12

Defence

- - - - -

“Did someone at the company betray you too?” Victoria asked from her seat.

“It’s not an act of betrayal,” Taecyeon told rinsing the dishes at the sink. “It’s more like…I was tricked.”

“I thought you looked smart for one.” Victoria stated then turned glancing toward the doorway. “Say, what about that gym over there?”

“The gym?”

“Does it belong to you?”

A pause. Then he said, “I guess it does now.”

“Do you go there?”

“Not really. I’ve only organized it once, haven’t gone there again.”

“Why? Scared of ghosts?”

“Ghosts in a gym? Where do you come up with these things?” he wondered. “What’s the point of having a conversation with you?”

Victoria shrugged. “So, does that mean you have the keys to go there?”

“Of course, they’re hanging right there,” Taecyeon pointed to the key holders on the wall beside the fridge then quickly frowned. “Yah, what are you thinking of doing now? You want to kick me out?”

Victoria shrugged, “Just wondering. I feel like my hands itch.”

She glanced at her hands tensing them, and relaxing them then tensing them again. The urge to grab her gun and shoot or have a go at the punching bag was surging through her. She knew that soon she’d have to find some place to wreck.

“Itch? Run them through hot water.” he suggested obviously not understanding what she’d meant.

“It doesn’t help.” Victoria stated getting up.

“What’s with her?” he wondered.

- - - - -

Donghae rushed down the stairs with jacket in hand and car keys in the other.

“Where are you going?” his mother asked getting up from the couch.

“Business. I’ll be back in a day or so.”

“Now at this time of night?!”

“Be safe!” he heard his father call after him.

Donghae hopped down the steps toward his parked car. Boy, was the Director going to receive it from him when he got down to Busan for making him fly out this time at night. He met up with Secretary Jung, who had the tickets, at the airport.

“You better have things right this time around, Secretary Jung,” Donghae told taking the ticket from him.

“I’m pretty sure, sir.” Secretary Jung said following him toward the gate.

It was a long flight but Donghae had survived his boredom when the plane landed at the Busan airport. Stepping off the plane he and Secretary Jung headed out the exit immediately hailing a cab toward the villa.

- - - - -

Their flight wasn’t scheduled till morning so while everyone was sleeping in their own room Yoona stepped out. The streets were empty. A hot cool steam floated up from the sewer cage down in the alley as she made her way between the two tall buildings. She needed to go back to the shooting site where the storage sheds awaited the longing night.

Tugging her jacket over her she gently patted the handgun hidden in her jacket. It was the same handgun from earlier. After Lee Jung Hwa had stomped out of the conference room out of anger Yoona realized that the gun was still on her and the man hadn’t bothered to collect it.

As trillions of thoughts passed through her mind she hadn’t noticed how long it had taken her to just walk to the storage sheds located off the middle of the highway. She walked down the street and toward the fence that closed the storages in. The place was empty. The cleanup crew must have left just hours earlier as Yoona could make out fresh marks of tire tracks on the ground and could still smell the faint scent of dead bodies.

Pushing the fenced door open she walked on with hand on her side so that if needed she could pull out her weapon in a split second. Moonlit light glinted off the white metal roofs reflecting rays onto the wide road paved along the division of the six storage sheds on each side. And where the roofs hung over the sides were where the shadows lurked.  

Yoona knew she was putting herself in danger by walking out in the clearing instead of creeping under the shadow of the roofs. Under the painted sky all that worry between life and death didn’t matter. She’d told the Chief before that she’d choose death wouldn’t she? And if she were to die, she’d die a brave soldier.

She walked along the road until she recognized the shed she was last in. Kicking the door open she looked in. Blood from the man who’d told her about Victoria still stained the floor.

“She’s alive…and well.”

Did that mean they still had Victoria with them? Yoona was dying to know the answer.

When she returned to the hotel she found Hyemi standing outside with Lee Jung Hwa, who was smoking a cigarette. From the way Hyemi had her arms crossed and Jung Hwa’s pose with one leg crossed over the other Yoona could see that they were waiting for her.

“You’ve done a great job, Deputy,” Jung Hwa commented sarcastically gripping her arm and pulling her over.

In that immediate second before Yoona could process it into her mind about what he was doing she felt him pull the gun out from under her brown jacket. He tossed her back and Yoona found her footing before staring at them.

“All eyes are on you this time,” Jung Hwa told. “Grab your suitcase. You’re the last to the airport.”

- - - - -

It was half an hour before they reached the plentiful tan buildings striking the clear blue sky. A large tan wall extended for miles down the road and from the road they’d just arrived from. Large green trees extended into the sky inside the gates and the grass rustled in the morning wind.

Secretary Jung paid for the taxi fare as Donghae stepped out and walked toward the black gates. Surely there must be a door around somewhere.

“Here, sir.” Secretary Jung called stopping by a black door to the right.

Donghae walked over and pressed a button, which sent them immediately to a woman’s voice.

“Who’s there?” she asked.

“Tell the Director his subordinate is here.”

“Which one?”

Donghae thought for a moment before replying, “Ok Taecyeon.”

Secretary Jung turned to look at him surprised. Donghae ignored his gaze absolutely.

The door clicked open and they pushed it open to be welcome by a clean green yard. To their left was a stone path leading the way to the front door where Donghae invited himself in. Deciding that he needed no manners to take his shoes off Donghae walked straight down the hallway.

Secretary Jung had paused for a second to take his shoes off but when Donghae had walked on coolly he followed his lead.

“Sir, do you know where you’re going?”

“We might as well explore,” Donghae paused stopping once in a while to grab a vase in the middle of the hallway to observe.

At the end of the corridor he turned to find that the small hallway had transformed into a large gathering room. A large black marble table sat drawn in the middle of the room and a black leather couch behind.

“Get me a cup of wine.” a large rounded man sitting sunk in on the couch called to someone in the room to his left.

“What wine is that?” Donghae asked.

The large man, who had obviously not heard them, turned to look at him in shock. His eyes grew at once.

“Yes, it’s me, Ok Taecyeon.” Donghae replied with his voice low. “Where’s that wine you stole?”

The director's jaw dropped. 

“Send it back to Seoul by business mail. I’m going to head back first,” Donghae explained.

His secretary standing outside of the driver’s door clutching onto a notepad nodded.

“Will do.” Secretary Jung replied.

“And tell the Director he’s fired. Oh yes, and see who’s name the villa is under. I’m going to buy it,” Donghae told before driving off in the Director’s car.

- - - - - -

Taecyeon walked into the building buttoning up his jacket with each step he took.

“Morning, Taec,” the receptionist greeted. “Seems like the boss isn’t here today. There’s havoc down in Busan.”

“Really? What’s the reason for flying down there in the middle of the night?” Taecyeon asked.

“I heard from the others that he’s tailgating someone.”

“Psh, two-timing?” Taecyeon asked.

The receptionist shrugged. The two-timing thought seemed amusing at first but the amusement from it faded as soon as it came.

- - - - -

With the TV on behind her Victoria paced back and forth in front of the entrance to the kitchen and decided on it at last. Grabbing the keys she rushed down the stairs and to the gym. It was nice and cool inside. The wooden planks had been polished till they shone under the lights that Victoria had just . Large and spacious. Victoria liked it. As empty as it was Victoria was glad that nothing had been placed in the middle of the gym. It took just one glance before she found the punching bag on the ground and minutes later she found herself pounding away at it. The feeling she received from it was good. One of her favorite stress relievers.

From when she was thrown into the base her first time with a punching bag was painful. She couldn’t even budge it nonetheless hit it correctly. Her fist ached whenever her knuckles met with the bag. Then after a few years she’d adjusted to the thick bag.

After two hours in the gym she headed back up and found herself feeling hungry. In the kitchen she found herself staring at the stove.

“How does it work again?” she muttered to herself twisting the handles on the front randomly. “When do I know if it’s hot?”

Placing her hand on top of the granite looking top she shouted and moved her hand back after a few seconds.

“Darn thing!!” she screamed running her hand under cold water. “Aish! I don’t know! I don’t care, I’ll wait till Ok Taecyeon comes back to have my meal.”