Thirty-Five

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Yena sees the small barbecue restaurant they agreed to meet at, she quickly drags Yuri in.

"Ya! Jang Wonyoung!" She shrieks as if there were no customers around, running to the taller girl who stood up.

Yena ran and crashed into her, hugging her tightly. Wonyoung looks at Minju who had nothing to say. "What's wrong with you?" She peels the latter off her.

"I just missed an old face. You didn't say you were coming back. We could've picked you up or something and thrown you a party. Wah, it's been two years. Did you get taller?"

Yuri pulls her to sit down before she tries doing something. "Don't tell people you're my girlfriend. I don't know you." She warns, always having to feel embarrassed with Yena's unhinged behaviour.

But she loves her, nonetheless.

They all looked at Minju who had Minhyun lying on her shoulder, napping.

"What happened to him? Is he dead?" Yena pokes the guy's shoulder.

"He just came back from freshmen orientation." Everyone knows seniors don't get enough sleep at camps like this. They had to take care of juniors so they wouldn't get everyone in trouble.

"Let him be." Wonyoung lifts him off Minju's shoulder, letting him lie back against the cushioned seat.

They start cooking the meat as Yena prepares the drinks, shaking the soju bottle here and there.

"Don't make one for me. I have to get up early tomorrow." Yuri told her.

"Aye, we'll all be drinking today. She came back after two years." Yena mixed the beer with soju, sliding it to her girlfriend. "Don't worry, I'll bring you home."

"I doubt you'll make it." Minju quickly shoves a lettuce wrap into , earning a glare from Yena.

"I know how to wake him up." Yena takes a piece of freshly grilled meat, making a wrap. She hovers the juicy bundle of joy under Minhyun's nose, eventually waking him up. "Finally." She hands him a cup of the drink she made.

"Drink. You'll feel awake."

He was confused for a few seconds before remembering where he was.

...

Before they knew it, everyone except Wonyoung and Yuri got drunk. They've spent four hours in the same restaurant, talking and eating their hearts out.

Minhyun was tipsy but he was fine, still drinking as if he hasn't touched alcohol for ages. Wonyoung looks at him. "You can stop. They're all out." She looks at Minju who found a place to nap on her lap.

"Someone has to finish everything." He points at two opened bottles of soju and a few pieces of meat. "I'm fine."

She was a little concerned, not knowing how he could take that much alcohol.

Yena had her head against Yuri's shoulder, smiling with her eyes closed. She had too much fun playing around with the drinks and drinking them to her heart's content.

Wonyoung orders one more plate of beef so Minhyun wouldn't be drinking plain. "What's up with you? Since when can you take more than a bottle without dropping?"

The guy shrugs. "I just can." That means he has been drinking frequently for the past two years.

Alcohol isn't a good thing within this friend group. It always evokes unknown feelings a person feels.

Wonyoung grills the meat, placing some on Yuri's and Minhyun's plates. "How's your mom?"

"Nothing new," he said.

"Dad?"

"The same."

Wonyoung sighs. His dry response was hinting something. "What is it?"

Before he could say anything else, Yuri says, "We'll get going first before she can barely walk." She lifts Yena's arm around her shoulder.

The two nodded, waving as they left the restaurant. Wonyoung looks at him, waiting for an answer.

He knew he couldn't avoid it. "He wants an arranged marriage." He looks at Minju, shaking his head, not wanting to think about it.

"Arranged marriage? Why? Just because he hasn't seen her?"

"You know what he's like. He gets what he wants and I can't do anything."

"Have you told her?" She looks at Minju who slept like a baby.

"It's either she meets him or he'll do what he wants. But she doesn't want to. I don't know what's holding her back. What's so difficult about meeting my parents? You've met my parents, is it scary?"

Wonyoung gently caresses the side of Minju's head. "Not to me."

"This time I can't go against him. I have to listen but I don't know what else to do if she doesn't want to see him. I can't force her to if she's not ready." He badly doesn't want this to be the end of everything.

Chaewon's incident was detrimental to the Kim Family. His dad had to do everything possible to cover everything up so their family's reputation wouldn't get tarnished. If he goes against him one more time, he is likely to get disowned despite being the family's only son.

Minhyun dips his head, lazily grabbing the cup. "If only she were you," he says, gulping the beer.

"Ya—"

"I'm not wrong. If she were you, he won't ask for an arranged marriage. Just because he has no idea who she is and where she comes from, accepting her would be impossible."

Wonyoung knew he was talking about family relations. It has always been like this as they grew up. But Wonyoung has never thought of him as something more, neither did he.

Their mothers are best friends and now their fathers are inseparable golf buddies who have a business together.

But the only thing she saw was him not even trying. If he loves her, he would. However, Wonyoung has never heard of the brunette whenever they have family gatherings. As if he doesn't talk about her to convince his parents enough.

Oh, she hates how he's handling things.

"I'm wasting my time." He pours the last bit of soju into his shot glass.

"What did you say?" Wonyoung's eyebrows knitted, watching him put down the glass.

"Let's go." Minhyun stands up, asking her to hand Minju over to him.

Wonyoung sighs, aware of his short temper at the moment. There are things he has been trying to keep to himself. She ever wonders what the past two years were like for Minju. There's always a reason why Wonyoung has never seen him as the guy for others. Especially Minju.

Wonyoung gently rouses the sleeping brunette up. "You're dad told you to go home. I'll bring her with me."

"What—"

"He wants to talk to you. He called me earlier when you were sleeping." Wonyoung wasn't going to leave Minju with him. She was only telling the truth.

Minhyun had a moment of hesitation but knew his father has a particularly good relationship with Wonyoung. The man loves her around and treats her like his own daughter.

"Make sure she's safe. I'll text you the address." He says it like he's demanding.

Wonyoung pestered him to leave as he ran out of the restaurant. She sighs, looking at Minju who was long gone on the cushioned seat.

"Come on." She gently takes the girl's arm. Minju's drunk smile made her look pathetically adorable. There was no way she was able to walk.

Wonyoung decides to carry her, placing the latter's arms around her neck. Pilates and gym for the past two years helped her out.

She exits the restaurant and flags for a cab passing by. Carefully placing the brunette in, she goes to the other side. The last thing she'll do is let her go back herself.

Wonyoung told the driver the address and off they went. When she notices Minju's head constantly hitting the window, she gently pulls her over so she could lie against her shoulder.

Today was the first time and after a long time, she saw that particular whisker smile on Minju's face. Although that smile was associated with being in this current state, at least she was having fun.

Minju suddenly sat up, confused. "Hm? What?"

Wonyoung guides her back onto her shoulder. "Sleep." The brunette figured out who it was and hugged Wonyoung's arm.

...

Minhyun walked with heavy steps back to the apartment after having a conversation with his father. It was the same topic that he didn't want to entertain.

He unlocks the door and enters into complete darkness. He goes into the room straightaway to see Minju comfortably tucked into bed.

Feeling a little exhausted, he plunges into the swivel chair of the desk and holds onto his throbbing head. Trying to clear his mind, he notices a pink notebook that wasn't there before.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter