Family Feud

The Man Behind the Screen

"Mikyung-sshi! Are you there?" a voice said.

Jaeho and Mikyung froze. Jaeho let go of Mikyung. Mikyung walked slowly to the door and wiped away her tears. "Kyu? What're you doing here?"

“I tried calling you first, but then you didn’t pick up. I came and heard you screaming. Is everything—“ Kyu saw Jaeho.  “Jaeho-sshi.”

“Kyujong, this isn’t a good time,” Mikyung said.

“Mikyung-sshi too?” Kyu snapped at Jaeho. “You are really something you know that? Hurting girls from left to right.”

“Kyu, not now,” Jaeho said.

“Not now? Not now?!  How can you come around here and think you can sleep with her?  Aren’t those girls you bring to the dorm enough?  Why must you do these kinds of things?”

“Kyu, stop it!” Mikyung shouted.

There was silence for about one minute.  “I see how it is.  You want to be one of those girls?  I came here to tell you what a creep he was, but I see you like creeps.  Take care, Mikyung-sshi.”

Kyujong left and slammed the door.

Mikyung and Jaeho were silent for two minutes. “Mikyung-sshi, I’m sor—“

“Leave.”

Jaeho looked at Mikyung as he walked out.  He turned around, but Mikyung just shut the door in front of his face.

Mikyung placed her back on her door and sat down.  “Ahn Mikyung! Get a hold of yourself.”

For a week, Mikyung called in sick for work.  She locked herself in her home.  At 4 in the morning one day, she received a text from her mother: Meeting with Kyu’s parents today. Be at the same place at 11 today

Mikyung rolled out of bed and got ready for the day.  By 7, she had  prepared breakfast already.  She was about to sit down when her she heard a knock at the door.

Mikyung opened the door and saw that Hyunjoong was standing there.  “What’re you doing here?”

“Oh come on! Isn’t it obvious you’re avoiding work?” Hyunjoong said.  “I don’t have any schedules today so let’s spend the day together.”

“Come in,” Mikyung said.  “Take a seat. Did you eat yet?” Mikyung walked over and got some more food to put on the table.  “I actually have an engagement with my parents around 11 today so I’m not sure if we can hang out today.”

“That’s funny, Kyu has the same thing today…” Hyunjoong said.  “Not that it matters, but he’s been getting a lot of family engagement lately.”

Mikyung faked a laugh, “Well, that’s quite strange…”

“Listen, I heard what happened with Jaeho,” Hyunjoong said. 

“How?”

“Youngsaeng made Kyu spill it out to us the other day.  It’s horrible that he’d do such a thing and I’m sorry on Jaeho’s behalf.”

“You don’t have to be,” Mikyung said softly.  “It’s really not your fault and I’ll be back at work in no time.”

After eating breakfast, Hyunjoong left.  Mikyung rushed to her room to get dressed.  She opened her laptop because she had forgotten the directions to the restaurant.

A bunch of pop-ups popped up.  *13 new messages*

Mikyung clicked on them.  All of them were from the so-called Jaeho.  Since Mikyung knew that it wasn’t Jaeho, she decided to read them anway.

Mikyung-sshi, I’m sorry for lying to you this whole time

Mikyung, sorry for what happened

I hope you can forgive me

I’ll come clean when the time is right

I hope you won’t be mad forever

Please come to work tomorrow

Are you avoiding me?

Please reply asap

Don’t keep me waiting forever

Hopefully we can still be friends

How have you been?

Hope to see you at work tomorrow

I’m sorry, just reply.

Mikyung was confused with all those emails.  Did this mean that it was really Jaeho? Or what is this imposter apologizing about?  Everything was just making Mikyung confused.

When Mikyung arrived at the restaurant, she was there before Kyujong was.  She walked in and saw his parents talking and joking around with her parents.  She didn’t want to show up alone because their parents thought that her and Kyu had been together the whole time.  Mikyung decided to wait for Kyujong to arrive before she walked into the room.

10 minutes later, Kyujong arrived.  “Oh, Kyu—“

Kyujong didn’t look at Mikyung and just walked into the room. Mikyung followed Kyujong into the room.

“Oh! My baby,” Kyu’s mother said.  “Omo, you two are such a great couple. Did you come together?”

Mikyung looked at Kyu, “Of course, umma. But I have something to say today.”

All four parents turned serious.

“Kyu—“ Mikyung said.

“I think it’s best that you all know that I can’t be with Mikyung-sshi anymore.”

“Kyu!” his parents scolded.

Mikyung didn’t know what to say, “Kyu—“

“It has nothing to do with her, it’s just that I have a career to do at the moment.  I don’t think I can divide my schedule to fit her,” Kyu confessed.

“Shiruh~” Kyu’s father said.  “You and Mikyung-sshi will marry in the end no matter what.”

“We have no connection whatsoever, father.  From the beginning we told eachother that we would never work.  No matter what you say, I will never love Mikyung.”


A/N: Sorry for the late update. I had to re-write everything. I hope you all enjoy it!