Chapter 2. Pre-debut (part 2/3)

Protective unnies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was sitting in one of the self-practice cubicles, listening to the song that I would have to sing for my pre-debut video. All of the girls were sitting in one too and were preparing for either rap or vocal.

Jahoon: How in the world am I going to sing this? The key is so high! I can't reach that…

I held my head in my hands as I tried not to have a mental breakdown over it. I took a deep breath with closed eyes. I just had to believe in myself. I have to believe in myself that I can do it. I can do it. I opened my eyes and tried to sing the song part by part. Surprisingly it went quite well for most of the song but there was just one part that I just couldn't get through. I didn't have the vocal range to hit it, I was more at the lower range in terms of vocals so I was more assigned rap parts in songs instead of vocal parts.

Jahoon: I’m never going to sing this part… I’m going to fail… why was I even put in this group in the first place? I can’t even sing well…

I leaned back in my seat, trying to sit as comfortably as possible as well as sitting in a way where my airway would be cleared so that my voice would come out without being strained. But again no matter how much I tried I couldn’t hit it, making me extremely frustrated. I sat down on the floor in the corner of the room and held my legs close to my chest, trying to comfort myself. I couldn’t bring myself to go over and ask the other girls for help. They were all probably nailing all of it. Even though we had all become close friends, I couldn’t bring myself to ask them for help. What if they thought of me as weak for not being available to perform it correctly? What if they go to the CEO and tell him that they don't want me on their team because of my nonexistent skill? As I was sitting down in my own wreck of nervousness, someone knocked on my door. Was someone getting irritated with my singing and was here asking me to stop? I got up on my feet and walked over to the door and opened it to reveal Jiwon unnie standing there.

Jahoon: Hey unnie…. I'm sorry if my singing is bothering you…

Liz: Not at all! In fact, you actually have such a nice voice! I can't believe that I haven't noticed it much earlier but… I did hear you struggle with a part. Do you want some help with it?

Jiwon unnie and I stared at each other for a while. I didn't dare to admit it because, for most of my life, I had to live independently. I pouted at her and nodded slowly at her, making her burst into laughter. We walked back into the room and closed the door behind us before sitting down at the desk to continue the practice.

Liz: Okay before we sing the song again, let's try to do some exercises to widen up your vocal cords. Try and follow after me.

Jiwon unnie sat straight in the chair and began showing me some exercises to help me with my singing. I did as told and we sat there just doing some of it for a while.

Liz: Alright. I think that is enough. Why don't you try and sing the song once again? This time with what we have just learned in mind.

I nodded and sat a bit more comfortably, trying to sing the song again. As I was nearing the part that I had been struggling with for a long time, I began to become nervous. What if I couldn't do it? I felt Liz grabbing my hand and giving it a little squeeze which managed to calm me down and also helped to actually pass the part that I had been struggling so much with! But before I could celebrate the victory, I had to finish the song first. As soon as I did, I turned to face Jiwon unnie with a big smile on my face.

Jahoon: I did it unnie! I did it! I managed to sing the song without struggling!

I threw myself at Jiwon unnie and wrapped my arms around her in a hug. I felt her freeze a bit since she probably didn't expect me to express myself like that. As I had said before it is pretty much uncommon for me to make skinship with another person, no matter how close we are. She quickly relaxed her body and returned the hug while patting me lightly on my back.

Liz: I knew that you could do it, baby. I knew it. You just needed a bit of a push and belief.

I pulled away from her and stared into her eyes. I could tell she was proud of me but all of sudden a thought came into my mind and made my smile drop.

Liz: Why did you stop smiling? What is wrong? You managed to do it so well.

Jahoon: I did. Now. But what about when we are filming? What if I can't hit the note there? I only managed to do it now because I have you by my side but what about then?

I panicked once again but before I could go into complete panic mode, Jiwon unnie managed to stop it. She placed her hands on my shoulder and made me focus on her.

Liz: I know that you are going to do well at the filming. I trust you about that, also you won't be alone there. Unnie will be there looking at you from behind the camera. I may not be physical with you but I will be there mentally.

Jiwon unnie smiled and pulled me into a hug. I sighed in a kind of relief. Somehow she managed to calm me down even though we hadn't been friends for so long.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Yujin's POV*

Yujin: I think that should be it for today, this! We b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter