Phone calls

My red thread of destiny

More than a month had passed since the day of Momo's car accident and the girl was finally fine, without the cast on her leg. She didn't feel like she was free again to move normally and without having to ask for help with anything, but she at least realized she could count on her all her roommates and she was happy about it. For the dance competition, on the other hand, she hadn't made it in time and had given up, without asking Mina to participate in her place.

"Thank you for taking me to remove the cast, they are all busy today" she smiled at her sister-in-law "even though I know very well that you did it to drive my sister's car I'll pretend nothing happened"

Chaeyoung smiled amused "am I such a predictable person? Yet I did my best to hide the love I feel for this car"

"It's obvious, even the walls know it" Momo's shoulders were a little tense: sitting in the car frightened her a lot and she was doing her best not to let anyone notice, always trying to distract herself and hoping that every journey would end quickly.

The other girl, like all the others, was already aware of this and it was precisely because of Momo's anxiety that she was driving with much more attention than usual, paying attention to every little thing "talking about cars: have you already decided which one to buy? Now you can go back to driving and I expect to see a car worthy of you"

The brunette felt a tightening in her stomach, but tried to smile "I'm still thinking about it, at the moment I would like to buy one for Jihyo so as not to let her go around on foot or by public transport. I don't want to see her go home soaked again because of the rain, it makes me nervous "

"You are very sweet, I am not surprised that your sisters adore you and that Jihyo has fallen in love with you. It is really true that you shouldn't judge a book by her cover"

"This is a phrase my sister often says, are you letting yourself be infected or am I wrong?" Momo smiled amused.

Chaeyoung parked the car in the usual place and turned off the engine, smiling "unfortunately yes, I'm still reading a book and I've always hated reading. Love makes people do things that are sometimes unthinkable"

"It's true, I never thought I could fall in love with someone"

 

 

 

"You haven't been back for two months now, at least let me stay with you for a couple of days" insisted Dahyun, desperate "why do you keep saying no to me? I'm seriously starting to think about things that hurt me"

Sana sighed, looking down and not at the mobile screen "I have explained to you several times that I don't have time, if you came here I couldn't stay with you and it seems like a waste of your time. Do you understand?"

"You say you never have time, but as far as I could see to be with your secretary you find a lot of it"

"There's nothing between me and her, you don't even have to think about it" the brunette was looking at the screen again "you always said you had faith in me, what has changed?"

Dahyun looked up to hold back the tears "you, it was you who changed. You assured me that nothing would change between us, but the more the days go by the worse things get. You're never there, you don't even text me when you are free or to say goodnight and to make a video call I have to beg you, does it seem normal to you when you love someone?" she sniffed loudly "I miss you like air, but I have the impression you don't miss me at all and I feel a burden every time I look for you even just to ask if you have eaten"

Those words were like a punch in the stomach for Sana, who finally realized the pain she had caused to her girlfriend, how she had taken it for granted and hadn't thought about her feelings. She had refused and ignored her constantly, always showing herself available to other people and not even realizing what she was doing "you're right, I've changed"

"I don't want an apology or anything like that, just let me come to you to talk face to face. I'll leave right after and promise I won't bother you in any way. Please, I need to see you"

Sana felt very tired and heartbroken, but she had made a decision "don't come, it would be useless. Let's close it here, it is clear that we will never be able to make things work and, honestly speaking, I'm tired of this situation. I treated you bad and I will never forgive myself, the only way to see you return to being well is to let you free from this relationship. I'm sorry Dahyun, but I made my decision"

Dahyun's red eyes widened in surprise and more tears rolled down the girl's cheeks "I didn't say these things to get you away from me, I beg your pardon but don't leave me. I'll stop being nagging"

"You are not nagging and you were right to put the truth in my face, you should have done it before and spare yourself all the pain I see in your eyes. I really care about you and I have never had such strong feelings for anyone, but I repeat that I don't want to continue to hurt you. Respect my choice, I only ask you this"

"I can't accept it, don't be a coward and take responsibility if it is true that you care about me, come and pick me up at the airport and spend time with me. Two hours, not a minute more, I would like to see you in person and solve all of the problems that arose due to distance and lack of time"

Sana slowly shook her head, trying hard not to cry and to be seen impassive "I said no, from today you are free and I really hope you can finally be happy. Hi Dahyun, take care" she closed the call, allowing herself to cry.

A few seconds passed, which Dahyun spent staring at the cell phone screen, before she realized the situation "no, don't leave me" she whispered looking for Sana's contact to call her again, but just then she got a call from her father.

"I sent a taxi to get you, come to the hospital. Your grandmother's condition has worsened" the man said before closing the call, not even waiting for an answer.

Dahyun immediately got out of bed and ran out of the house, getting into the taxi after a few minutes. Her anxiety was devouring her and the grip she felt in her stomach didn't help. She held back her tears all the way, trying not to think about Sana and their breakup, but when she got to the hospital she burst into desperate tears right after seeing her father cry.

She fell to the ground on her knees covering her face with her hands, sobbing like she had never done before and getting to the point where she couldn't breathe well. She had lost the people she cared about the most in the world with just a few minutes away and it was too much to bear even for an impassive person like her.

Her father didn't know how to help her, holding her close was not improving things and he did the only thing that came to his mind: to call Tzuyu "answer, fast" he said in a low voice after yet another hiccup from her daughter.

"Hello?" the girl replied after some seconds "who's talking?"

"It's me, uncle Kim. You have to come to the hospital right away and help me calm Dahyun, she'll feel bad if we don't do something and you also know she won't let me get help from the doctors"

"I'll be right there" came the sound of the car door closing "what happened to make her feel so bad?" she was getting very worried, hearing the way her best friend was crying.

Mr. Kim placed a hand on her daughter's head very gently "my mother died a little while ago"

 

 

 

That evening the girls were having dinner in silence, having come to have three empty chairs, and because of the pain they were experiencing. They were all fond of Ms. Kim and had all regarded her as a grandmother and an example to follow, so that loss hurt all of them.

Jeongyeon swallowed the bite with difficulty and looked at Tzuyu "when will the funeral be? The least we can do is give her the last farewell, doing it properly"

"The day after tomorrow, so said uncle" replied Chaeyoung, seeing that Tzuyu couldn't speak "I'll ask him if we can go, he said he wanted to have a private ceremony and in that case I wouldn't even know what to do to go there"

"Did any of you manage to contact Sana? Dahyun often called her name" asked the youngest of the group, breaking the silence that was created again "I think something has happened"

Momo looked at her with sorry "she asked me to offer condolences to Dahyun from her, I think they broke up but she didn't want to tell me anything. She just called me to tell me and immediately closed the call, without even saying hello"

"Dahyun didn't tell us anything" Chaeyoung was wide-eyed "she told me she had to make a video call with her in the afternoon just before her grandmother's death, now I understand the reason for her despair"

"We have to be close to her and help her recover, we can't allow her to isolate herself and suffer alone for all these things" Mina stopped eating "I'm sorry for my sister, knowing her can't be easy even for her, but she made her decision and Dahyun needs more comfort now"

Momo agreed with her sister "I'll ask Sharon to give us a hand, when it comes to cheering someone up she's the best"

 

 

 

It took just over a week for the girls' lives to return to normal: Nayeon and Jeongyeon had to leave for a couple of days to try out the services of the new hotel of the latter's family; Momo and Jihyo had made an appointment to choose a car suitable for the girl's needs; Dahyun had resumed eating thanks to everyone's comfort and constant insistence; Mina and Chaeyoung had joined a book club and were already adjusting to having to read and review one book a week; Tzuyu spent a lot of time with her best friend and Sharon, so as to help the older to raise the brunette's morale. Not even a shadow of Sana, the only ones who had heard from her were her sisters, but she hadn't said anything about her breakup.

That afternoon, only Sharon, Dahyun, and Tzuyu were in the house and they were busy playing video games. Momo was right: Sharon knew how to deal with people and had managed to make Dahyun smile a couple of times in a single hour.

"My plan is to make all the other players fall downstairs, without opponents it would be impossible to get to the finish last" the blonde was all absorbed in a new online game "a lot of kids play this game, we can't let them beat us. It would be too much humiliating"

Dahyun looked at the screen and did what her friend told her, but it was her character who fell down "oops, I'm afraid I was wrong" she said without enthusiasm "what a pity"

"Come on, it was easy! Make Tzuyu try" to pass the controller to the taller girl their hands touched. They looked into each other's eyes, prolonging the contact for as long as possible. At that moment Sharon realized again why she was trying to stop using drugs and Jack to get away from her problems "you try, in these games you are the best"

Tzuyu nodded and began to play, constantly distracted by the presence of her ex. She was in love with her and there was nothing she could do about it; she was left with only the fantasy to be able to be with her in certain ways and she was resorting to it even at that moment, miserably failing her mission to get to the finish line first.

 

 

 

~~

The story has surpassed its middle chapter, so is near its end, but I'm already preparing two stories (little spoilers: one will have babies in it and the other one will be about those creatures who drink blood alias vampires). I hope you all will be with me in those new worlds too!

 

​​​Ps. Have you listened to the songs' previews? I'm really excited for this comeback (more than the others, I have a great feeling about this). For now I want to pick three songs: Icon, Cruel and Last Waltz, but I'm really curious about all the new songs especially the units ones. Which of them are your favourites for now?