Twenty-Four

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yena strolls along the hallway and slips into Yuri's class. There she realises the girl wasn't in her seat, neither was Minju.

She sat in Yuri's seat and looked around, wondering where they went just to see Wonyoung and Yujin standing outside the class. "So those two got together." She concludes when she sees Yujin's arm around Wonyoung's shoulder. They were going somewhere but Yena couldn't be bothered.

She was busy missing Yuri who has yet to give in to her.

Nako turns around in her seat. "Jealous?" Yena nearly jumps out of her seat. She sat facing the back of the class.

She noticed the girl who was talking and sat properly. "May I help you?"

Nako laughs. "I'm Nako. Wonyoung's friend." She has also noticed the recent changes in class. Wonyoung meeting up with Yujin more often, Minju is always out of the class.

"I'm Yena."

"I know. Yujin's friend."

Yena was impressed to be noticed by others. "What's up?"

"Nothing. I was wondering if you were jealous."

Yena points at herself. "Me?" Nako nods. "Why would I be jealous?"

"They're all getting together but you're still waiting for Yuri."

"You're quite observant." The girl pushes her chair in, intrigued.

"I have nothing else better to do," Nako confesses. "I notice everything in this class. No one can escape my eyes. Like a CCTV."

Yena decides to take advantage of this opportunity. "Then do you know if Yuri thinks about me?"

"I'm not a shaman or a fortune teller. I don't do miracles nor do I read people's minds." Nako shakes her head at those expectations of hers.

"What miracles..." Yena tuts. "Then do you know where Yuri went?"

"Library," Nako said. "She's always studying. Shouldn't you know that?"

"Studying?" They've just ended mock exams not long ago. She didn't know Yuri was one to be studying without them.

"You should go find her. I heard something bad happened. Neither do I see her studying but she has been studying hard recently."

Yena was confused because Yuri seemed totally fine every other day, texting her happily. She does admit they don't have those in-depth, heart-to-heart talks. Just Yena being a clown most of the time.

She quickly heads to the library to find the girl. As she walks down the aisles, going through shelves, she saw no signs of Yuri.

She started off at the most popular place until she goes to the corners where no one usually goes to. The dimmest part of the library that wasn't filled with sunlight but with shelves of books and empty tables.

Since it was dead silent, she went on her tippy toes, trying to find Yuri.

She went from table to table, finally finding someone who was sleeping in the individual booths. The girl had her head on the table, books neatly placed in the corner.

Yena double-checks for the name on the books, confirming it was Yuri. "Why are you studying alone here..." She mumbles to herself, quietly grabbing a chair to join her.

Yena gently lifts the notebook from beneath the latter's arm so she would be more comfortable. Even though it was cold, she placed her jacket over Yuri, keeping her warm.

She knows Yuri's a heavy sleeper. She always falls asleep during their study sessions and it usually takes more than ten shakes or a loud blast of music to wake her up.

She wonders why Yuri is studying this hard. It wasn't like her to do so.

Yena lays her chin on the back of the chair (she's sitting facing the back of the chair), admiring the girl from where she is.

She does question her feelings for Yuri. Yuri's just an ordinary girl she came to know about because of Yujin. What's so good about Yuri that made Yena like her?

Nice? Not really, she can be a real brat sometimes. But to Yena, she's nice. Pretty? Very pretty. She's probably the most beautiful girl Yena has ever seen. Adorable too.

Yena doesn't have a preference. But being with Yuri made her feel different. Being with Yuri gives her a sense of responsibility. She wants to protect her, no idea why.

It's like finding the last piece of a puzzle for Yena. She may not have everything, but she wishes to give everything she has to Yuri.

Her little admiring gaze was cut short when Yuri flutters her eyes open. The first thing she sees is Yena and the gentle smile she always gives.

The girl slowly sits up, flustered. "What are you doing here?"

"Because you're here. Where else would I be?"

Yuri fixes her hair, realising her jacket wasn't hers. "Yours?" Yena hums. "Why?"

"Cold," she said. "Why are you here alone? What are you studying for?" Yena looks at the papers.

"Exam."

"It just ended."

"The next one."

"Why?" Yena would only study two weeks before a paper. But the next paper is in two months.

Yuri sighs, flipping open her workbook. "Because I have to. My grades now can't get me to med school."

"You're going to med school?"

"I need to."

"You don't want to?"

"I have no choice." Yuri starts solving the hundredth math question for the day.

"Why do you have no choice?" Yena genuinely asks. "You should do what you want to do." She clearly doesn't know how Yuri lives.

"If you don't do what you want to do, you'll regret it."

"Everyone knows that." Yuri grabs another book from the pile. "We all do something we'll regret later on."

"Then don't do it." Simple-minded.

Yuri lets out a small sigh and looks at her. "Life isn't that easy. From the moment I entered this world, my parents have decided that I'll be a doctor." She shrugs. "I can't do anything about that."

Yena came to a realisation. It was something they both couldn't hinder with. She just couldn't get why parents have a say in their lives as if it's theirs.

Well, they did birth them. But they don't have the right to choose what their children's future would be like, let alone force them to live it.

"You know what you can do?" Yuri hums. "Just submit the admission form without them knowing and choose what you want to do. It's that simple." Yena jokes, hearing a small chuckle from the girl.

"It's a slip of paper that we can hide from them."

"And hide our whole future from them. Are you okay?" Yuri pats the latter's head, afraid her brain might have gone into the water to be thinking like that.

"No, I'm not okay." Yena melts into her touch. "But do you really have no choice? Have you tried convincing them?" She knows Yuri wants to be a singer from what Minju told her.

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't try. I'm not that dumb. Even if I have to study hard now, I know it'll be for my own good. What's so bad about being a doctor? I'll see blood but I'll also be rich." Yuri tries to think positively but the thought of working day and night scares her.

Yena sits closer. "Then I'll be a nurse. I'll help les

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter