Ang Nahuli

Shy Type
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This whole bet thing has been keeping me on my toes. 

 

Hindi lang ako mapakali anticipating Yuyu’s next plan for Winter. I felt ridiculous na I’m always looking around lang to see if Winter would just show up or something. 

 

So far, nothing crazy has happened except when Winter showed up with a tumbler full of water with lemon and cucumbers the next day after nung milk tea thing na ginawa niya. 

 

“Nag detox ka daw sabi ni Ryujin,” she said with a childish grin on her face.

 

We were at the parking area. Ang aga-aga sinalubong ako agad ni Winter. 

 

She was waiting in her car and was parked just near my usual spot. When we got out, nagulat lang ako when I came face to face with her. Ang aga but she was already so full of energy.

 

Inabot niya kaagad sa akin yung tumbler. I gave back her hanky, that I personally hand washed and pressed, in exchange. 

 

My lips twitched when I saw her face brighten — yes, even brighter than when she handed me the detox water. 

 

“I don’t know kung magugustuhan mo pero nilagyan ko siya ng mint.” Sinabi niya ng mahina and chuckled awkwardly before siya tumingin sa akin and then kay Yuyu as if asking for validation sa ginawa niya.

“T-Thank you…Winter,” I said quietly. Dumbfounded lang ako sa nangyari. Ang aga kasi. Wala pang eight and it’s not like her fluffy face was an unwelcome sight…it was just unexpected.  

 

Yuyu was there. She saw the whole thing. She looked proud at Winter pero natatawa lang siya sa akin. Kasi my mouth was just agape the whole time, stammering my thanks while simultaneously gobsmacked by the whole exchange. 

 

“Hindi ko siya sinabihan na bigyan ka ng detox water,” bulong ni Yuyu sa akin when we started walking. “Sabi ko lang nag dedetox ka.” She giggled uncontrollably, hiding her face in my arm. “Kuhang-kuha pa niya yung pa mint na gustong-gusto mo.” 

 

I didn’t know what to make of that information. Just then, I felt goosebumps prick at my skin and I don’t know if it was the chilly wind that blew past my face or…

 

I shook my head at the thought and pinched Yuyu’s side. Tawa pa rin kasi siya ng tawa.

 

This girl…totally unaware lang ako sa lahat. 

 

It really made me think kung ano pang information ang binigay ni Yuyu to Winter about me. 

 

Nothing too private or embarrassing, I hope. 

 

So I’ve been alert lately. I conditioned myself to just expect the unexpected and just go with it. Nasimulan na nga, Yuyu said. 

 

When I told Lia and Giselle about Yuyu’s little mission, they had a good laugh. Natuwa pa si Lia that Yuyu took a fun approach.

 

Natural lang daw.

 

I beg to disagree. Hindi natural when you’re forced to do something out of your will. 

 

Giselle was a little skeptical, too. Kasi daw with my personality and my inability to handle unplanned things properly, baka mag backfire daw. Mas mapalayo lang daw ako kay Winter.

 

“KK, I feel like you’ll just be hiya the whole time and will avoid Winter instead!”

 

Exactly my thoughts, Giselle!

 

“Plus, how will this convince Winter that you and RJ are not magjowa?” 

 

Same thoughts again, Giselle! 

 

But Lia argued and said to look at it positively. Kasi Winter is very likeable and very approachable. May aura daw siya that makes you want to let go of your inhibitions. And doing the “tasks,” as she aptly named it, would make Winter realize na hindi kami ni Yuyu.

 

“Also, it doesn’t look like Winter minds? Bet you she’s enjoying it.” Lia said. “Look at the detox water she gave you! Looks like she made it with care.” She giggled. 

 

They just kept going back and forth at it. I stopped listening to them halfway. I was getting tired of it na rin. 

 

Then they asked me what Winter did the first time.

 

“Winter suddenly showed up at the library with milk tea. I was really surprised. Yuyu asked her to give it to me.” 

 

“Oh my gosh, and then?” Lia’s eyes were sparkling with interest. 

 

“Nothing? Sinamahan niya ako sa labas uminom ng milk tea until she had to leave and that’s it.” Sinabi ko na lang, leaving out one particular incident. I wouldn’t hear the end of it kung sasabihin ko pa sa kanila.

 

“Oh my gosh, this is so elementary.” Lia gushed. “I love it! So wholesome! Remind me to libre RJ. Our little KK is finally going to have a girlfriend.”

 

I sighed, annoyed. There was no point fighting them about it. Nakakapagod na mag-deny when they don’t even believe me. So, whatever na lang. 




Monday morning and it was my turn to drive. I picked up Yuyu sa kanila and lumabas siya ng walang suklay! Na-late na naman ng gising.

 

She hasn’t even properly put on her tie or her cufflinks. She looked so dishevelled as she ran from their front door and to my car. 

 

“Grabe, my alarm didn’t go off!” She said a little out of breath. “Buti nakaligo.” She buckled her seatbelt. 

 

Basa pa nga buhok niya when I reached out to touch it. 

 

“Did you get to eat breakfast?” Umiling lang siya as she took a deep breath. I clicked my tongue at her. “Hay naku.” I only muttered before driving away. 

 

She was combing her hair with her fingers and turned off the AC sa car. Binuksan niya yung bintana. “Para mabilis ma-dry buhok ko, Yuyu.” 

 

I glanced at her briefly, nodding. I opened the rest of the windows na lang. Good thing it wasn’t that hot that morning. There was still a little chill in the air. 

 

A moment later, biglang nagmura si Yuyu. 

 

I looked at her, worried. “What’s wrong?” 

 

“Nakalimutan kong i-charge yung phone ko kagabi.” She whined. “May charger ka ba?” 

 

I told her to look through the glove box to see if I brought my extra. Naghalungkat siya pero wala siyang nakitang extra iphone charger. 

 

“Makihiram na lang ako kina Winter baka meron sila.”

 

“Okay. Just let me know, then.”

 

“Makikitext na lang ako kung hindi ako makahanap ng charger.”

 

I drove past the security guard sa gate and to the parking area. “Okay.” 

 

I smiled a little when I saw that no one else took my spot. I easily reversed and parked.

 

Before kami lumabas ng car, I helped Yuyu with her cufflinks and straightened her tie. I brushed her hair with my fingers at inayos yung bangs niya. It was getting long na rin. Kahit kailan, she is so dugyotin. 18 and still a baby. 

 

Nakita naman namin sila Winter and Ning walking from the gate and immediately, Yuyu elbowed me, getting my attention. I only hissed at her before I linked my arm with hers. 

 

Hinintay namin sila ng saglit. 

 

“May detox water ka kaya ulit, Yuyu?” She teased. Inirapan ko na lang siya. 

 

Binati nila kami when they got closer and we started walking together.

 

There was no detox water this time. 

 

Before we separated, I turned to hug Yuyu, as I usually do. 

 

“See you guys later,” I waved at the other two before going to my class. 

 

As usual, Lia and Giselle were already in class and saved my seat. Kahit na we’re well in the middle of the school year, sinesave parin nila seat ko as if di alam ng iba that I sit there. 

 

Mabilis lang kami nag beso before I settled down. 

 

“Did Winter do anything this morning? Any detox water?” Lia giggled. 

 

“Nope.” Sabi ko na lang as I got out the reading for today’s class. 

 

People started trickling inside the class as it was about to start. Not long after ay dumating na rin prof namin.

 

The class felt quick. Two hours flew by so quickly, parang wala akong naretain sa lecture namin. We had a discussion due by the end of the day. To be emailed by 11:59 pm. 

 

To be honest, hindi naman mahirap. Pero we could’ve just done this in class. Our prof had too much fun story telling about her weekend. Minsan talaga I wonder what goes on with these profs outside of school. 

 

Kasi some of them are quite young and unmarried. 

 

I was getting ready for my second class when my phone suddenly vibrated. 

 

A text from an unknown number? Sunod-sunod pa yung texts.

 

 

 

[11:14am, Monday] Unknown Number: yuyu my phone died

[11:14am, Monday] Unknown Number: wala akong mahanap na charger

 

 

Ah, it’s Yuyu. 

 

 

[11:15am, Monday] Unknown Number: number to ni winter 😛

[11:15am, Monday] Unknown Number: save mo na 😘

[11:16am, Monday] Unknown Number: baka di na rin ako maka lunch. maraming tatapusin

 

 

 

I did what I was told and immediately saved Winter’s number. Just in case na din. Now that I think about it, I don’t have any of the Three Musketeers’ numbers. Wala pala akong matawagan in case of emergencies. 

 

Buti na lang. 

 

 

 

[11:18am, Monday] Karina: okay 

[11:18am, Monday] Karina: i’ll bring you food na lang later

[11:19am, Monday] Karina: you haven’t had breakfast

[11:19am, Monday] Karina: how about winter?

 

 

 

Oh .

 

Nanlaki mata ko when I hit the send button instead of the backspace. Nag follow-up text na lang ako kaagad to correct myself. 

 

 

 

[11:20am, Monday] Karina: sila winter**

 

 

 

I busied myself with something else na lang so I won’t overthink about the text. Nagkamali lang ako. 

 

It’s a good thing I only have this one hour class left before lunch. 

 

 

 

[11:26am, Monday] Winter: hi karina si winter na to ^_^

[11:26am, Monday] Winter: umalis lang saglit si ryujin

[11:27am, Monday] Winter: okay na rin kami sa food tenkyu po ≧◠‿◠≦✌

 

 

 

Ang cute ng emoticon. 

 

 

[11:28am, Monday] Karina: okay winter 




 

“Hey boo, I’ll go ahead sa caf. I’ll just buy Yuyu lunch.” I grabbed my bag. “I’ll see you guys later.” 

 

While I was lining up to buy food, napaisip ako if I should get the other three something to eat. Winter said they were okay naman. Pero it doesn’t hurt to have extra food. 

 

Pwede na yata sandwiches? I’ll just get the four of them some sandwiches para madaling kainin.

 

Magtetext na sana ako kay Yuyu when I remembered that her phone was out of commission and was using Winter’s. 

 

I hesitated if I should send a message…but then again, paano ko mabibigay yung food kung hindi ko alam kung nasaan sila? I relented. At least hindi mapapansin yung hiya sa text, right? 

 

 

 

[1:12pm, Monday] Karina: hi winter where are you?

 

 

 

Normal lang. Like texting a friend — I mean she is a friend.

 

I paid for their food. Nakita ko si Lia and Giselle na kakarating lang sa caf so I waved at them before ako umalis. I signalled that I’ll be back. 

 

 

 

[1:13pm, Monday] Winter: hi karina ^_^ nasa levesville hall kami 

 

[1:14pm, Monday] Karina: okay pls tell yuyu i have her lunch

 

[1:14pm, Monday] Winter: owkie (^^)b

 

[1:15pm, Monday] Karina: i bought food for you guys too

 

[1:15pm, Monday] Winter: >:O

 

 

 

I smiled a little at her last message. Ang cute lang ng emoticons niya. It totally checks out na Winter is a cute texter. Definitely matches her puppy face. 

 

Not long after ay nakarating din ako sa Levesville Hall. It wasn’t far from the caf – like a five minute walk lang.

 

My eyes scanned the place until it fell on a familiar face.

 

I couldn’t help but notice how long her hair grew already. It’s almost shoulder length. Her fringe was getting long too. Para na siyang shaggy maltese kasi nag fly away yung fringe niya.

 

“Hey,” I greeted them. Suddenly, para akong na deja vu. I think this happened already. 

 

Inabot ko yung sandwiches kay Yuyu after she hugged me. “I bought food for you guys.” 

 

“Ang bait-bait mo talaga, Karina!” Yes, definitely Ning has said this to me before. In a very similar situation. And nakatingin lang din si akin si Winter. It all felt too familiar. “Thank you po sa food. Amen.” 

 

Natawa ako when Ning started doing the sign of the cross sa supot, as if she was blessing it. 

 

Nag thank you na rin si Chaeryeong and Winter sa akin. I reminded Yuyu to eat kasi hindi pa siya nag breakfast. 

 

Di pa rin mawala yung comments ni Ning about how sweet I was to Yuyu, pati na rin daw sa kanila. Kasi kung iba daw, hindi binibigyan ng food yung ibang kasama. 

 

Nag smile na lang ako and said that since they are Yuyu’s friends, they are mine too. 

 

Tinanong din

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter