but a hand on her shoulder held her back with heavy strength.

“Calm down, So Young.” he whispered.

She turned to look up at the short haired Jung Min. His oval eyes were intriguing and his black hair shone brightly under the dim lights.

“We can’t do it in public.” he added.

She pouted and groaned. “I want to choke her, chop her into pieces, and feed her to the sharks. Why are we letting her run away so far?!”

“Because…” he started then smiled, “it’s more fun this way.”

He turned to look up at the location board.

“Don’t you know? We’re assigned to get rid of her now. For the humiliation she caused us last round, I’ll give you the chance to do most of the beating.” he told then nodded his head toward the train. “To Seoul, we go.”

- - - - -

Yoona walked up the hilly street as a truck full of oranges drove pass her. The sky was dimly covered with gray clouds. A typical fall day. Tucking her free hand into the pocket of her brown jacket she held the bouquet of pink roses closer to her chest. Alongside her was a long red-brick wall with cars parked on the side of the street. After coming to a stop she turned to stare at the black gates where two sedan cars were parked inside. To the right of the black gates was a black door. As she looked through the gates beyond the parked cars she took a moment to travel back in time. Two little girls appeared before her entertaining themselves on the small playground inside. A glimpse of happiness sparkled in her big eyes as she heard them laugh inside her head.

Her memories were someplace no one had been invited, not even the closest people to her.  

“Yoona?” a voice broke her imagination.

She turned to see an old woman with a white laced apron on. Her blue neck shirt and her short, curly gray hair made Yoona smile. Mrs. Kim had been Victoria’s nanny ever since she was born and in a way she also felt like Yoona’s own nanny. After Victoria disappeared Mrs. Kim had been just as hurt as her own parents had. Crying day and night, day and night.

“You’re here, again?” she asked unlocking the door for Yoona.

Yoona stepped inside the gates. “Mrs. Kim, you sure are aging well.”

The old woman smiled, “It’s so hard to stop aging. You better use your youth to your advantage when you’re still young and beautiful.”

Yoona stared at her nice wrinkles and hoped that someday she would look just as nice.

“Did you get new earrings?” Yoona asked as they walked up the stone steps toward the private house.

“Yes, my husband bought them for me.”

“They certainly look nice on you.” Yoona complimented.

“You’re a very sweet young woman. Your fiancé should be glad he’s found such an outstanding girl.” she put her hand on Yoona’s back as they passed the tree with its branches outstretched looking like a skeleton. “You don’t need to visit so often. I’m sure you’re busy, too.”  

“Ah…” Yoona smiled, “I felt like dropping by before leaving town.”

“Oh…I see.” the old woman nodded thoughtfully. “I was hoping you weren’t here because you felt guilty, but it’s good to hear that that’s not the reason why. Come in. They should be relaxing in the reading room.”

And they were. Victoria’s parents had aged faster than anyone else she knew. The strain and the stress they felt from her disappearance had changed them dramatically. Yoona witnessed it all.

They lost much weight over the 14 years and their skin looked like it had been in by their own bones. They were unhealthily skinny, had very little hair on their heads, and their eyes had died of hope. When Yoona walked into the room Mrs. Kim shot her a glance full of sympathy.

“I’m sorry, child, that this is something you have to see.” Mrs. Kim whispered putting a comforting hand on Yoona’s arm.

“I’m fine.” Yoona assured. “You can go attend to your chores, sorry for bothering you.”

Mrs. Kim pressed her thin lips together and walked off leaving Yoona with the adults. They were asleep, or seemed like they were sleeping. Their heads were leaned back on the deep velvet couches that they were sitting on. The thin carpeted room was very warm due to the flickering flames the firewood inside the chimney behind the couch. The lights had been switched off and only the light from the fire allowed her to see their exhausted faces.

After Victoria had been reported missing they’d sought the best detectives from all over the country but there was still no trace of their daughter. They cried, they were unable to sleep, and they had no appetites. Yoona had been cautioned by her father not to visit too much as it would cause them to become angry and break down. Throughout the time while she remained in her bedroom restlessly praying and praying for Victoria’s safety she learned about every single detail of the search from her father. And in the end there was still no Vic.

Yoona gathered her falling courage and entered the room feeling as happy as she could.

“I bought some flowers,” Yoona greeted placing the bouquet on the small coffee table.

Victoria’s mother opened her eyes and lifted her head up. Dark bags creased under her eyes as she turned to look at Yoona.

“I didn’t notice you came. Have a seat.” she suggested.

“I’m fine standing here. Are you doing well these days?”

“We are…always the same. We just sleep a lot more these days. It’s a relief with Mrs. Kim around.”

Yoona nodded.

“We received your wedding invitation. I don’t know if we’ll make it.”

Yoona felt her eyes droop to the ground before she smiled. “It’s ok. There will be other times.”

After she adjusted their blanket around them she walked out dazed. Gripping onto the string of her purse she paused in the middle of the white hallway. There was still dinner she’d promised later in the evening. No matter what she’d have to break it to him.

Glancing up she saw the rich colored family portrait hanging on the right wall so proudly. Mother and father on both sides, daughter in the middle. Their smiles full of indescribable happiness. How did Victoria look like now? Would she still wear pigtails on her head? Would she still be as cute and innocent as the young girl in the picture? What kind of person had she become these past years? Yoona felt tears arise in her eyes as she reheard crying and sobbing within the dark woods.

“I’ll find you, so don’t let me know you’re dead and that I’ve been fishing on empty hope.”

- - - - -

Victoria pulled the hat over her head and clutched onto the purse she was carrying. When she’d finally escaped out of the woods she’d stolen clothes from a woman and had taken her money too. There was no time to feel bad about these kind of things. It was either live or die, and she was going to live.

Sitting on the train feeling her body rock and forth in the seat because of the train’s motion she glanced at others around her. They’d taught her how to become a quick observer and remember every single detail. When she’d failed during the tests they stripped her of her clothes and tossed her into the cold dungeon where she had to sleep on the cold stone floor. Before she’d turned 12, she’d never known life to be such a battle.

Her parents…no. Victoria cut her thoughts off.

- - - - -

Each person walking in and out of the doors were no one new. He’d seen each and every detail of their faces before. He had to admit his job was boring sometimes, but the money he earned was worth the boredom. His walkie-talkie buzzed and voices spoke through to each other. The others were just fooling off.

“Taec,” someone called, “you have a phone call.”

The first floor comprised of expensive glass doors framed in gold and an electric spinning door in between the two doors. From the doors the floor was a shining white that could make someone feel like they were visiting a mental institution. There were meeting rooms and supply rooms on the first floor and a customer desk at the front. That was where Taecyeon was stationed.

“Yes?” he asked turning around in the black suit he was wearing, an earpiece in his left ear.

He had just gotten his hair trimmed last night and he was glad that his hair did not move one bit when he turned around.

Grabbing the phone from the woman he answered, “Taecyeon speaking.”

“Taecyeon-ah, did you do what I asked of you?”

“The key to the supply room?”

“Did you do it?”

“Are you sure…”

“Look, I’ve already repeated myself a hundred of times.” the man on the other end of the phone complained. “I’ve given you a note of confidentiality already. I’m told to bring it to them because they can’t make it here! Do you understand?”

Taecyeon sighed, “Alright, I understand. 5 tonight?”

After hanging up he turned around to see Yoona walk in through the doors. She looked glamorous. His head turned as he watched her walk down the hall hidden from view toward the elevators.

“Boy, are you in love,” the receptionist joked with her chin in her palm. “You know she’s the CEO’s gal, don’t you?”

“It doesn’t hurt to look,” Taecyeon turned around with a smile. “I have a job to do. I’ll be back.”

- - - - -

“Sir, I think some of our stocks are politically being affected by the assassination. It’s spreading like wildfire and our stocks are falling down.”

“Not all of them has fallen?” Donghae asked with his hands at his forehead.

He wasn’t looking at the man in front of him but down at the papers he was busy skimming through.

“Yes, sir.”

“Then what’s there to worry about?” Donghae looked up. “There are still buyers out there. Not everyone has run out of money, you got it?”

“Yes, sir.” the man nodded with a bow and exited his grand office.

A rich oak wooden desk was where he sat behind and a comfy black chair full of cushion was what he sat on. Drawers and cabinets sat behind him and a large computer sat to his far left. His office consisted of white walls, a large window with a full view of the city below, and a relaxing corner decorated of two small couches, a long couch, and a circular glass table.

The door opened again and he looked up to see Yoona smiling at him. The frown on his face disappeared and he leaned back in his chair.

“Why are you arriving so late?” he questioned. “I waited over an hour again.”

Yoona had never spoken to him about her missing friend. So, instead she walked toward him, “Don’t be a poor sport. Come on, I reserved a room for us.”

Donghae followed her into the Chinese restaurant and they were led down the hallway with lanterns hanging down from the ceiling. Each and every pattern on the lanterns caught his eyes before they reached the oval door. The waitress slid the doors opened and Donghae glanced in at the flower-decorated walls.

“Would you two like to start off with water?” she asked.

Her hair was wrapped in a tight bun, her face had been darkly made up, and she was obviously wearing red lipstick. The way her face shone as she spoke sort of annoyed him for some reason.

“Coffee for me.” Yoona stated.

“I will be back. Take your time with the menu.”

When she walked out Donghae sat down on his black chair and looked at the menu already on the table.

“It’s not like you to choose such a place,” he commented flipping through the menu pages.

“Really? I think it’s just like me.” Yoona replied. “I think someone has been on his period these few days. Always so grumpy when I see you.”

“Don’t even try to joke,” he started.

“How’s work?” she questioned. “I heard you talking about stocks falling.”

“I’m not worried about that.”

The waitress walked back in and placed their drinks on the table before waiting to take their orders. They had a small talk before their food arrived and silence seeped into the room while they tasted their food.

“So,” Donghae started, “I’ve been waiting for you to speak first. About next week, have you spoken to your chief?”

“Ah…” Yoona paused and looked up. “Actually…”

“You didn’t do it, did you?” his tone sounded as if he were accusing her.

“I did,” Yoona spoke calmly, “it’s just…something else came up. Can we cancel the wedding?”

Donghae felt his mouth drop before he snorted with laughter, “Wow, you’re really amazing.”

Yoona stared back at him.

“What is it this time? Your chief needs you to take over for him?!”

“No, that’s not it, and don’t speak about him like that! I respect him a lot, you know that. I can’t stand it when you talk about him that way.” Yoona defended.

Donghae nodded sarcastically and set the utensils in his hand down. “What are you doing this time that we need to hold off our wedding?”

He wasn’t happy. His anger was only starting to boil within him.

“I’m going to be out of Seoul. I’m going to be joining the detectives and criminal specialists to search for a fugitive,” Yoona explained, “I don’t know when I’ll be back. But this is something I always wanted to take a part of…”

Donghae bit his bottom lip, “You’re really something.” He nodded his head again and looked away trying to contain his anger. “Can’t you do all that after your wedding?! I don’t understand what the big difference is between detectives and cops when all you basically do is chase after idiots!! And what?! This is something you’ve been waiting for all your life? Don’t lie to me, Im Yoona! For your damn wedding with me, can’t this wait even a week?!”

Yoona felt helpless against him.

“Your wedding, Yoona! Get that into your head!” he shouted. “It’s something you’re only going to do once and you’re choosing your work over this?!! I don’t understand you…no actually these 2 years I’ve never understood you! You’re always late on our dates and I end up waiting for what’s been 1,000 hours of my life! You’ve never looked at me, it’s always been your job!! Get out then! Go out there and chase after idiots! And don’t come back saying that it was a big waste of time!”

“You don’t understand!” Yoona tried.

His voice overpowered her, “I don’t care! Because to me, at least I value our relationship! Our wedding, Yoona!! Our wedding!” He took a breath. “I’m through with this. I’m tired. Just go. I’m not going to wait.”

From the corner of his eyes he saw her get up, slide the doors open, and walk away. He took a deep breath and shut his eyes. He was exhausted of beating around the bush. When she couldn’t just walk toward him confidently, during that time he’d retained himself from speaking his mind. And now that he finally had, it was the truth that he felt better.