English, German, and an Empty Grave

Lovelost Elegy

 

©Team AiMai

AmeDrops X KuronekoBurijio

Lovelost Elegy

Disclaimer: We do not own Hey! Say! JUMP or Johnny & Associates. All events are entirely fictional.

Lovelost Elegy Chapter 46: English, German, and an Empty Grave

Mitsuko blinked when she heard Keito thanking her in German. Shaking his hand, she sheepishly let’s go and looks down on the ground. Keito gave her a confused glance, and Mitsuko looked up, smiling.

“... He spoke German...” Mitsuko muttered to herself. Keito heard this and giggled.

“Well, thanks to the dictionaries I bought with Ryutaro. I sound weird, do I?” Keito admitted. The girl giggled and patted his back.

 

“N-Nein... Na ja, vielleicht ein bisschen ... Aber es ist in Ordnung .. Vielen Dank, Herr Okamoto” (N-no. Well, maybe a bit...  But it’s fine.. Thank you, Mr. Okamoto.) She blushed. Keito looked back, and smiled.

“ruft mich Keito wäre schön (Keito would be fine.)He clarified.

===

The next day, Keito arrived earlier than usual, and sat down on the usual stall place in the library, reviewing the German dictionaries he’d brought. As he squinted his eyes and grabbed his cell phone, he texted Mitsuko to meet him in the classroom instead.

Hours later, the bell finally rang, indicating that the first class was about to start.

For an hour and at least twenty minutes, the British teacher’s lectures were hell to young Mitsuko Endou. Sure, she’d copy down the notes, but listening was the better part. Not being able to comprehend with the lesson was an embarrassment. Keito nudged at her softly.

“Brauchen Sie Hilfe? “(Need help?) He asked in German. The way he speaks was a bit funny, but Mitsuko could tolerate it, hopefully.

“Das wäre schön, Keito. “(That would be nice, Keito) Mitsuko smiled and continued to copy notes.

“Thank you.” She muttered out of hearing, and in straight Japanese.

Japan wasn’t bad at all, the girl thought to herself. The bloody language barrier was still present, but that wasn’t about to let young Mitsuko down with the help of a new friend.

====

After a brief hour of eating lunch, the two proceeded to the library, where Keito would always stall as if it was his private place.

“Today, I’ll see if your English is improving. Pop quiz, nothing to worry about.” Keito told her calmly and handed her a sheet of paper.

Examining the paper, Mitsuko nodded.

“interessant ... Ich werde die Umsetzung dieser deutschen Text ins Englische?” (interesting... I’ll be translating these German text into English?) Mitsuko sat down and tried to do her work. As soon as the girl started with the quiz, her hands started shaking. The English texts she was thinking about was eventually replaced by the face of Keito. A small blush came along her face, dumbstruck as she only got to translate at least five sentences.

 “Mitsuko....”

“Mitsuko...”

Mitsuko heard Keito’s voice and she was startled a little bit. She just stared at him. It took a minute for Keito’s word to register.

“... Mitsuko?” She thought.

“You’re staring in space. Are you alright?” He asked worriedly. Mitsuko just nodded but squinted otherwise.

“I don’t think that you’re really alright. What’s eating you?” Keito asked with his eyebrows furrowed.

“Umm ... Sie rief mich Mitsuko?”(Umm... you called me Mitsuko?)the girl finally spoke directly.

Keito scanned the pages of his dictionary and found the words that he heard from Mitsuko.

“You’re Japanese name is Mitsuko, right? I saw it on your information sheet.” He reasoned out, puzzled.

“... Now this is interesting.” He thought to himself.”

“W-Wirklich? Es tut mir leid ... Es ist nur, dass ich nicht die Leute mit meinem japanischen Namen verwendet. Sie würden mich anrufen Remielle, sonst ...”(R-really? I’m sorry... It’s just that I’m not used to people using my Japanese name. They’d call me Remielle, otherwise... )Mitsuko admitted.  

“Auf der anderen Seite, ich glaube, ich rufe dich an Remi” (On the other hand, I think I’ll call you Remi—)  Keito’s words stopped when Mitsuko shook her head.

“Es ist in Ordnung, Keito ... Ich denke, der Name ist Mitsuko in Ordnung mit mir.”(It’s alright, Keito... I think, the name Mitsuko is alright with me.) She smiled.

===

 Keito drove to the cemetery, eager to see and talk to his best friend, at least.  

Staring at the clean marble gravestone, he sighed, the smooth rock and feeling the embossed letters.

Morimoto Ryutaro

Crouching down, tears suddenly fell from his cheeks as he let out a small insincere chuckle.

“Idiot. I know you aren’t dead yet. I can feel it.”

No answer.

“Please be alive, Ryu. Fumi-senpai is acting differently right now... She’s lost your parents, and she can’t lose you.” Keito wiped his tears away and coughed.

The wind caressing his face, he suddenly thought of Mitsuko.

“You know, I found an interesting person. I think you know her already.”

Still no answer.

 “You might be laughing at me right now but it just happened.”

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

“Yuto!!! Wait for me you stupid sprinting bastard!” Mieko swore at Yuto’s figure, causing everyone to look at the small girl. Some people were distraught, thinking that this “Yuto” must be an irresponsible parent, letting his “daughter” swear like that.

Yuto stopped dead in his tracks as he waited for Mieko.

“Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, you midget?!” Yuto crossed his arms and shook his head angrily, apologizing to the bystanders.

Mieko gave him a kick in the shins and went on her way, disappointed with a childish pout etched on her face.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Kota squinted and sighed at the sight of the books before him. As much as he wanted to ace the exams planned for the next week, the death of someone made him distracted. He heard something shuffling around and turned his back, only to see the young librarian fixing the shelf.

“Even the books are mourning for Fumichan’s brother...” The librarian muttered to herself.

To be continued~