Thirty-Seven

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Beep beep beep

Wonyoung stood at the door of the VIP ward, looking at Minhyun who was sitting by the bed where Minju was lying, holding onto her hand.

He has been there for the whole night.

"There's no point saying sorry," she said.

The guy ignores her as if he and Minju were the only ones in the room.

Wonyoung sighs and goes to him. It took her a few tries to peel him away from the brunette who has yet to wake up. Settling him aside on the couch, she brings him water.

No matter how angry she was at him for doing all this to Minju, he was still a friend. The brunette's fine so she doesn't find a need to argue with the guy.

"Why did you do it?" She tries talking to him again. "I know it's an accident but why did you show up at her place?" Wonyoung sees guilt in his eyes, swollen eyes from all the crying.

"I tried—"

"There's a reason why she left you. You know well enough it's not because of her feelings. It's because of you."

"Stop rubbing it in." His voice trembles, sitting there all lost.

Wonyoung sighs, hearing the door slide open. Minju's family was finally here. They trusted Wonyoung to take care of her since they were all so busy.

But they came here as quickly as they could.

No one said a word. Just stares at Minhyun who kept his head down.

"We'll be outside," Wonyoung told Mrs Kim before dragging Minhyun out.

But before they could exit, the doctors and nurses came their way.

"Is Kim Minju's family around?" The doctor in charge asked Wonyoung who pointed inside. She follows them in, wanting to hear the verdict.

Once the doctor stands in front of the Kim family, he started his diagnosis. "This is all an unfortunate incident for us but I'm here to tell you your daughter is fine."

Soft gasps of relief were heard as Wonyoung glanced at Minhyun. He wasn't going to get away with this.

The man looks at his clipboard. "After going through the scans, we conclude that she's suffered from head trauma and some bleeding. Thankfully, she was brought here in time and the surgery went well. We've given her some Propofol to help with the healing process. But she'll be fine." He ensures the family.

Minjung raises her hand politely. "How long will she be asleep for?"

"She'll regain consciousness in a few hours since she's been out for the whole night. Or she might just be tired. Please inform me when she's awake." He bows before leaving the room.

"So she's fine, right?" Minjun asks the older girl who smacks his head. "What?"

"You sound like you don't want her to wake up."

Wonyoung pulls Minhyun out once more, going to the chairs outside the room. "I'm not letting you run away from this," she said. "I'll make her tell us what happen and you settle everything by yourself."

"Do you think I wanted this to happen? If only she listened—"

"Stop it," Wonyoung warns. "Can you not show a bit of guilt? Must you always try to make things worse? It was never her fault but yours. You could've talked to her nicely and not done something that could hurt her. You should never do that to anyone. I'm sure your mom has taught you not to use violence as an answer. For once, admit that you're wrong, will you?"

Minhyun leans back into the chair as if he were a criminal offender, giving up on the argument he had in his head.

...

When evening came, Minjung was the last to leave the room. She bumps into Wonyoung who was still outside, sitting with Minhyun.

Wonyoung noticed and stood up, nudging the guy to do the same. "Unnie."

"Wonyoung-ah." She greets back. "Thank you."

"It's nothing." Wonyoung smiles gently. "All that matters is she's fine."

Minjung nods and looks at Minhyun. She takes a step forward and harshly pushes his head, catching him off guard.

"Now you're father owes me something." She glares, making sure the boy was intimidated. "If he wants a settlement." Minjung scoffs.

"I'll get going first. You'll be around?" She asks Wonyoung who gave her a nod. Minjung could never thank her more for being there for her little sister.

When she left, they both entered the room. Minju's still asleep.

Wonyoung sighs, feeling her phone vibrate in her pocket. She goes out the door to pick it up, making sure Minhyun doesn't do anything stupid.

"Tell him to come down to the carpark." That was the first thing she heard from the line. "Now."

Wonyoung hums in response as the call ends. She goes back in. "Your dad wants you in the carpark."

Minhyun froze upon hearing that word, knowing he was in deep . He stays calm and stands. He didn't know if it was going to be his last day on earth.

He goes to the carpark as told, looking out for his father's car. He went around the pillars in this heated environment to look for a black Cadillac.

The moment he was distracted, someone gave a strong kick to his lower back. "Ah!" He fell onto the floor almost instantly with how intense that kick was.

"Ya!" He quickly turns around, holding onto his aching back. Minhyun's eyes widen as he sees a tall girl in a copper brown jacket and slightly curled black hair.

"You—"

"Get up."

"It hurts." He winces as the girl pulls him up by the collar, slamming him against the wall. His back was about to shatter into pieces.

"It hurts?" The girl's vicious gaze alone pierced through him. "Do you wanna feel what it's like to have a hole through your head?" Her mind was telling her to do it. However, that one girl's words refrained her from killing this guy who deserved nothing.

Minhyun's knees buckled as he sees a fist rising before his eyes. Lips trembling, he could feel how much she wanted to drill a hole in his head with her fingers tightening around his collar.

"Yujin." He tries to calm her down. "Don't do this. You know what happens if you—"

She throws him to the ground, hearing him grimace pathetically, slithering across the floor. "My back...why are you..."

"I don't want to see you here again." Yujin sighs, going to grab her luggage. He was just a waste of time.

She took out her phone, seeing Wonyoung's message that told her what ward she was in.

Wonyoung: You didn't hit him, right?

Yujin pockets her phone and got out of the lift, heading towards the other block. As her footsteps finally led her to the VIP ward, she pulls her stuff aside.

She calms herself down before opening the door. Wonyoung looks up from her phone to see the girl who had her eyes pinned on the bed.

She stands. "How did you—" She stops talking when she sees Yujin tearing up. "She's fine though," Wonyoung whispers to herself and goes to her.

Yujin accepted her hug. But the moment she did, tears rolled down her cheeks just seeing Minju unconscious. If only she didn't leave, if only she kept Minhyun away from her, nothing like this would've happened.

She has always wanted to come back after finding herself. But she didn't know this had to be the reason why she comes back.

"It's all my fault." Yujin stutters into the girl's shoulder.

Wonyoung ran her hand down the latter's back, comforting her. "You know it's not."

Yujin doesn't argue and told herself to stop crying. But the tears had a mind of their own, streaming down as if she has been holding them in for a long time.

Wonyoung stood her up properly and wiped her tears dry. "Stop crying." She demands playfully, patting her cheeks. "It's been a long time." She realises when she sees the subtle changes in the latter's facial features.

She matured over the two years and maybe being in a cold country made her skin glow even when she cries.

"Are you here to cry or are you here to see her?" She reminded the girl. "Smile a bit. I might think you're coming back for a funeral."

Yujin presses her lips into a tiny smile, wiping the back of her ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter