Chapter 39

Married To My Bestfriend (IIWMB BOOK TWO)

It was another busy morning for Mina, cleaning their house and doing laundry. She's checking her watch from time to time, afraid that she won't wake up Chaeyoung on the right time. As she was hanging their clothes on the balcony, their door bell rang. 

 

Mina wiped her wet hands on the back of her dress as she walked towards the door. She's thinking if they're expecting a delivery today or visitors. When she opened the door, her jaw almost dropped to see the most unexpected person to be here right now. 

 

"J-jackson? What are you doing here?"

 

Jackson smiled at her sheepishly. "Hi Mina... uh, how are you?"

 

"Well.. good. But, why are you here?"

 

Questions from Mina were answered when she saw another familiar figure approaching them.

 

"I wasn't really here just because I wanted to check up on you but also.." then she looked at Somi, who is now standing in front of Mina, staring at her.

 

"Mina.."

 

"Hey, S-somi..." she smiled at her, trying to ease the awkwardness that's rising. "Oh how rude of me, would you guys like to come in?"

 

"No, Mina, it's fine. We won't take that long, we're catching up a flight at ten this morning" Jackson explained.

 

"Flight?" Mina's brows furrowed.

 

"Yes Mina, I'm flying back to US and I'm bringing my sister with me. Somi just asked me to drop by here quickly"

 

"That's why I'm here Mina.. because I want to-" Somi's words were cut off. 

 

"See Chaeyoung? Oh, she's still sleeping but uh.. I can wake her up for you" 

 

Somi shook her head. "Mina, I'm sorry. I'm here to say I'm sorry to you, personally" 

 

Mina's throat had gone dry, she watched Jackson as he walked away, giving them a little privacy. He really knew why her sister wanted to see Mina. 

 

"Somi.. I'd lie if I'll say that you didn't hurt me because God knows how I was really hurt" she saw how Somi lowered her head, nodding as if she's ready to hear whatever Mina has to say. "But.. I understand why you did it. I already forgave you, Somi" 

 

Somi looked back up at her, eyes already welling up with tears. As if she doesn't even expected to hear those words from Mina. To hear that she's.. forgiven. 

 

"But Mina... I hurted you a lot. I.. almost broke the two of you apart" she had to swallow to remove the lump on . "How could you f-forgive me that easily?" 

 

"Because I understand you. I understand that we'll do whatever we can for the person we love. You did nothing wrong, Somi.." Mina slowly walked to her and pulled her for a hug. 

 

"You just loved someone and I'm sorry that.. we loved the same person in this lifetime" 

 

"Shall we go now?" Jackson butted in so Somi pulled back from the hug, wiping her tears and nodded on her brother.

 

"Have a safe flight, you two" Mina smiled at them.

 

"Thank you and sorry Mina, for everything. Can you just please tell it to Chaeyoung too?" Mina nodded at her. Somi smiled before walking away.

 

"So... I guess this is goodbye for now" Jackson said.

 

"Yeah, I guess so"

 

"Mina, please stay strong, you and Chaeyoung. I know you'll get through it together" Jackson then suddenly hugged her. "Till we meet again, Mina"

 

Mina watched the two of them disappear on the hallway. She was so relieved that morning, she doesn't even regret on talking to the both of them. It's really great to give forgiveness to everyone, it's like a heavy burden had just been lifted up from her.

 

She glanced at her watch, it's already eight in the morning. Mina walked inside their bedroom to finally wake Chaeyoung up. It's getting more hard to wake her up these days, but Mina wouldn't even give up any single minute.

 

"Good morning, love" she greeted as soon as Chaeyoung fluttered her eyes open. "I love you"

 

"Mina..." Chaeyoung smiled widely, a sign of relief every morning. "I love you too"

 

Over breakfast, Mina told Chaeyoung everything about Somi and Jackson visiting. She was a bit sad that Mina didn't wake her up at that time because she wanted to apologize to Somi, too. For dragging her, for even using her and taking advantage of her feelings for Chaeyoung. But Mina already reassured her that everything is already fine. That Chaeyoung too, is forgiven. For everything.

 

Days passed, one sunny afternoon, they were both on the living room watching random movies. Chaeyoung had just woken up from her fifth time sleeping that day, when she suddenly turned to Mina and tell her something.

 

"Mina, let's visit Maddie"

 

As usual, Mina is the one who's driving. It was so sudden of Chaeyoung to ask to visit Maddie but Mina wanted to do it too.

 

"Baby, your birthday is approaching. What do you want to do?" Mina started a conversation just to keep Chaeyoung awake.

 

Chaeyoung furrowed her brows as if forgetting again that her birthday is already coming. "Is it next week already?"

 

"Yes" Mina chuckled, although a bit concerned.

 

"Well.. I don't really have plans. And I don't want to throw a party too, Mina. I'll just get exhausted even before my party starts"

 

"Alright. Let's have a simple dinner then. With our family and friends" And so it was agreed upon.

 

They walked at the cemetery towards where Maddie is located. Mina and Chaeyoung placed the white rose that they bought from the vendor along the sidewalk. They sat on the grass, Chaeyoung was removing little dirt that's covering Maddie's name.

 

"Hi bub, how are you up there? Are you enjoying being the most precious angel for me and mommy?"

 

Mina smiled upon hearing Chaeyoung talking to their daughter. She just let her be, Mina kept silent although she wanted to cry because she remembered again that one time Chaeyoung forgot about Maddie... being gone.

 

"Mommy is fine here, she's still pretty and she always took a lot of care of me" Chaeyoung looked at Mina and smiled. "Baby, will you took care of mommy too for me?"

 

"Chaeng.."

 

"Maddie, are you lonely there?" Chaeyoung looked up, Mina could see how her eyes glisten because of tears forming. "If I come with you.. what about mommy here? She'll be more sad. Baby.. she'll be left alone"

 

"C-chaeng.. stop it, please" Mina was already crying. It was just too heartbreaking to hear how Chaeyoung is also afraid of leaving her, just how much Mina is afraid to be left alone.

 

"Bubba, I think I can't leave mommy alone yet. What should mom do?"

 

Mina can't take it anymore, she pulled Chaeyoung and hugged her so tight. She's crying again on Mina's arms like a child.

 

An outcry from a heart that is so desperate to live.

 

"Love, please don't cry.. it's okay, everything will be okay. Right? We can do this, baby"

 

"Mina, I don't want to.. die. I don't want to live you alone. I just can't..."

 

"I know baby, I know.. and I know you won't leave me" Mina caressed her back to calm her down. She hugged Chaeyoung until her crying stopped. "Chaeyoung, you won't die" 

 

They decided to go back home since it's starting to get dark. Chaeyoung stumbled upon standing almost falling if Mina didn't held her arm. The ride back home was silent, well Chaeyoung has fallen asleep again. She's complaining of getting dizzy and headache so Mina told her to rest.

 

Mina was waking up Chaeyoung when they arrived at their building but.. she wouldn't budge. Mina's heart was already beating so fast because Chaeyoung won't wake up. When another five minutes had passed, Mina started the ignition again and drove as fast as she could to the hospital.

 

Clearly, Chaeyoung had collapsed...

 

Since that night, Chaeyoung was confined at the hospital for a week now. The Doctor advised that this is for the better, so that they could monitor Chaeyoung well. She's planning to undergo with the surgery, and her body isn't getting any stronger. It's just getting worser, so Mina decided that they should just stay here. It'll be much of a help.

 

It's already Chaeyoung's birthday, and because of the unexpected circumstances, she will be celebrating it at the hospital. Mina invited their friends and just their family. Just a little get together and a dinner. Chaeyoung is still asleep but Yeri, Dahyun, Nayeon and Soehyun was there so Mina left her with them as she need to go to her mom and sister who's waiting at the lobby.

 

"Mina!" Jihyo hugged her as soon as she saw her.

 

"What is this again, Mina?! Are you back with that kid? And why are we in a hospital?!" Taeyeon asked angrily.

 

"Mom, please, calm down and lower your voice" she tried to calm her down. "It's Chaeyoung's birthday and we're celebrating it here"

 

"I don't care if it's her-"

 

"Mom, Chaeyoung is sick.. she has a cancer. Stage four"

 

All three of them were silent as they took the elevator to were Chaeyoung's room is. When they entered, Chaeyoung is already awake and is happily talking to her friends.

 

"Mina!" Chaeyoung cheerfully called her as soon as she saw her. "Come here, come here"

 

Mina chuckled at her as everyone just watched them. "Hey, what is it?"

 

"Yeri, Dahyun.. this is Mina" They were looking so confused on why Chaeyoung is suddenly introducing Mina to the both of them. Mina though, understands what's happening. "Mina, this is Yeri and Dahyun. My friends!"

 

"I k-know, Chaeng.." Mina answered her, smiling through her pain. But she didn't know that Chaeyoung's next words will break her more.

 

"Guys, this is Mina.. my bestfriend"

 

Everyone were dead silent, it's like just only heavy breathing and the gasps after Chaeyoung said that was heard. Only Chaeyoung was smiling at that moment, and when she looked at Mina, she had to force a smile, too.

 

After eating and talking, everyone is already leaving. Mina walked their friends just at the lobby, just to show how thankful she is for them for coming and makinh Chaeyoung happy on her special day. The three of them hugged Mina tightly, telling her to be strong. Mina could feel how they felt bad because of what happened.

 

Because of Chaeyoung forgetting that... Mina is her wife.

 

When she's about to go back, her sister was already outside and after few minutes, her mom followed. Mina watched them leave before she entered the room once again, taking deep a breath to suppress her emotions.

 

"Hi, happy birthday" Mina greeted her again as she walked to Chaeyoung's side. She was about to lean in to give Chaeyoung a kiss on the lips but.. Chaeyoung moved her face away. 

 

"Mina.. are you going to.. kiss me?" 

 

Mina was so startled at that. It's like a cold bucket of water was being poured on her. She blinked twice and tried to clear . She felt like crying right there and then. 

 

"Oh. I'm sorry" she faked a smile. "Hey, are you tired?" Mina asked changing the topic. 

 

"Just a little" Chaeyoung answered and yawned. "Well uh, a little bit sleepy too"

 

"You should sleep and rest. I'll just clean up okay?" Chaeyoung nodded and Mina fixed her blanket.

 

After cleaning the mess on the room, Mina entered the bathroom. She stared at herself on the mirror, thinking about everything that happened. Mina saw how pathetic she is on that mirror. Crying silently as she clutched on her heart. She tried her best to calm down, Mina washed her face before returning to the room.

 

Mina settled herself on the small space on Chaeyoung's bed. She carefully lied down afraid that she might woke hee up. Mina stared at Chaeyoung's peaceful face but she just can't help herself from crying again. She placed her head on Chaeyoung's arm and hugged her. Stiffling her sobs so that she couldn't hear her.

 

But.. Mina failed. "Mina, are you crying?"

 

Mina was so quick to stop herself from sobbing and shook her head. "N-no.."

 

"Let me see" Chaeyoung then held Mina's face and made her look at her. And there she saw the tears still falling on her face. "You are crying.. tell me what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

 

Mina can't find the words to say, it's like her voice was suddenly gone. All she could do was to lean in unto Chaeyoung's touch on her face as she cried more.

 

"Please Mina.. I'm getting worried. What's wrong?"

 

"Chaeyoung.." finally, Mina got back her voice. "I'm just so scared right now"

 

"Scared of... what?"

 

"Of everything Chaeyoung.. of everything"

 

"Tell me what it is, Mina" she said while caressing Mina's face.

 

"I'm so scared of you, leaving me. I'm so scared to be left alone. I'm so scared to wake up one day and you're gone" Mina tried to breathe from her sobs. 

 

"I am so ing scared that you'll... forget me fully because Chaeyoung, I'm not your bestfriend. I am your wife.."

 

Chaeyoung stared at her for long, as if trying to recover her lost memories. Mina knew that Chaeyoung understands her, she knew because the pain on Chaeyoung's eyes tell her.

 

Suddenly, a soft lips touched Mina's lips. As she opened her eyes, Chaeyoung was smiling at her.

 

Smiling painfully.

 

"Mina, I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I am forgetting things about you.. about us. And I'll already apologize if I'm gonna forget more of you on the days that will come"

 

Mina nodded. Crying at the scary future ahead of them.

 

"But.. I want you to remember this, whatever happens. Mina.. my mind may forget about you but my heart will never"

 

"My heart will always remember how much I love you.. till the day I die"