Ang Nasanay

Shy Type
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey Win, how was class?” 

 

Everything just fell into place. I don’t know how we got here but the more I got to spend time with Winter, the more I felt comfortable around her. And I don’t think it was just because of the bet. At one point, Winter just kept showing up.

 

It wasn’t just after the day ended, it was in between classes when I’d find myself wandering the school and she’d be there. It was also during lunch, sa mga araw na sumasabay sila kumain sa amin nila Lia at Giselle. She’d sit right in front of me and to her left is Ning, to her right is Chae. And they’d laugh so hard, mapapatawa na rin ako. 

 

May mga bagay akong nalalaman about her just by watching her interact with her best friend. Ang lakas niya palang tumawa. And a prankster! She’d tease Ning nonstop, pati si Chaeryeong nadadamay sa kalokohan ng dalawa. At dahil dun, mas nagiging close na kami nila Ning and Chae. 

 

And because of that, it was so much easier for me to act around her like how I am with the clingies. Sabi nga ni Yuyu to treat Winter like how I treat her. And so I did just that. 

 

Minsan hindi na ako nag se-second guess sa mga ginagawa ko. It was as easy as reaching out to squeeze her shoulders kung napapansin kong pagod siya, or throwing a smile her way when I’d see her pass by. 

 

Ewan ko kung paano na kami palagi nagkikita pero yun na nga. Kahit dun sa bet, may naging unspoken agreement kami sa paghintayan namin sa isa’t-isa. I don’t know when it all started. It just happened.

 

Hindi na nga kailangan ni Yuyu sabihan pa si Winter na hintayin ako or ihatid ako sa bahay. Along the way, we just kind of memorized each other’s schedule. I mean, pareho lang naman talaga sila ni Yuyu ng schedule except sa mga orgs nila. 

 

Kaya pag nakikita ko na siya minsan, I’d ask her how her day went and she’d regale me about her classes. Minsan nagtatampo na nga si Yuyu kasi daw hindi ko na siya pinapansin. 

 

Lies. 

 

I always go to her first before anything. It’s her way of saying she misses me. Di naman ako yung palaging busy. Kaya nga diba si Winter ang palagi kong kasama? 

 

“Parang di ko na love ang math,” Winter complained. Naglalakad kami papuntang CJ’s para magpa-print. She’d just ended her meeting sa org and I’d just finished doing my work at the library. 

 

I’d texted her then that I needed to print something before I needed to go home. Ang sabi niya samahan daw niya ako. Tuesday ngayon and I didn’t have my car. I was supposed to go home with Yuyu pero may iba siyang gagawin. 

 

So here we are. 

 

“Why?” 

 

“Sakit sa ulo. Information overload sa major subjects at sa org.” She took the books that I was carrying for one of my classes. 

 

“Paturo ka kay Yuyu.”

 

“Never!” I laughed. One thing I found out about Winter is that she’s so proud of her being so good at Math. “Sabi ko information overload, hindi sa hindi ko gets. Mas magaling ako kay Ryujin no. No offense.”

 

“But you lost the bet.”

 

“One time lang yun!” 

 

“You still lost.” 

 

She pouted and blew her bangs away from her forehead. Ang cute talaga. “Hindi sana ako inaalipin ngayon.” 

 

Napahinto ako. I frowned. “Do you think na inaalipin kita?” I moved to grab my books from her pero nilayo niya ito kaagad sa akin. 

 

“Joke lang, ikaw hindi ka naman mabiro!” 

 

“I don’t like that joke,” I replied, voice lower than normal. “Do you actually feel that way? Kasi hindi ka naman obligated tapusin yung bet.” I looked away from her, feeling a little embarrassed. 

 

“Hala,” gulat niyang pagsabi. “Karina, joke lang yun. Sorry, di ko alam…I mean sorry, hindi mo ako inaalipin, okay? We’re good. I like hanging out with you.” 

 

Hindi na ako nagsalita. I just nodded and continued walking towards CJ’s. 

 

I just felt…weird and guilty. She said she was just joking pero I didn’t feel good about it kasi nga labag naman sa loob niya to ginagawa in the first place. 

 

“Hoy, Karina,” she tugged at my bag. “Sorry na. Joke lang yun. Bilhan kita banana-que.” 

 

“It’s fine. I’ll get over it.” I gave her a small smile. “Tara na.” 

 

“Sure?” she asked worriedly. “Sorry ulit.”

 

“Hey, I’m okay. Nag-iinarte lang. Sorry din.” I reassured her. “Pero buy me banana-que pa rin.” 

 

Nag smile na siya ulit at hinihila na niya ako papuntang CJ’s. We finished quickly and pumunta agad ng Giddy’s to buy banana-que.

 

“Hindi ko akalain na gusto mo ang mga food na ganito.” She bit on her banana-que as we walked back to the parking area. 

 

“Why?” 

 

“Ewan ko. Hindi ka kasi mukhang kumakain ng ganito.” 

 

“Ano ba mukha ko?” 

 

She looked at me. Nailang tuloy ako. I still can’t get used to her stares.

“Maganda.” 

 

Napaubo ako and literally spat the banana-que I just bit. “Wh-what?” I stammered, covering my mouth. Hinihimas naman ni Winter yung likod ko.

 

“Alam mo ang weird mo.” She was patting my back na. “Ang sabi ko, wala lang sa itsura mo kumakain ng street food kasi mukha kang maarte.” 

 

“O-okay.” I finally calmed down and took a deep breath. Sometimes, I need a warning sign for all the things Winter says to me. And she always does things like this – stop me in my tracks and make me think. 

 

“Uwi na tayo.” 



Giselle and Lia have been in my case lately. 

 

Tambay na ako sa library dati pa but I’ve been going there too much according to Lia. In my defense, we needed to finalize our proposal for the thesis soon so I’ve been poring over it in the last few days. 

 

My being in the library was normal. Plus minsan, kasama ko naman sila. It just so happens that I’m there most of the time because I wait for Winter. 

 

“Heading home, KK?” Giselle asked. 

 

“Yeah. I’m just going to wait for Winter.” She smirked and then eyed Lia, who gave her a similar smile. I raised my brow at them. 

 

“You’re getting too used to it, KK. That’s what? Almost everyday you’re with her now?” Lia mused. 

 

“What?” Tiningnan ko silang dalawa who were just smiling at me. “Hindi ako makakauwi if hindi ko siya hintayin.”

 

“You literally have your car.”

 

“Yeah...but...Yuyu is using it.” I argued. Wait, why are they ganging up on me? “Gi! What are you trying to say?” 

 

“Sure, boo. Just…we’re happy you’re happy. Right Lia?” 

 

“Yes. Proud of you, honey.” Lia pinched my cheek before sila bumeso sa akin. “See you tomorrow!” 

 

That made me think. Was I getting used to our arrangement? It’s only been almost three weeks pero it felt like it has been a while na rin. Hindi naman yata ganun? 

 

I think it’s because nagiging close na rin kami ni Winter. Isn’t this what they wanted as well? To befriend Winter?

 

And then what Lia told me echoed in my head again. Winter has that aura that makes you feel comfortable. 

 

Sa totoo lang, oo. It was uncomfortable at first but that was my doing. Ako yung awkward. Ako yung hindi marunong dumala ng conversation. I was the one who avoided her stares and stammered my way through a conversation. 

 

Kasi never naman niya pinafeel na malaking burden yung ginagawa niya for me, even though she joked about being alipin. She never complained or showed in her face na ayaw niya akong makasama.

 

As a matter of fact, sa mga times na hinihintay niya ako and she had nothing to do, she simply sat beside me and played games on her phone. Or read a book. 

 

There was one time na nakatulog ako while doing my research. I didn’t know she was at the library but I woke up and she was beside me, playing games on her phone. 

 

“Uwi na tayo?” was all she said when I opened my eyes. Naalimpungatan pa nga ako kasi I thought I was just imagining her. 

 

So now that I think about it, everything just felt so normal. Winter was just…there. 

 

Pero getting used to it isn’t such a bad thing, diba? 

 

“Hey, did you wait long?” Tanong ko sa kanya when I found her waiting for me sa labas ng library. “Maaga kayong natapos?” 

 

“No, kakatapos lang. Maaga kami pinauwi. May date yata si Ma’am Byul.” She smirked before getting up from leaning against the wall. 

 

I put my hand on her shoulder. “How was it?” 

 

“Same same. Math.” She hiked her bag up her shoulder and I helped wear the other strap. “Tara?” 

 

I nodded. “Let’s go home.” 

 

Palagi na akong hinahatid sa bahay ni Winter but never pa ako sinundo. It’s not convenient for her, plus there was never a reason for her to do it anyway kasi Yuyu is there in the morning.

 

So, I was surprised when I saw Winter’s cute Suzuki Swift outside the gate instead of Yuyu waiting for me sa car ko. 

 

I didn’t even get a text from either of them. 

 

Winter got out of the car at sinalubong ako, an explanation ready in her lips. “Bigla akong tinext ni Ryujin na sunduin ka daw kasi hindi siya makasabay sayo. May emergency meeting daw yung PDT.” Tumaas yung kilay ko. “Nagtataka din ako bakit ang aga.” 

 

“She could’ve texted me,” I muttered. “Sorry, Winter. I know it’s out of your way. My car is literally inside. I could’ve just driven.” 

 

“Okay lang, Karina.” Inabot ko yung bag ko kay Winter and she put it in the backseat. “Good morning pala.” 

 

“Good morning,” I smiled as I sat in the passenger seat. Before I could even buckle my seatbelt, nagulat lang ako dahil nasa driver’s side na si Winter holding out a tumbler. 

 

“Minention ni Ryujin na nag tsaa ka daw sa umaga minsan. Uhm, na-notice ko lang jasmine green tea palagi mong iniinom na milk tea so nag brew lang din ako ng jasmine tea.” 

 

Hindi ko alam if the shiver that ran down my spine was because of the AC or because kinikilig ako. 

 

Kinikilig?

 

Oh my god.

 

Not only did she guess my favourite tea just from observing what kind of milk tea I drink, but she also made it herself? 

 

“Sabi ni Ryujin na loose leaf tea daw gusto mo? So yan, di lang yan tea bag ha.” She added. Once again, shivers.

 

This was…unexpected. In a good way?

 

I don’t even think Yuyu asked her to do this.

 

I think I sat there staring at her for a good minute trying to process the whole thing. Kinikilig ba ako? Hindi ko na rin alam kung anong sinabi ko sa kanya after I whispered, “that’s like my favourite tea,” because I was just stunned. 

 

Si Yuyu lang kasi ang gumagawa ng tea for me. 

 

“Karina, okay ka lang?” Winter waved her hands in front of me and I just shook my head, trying to get a hold of myself.

 

Okay lang yata kiligin? Pwede naman kiligin with friends right?

 

“Yeah. Thanks, Win,” I said breathlessly. Para kasing nawalan ako ng hangin. 

 

“Hindi ko alam kung masarap yan.”

 

I smiled at her. “I’m sure it’s great.” 

 

I gingerly took a sip of the tea and —

 

Walang lasa. And may dahon pa. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter