Chapter Four

The Man Behind the Screen

The moment Mikyung recognized Kim Kyujong, she backed out, but Kyujong’s mother had already seen Mikyung. “Is she your daughter?”

Mikyung’s mother turned, “Mikyung-ah,” her mother sweet-voiced. “Come on in.”

Mikyung slowly stepped in and bowed, “Annyeohasseo.”

“She’s even more beautiful in person,” Kyujong’s mother expressed. “Sit next to Kyujong.”

Kyujong looked at Mikyung in shock. He signaled Mikyung to sit somewhere else, but Mikyung didn’t even want to sit next to him. She started moving towards her parents.

“Did you not hear Minyoung-sshi?” Mikyung’s father said. “Sit next to Kyujong.”

“It’s alright if she’s shy,” Kyujong’s father admitted. “Kyu seems a little shy right now too. I can see she’s tired.”

Mikyung bowed towards Kyujong’s father.

“Come on, just sit next to him. He won’t bite,” Mikyung’s mother persuaded.

Mikyung finally sat down next to Kyujong.

Both mothers were pleased, “Omo~ they look so good.” Mikyung tried to fake a smile, but totally failed. Kyujong was confused and wanted to get out of the room. He started to scratch his back, “Omo~ Kyu’s blushing. Mikyung is blushing too!”

“Just stop it you two,” the fathers demanded. “Misoon-sshi, Minyoung-sshi, maybe we should leave them alone for a while.”

The parents left the two youngsters in the room alone. Kyujong spoke first, “This cannot get out in the Press, arasso?”

“You think I want to be dating you? Aigoo, you’re not even handsome! Just because you’re an idol doesn’t mean any girl wants…”

“Calm it will you? Our parents will hear you,” Kyujong said as he held Mikyung’s mouth shut. He slowly let go, “I need you to play along, arajji?”

“Play along?”

“Listen, my parents have been trying to set me up for so long. Because I’m an idol it’s hard for me to find a girlfriend. Just recently I found a girl, but she’s not wife-material according to my parents. Just play along until I can convince them?” Kyujong explained.

“Anni, I have my own problems.”

“Jaeho having a girlfriend doesn’t count as a problem. It was obvious he’s not into you,” Kyujong interrupted.

“How does everyone know that?  Anyway, I can’t possibly pretend to be with you. My parents will totally fall for it and my mother would hate me after we break-up.”

“It’s alright, I’ll be the one who breaks up with you.”

“Exactly why she’d hate me.”

“Fine! Break up with me then,” Kyujong shouted. “Just be my girlfriend.”

“I can’t. I still need to fall out of love,” Mikyung mumbled.

“Listen, I know it might be hard, but could you just try?” Kyujong pleaded.

“How about I take it into consideration?” Mikyung suggested. “I’ll let you know when our parents start nagging.”

“Chinja? You can’t lie!” Kyujong told.

“Under one condition,” Mikyung leaned closer to Kyujong, “No one in SS501 or Jaeho can know about it, arajji?”

“Arasso! They’d laugh if they found out I was sneaking out to see you anyways. Does that mean you’ll be my girlfriend?”

“I’ll think about it.”

That night, Mikyung logged back onto her account on dspent.net. Right when she logged on, she received a private chat invitation. “Kim Jaeho invited you to private chat”

*clicks accept*

Jaeho: I wasn’t sure if you would make it back tonight
Mikyung: why are you on?
Jaeho: because I wasn’t sure how to contact you.
Mikyung: You could’ve just emailed me.
Jaeho: that takes too long
Jaeho: I’m not old-school you know?
Mikyung: Idk what to say…
Jaeho: So how was your day?
Mikyung: Painful
Jaeho: why was it painful
Mikyung: I found out something I thought … nvm it doesn’t matter
Jaeho: can I ask you something?
Mikyung: knock yourself out.
Jaeho: why do you like me so much?
Mikyung: Is it against the law?
Jaeho: I just want to know…
Mikyung: Maybe because you’ve always taken care of me since middle school. Idk..
Mikyung: Others may think you’re rude and mean towards me, but I know you’re more than that.
Jaeho: how so?
Mikyung: You’re a natural. You’re even taking care of SS501. Your dream came true.
Jaeho: what else is there about me?
Mikyung: I shouldn’t say anymore…
Jaeho: Why not
Mikyung: It’ll make it harder for me to fall out of love with you.

*clicks exit chat*

Mikyung shuts her laptop down, “I’m sorry, Jaeho. I can’t live like this anymore,” she said as she ruffled her puppy, HeulHeul’s head. (Heulheul is Dongwoon of Beast’s puppy’s name! lol)


A/N: Leave comments.. Idk, Idk if I want to continue. lol